Profile For Bingo

Bingo's Info

OR

Company Driver In Training

3 months, 1 week ago

Bingo's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Bingo's Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 days, 7 hours ago

5:45 hours gained

Ugh. You are one of THOSE guys that drives 55 in Cali... lol.

Posted:  4 days, 22 hours ago

I messed up

Thanks for the replies everyone. You have made me feel much better, lol.

Posted:  4 days, 22 hours ago

I messed up

One hole off I would not have worried about that, either. The cops aren't looking too closely at anything that minor.

I considered that, but on this particular trailer it has a big arrow pointing down with 40' written above it where my rear tires are supposed to be centered.

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

What do you miss?

So far, mostly being able to drive on any road I want and park where I will, lol.

Other than that, I miss my mountains and the great outdoors (I'm from a town in the foothills of the Cascades in Oregon), hanging out and drinking with friends and family, having a bathroom, shower, kitchen, wifi, a desk, a nice bed, room for my stuff, and room to move around at home, lol. Going fishing after work and on weekends and I am missing hunting season as we speak.

However I am seeing so much more country and places, environments, and flora & fauna (I love geology and biology), and I am learning new things. OTR may not be forever for me, but I am enjoying the new experiences while it lasts.

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

I messed up

So I get on my solo week at the end of my company training program, and I go to pick up my first solo load. I show up and get loaded, my weight is fine, but a storm just hit in montana and the roads are icy and they shut down the interstate and I get stuck in a rest stop. No big deal the dispatcher says, these things happen. About 18hrs later I am up and running again and I make it to just before the california border the next day and I stop to check my tandems to make sure they are california legal. I am one pin too far back so I try to slide them and one pin won't stay back, so I go around to the passenger side of the trailer to try to figure it out and realised that I made a mistake. When I inspected the trailer I only checked the locking pins on the drivers side and not the passenger, and the passenger side is missing the one opposite of the pin that won't retract. It was too late on a friday for the local TA to order the part, so they did it on monday, and they didn't get it yesterday like they said they would. They got it today and now my load is going to be almost a week late mostly because of a mistake I made. All on my forst solo load on my solo week when I am supposed to be showing the company that I can do this and be reliable.

Do you think they will let me go for this? I have been good so far, passing everything on my first attempt and being reliable and hard working teaming with my coach. Might this mistake ruin their confidence in me?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Murphy's Law for truckers.

4. No matter what direction you are driving, if there is any wind, it will be a side wind. =P

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

GPS and dash cam.

Thanks guys. I'm on a budget, so a cheap gps and cheap dash cam it is. Anyone have experience with multiple brands? Do you think Rand, Garmin, or Tomtom are better?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

GPS and dash cam.

They don't have an ootion to keep the gps hooked up to a power supply?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Front sensor faulting.

Built in. It comes up on the center screen in the middle of the gauges.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Front sensor faulting.

I'm not sure what the system name is. Glad I won't be driving it through the winter, think they are most likely to stick a newbie in an older rig when they go solo.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Front sensor faulting.

My coach doesn't know why it happens, and I am working on theories, but I am wondering if it happens to others. The issue is this: the sensor that tells you how far a vehicle is in front of you and how fast they are traveling is quite frequently saying that there is a vehicle 0 ft in front with 0 secs following distance going the same speed you are. It pops up the yellow warning message and makes a beep, covering the little information display and annoying the heck out of you because it is doing it so much. I have had it in a constant state of fault for hours on end, beeping and showing the message every 15-20 seconds. To top this off, it also sometimes sets off the collision alert when there is nobody in front of you and if you are just starting to pull forward, it will lock the brakes on you and you have to start again and again until it stops and you can get moving. It also once had a collision alert when I was going over 50mph and automatically did a hard brake for a second or two (very dangerous).

I keep the sensor cover well cleaned and I have noticed it tends to act up most in more populated areas. Driving I-5 through California is when it is the worst. I have wondered about possible signal interference? Are bumps shaking things loose? Is anyone else having this issue? (Coach's truck is a 2020 cascadia btw.)

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

GPS and dash cam.

I was doing some light research and it looks like getting a gps tablet with a built-in dashcam is about the same price or cheaper than getting the cam seperately and a cheaper gps. Does anyone have experience with these that want to chime in?

I've seen how some drivers are around big rigs and want to make sure my ass is covered with a dashcam in case something does happen.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Murphy's Law for truckers.

For students . . . . The ONE maneuver that you are the worst at is the one you will get. AND, expect a full truck pre-trip.

Just sayin . . .

Yeah, I got the full pretrip, but I did it perfectly. You should know it all though and not gamble on getting one or another area.

Do they only test for one random maneuver where you tested?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Fatality Due to Apparently Improperly Secured Flatbed Load

With a load like that, I wouldn't haul it without a headache rack on the front of the trailer. Any redneck worth his pickup knows that you always have something sturdy enough between you and what you are hauling to catch what you are hauling.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Sooo many varied jobs. But in the year leading up to getting my CDL, I worked for a door factory (boring as hell and payed very little), a foundation repair and waterproofing company, and then driving seed trucks for my brother-in-law's farm while I waited for school to start.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

First day hits hard

Being ex-military, and having worked a great variety of different jobs, I can say that for up-rooting your life and changing your lifestyle, OTR trucking is second only to joining the armed services in my experience. Military experience definitely made things much easier for me than others I have seen going through the company-sponsored training, but from what I have seen, it always looks harder and more intimidating from the start than what it ends up being when you look back on it.

Stick with it and keep focused on the benefits. Be optimistic about how you can make this be an improvement to your life, and in a few months, the "enormity" won't seem like such a big deal.

Most importantly: have fun exploring new places and seeing new things!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Heartland buys Millis

Have hope! I heard from a long time Jim Palmer driver that when Wilson logistics took over, things actually got better. You'll just have to wait and see, not much use in speculating and worrying.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

What Would You Do In This Situation?

I don't think you could have done it any better. The flatbedder was an idiot and he was lucky you and the guy in front of you could think and act quickly. I'll bet he doesn't sit on the tracks ever again, lol.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

What are those cylinders you see on the side of some older tractors?

What are those cylinders you see on the side of some older tractors? They sit in front of the doors on the cab and have little holes around the top.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Murphy's Law for truckers.

Plan for that stuff but every once in a blue moon you'll get a day like I had today.

660 miles. Six scale houses. Got a CLOSED or a BYPASS on all of them. No traffic, no accidents, no cops, no equipment failures. It was WEIRD!!

Total run time with a 45 minute break was 11hrs and 40minutes.

On a Friday. I'll take it.

Had about 610 yesterday, lots of road construction though and a major thunderstorm for about 400 of it. For a newbie driver, going up and down hills when it is raining and hailing so hard that you can't see much and dealing with 20mph gusts of wind and hydroplaning can be pretty nerve racking. Luckily I have plenty of experience in adverse conditions in personal vehicles and my trainer was right next to me guiding me through it all. He told me if I got scared at any point to pull over and he would drive, but I knew I could handle it and could use the experience. Most of the thunderstorm stretch was just rain and light winds though.