Profile For Rick C.

Rick C.'s Info

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 3 months ago

Rick C.'s Bio

Dual citizen living in Calgary. Drove for about 8 months back in the '90s. Starting over and giving it a second try, assuming technology and maturity will make it tolerable.

Rick C.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

My #1 Concern starting career in trucking

So you're both in the sleeper for off duty?

CFI is now 25 days with a trainer. You do all the driving. You're dispatched as a solo truck.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime pay raise & guarantee Team Pay

A couple of weeks ago I resigned from my construction driving job (too hard on the body) after eight months. I just hired on with a new company on Friday. It's a team driving role, and I'm told to expect my first load assignment later today or tonight. I came here just now to look for a team driving checklist of some kind, and advice if any posted.

We're going to be on a repeating triangle run, Surrey BC to Calgary AB to Houston TX back to Surrey. I don't really want to do this, team, I'd be satisfied with solo pay, and setting my own schedule as you mention, Kearsey, but this will get me over the one year milestone and all the added options that adds.

I have a few of the concerns I've seen mentioned before... does the guy bathe regularly? Is he raising three kids and want to hammer, hammer, hammer with as little downtime as necessary? (The company says they don't want us to drive like that, because of the burnout and employee turnover; we'll see.) What bunk does the guy want and will I have access to the table and seats when I want them? (Brand new Freightliner Cascadia I'm told, sweet.) Will he take offense if I turn down his offering of food? (Lol, yes, many East Indians take offense at that, according to the owner!)

At any rate, I am stoked for a new adventure in team driving, being out of one's comfort zone periodically is a good thing I've found, after the short-term pain that is.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Which of the "paid CDL" carriers regularly run to Canada, especially the west?

Anyone know if any of these carriers regularly get into western Canada, or even into Alberta and Calgary? Maybe there's not many, or I'm using the wrong search strings in google, but I'm not finding much yet.

Posted:  4 months ago

Starting a trucking career at 63... and during this pandemic...

Go for it! Last year I went to a private school and got my commercial license in October. Within two weeks of inquiring to a local aggregate hauler I had a job. On the 16th, ten days ago, I passed the six-month experience milestone and, wow, today I got an offer from a carrier, via Indeed, to apply for a position hauling bulk agricultural commodities. The demand is out there, despite the pandemic apparently.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trailer brake

Let's see if I can make a fair reply...

When are you teaming up with The History Channel for your show, Rick?

rofl-3.gifrofl-3.gif

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trailer brake

Thank you for your "benefit of the doubt" reply. I don't think you needed to cynically dig me with "or contrive", though.

It happened just the way I described it. I did not hit the throttle because I had a controlled road crossing ahead, there are two on that hill. I will send you a google maps satellite view shot of it if you like. The jakes were on because I'd been driving all day in good weather on good ground and forgot about them. The blizzard was at altitude, where I load, not down where I drop the load. As I mentioned, the trailer brake is sensitive, but I knew that. Pulling it just under half way kept the wheels turning, but gave them just enough resistance to straighten the unit. Of course I turned the jake off completely for the rest of the trip. I had the presence of mind to do it. Shrug.

I recently used mine coming down a steep hill in a blizzard with a load of gravel. Truck started jackknifing because I had the engine braking still set on high (blizzard came on quick). Handily straightened the rig right out. Gotta use a delicate touch, though, they'll lock the trailer wheels up pretty easy. Anyway, glad to have it available.

Now THAT'S a trucker story if I ever heard one!!! It's a long way from being in the Hall of Fame, but a good one nonetheless.

A rookie driver going down a mountain loaded heavy in a blizzard has the presence of mind, quickness, and delicate touch to prevent an ongoing tractor jackknife by easing on the trolley brake just in the nick of time?

rofl-3.gif

That's a fantasy scenario you dreamed up in your head, friend. Sounded great, though. If you were that good, the Jakes wouldn't have been on full blast in that scenario in the first place. Instead of hitting the trolley bar you would have gotten on the throttle which would have shut off the Jakes and helped you accelerate out of the slide at the same time.

Great story, though. Went good with my coffee.

smile.gif

You clearly got lucky...a very dangerous move. Nothing you say or contrive will convince me otherwise.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trailer brake

rofl-3.gif

Great story, though. Went good with my coffee.

smile.gif

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trailer brake

Posted:  7 months ago

Views From the Office Window (Post Yours Please!)

0691861001583091770.jpg

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Rookie who can’t stand otr training

I picked up a local job, hauling aggregate, right out of CDL school, with no experience. The pay is good, the hours are moderate, the overtime is great, and I'm home every day. When the weather turns nasty we take time off, so there's always breaks (at least in winter). Summer is real busy, apparently we'll drive to the legal limit, but I expect to make enough then to take next winter off.

I love the experience I'm getting. City and highway driving, challenging roads into and out of pits, construction routes constantly changing, steady requirement to change up between using the automatic and manual transmission modes of my truck, learning how to spread various aggregates, etc.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Vent & Brag for the week

Vent: a four-wheeler blew through their red light while I was half way into the intersection. Skimmed right by my front bumper. Worried me for a second because I wondered, "did I do something wrong?" Other drivers told me no, they do it there often because you're turning onto a hill and they don't want to be behind you. :(

Brag: finally learned how to use tandem's interlock, manual transmission mode, and button timing just right to spread a load of heavy clay, along a curve, without hanging up my trailer wheels in the spread (and stalling, needing a bulldozer to push me). :)

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Three cheers for The High Road CDL training program & Trucking Truth

Good news, well done!

Just so happens today that I passed my written exam as well. Medical done, so only the road test remains.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Secret to ontime delivery.

Lol, nice.

But if dispatch gets one they'll start expecting you to deliver yesterday. Oh, wait, nm.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

An observation since I started driving my POV like a professional

I've begun to drive my car better thanks to CDL school, and keeping a proper following distance is one of the things I'm doing more. Since I started keeping a 2-second interval (yes, it's more for trucks) between me and the vehicle ahead I've been noticing a few more drivers tailgating me, and a couple of those were road raging (the finger, aggressive lane change in front of me--one guy nearly lost control of his pickup). It seems I'm giving the appearance of being a slow driver, even though I'm simply pacing the cars in front! Sigh, impatient city folk.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Driver shortage still the top issue for truckload carriers - ATRI

I like Tim Lester's comment, how he is making an analogy so that office workers can understand OTR trucking. But I think he leaves a couple of points out. He says, "imagine if you will, having to sit at your desk for up to 14 hours every day and then sleeping on a cot in your office." That's not quite the full picture, imo. Imagine that while you're sitting there you cannot move your feet from under your desk for hours at a time, nor can you stand up; yes, you can fidget, but that's it, until your next break. Also imagine that you have to keep at least one but for safety's sake two hands on your keyboard for hours at a time, until your next break. And imagine that you must stare at your screen for hours at a time, not changing apps or websites, and that while the content does change it is largely not at your discretion.

Posted:  11 months, 4 weeks ago

Big decision time

Isn't it like 115° there in the summer, though? Tradeoffs...

Posted:  11 months, 4 weeks ago

Failed CDL test #2 - backing again

Here in Alberta we get only a truck and half length for headroom for the test, about 106' for a 48' trailer, and about 110' for a 53' trailer. I wish we got the 140' of headroom all those youtube videos show!

I have started nailing my offsets, and the way I do it is to go a foot PAST my landing gear when doing the first steer. When the second, counter-steer runs out of room, long before the rig is lined up, I do a pullup off at the angle of my trailer. Since I jacked the truck so far with the first steer, the trailer is inevitably coming into the hole "late", i.e. towards the far side cone. So my pullup at that angle moves my trailer back towards the early side. Now, when I do get the rig lined up, I have an angled back towards and around the inside cone. Easy after that, and if I get a bit too close to the cone, I've got another pullup available.

My instructor just changed her mind about how I get to do my 90° alley dock. I was nailing it with a gentle arc into the hole, using GOAL to check the angle. Now she wants me to jackknife it in instead. So I'm going to use the same tactic as I do for offset. I will start the jackknife LATE so that I'm coming into the hole late. Then the first pullup will walk the trailer back and get it close to aimed at the hole.

Posted:  1 year ago

Newbie problems with trip planning..

I like to calculate estimated drive time to my delivery. Then look at how many total hours between now and my delivery appt. Subtract my drive time from the total time and now I'm left with total amount of time I can spend parked. Now I'll divide that by 10 to see how many 10 hour breaks I could fit in, plus any spare hours.

Now you can break those numbers up and move them around to see how many hours a day you need to drive and how many breaks you'll be taking. Once you know about how many hours a day you'll be driving you can plan out where you want to stop and at what time.

I usually do the math on a pocket notepad so I can visualize and double check my planned use of hours.

You may want to shut down sooner one day if your going to hit a city at rush hour, and get an early start to cover that ground next shift when traffic is better. Or if you in an area where parking is competitive, definitely shut down early if you can. I once spent 4 hours hopping from truck stop to truck stop to rest area until I finally found a dirt lot behind a gas station. That was I64 and I77 through WV and VA late at night.

I like that. Just clipped it to my driving notebook, thank you.

Posted:  1 year ago

Another trucking company closes.

From a lot of company owners , the trade fight that Trump has been having with China has been hurting them big time

Because most of the new start ups only saw the pot of gold and did not correctly plan for the hard times when rates dropped to near normal levels. Lack of planning leads to poor results. In their case too much money going out and not enough coming in. Simple economics.Rates now are what they were 24 months ago, so it has little to do with Thr President. Nice try, though.

Biggest problem right now: rates lower than 2018 and out of control insurance rates, helped by tort lawyers.

End of rant.

Imho... It could mainly be about those tariffs. Consumption falls when prices rise (and income is held constant). So it makes sense that freight bookings decline because sales are declining because prices are rising because tariffs are a tax added to prices. And rates will fall, too, as carriers compete for a shrinking number of loads.

That said, those startups may simply not be diversified enough to weather a downturn, so you're right about them perhaps not planning well.

Posted:  1 year ago

Another trucking company closes.

To the extent that it's cheaper to buy your imports domestically than to import them, that could be true, because on average more origins will be inland than from ports, i.e. shorter runs.