Profile For Phantom 850

Phantom 850's Info

Baker, FL

Company Driver In Training

8 months, 3 weeks ago

Phantom 850's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Phantom 850's Photo Gallery

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

On a lighter note. You’ve heard of Elf on the Shelf? My trainer invented Suck on the truck.

0639310001570399654.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

Making miles in bunches. Home to Pittsburg, then upstate New York, down to Jacksonville, up to the ATL, then back to PA. They’re keeping us loaded and moving. That’s good because we’re kinda racing the clock. My trainer has a wedding to go to in Vegas the second week in November. I’ve actually been invited, but that’s a week down and I can’t afford the loss. It’s a coin flip if I’ll make my solo week by then.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

My journey with Wilson Logistics/Jim Palmer

Phantom, I appreciate the reply and after reading your thread, I'm more sure than ever that I've made the right choice. As for my nerves... Let me let you in on a secret... First responders (Fire, EMS, and LEO's) all can appear rock steady in the face of insurmountable odds, but inside they are nervous as F***!!! We literally train ourselves to not show any emotion. It's something that drives my wife mad sometimes, like when I didn't cry the day my daughter was born. (Proudest day of my life by the way.) As for the instructors, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. I respect that you don't name names. (Also something drilled into us in the academy. haha) I'm honestly not too worried about it. I think the hardest thing for me will be the down shifting. But I guess we will see next week!

Fun fact, I’m a retired LEO and a veteran. I had all the training too. (And I cried when both of my girls were born.) There’s just not that much to worry about. Hell, they even let me have a license. You’ll do just fine. As for downshifting, I’ve never even had a chance to drive a manual transmission. There just aren’t that many in the fleet. My trainer has an automated and I didn’t get very much pad time due to trouble getting my medical card. I’m not happy about it, but that’s the way the industry is going. You’ll be fine.

Posted:  6 months ago

My journey with Wilson Logistics/Jim Palmer

Good luck brother. I think you’ll like the company. Given you background, nerves shouldn’t be an issue. That being said, you’re about to meet a colorful cast of characters. The instructors are great, and they don’t bite. Well... not often. If you’ve been reading my thread you’ll see that I didn’t care for one of them much. I just chalked it up to our personalities not meshing, and now that I’m out on the road I don’t have to see him. As always, I won’t name names, but I’ve got a dollar that says you’ll figure out who it is when you get there.

Posted:  6 months ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

So, I’ve talked a lot about the good of this job. Yes, I’ve had some setbacks, but as a whole it’s been a great ride. But for this to be a completely true story I also have to mention the bad. Those of you that are long time Phantom Phollowers know that about a week ago I got home for the first time in two months. Everything was great until the second day. That’s when I was served divorce papers. Before it all starts, I’m not seeking pity or sympathy. We all know where to look to find that. I’m making this post because this is supposed to be a chronicle of the start of my life as a driver. This happened in my life, so it goes in. The next part is I don’t think the job played a major part in it. I’m sure it didn’t help, but there were issues before. Most of which were my fault. I know, I know. Thoughts and prayers, positive vibes, keep your head up and all that. Thank you all in advance. Thankfully I’m back on the road. It’s gives me the three things I need right now. Time, space, and purpose. It’s in hands more capable than mine, and right now I’m trying to worry about the big three. Getting the load in on time, finding parking, and where the nearest steakhouse is.

Posted:  6 months ago

Cool posts. Keep em up! I'm going into my C-seat with Wilson Log. 👍

If you got your license in Springfield I’ve got a dollar that says we’ve met.

Posted:  6 months ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

1983 Manatee Hurricanes alum here... ;) (auuuuugh...old.) Spent 26 years in Bradenton, Florida...almost went with Lester Coggins Tranport, now defunct, in Opahumka. Then I got married, and moved to Ohio, LoL~!

Anyway..... Best of luck to y'all, for sure~!

My momma is Niceville class of ‘82 and I’m class of ‘01.

Posted:  6 months ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

Half the drivers on here weren't born before '88!

rofl-2.gifrofl-2.gif

Hell, I was at the game. I’d just turned 6.

Posted:  6 months ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

Heading to Springfield to start with Wilson soon. (bus leaves NM next Saturday) Enjoyed reading about your experience. Guess policy changed recently to where you have to get your CDL Permit in your home state. Where in FL you from? I spent nearly 20 years of my life growing up in Manatee County off 75.

I’m from a little town in the panhandle called Niceville. We actually beat Bradenton Manatee HS for the 4A state football championship in 1988.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

It's good to hear you're still at it. Those miles will add up quickly once you've off hometime.

Maybe you'll catch me in SPRIMO some time. Look for #11492.

Good luck and stay safe.

I’ll do that. We can sit around and kick the bobo over a cup of Tom’s west coast turnaround coffee.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Any new updates?

Actually, yes. I’m writing this update from the comfort of my lazyboy at home. After schooling and running the roads for two months I’ve made it home. I’m not done with my training yet, near as we figure I’ve got another 5-6 weeks before I’m on my own. My trainer was looking to get some home time so he dropped me off on the way, and he’ll pick me up on the way back. Our go home load was a voodoo load. First we were over gross and had to be reworked. Then we ran it across the shippers scale four times and it wouldn’t balance. It took three trips across a cat to get it right. Then 87 miles from my house it blows a tandem tire. Then my trainer text me today. He blew a drive tire that ate the mud flap, knocked a hole in the apron, and broke of a crossmember. Like I said. Voodoo load.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Your favorite thing about driving a truck.

So, me and my trainer are driving down the highway and we see some kids waiting at a bus stop. Maybe half a dozen or so, and ever one of them is doing the arm pump. Now, I’ve had my CDL for three weeks, so I think I’m a big tough scary trucker, right? So what do I do? I reach over and blip the air horn for them. My trainer and I grinned for the next 100 miles. What those kids don’t know is that most of us get as big a kick out of it as they do. So that brought a topic to mind. Other than payday, what is your favorite part of driving a truck?

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Western North Carolina Bigfoot Festival

I have a vacation home a couple hours west of Marion in Franklin, NC. Way back up in the hills, and I’ve yet to see Bigfoot. Now, I’m from the Florida panhandle, (hence the 850) and when I was a kid my daddy swears he saw one on the Eglin AFB reservation. That guy liked to drink a lot though.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

I've read every page of the thread, following along. At each click, I was ready to see what came next. This thread gave me some insight to how testing goes and the phases of training.

Glad I’m an entertaining read. As for the testing and training goes, it will depend on the company and state. Fun fact: I’m from Florida and now have a Missouri license. Once I get home I’ll have to change it over.

So I’m sitting in a truck stop just south of Chi Town because we’re way ahead of schedule. Got to stop at Iowa 80 in Walcott today. For all you other rookies or truck fans that haven’t been there, you owe it to yourself to go. It’s truck guy Valhalla. I guess I like torturing myself, seeing all the pretty stuff I’m not allowed to put on a company truck. Of to Cleveland in the AM to have lunch with my trainer/mentor/partner/buddy’s mother. Drop in Maryland on Saturday morning, then we’re going to try to swing back to Springfield, then hopefully on home.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Now they're talking about "smart" trailers

As an elder millennial, (we were the first to embrace smartphones, but we remember rotary phones) I love tech. Automated transmissions are amazing, satellite radio is awesome, and DEF, well, I hate DEF. The trick is making tech “trucker proof”. Let’s be real people, we’re hard on stuff. What works in a soccer mom’s suv that does 10,000 miles a year isn’t going to hold up in a truck that does 120,000. If they can make it work, I’m all for it. However, the trap lies in people relying on it too much. All the tech in the world will never replace a good G.O.A.L. A lot of driver love the old school. I’m one of them. There’s nothing cooler than a W900 with an Easton tranny and 8 inch stacks. But you know what else is old school? Hard mounted cabs, no power steering, and optional front brakes. SD, I’m glad to have you here. Anyone that sparks intelligent debate is ok in my book. That being said, it’s a different world on the road. I know you realize that, you’re too smart not to.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Now they're talking about "smart" trailers

I love technology. My house is loaded with smart home technology. Even my chicken house is smart. Trailers have added skirts and tails to get better mpg. Monitors for 4 wheelers to see ahead is an excellent idea. Another great idea is a camera that transmits to the driver, like RVs have.

Man, forget all this work talk. I wanna hear more about the smart chicken house.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

Gonna try to get a quick update in while we’re waiting to get an air line changed. It’s been a busy couple of weeks. Springfield up to somewhere in Ohio. Then to Detroit to grab a load of tomatoes that came in from Canada to haul to Miami. (If someone can explain that I’ll buy you a cup of coffee.) Raced a hurricane because “Give it to the Florida boys. They’re used to that stuff.” Ran across the Glades to get orange juice to take to Phoenix. Run out to LA to get produce for Cheyenne. Finally 43,000 pounds of chicken feet (Yes, you read that right. Chicken feet.) to Portland Oregon where I sit now. The way we’re running, I should have my own truck in no time.

Posted:  7 months ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

So after a day of paperwork, I’ll be off again with my trainer in a few minutes. 30,000 miles to go and I get my own truck. Since I’m technically still in training, I’ll keep updating this along the way so all my fans can phollow the phantom.

Posted:  7 months ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

So they don't have training classes to go over the reading section?

Fun fact: Wilson sent me a link to Trucking Truth’s High Road CDL training program. That’s to that I passed, first time go.

Reading section? If I understand you correctly, then you mean classes for the permit test. No. You are expected to do your own studying on that. Follow the program here and you’ll be fine. I think some of the questions on the test had the exact same wording.

Posted:  7 months ago

New cdl driver with fresh felony conviction

Phantom said

"Brad, whatever you do, please don’t drop the ban hammer. He amuses me."

Who's Brad?

Typing is an alien concept to me.