Profile For Spoonerist

Spoonerist 's Info

Bellingham , WA

Rookie Solo Driver

10 months, 1 week ago

Spoonerist 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Spoonerist 's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Another Swift question. Grocery shopping

One can park at most stores that Swift has contracts with: Walmart, Winco, Costco etc.

If you are just buying supplies, park safely out of the way, shop, and depart.

I’m extra careful when parking at a store to make sure no other customers park me in. Ie., jam up a whole row and angle the tractor out.

Good luck,

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Backing does not just “click”

Backing comes and goes for me.

It seems like the harder the back the more I succeed. The simplest ones I mess up.

I agree with the previous post. Take as long as you need and don’t hit anything.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

A quick reply.

I sprained my elbow on Tuesday and will be recovering for a while.

I’m considering switching to the Lowe’s account when I return to work.

It’s frustrating to come off quarantine to have to go out again.

Take care,

Posted:  1 month ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

Good morning all,

Yes, 5 weeks was too long. There was a strange mindset that occurred while quarantined: isolation from everything, including texts and online stuff.

My local gig the other day took a great deal of time. I was on time for the delivery, but waited about 2 hours for a dock assignment.

Docking required blocking 6th street south in Seattle. I’m fairly content messing up traffic and it was light, thank you lock down.

The lumper unloaded the bails into an intermodal can, I’m guessing for shipping overseas. When there was a lull in movement I went into the dock area and found him swearing about the BOL, it said 26 bails and there were actually 27, and that messed up his load on the can.

They had a big push broom, which made the clean out much easier! He repositioned the ramp so I could sweep into it. It’s the little things that make my day!

Dispatch stacked a Costco load on me after that. Another split: Wilsonville and Eugene. I decided to stop for my 10 at Toutle SB rather than push for Wilsonville and arrive while Costco was still open and struggle to park. This tactic is something that wouldn’t have occurred to me 3 months ago. Again, the learning curve!

Google maps is incredibly helpful! I always review it when I’m going to a new place. Eugene Costco was tricky to get into and required some kerb driving... to avoid the people in the turn lane.

The unload was prompt!

I deadheaded to Woodburn for a Winco load heading to Puyallup. Just before arriving at Winco I blocked the suicide lane to check google maps and take a bio break. The little things: pee before backing!

It was a drop and hook. I got some much needed supplies as well. The empty was due for its PM, so I dropped it in the shop queue and sent a Mac38 and parked for my 10.

While reviewing my posts above I missed it appears I missed a story about heavy BS before going on leave. I’ll post about that another time.

The Sumner terminal is being renovated now and has no shower. Wet wipes only go so far...

Today’s “load” is deadheading to Woodburn for a Winco load tomorrow. I’ll leave this afternoon and park at TA in Aurora for my 10, a shower, and laundry. I’m pretty stinky...

Freight has been weird. Early in the outbreak it was super heavy. Stores implemented rationing and that slowed the pace. Now, they’ve been directed to curtail non-essential product. That has definitely impacted freight. I’m grateful that I’m on a dedicated essential account, but we are all slowing.

Stay safe!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

Good morning all,

Strange times we are in.

Upon tcalling my last load (above) I started developing covidesque symptoms and self quarantined. No tests were available.

3 weeks later I harangued my dr enough that they tested me. Negative for covid, but due to quarantine order I had to wait 3 days post symptom before heading back to work.

I came back Monday and had a pleasant split load to Salem and Albany, OR. Both were unloaded early. My back haul was from Hillsboro. After I got loaded, while pretripping I discovered a flat tire. Called it in.

On road came and fixed it. I made it to Toutle River rest area (one of my favorites) for my 10. Tcalled my load in Sumner around 0000 Wednesday.

No loads Wednesday. Have a local run today. Hoping for more work.

Take care,

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Is OTR an addiction?

Often while I’m taking a 34 and walking around, I’ll see trucks going down the road and will look after them wistfully. When I do take real time off and go home, I miss the sleep I get in my bunk.

Thus is true for me too. I sleep way better on the truck!

Home time is feeling less homey.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Eye Candy

I’ve had mixed results posting photos. Let’s try again.

0639972001583762619.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

I'm sorry to hear that Spoon. You don't need to go into personal details but do you feel that trucking has played a role in this?

Good morning all,

Yes, trucking played a roll in this.

I’m still here. Costco and heavy is very busy. We went from low freight to OMG it’s really jammin.

My next load is live in Hillsboro, OR. I’m waiting for sunrise to be safer while navigating the back roads. I’ve looked at Google maps for a decent approach and both options are tight.

I was considering returning to OTR after my move in late April, but I still have a great deal of stuff to take care of near home. Regional heavy is a good option. Perhaps after I renew my medical card I’ll head out for long haul.

My big lesson this week was that when I return from a 34 my ability to hard push is limited. I had 2 RTs Sumner to Hillsboro. First off, there has to be zero traffic for that to be possible. I had rush hour both directions on my first trip. By the time I rolled into the terminal on my return I had 3.5 hours left and was too tired to safely run. I sent a late macro and got chewed out. Hind sight says I should have declined the second load or sent a late macro sooner. 1 service failure and a hard lesson.

Going forward I will be extra vigilant when I’m accepting loads and if there’s even a chance that I can’t do it I will either decline the load or send a late macro upon accepting it. Plus, when I’m returning from my 34 I will aim for a lighter first trip, eg less than 400 miles.

The first light is coming. A few more minutes and I’ll depart.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

Good evening all,

I’m experiencing a trucking lifestyle change.

My LTR is ending and home time is quite unpleasant. If I didn’t have “administrative” duties to take care of, I wouldn’t be here.

OTR is looking good! I want open road therapy.

Take care,

Posted:  3 months ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

Good evening,

Looks like my autocorrect was running rampant above...

I’m back in Sumner. Seems the corona virus is jamming up the freight. There are 90+ OTR drivers stuck here.

I have a Winco load tomorrow afternoon heading to Bellingham, finally a load going to my hometown!

Posted:  3 months ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

Good morning,

I had a pleasant departure from Bend night before last (writing at 0400, morning). My 10 was over around 2300 and I left Bend.

A bit before Mt Hood I got very groggy and chose to sleep for 2 hours. It helped! I made it to Gresham around 0600 and promptly missed my turn. My QualComm was quite slow to reroute me and it got swore at. A bunch.

I had googled the receiver and the website said 24 hours, ok. Why are all the doors locked? As I neared the front door an employee came out of his truck and said they were opening at 0700. I mentioned the webinar he said the night shift gets off at 0500 and the day shift starts at 0700, I left it there. (Not 24 hours, not my problem.) He gave me a door assignment and few empty trailer options, all of them were 2 axles and I needed a 4 for my next load. He said to come back at 7. Cool, it gave me time to park.

I popped into the office and he had a 4 axle ready to go. Sweet, off I went. My next load was in Clackamas. I rolled there without incident. When I pulled in to the shipper it was jammed tight. I checked in and was told they would call with a door assignment. 1.5 hours later, other side of the building. Pull back into the highway and take the next left. Easy enough.

The parking lot was designed and spaced for 1930’s trucks and trailers. About 200’ from dock to kerb. That seems like a lot, but it’s not enough to turn around in. There was another truck in the dock next to mine. I pulled wide left for a partial U-turn set up for a sighted 90. No go. Not enough room ahead of the next truck to maneuver. I pulled around and had to jack knife the trailer to complete my turn and set up for a blind 90.

In the process of making the jack knife, blind 90 I broke the electrical connection to the trailer. I parked and just as I was GOALing the dock dude said: not even close! Yep, fixed and reparked. I sent a breakdown macro. The load took about 10 minutes to load. The guy came out with the paperwork. I explained that I couldn’t leave due to a breakdown (not street legal). He directed me to back off to the side.

I was hanging out waiting to hear from on-road and got anxious so, I called them. I was on hold with them when they called me. I explained the situation and they checked on my options. Eventually, I was directed to the Troutdale terminal for repair. I had less than 3 hours on my clock.

I spoke with the customer about the situation and pending repair. He asked me to park it in an unused dock. Woohoo, another tight, jack knife, blind 90. It went more smoothly. I let dispatch know what was going on and said they would probably want to repower the load, as I was likely going to run out of time.

I bobtailed to the terminal. QualComm sent me on a winding route back. Ok bobtail, I would refuse with a trailer.

The shop worked it in quit and I took a shower. As I was backing out of the shop I had 13 minutes left. I set my PTA for this morning 0730 to take a chill out break and get into daytime driving.

I’m hoping that the next couple of days are less chaotic and more lucrative. I think I made $40 in 28 hours. Ugh. Win some and lose some.

I was having trouble sleeping. Writing has helped!

Drive safe and take care,

Posted:  3 months ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

I’m toast!

What a day. Left Sumner this “morning” 0000 heading to Salem for a 0400 delivery.

That went smoothly. I moved a trailer for them and was unloaded in 20 minutes.

It was a split load. Half to Salem and half to Bend. I headed off to Bend via hwy 22, got about 7 miles before seeing a sign saying it was closed at mp 53, use alternative route.

I stopped and consulted my atlas. I chose to reroute around Portland and head down 26, a familiar route. Dispatch rerouted me. I headed off.

Just south of Wilsonville I hit the mother lode of traffic. All lanes jammed up. It took about and hour to roll 2 miles. Eventually the cone dudes rolled by saying on his loud speaker that I5 NB was closed at Wilsonville. Thankfully, I was by an exit and it was easy to get off.

I parked on the shoulder for a bio break and my QualComm chose that moment to reset... I got on I5 south to Springfield and hwy 126.

On my way I crossed a scale and came back heavy on my drives. I’d forgotten to drop my tag axle... 2000 over and a $150 fine. Yee haw.

A school bus passed me and a kid gave the honk signal! That made my day!

Hwy 126 is gorgeous and there was no snow! I made it to Bend Costco with 13 minutes on my clock. Some “slow” trailer moving and I’m parked for my 10.

Trying a Peruvian restaurant that I’ve been curious about for a while. It’s yummy.

485 miles to drive a 320 mile run... whew!

Sleep inbound.

Posted:  3 months ago

Officially a solo driver.

Congratulations!!!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

You cant makey money saying no

And... here’s the irony.

I just turned down a load.

I have less than 3 hours left on my 70 and it was going to the other side of WA.

I’m heading home for my reset.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Blind side backing. Help!

Swivel your passenger mirror to see your gap. Move it back as you get closer to the hole.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

You cant makey money saying no

The horse is probably dead, but it has room for a little more flogging...

I got 2400 miles this week (for heavy, that’s a ton, 2200 under a load)! I did regional with a touch of local (under 10 miles), moved some empties to Costco DC, and will finish my 70 tomorrow with 2 more hyper sensitive local runs. Dispatch knows they can count on me to help when I have time.

I do this in a heavy haul condo!

Brett, Errol, OS you have all been inspirational and I base my work ethic on your advice! I haven’t been disappointed and I’m making great $$!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Boil it down -- what do you LOVE about trucking?

Everyday is different and the office window has a spectacular view!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

You cant makey money saying no

Trucker spirit animal! Awesome, that makes me so happy.

I’ve turned down loads, but usually only in conjunction with home time. Mid December my DM coached me to only accept loads going West.

At this point they commit me to the loads immediately as well. If there’s an issue I’ll call.

Before my Clarkston run this week the local planner gave me 4 local runs, but I needed miles and had already talked to my DM. I was at the terminal and spoke to both my DM and the planner. I committed to a live local at Costco DC and the Clarkston drop and hook. Win/win!

The load I’m on was planned late. ETA of 1500 in Sumner with a 1700 delivery in Spokane. I accepted it and am now in Spokane. 482 miles yesterday 300 of those were heavy!

I’m going back to sleep.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Ghosting Your Company

About two weeks at Swift. I left the truck at the Target store for Schneider. I offered to drive it to the OC but they came and got it with no notice anyway. The truck for Swift is at the DC right now which will be fine.

2 weeks at Swift... For a live load Costco is cream. If heavy isn’t for you try OTR. Swift is big enough that you should be able to find a niche that feels right.

Drop and hook is great, but there’s a balance.

Don’t ghost.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

You cant makey money saying no

Hello,

I’ve been trying to take a mix of local and regional. This week, I’ve focused more on the regional stuff. That said, if I have time and it won’t effect my longer run, I’ll grab a local trip.

The terminal and planners love it. I’m not setting out for brownie points, but I’m certainly getting choice runs with long miles...

Local = lots of backing practice and fast turnaround. If it didn’t undermine my driver ranking (mileage based) I’d keep doing it.

Driver want $$? Drive.