Profile For Hopper

Hopper's Info

Oklahoma city, OK

Experienced Driver

Hopper On The Web

3 months ago

Hopper's Bio

Mike and I have been driving over 9 years together. We have done dedicated for the past 6 years and love the regularity of it. Mike was a web master for over 14 years, I left the nursing field to drive. Trucking pays better! Now, if you had told me I would leave nursing and drive a truck, I would have said.." sure I will, when pigs fly!", but its nice to be in your 50's and find there is something else your pretty good at. In my avatar photo, that is where I had to park in Denver to load a back haul and the jack-knife parking was necessary to not block the drive in front of me, plus pulling a 57 ft trailer makes me a bit longer. The Volvo is our company assigned truck, it's the quietest and most comfy drive/ride we have ever been in. We ride motorcycles in free time and support benefits mostly. Say hello sometime! TerryLynne (Hopper)

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Pre-Trip Study Question for Upcoming Schneider (CDL Holder) Training

Hey Marc, If you are not in the habit of checking the kingpin pull lever when you are about to get on the road, do so. There are people out there who will tamper with your truck when you park for the night or go inside to get lunch. Check it everytime you return to the truck after leaving it unattended. Takes 3 seconds .

Hopper

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

TN Hwy. 127 GPS Warning (between Pikeville and Crossville, TN)

For sale: Cobra commercial GPS in the box. Used it 1 day, repackaged it when it told me to take a "non truck route". I was in unfamiliar territory but I did not let Mr Cobra convince me to take that road.

my map book has never misguided me.

Hopper

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Just got my CDL Permit here in Arizona, heading for Prime Training Saturday, August 24 in Salt Lake City

Hey Janet! I trained with a guy. He slept in his clothes, I had PJ's (short set) I just changed once I got up in the bunk. I recommend you Ask for a trainer with more than a couple years experience. My trainer had over 30 years of solid driving, he shared many pearls of wisdom that you won't see in a manual or get from greenhorn. I left nursing to drive 9 years ago, financially it was a very smart move for me. Good luck and stay safe!

Hopper

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Handicap truck parking spaces???

Hey P.C! You will see veterans that have disabilities. They get hired frequently. They have to get waivers sometimes as previously mentioned but they won't obtain them unless they are capable of handling the equipment. The only stupid question is the one unasked...confused.gif

Old school, you are one funny guy! Those of us who are from Lufkin aren't so entertaining due to Angelina county being dry for so many years..smile.gif

Hopper

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbedding vs Dryvan for a beginner

Hey Ham, I left the nursing field to drive, it pays better and evidently I'm pretty good at it. And I am a female. A female friend does flatbed in the carolinas, She is happy. Look for a company that pays well and has consistent miles. Sign on with the lessor of the evils.. ha! Flatbed tends to be heavy, You will grow to prefer a weighted trailer, Its safer for me (dry van) to be loaded. As far as tight places, they are everywhere but you will learn to navigate where you go. I was trained to use all the real estate available when turning till I learn the length of my equipment. So, swing wide till you learn how much room you need, and always watch the back of your trailer. its as important as whats out the windshield. Pay attention to where your rear axle is too. Where it sits will effect how the trailer reacts when you turn. If a company sends you to a location to be loaded chances are your not the first truck to be picking up there, if that is so then other trucks are getting in and out. You can do it as well. Watch other trucks while you are sitting and waiting to get a door. You will probably see how others get around and backed in at that facility. Good luck! Hopper

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

So much for trucks yielding

Same thing happened to us, brakes locked up on the trailer in Arizona at a fuel island. Only 3-4 pumps. Made it hard for others to get fuel with limited pumps and me unable to move. You will run into drivers who don't care or aren't paying attention. You can't change the world but you can make a difference in your corner of it. Chalk it up to distraction or a bad attitude. Be safe out there! Hopper

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

How old were you when you started driving truck?

I turned 53 while in training on the road. I am 62 now. My team driver was with a different trainer at the same time. He was 56 while in school. We still team drive together.

Posted:  3 months ago

Weekends off

PJ, so your retired law dawg, into nascar, AND you ride. We have all that in common! Except I wasn't in LE before driving, but my ex husband was. Small world!

Posted:  3 months ago

Weekends off

Thanks for reply, those are some pretty smiles up in your cab!

Posted:  3 months ago

I am headed to Prime next week in Salt Lake City, so very excited!

Janet, congrats on the 1 year with Prime milestone! Question for ya.. does Prime have dedicated routes?

Posted:  3 months ago

HOW DO Y’ALL KEEP FROM GETTING LONELY AND BORED

Elizabeth, Why in the world aren't you and the BF team driving? It's a great fit for us. Many companies will let you do it and be a company driver, and when he gets his own truck, the money just gets better. You will only see him a couple hrs a day, because he is sleeping while you drive and vice versa. We made over $80K each last year teaming and we are company drivers. You don't have to be lonely out there! I find when he sleeps all day while I drive, that music helps,, singing,, and listening to sirius radio. Lots to choose from to keep your mind busy. Talk radio, news, comedy, etc. I recommend you invest in a sirius radio till you find something better. I do long stretches on lonely quiet interstates and I talk on the phone with my headset too. But I don't talk when I am in the city driving. Too much distraction around traffic to be chatting on the phone. Hope this helps! Terry

Posted:  3 months ago

CONSIDERING BECOMING A LADY TRUCKER - A FEW QUESTIONS.....

Hey TN! I went to the only state certified school in Oklahoma, teachers were also pt or former drivers, not just classroom instructors. They only allowed 20 people per class and they had 10 trucks, so that meant 2 people per truck. That means you get much more behind the wheel training. Most schools will have 1 truck and 5 or 6 of you standing around watching 1 person back up and pull forward for a couple days. Its not enough behind the wheel time. Find a state certified school that has a bigger fleet for you to attend.. you will thank me later for this info..Ha! I know CPT codes and ICD-9's are challenging but once you are in a dr office you will see alot of the same codes. I know this from being a nurse before being a driver. If you choose to go back to school for coding, find a different school. The one you were in was too impatient with you. Trucking pays better if you don't mind being out 2-3 wks at a time. If i can help with Anything, just holler! Terry (Hopper)

Posted:  3 months ago

Weekends off

Greetings from Oklahoma! Hubby and I team drive but wanted to see if anyone knew of opportunities that are similar to what we currently do. We have been doing dedicated, home Fri/ Sat, Driving 9 yrs +, both have squeaky clean records. We want sat/sun off. We usually run 5K or more per week. We are grossing over 80K per yr (each) but we want sat/sun off and don't mind a reasonable cut in pay to get it. We have been on our current job over 6 yrs. We would consider driving separate trucks if that was the sacrifice we had to make. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Hopper (my biker name)