Profile For Spoonerist

Spoonerist 's Info

Bellingham , WA

Company Driver In Training

3 months, 3 weeks ago

Spoonerist 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 days, 22 hours ago

Starting with swift

Congratulations and welcome!

The High Road training program here really helped me.

Posted:  4 days, 15 hours ago

Good evening all,

I’m about halfway through my forth week. When I started on Tuesday the office said I had 125 hours and that I have around 2 weeks left. This will be a short week. My mentor has some home time scheduled this weekend.

Long days of driving. My backing is getting better. We do mostly drop and hook.

Ran into a classmate in Troutdale, it was fun to connect. I wish we had more time.

I just swapped out with my mentor. I’m exhausted and going to sleep.

Good night,

P.S. welcome Gregory!

P.P.S. When the 4 wheelers go wide around me on the rumble strip, they are singing the song of my people... 😆

Posted:  6 days ago

Question on Testing

I concur. Don’t drink while at school.

A few drinks during your birthday will not show up after 3 days. They don’t really test for alcohol, but they also have a zero tolerance policy and could breathalyze you if they suspected that you have been drinking.

Good luck in school! Please consider keeping a training diary.

Posted:  1 week ago

A Thank You, And A Promise To Our Community

I’m grateful to see this issue be “voiced”. One of my reluctances to sharing was indeed the harshness of some responses.

A big thing for me to learn when I first started forum activity was to practice “I statements”. By putting my phrasing in first person I own them. It helps to remove some of the finger-pointing-mis-understandiness that often devolve/derails helpful conversations.

Thanks again!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Good evening,

This marks the end of my third week. I just logged 10.5 hours and swapped with my mentor.

Without sounding like “I’ve got this” I am feeling more comfortable in the truck. I know that I have a lot to learn during my solo rookie year.

I’m still waiting for the children to give me the universal “blow the horn signal”. I had a kid waving at me and he was pretty happy when I rolled up a bit more. But alas no toot signal... Perhaps if the other children put down their phones (says the guy pecking away at his).

I wish other drivers would turn their High beams off. Yes, I’m on the other side of the highway. Yes, I’m high up. Yes, your lights are still blinding.

I’m excited and a touch nervous to wrap up my mentorship (probably next week). I will have another test and an orientation.

Good night all. Safe travels.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Good morning all,

I’m about halfway through my third week. I’d guess 120 hours.

I’m nervous about moving the truck while off the clock ie yard moving. My ability to keep ‘er slow is limited...

Driving overall is going well. I had a herd of deer run in front of me and I had to hard brake. Smokey tires and no dead deer. QualComm was freaked out though and we got a message.

Overall I am grateful for this time. 200 hours is well worth it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Hello all,

My days are oosing together. I’m getting my macros memorized through repetition.

We are waiting in Sumner for a truck to come out of the shop. Not the one we’ve been driving. We are slated to transfer it to UT and pick up a new one.

The delay this morning feels like a portent of an epic journey...

I’d love to get back by Sunday, but I have a hunch that we will be messing about longer than that.

An interesting twist from driving and joining this career, I’m in much better shape! My previous years of deskjobbery are falling away.

I’m loving the scenery and driving!

Take care,

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Good evening all,

I’m totally exhausted. That said here’s what we did today.

Left Sumner bobtail to Napavine ~60 miles. There was a serious accident on I5 yesterday that closed both directions. We took over a load heading to Costco in Hillsboro, OR.

Traffic was heavy from Vancouver, WA through Hillsboro. After a live unload we took the empty trailer to Woodburn, OR Winco DC. Picked up a heavy dry van for delivery in Federal Way. Traffic was heavy from Olympia to Federal Way.

We delivered the trailer and picked up an empty. Delivering it to Costco DC in Sumner. We picked up a full heavy reefer for Spokane. My mentor needs to start his clock at midnight. I ran out my 14 hour clock right as we parked!

404 miles through heavy traffic...

Good night all,

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Railroad Work

Driving a train, no. Working around train, yes.

My first career I was in the merchant marines. I worked for a large tug boat company hauling train cars from Seattle to Whittier, AK. The hydro train. The deck crew assisted with loading, unloading, and securing the trains. I crawled over and around hundreds of train cars.

When we loaded the strings of cars on the barge two of us would help with securing and uncoupling each string. The engine up in the yard would bunch the string and hold it while myself and another deckhand chocked and secured the last wheel of the string. We used beam clamps, chain, and steamboat ratchets. Once secured the railroad employees would uncouple the cars. The engine would pull the remaining string off the barge and we’d adjust the barge for another string of cars. Repeat until 8 strings were loaded.

Next we would lash the cars to the barge. Using screw jacks, chains with toggles, and ratchets we would create a hard point on each corner of every car. Jacking up the super structure and then ratcheting the frame against the jack.

I got intimately familiar with knee pads and hard hats. My first trip I took a set of Helly Hansen rain gear. One or 2 days into lashing and it became mostly duct tape. I bought heavy duty Grunden gear after that, I still have that set! (20 years later). I’ve spent entirely enough time on my knees in Alaska. It was an interesting career.

As for operating trains, I’ve heard that it is very hard to get into.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Three cheers for The High Road CDL training program & Trucking Truth

Congratulations! Welcome to TT!

I found the training priceless.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

My return to work

I just slowed down and use my engine brake

Never use brake retarders in inclement weather. It can lead to a nasty jackknife.

Very good advice, thank you!

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Good evening all,

We back hauled 51k (net) of split peas from Spokane to Sumner. It was snowing at the pass. That was rather stressful and my first time driving the truck in the snow. The road was clear, thankfully. I just slowed down and use my engine brake.

We didn’t have a return load Saturday. My mentor dropped me at the terminal and picked up a trailer for delivery near his home. I came home last night!

It’s nice to be home and catch up with the peeps. I’m beginning to feel that phenomena of losing track of the day to day things at home. I laughed when I realized that I hadn’t flushed my own toilet in a week and that I missed it... I had no inkling that would pop into my mind.

I’m scheduled to hop back on the truck tomorrow night in Sumner. When I stopped driving Saturday I had 43.5 hours and about 2500 miles! At 50 hours we convert to team and will gain additional variety in our runs.

Driving my POV was quite strange after the truck. I felt like my butt was in the road. Overall, I am really enjoying this career! I’m back to considering reefer when I upgrade. Running reefer really hasn’t been a problem.

In training/school I was told that if I ran reefer I would have to use Utah as my home terminal. It seems that may be the case, but getting home won’t be a problem.

I’m heading to bed. I’ll update when I’m back on the road. Take care and drive safe!

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

My return to work

Swift. I’m with a mentor that has a dedicated heavy haul reefer for Costco.

We unload in Spokane, WA at 0530. Back haul (the last couple of days) recyclables, again heavy. Average of 95k for tcall in Sumner. Pick up a preloaded reefer from Costco DC and head back to Spokane.

Going over Snoqualmie 2x daily has been trying. I’m getting better at it. I’m getting about 600 miles a day and running out my clock.

I was chatting with a classmate earlier and mentioned that I have around 2k miles since Tuesday. He’s got about the same, but started a week ago Wednesday...

I’m starting to feel comfortable sitting up high in the truck. It feels good.

I’m going to sleep now.

Take care,

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

My return to work

Another long day of driving. I wasn’t as nervous had a chance to look around.

The run I’m on isn’t super interesting, but I saw more of it today.

We ran 99k on our first leg. Heavy beastie.

The return we had to slide the tandems, a task I hadn’t seen/done before.

Last night while being super tired I had one of those thoughts: what have I gotten myself into?

A good night of sleep and a good day of driving has yielded a positive answer. I enjoy this quite a lot.

Good night all.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

My return to work

Drove 10.5 hours today. I’m exhausted.

A note on road bogeys (boogers). I wasn’t prepared for this aspect of driving... I see nasal spray in my future.

The week or so off a truck threw a monkey wrench in my backing.

Good night all. Drive safe.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

My return to work

The next phase started today! I met my mentor at Swift’s Sumner terminal.

We pulled an empty reefer to Costco, grabbed a full one. Scaled, then I hit the road to Spokane. My first trip!

Heavy haul dedicated Costco. When I upgrade, I’m planning to go OTR dry van.

The reefer just kicked on... kind of startled me.

The space on the top rack is tight, comfortable though.

Posted:  1 month ago

Hello TT,

I was officially hired 10/8. Some running around, getting my license upgraded, etc.

I’m scheduled to start with a mentor on Monday! It will be regional heavy haul. Hopefully it goes well. I’m still planning on OTR.

Posted:  1 month ago

Complete truck driver's packing list. Did I leave anything out ?

You forgot the sawzall and life raft...

😆

Posted:  1 month ago

I love the bananas!

I made it home last night at 10.

Cheers, G

Posted:  1 month ago

I PASSED!!!

Wrapping up some paperwork then heading home!

3 whirlwind weeks of 0500-1600.

I received my comdata card and am waiting to discover my mentor. Then back to the hotel.

I’ll update more when I know it.