Profile For Bingo

Bingo's Info

OR

Rookie Solo Driver

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Bingo's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Bingo's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 month ago

Highs and Lows - Passed Permit test, got flagged for sleep apnea test

As long as you empty the water supply box every day, and wipe it dry, you can use tap water.

My father uses a cpap, and his doctor said tap water is usually treated with chlorine to kill off pathogens. This means there is chlorine in the water and the cpap turns it into chlorine gas, which is really bad for you.

Posted:  1 month ago

Staying Relevant In A Competitive Environment

I'm still pretty new, and I get a bit of anxiety asking my dispatcher if I can deliver early all the time. I really hate to bug people and make more work for them, but I am always getting loads that I can deliver a lot earlier than the due date on them. Like the one I am on now. 4 days and a few hours for a 720 mile run. The miles I made at the end of the day today, plus a drive shift tomorrow will set me up nicely to deliver the following morning. I don't need those other two days, so I am going to have to ask again if I can deliver early or drop at a yard since it will be on a weekend.

Maybe they like me bugging them like that and I am anxious over nothing, lol.

Posted:  1 month ago

Some Drivers!

The one I run into most often is drivers exiting out of the entrance. No biggie in most places, but in some, it gets pretty tight. Not too long ago, I was trying to get into the TA outside of Snoqualmie, WA, and one of Swift's DIAMOND drivers was trying to exit the entrance and I had to pull in for him to make the turn to get out... well I could only pull in part way because he didn't give me enough room. He finally figured out he would have to pull partly into the road for me to get past his trailer and get my butt end out of the road. Then I had to wait for a Penske truck and a pickup pulling a camper to squeak past me because they were going the wrong way too. If the parking hadn't been full, it wouldn't have been as tight, but still, the drivers should have known better.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

5:45 hours gained

Ugh. You are one of THOSE guys that drives 55 in Cali... lol.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I messed up

Thanks for the replies everyone. You have made me feel much better, lol.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I messed up

One hole off I would not have worried about that, either. The cops aren't looking too closely at anything that minor.

I considered that, but on this particular trailer it has a big arrow pointing down with 40' written above it where my rear tires are supposed to be centered.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

What do you miss?

So far, mostly being able to drive on any road I want and park where I will, lol.

Other than that, I miss my mountains and the great outdoors (I'm from a town in the foothills of the Cascades in Oregon), hanging out and drinking with friends and family, having a bathroom, shower, kitchen, wifi, a desk, a nice bed, room for my stuff, and room to move around at home, lol. Going fishing after work and on weekends and I am missing hunting season as we speak.

However I am seeing so much more country and places, environments, and flora & fauna (I love geology and biology), and I am learning new things. OTR may not be forever for me, but I am enjoying the new experiences while it lasts.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I messed up

So I get on my solo week at the end of my company training program, and I go to pick up my first solo load. I show up and get loaded, my weight is fine, but a storm just hit in montana and the roads are icy and they shut down the interstate and I get stuck in a rest stop. No big deal the dispatcher says, these things happen. About 18hrs later I am up and running again and I make it to just before the california border the next day and I stop to check my tandems to make sure they are california legal. I am one pin too far back so I try to slide them and one pin won't stay back, so I go around to the passenger side of the trailer to try to figure it out and realised that I made a mistake. When I inspected the trailer I only checked the locking pins on the drivers side and not the passenger, and the passenger side is missing the one opposite of the pin that won't retract. It was too late on a friday for the local TA to order the part, so they did it on monday, and they didn't get it yesterday like they said they would. They got it today and now my load is going to be almost a week late mostly because of a mistake I made. All on my forst solo load on my solo week when I am supposed to be showing the company that I can do this and be reliable.

Do you think they will let me go for this? I have been good so far, passing everything on my first attempt and being reliable and hard working teaming with my coach. Might this mistake ruin their confidence in me?

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Murphy's Law for truckers.

4. No matter what direction you are driving, if there is any wind, it will be a side wind. =P

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

GPS and dash cam.

Thanks guys. I'm on a budget, so a cheap gps and cheap dash cam it is. Anyone have experience with multiple brands? Do you think Rand, Garmin, or Tomtom are better?

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

GPS and dash cam.

They don't have an ootion to keep the gps hooked up to a power supply?

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Front sensor faulting.

Built in. It comes up on the center screen in the middle of the gauges.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Front sensor faulting.

I'm not sure what the system name is. Glad I won't be driving it through the winter, think they are most likely to stick a newbie in an older rig when they go solo.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Front sensor faulting.

My coach doesn't know why it happens, and I am working on theories, but I am wondering if it happens to others. The issue is this: the sensor that tells you how far a vehicle is in front of you and how fast they are traveling is quite frequently saying that there is a vehicle 0 ft in front with 0 secs following distance going the same speed you are. It pops up the yellow warning message and makes a beep, covering the little information display and annoying the heck out of you because it is doing it so much. I have had it in a constant state of fault for hours on end, beeping and showing the message every 15-20 seconds. To top this off, it also sometimes sets off the collision alert when there is nobody in front of you and if you are just starting to pull forward, it will lock the brakes on you and you have to start again and again until it stops and you can get moving. It also once had a collision alert when I was going over 50mph and automatically did a hard brake for a second or two (very dangerous).

I keep the sensor cover well cleaned and I have noticed it tends to act up most in more populated areas. Driving I-5 through California is when it is the worst. I have wondered about possible signal interference? Are bumps shaking things loose? Is anyone else having this issue? (Coach's truck is a 2020 cascadia btw.)

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

GPS and dash cam.

I was doing some light research and it looks like getting a gps tablet with a built-in dashcam is about the same price or cheaper than getting the cam seperately and a cheaper gps. Does anyone have experience with these that want to chime in?

I've seen how some drivers are around big rigs and want to make sure my ass is covered with a dashcam in case something does happen.

Posted:  3 months ago

Murphy's Law for truckers.

For students . . . . The ONE maneuver that you are the worst at is the one you will get. AND, expect a full truck pre-trip.

Just sayin . . .

Yeah, I got the full pretrip, but I did it perfectly. You should know it all though and not gamble on getting one or another area.

Do they only test for one random maneuver where you tested?

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Fatality Due to Apparently Improperly Secured Flatbed Load

With a load like that, I wouldn't haul it without a headache rack on the front of the trailer. Any redneck worth his pickup knows that you always have something sturdy enough between you and what you are hauling to catch what you are hauling.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Sooo many varied jobs. But in the year leading up to getting my CDL, I worked for a door factory (boring as hell and payed very little), a foundation repair and waterproofing company, and then driving seed trucks for my brother-in-law's farm while I waited for school to start.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

First day hits hard

Being ex-military, and having worked a great variety of different jobs, I can say that for up-rooting your life and changing your lifestyle, OTR trucking is second only to joining the armed services in my experience. Military experience definitely made things much easier for me than others I have seen going through the company-sponsored training, but from what I have seen, it always looks harder and more intimidating from the start than what it ends up being when you look back on it.

Stick with it and keep focused on the benefits. Be optimistic about how you can make this be an improvement to your life, and in a few months, the "enormity" won't seem like such a big deal.

Most importantly: have fun exploring new places and seeing new things!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Heartland buys Millis

Have hope! I heard from a long time Jim Palmer driver that when Wilson logistics took over, things actually got better. You'll just have to wait and see, not much use in speculating and worrying.