Comments By Nathan B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/130.jpg avatar
  • Nathan B.
  • Comments:

Had a question and wonder if anywon knows if its true?

If your charge wasn't a felony then you should get an opportunity somewhere. I don't know if the Company-Sponsored Training Programs would take you right now or not, but I think you'd find an opportunity if you went through an Independent Truck Driving School. It's hard to say.

Every company's policies vary. Not only from each other, but throughout the course of the year. A company might get a little less strict when demand for drivers is high and vice versa. So all you can really do is apply like crazy everywhere and see who's willing to give you a shot.

I wouldn't make the commitment to any independent schools though unless you can get two or three pre-hires from major companies. That way you know you'll find employment after graduating with your CDL.

Here's an article on Understanding Pre-Hires for those not familiar with the process.

thank you I really appreciate your help. Great website and I love the high road training program. I will start seeing if I can get some pre hires since going thru a private school might be my only way in for now. I will keep you posted on how Tuesday goes. got an appointment with quality drivers school. Its probably for a local job of some kind but im happy and positive, gotta start somewhere :)

Had a question and wonder if anywon knows if its true?

Had a question and wonder if anywon knows if its true?

Ahh, you didn't mention that the misdemeanor was drug related in the other thread. Yeah, that might change things up a bit. Drugs are definitely the Devils doing! Why don't the kids ever listen to their parents? We tried to warn 'em.

Sorry, that "rant" wasn't directed at you, just a generalization. So many people come here looking for advice on the things they've done wrong in their past. I can't help but wonder if I'm the last person on this planet that has never been arrested for anything, and had never had anything traffic violations, ever! Boy, I must've been a real boring, goody two-shoes throughout my life; although it certainly doesn't feel that way!?

Anyway, it really depends on how long ago the incident took place and the companies policy/acceptance of our past mistakes. Some are a bit more lenient than others. Stay tuned, some more knowledgable members should be chiming in shortly.

good-luck-2.gif

Hope that helps.

LittleJoe

lol it helps for sure. Yep theres not many left with perfect records anymore. congrats to you and that's awesome. I got in trouble 11-17-09, so it was awhile ago. yes indeed wish I would have listened and stayed away from that crap but life is a giant learning lesson everyday, nothing I can do now but keep grinding and pushing forward to my new career. staying positive and upbeat has gotten me this far

Had a question and wonder if anywon knows if its true?

well still grinding away sending out apps and trying to find a company to train me. Got a call back from quality drivers, and the gal told me that pretty much no over the road company is going to take me because of my drug charge. she said there has been a big issue with drug trafficking and its making them more leary. well my charge was a petty offense and had nothing to do with trafficking anything, so if what she said is true that's a big time blow to my otr dreams. I hope its not, but at least all hope isn't gone. worst comes to worse I just have to wait awhile and re apply again. anywon know how true what she said is?

Wanted to say thanks to everyone here at trucking truth

I have a few questions, ive been reading some recents posts and theres something that's making me nervous. Im 26 years old, but this is my dream job and ive never wanted anything as bad as this. I hope my age wont be considered to young?

Absolutely NOT. Minimum age for Interstate is 21, Intrastate is 18. I'd be just slightly more concerned with the misdemeanor, however, it will probably be a non-issue.

good-luck.gif

LittleJoe

sweet good to hear. So far my misdemeanor has been a roadblock, so im just trying to find a company that will give me a chance.

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

Same as the advice from before.....APPLY EVERYWHERE!!!! Seriously. I don't mean one or two at a time. You have your work cut out for you. Seriously it could take anywhere from 5 tries to 75 tries. Do an application for all the companies at the same time. You never know when someone might be willing to take a chance on someone.

Thanks for the advice I will apply everywhere I can. is there a way I can send a bunch of apps out or am going to have to work thru them one by one. I don't see why someone wouldn't take a chance on me. I have no felonies, no dui, only one misdemeanor from 5 years ago. I got a speeding ticket 7 years ago but these company's got back 5 years so that shouldn't be an issue. also I have a solid work history. praying I will get an opportunity somewhere :)

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

Whoops posted that twice sorry. didn't realize that it went to page 2.

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

Prime denied me too after a couple days of applying. They seem to have enough applicants that they can be picky that way. Just about everyone that reads this site are steered into applying to them first.

That same day I applied with cr england and they took me no problem.

That's for sure about everyone going to prime. Im keeping my head up and staying determined. I applied for c.r England and I will find out tomorrow. do you work there now? if so how do you like it?

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

That same day I applied with cr england and they took me no problem.

That's for sure about everyone going to prime. Im keeping strong and keeping my head up. I applied for c.r England and I will find out tomorrow. are you working there now? how do you like it?

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

Nathan, keep plugging away! I am just starting to look into this as a possibility, but in everything I do I remember to pieces of valuable information my mom gave to me....1. Can't never could do nothin' & 2. You can do anything you set your mind to! It has served me well over my lifetime thus far. I look forward to following your progress!

Jolie

thank you that makes me feel better. I have got my mind set completely on getting a career and doing whatever it takes to make it happen. I hope I have good progress to report haha. hopefully find out tomorrow about c.r England and maby swift, I don't even care so much were at this point. I have to pay my dues and get my foot in the door somehow lol

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

I think if you have a good attitude you can make just about any company work for you. Good luck and don't get discouraged just keep on keeping on

Hey Nathan, sorry about the disappointing news. Heavy C hit the nail on the head with his advice. You probably are not aware of my trials in getting hired for my first driving job, but it was not pretty. I got rejected three different times - I'm talking about going to their orientation on three very long bus rides and then being sent home on three very long bus rides. Yeah, I kind of know how you feel. When you get your heart set on making a new start somewhere, and it's all looking good, and then they just say "no thank, we have more qualified applicants" - that bites big time.

You're gonna re-cover, and there are other companies besides Prime. I ended up working for a company that I was seriously scared would really turn out badly because of all the B.S. I had foolishly read on the internet about them. After my first year of working for them, I decided I liked it so much I stayed with them, and they decided they liked me so much they gave me a ridiculously good pay raise.

Just keep plugging away and something will come up. If that drug charge isn't quite old enough you may have to just put it off for a little longer, but hopefully you'll find someone who will give you a shot.

Be up front with prospective training programs and tell them what you said right there - only leave out that part about it being crappy that it is still held against you. That is the reality of a criminal background, but if we go around considering that it is crappy, then it will be crappy. Just focus on that overcoming challenges part. The fact that people will hold it against you is one of those challenges you will have to overcome, but believe me, it can be done.

Them bus rides, I've only done two of them and said no more. I told the next company that wanted to hire me that the only way I'll come is if they fly me. Sure enough they Flew me.

It's a shame that they don't judge your character but only by what they see on paper.

yes indeed I agree 100 percent. all I need is a chance to show who I am and what I can do. I am praying I can get at least that.

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

Hey great to hear from you old school. I had no idea you went thru so much to get hired, I am sorry about all those bus rides geez. I have read alot of your posts on here and I was looking forward to talking to you for advice. I am disappointed but I am going to keep my good attitude and keep applying to every company I can. There has got to be a truck for me out there somewhere. I am determined to get thru this.

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

That's some good advice heavy c, thank you. I am going to start sending out apps to all of the company sponsored schools. I am trying my best to keep a good attitude and keep the faith that somewon will give me a chance. I am a hard worker and committed to learning and overcoming challenges, all I need is a chance to show I can do it. I am not perfect, I made one mistake 5 years ago and I have grown so much since then, its kind of crappy its still being held against me.

Well this wasnt the news i was hoping for tonight

well I applied for prime and was already denied 2 hours later.. wow that was fast :( I am very disappointed and now trying to figure out who to apply for next. ideas anywon? I couldn't call them back and find out the reason I was denied until tomorrow because the office was closed. I am assuming it was because of my possession and paraphernalia ticket from 5 years ago, which is pretty crappy. that was along time ago and its the only trouble ive ever been in. no dui no moving violations nothing.. good work history. if anywon knows a company sponsored training program that is a little more lenient and not picky im all ears. im pretty much broke and I don't think I can afford a private school

Permit in hand, time to start applying

Thank you my friend, I appreciate that. I will go OTR for awhile, that's what I really want to do. I feel like down the road I would like to run regional after I pay my dues and learn the business. probably starting with refer or dry van to get my experience and get accustomed to the lifestyle, figure things out. My ultimate goal is getting into tanker :) I was afraid to post and ask questions for awhile but I finally feel ready lol

Permit in hand, time to start applying

Got my app done for prime, the recruiter said I should find out sometime tomorrow if I am pre approved :) I am praying I will be, because from reading prime drivers posts on this site and research, they are the best. for my current situation there my best fit. but if something un forseen happens, I will keep applying till I get in somewhere. I want this bad and I will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Permit in hand, time to start applying

passed my permit test with flying colors! thanks to the high road training program. I worked on all the sections and went back an did them again, and wow did it pay off. the test was actually easy for me! Im super excited for the next phase of my journey. wouldn't have been possible without this website and all the great folks on here :)thank-you.gifthank-you.gif

Wanted to say thanks to everyone here at trucking truth

Oh ya and no whining here lol. I was raised on working hard and earning what you want, no exuses or complaining, just getting the job done whatever it takes.

Wanted to say thanks to everyone here at trucking truth

Thanks friend I appreciate that :) Good luck to you as well. Its been awesome reading some of the experienced truckers posts on here. Sure hoping with alot of dedication and hard work I will be one of them some day.

Wanted to say thanks to everyone here at trucking truth

I have been lurking for awhile now, studying the high road training program and getting everything ready to roll on my new career. Im super excited to get going and im really looking forward to the challenge. Thank you guys for the positive attitude and honesty. I have great scores in the high road program and ive learned so much, also bought brets book and have read thru it several times already lol. Its awesome! Applying with Prime tomorrow after I take my permit test, so wish me luck lol good-luck.gif . I have one speeding ticket from 6 years ago and one misdemeanor from awhile ago, when I was young and didn't know better. Im really praying this wont stop them from accepting me, I have all my records for the dates and I will be totally honest and open about all of it. I have a few questions, ive been reading some recents posts and theres something that's making me nervous. Im 26 years old, but this is my dream job and ive never wanted anything as bad as this. I am a hard worker and willing to learn and do whatever it takes. I hope my age wont be considered to young? Thanks everyone, sorry about the long post haha.