Profile For DMF

DMF's Info

Springfield, IL

Preparing For School

1 year ago

DMF's Bio

I come from a family farm background, oldest of seven. From there I have been blessed in that my work experience has been more of the independent nature. First as an independent insurance agent, and finally as a Professional photographer. Photography I still love, just seems to be too many iPhones in the world right now to keep it going after an 18yr run.

I take the decision process of entering the trucking industry seriously. The actual maneuvering of the truck is a concern, but given all the implements I have had to back and move in my lifetime, I am fairly certain I will get the hang of it in short order. Once I get a feel for the weight, width/height and length, I am hoping instinct will kick in for me.

Currently it is just my wife and I at home, my son, Michael, is grown and for the most part on his own. The relationship I have with Michelle is strong and she understands my feelings and thoughts regarding this new adventure. So, I feel I have the support at home to carry this out.

Again, for all those that ask questions and especially for those that reply, Thank you.

DMF's Photo Gallery

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Performance

Gentlemen, thank you. It appears I will need to pull from my youth; 8-10hrs in a field was common. Wild Bill, I love your “keep the left door closed” I will carry that thought with me. I am older, so holding my water is a bit different now. I’ll figure it out.

I did read the link from Old School. Points well taken. For myself, I hope I find a “family” feel. From there, a limit does not exist. ... Old School, would love to share a conversation some day. ... We still own the farm, but have not personally worked it for years. Livestock has all been replaced with grain. Given time, I wish to change that. I will lose that fight, but wish to keep livestock an option.

Finding my limits ... I will grant you I have found a “comfort” zone in my life. Just not ready to retire just yet. Typically enjoy work too much, but that is why I have Michelle. She will pull me to some social event, I do love that woman.

Posted:  9 months ago

Performance

Performance:

As not to high-jack a previous thread, the idea that in order to achieve “top-tier” driver status or to become a “go-to” driver, performance speaks.

Performance based is thrown out a great deal here, and I suppose I should know, so my apologies for not. In an effort to hone in on the aspects of what performance is for a newbie trucker, I would love advice. From the outside looking in, if I were a DM this is what I would think to expect from a driver. Please correct me and add as needed.

1. Safely arrive on time. 2. Proper pre-trip inspection: avoid/anticipate problems. 3. Manage time within parameters of load requirements. 4. Remain healthy: Eat/sleep/exercise properly. 5. Communication: Read instructions throughly, twice if necessary. Ask only after all personal research is completed. Remain professional. 6. Maintain paper-work especially if Hazmat. 7. Plan route with attention to weather and arrival times in areas of high congestion (rush hour in large metro areas) Again, time management/anticipation.

I am still at home preparing to start, but the window in now within 21 days, there are so many areas of concern. My top three are:

1. Management of time. 2. Mountain driving ... have never done this, they say “appropriate speed” but coming from an area that is relatively flat, the idea that weather will change as I climb is a new concept! I may be a snail :) I have hauled enough livestock in my youth to know weight and movement is a serious issue, but I am afraid Illinois is not an adequate teacher for a true mountain. 3. Changing lanes, or driving within city limits. I do not have a “feel” for how long this rig is, nor an idea of the space it will require.

I am old enough to know that anticipation of the unknown can be an enemy but also a great motivator. Once I am “in it” I do trust myself, just not there yet.

As always, thank you all for your time and advise.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Umm life story, and a few questions about potential employers

Jay,

I am not going to do the math for you and your family, should not need to. Math if done honestly, will never lie. Insurance coverage on the hand, they will lie ... it is their nature, and way too legal to get into here.

Chances are I am older than you, which means nothing given the icon next to this post will indicate I am next to nothing in trucking (have to start sometime). The thing is all through my life I trusted and still trust my instinct. I believe you already know the answer inside, just looking for verification. Could be wrong ... but given the length of your thought process ... trust your instinct and gut, be honest with your wife, prosper.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

My Railroad crossing violation - DISMISSED!

Rob, You have no idea how much I appreciate the detailed and thorough thoughts towards your investigation. Personally, when something gets in my crawl ... well lets just say, if your wife ever needs to vent, I will give you my wife’s phone number and they can commiserate.

Information is spot on, and very good to know. Only hope I will remember when needed. ... On the above, I am not kidding, I am going to show this to Michelle only to prove I am not the only one!

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Download Link for Trucker Path

Use your App Store.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

My Railroad crossing violation - DISMISSED!

Our license is our livelihood. You must protect it all costs.

Rob,

CONGRATULATIONS! Very happy this load has been lifted and you can enjoy the Holidays without it hanging out there. Excellent advise all the way through.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Step One: Complete*

Well, thanks to this site and the excellent study material provided, I am happy to say that I passed the written portion of my CDL along with all endorsements with the exception of passenger and Hazmat. I had the procedure for Hazmat backwards; I need to provide my fingerprints and have background check done prior to exam. So, I have appointment tomorrow to start that process.

Now, onto the application aspect.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

No longer taking insulin!

Marc, Congratulations the feeling of accomplishment has to be wonderful. And thank you for sharing as it has brought about a good many things to consider and incorporate into my life. I really do not have a leg to stand on as my status here indicates, and it was only back in July that I was told I have type 2 Diabetes. Difficult to outrun family history and age.

I have been blessed throughout my life in that I have always been within 10lbs of my ideal weight regardless of what I ate. Now; however, that has changed. Where I once joked that my wife feels the grocery store is really just another library, I now find myself reading the bloody labels! Sugar is everywhere and in quantities within some products simply too high for me now.

Brett, thank you. Diet and exercise are a major concern, but given my outside looking in status I can only envision what might be. Regarding exercise, and once I am solo, I was hoping that my jump rope and a 25lb kettle bell along with jogging would cover most. Never considered Yoga, but that is an excellent idea, nor have I ever really hiked anywhere (flat lands of central Illinois) Diet, from another post, I am hoping that grocery stores will be within walking distance at some point during a stop or gain permission to drop the trailer and find one. I have no delusion that cooking will be the same as home, I will simply need to learn and adapt.

Again, thank you both and to all here. I take my written exams tomorrow so taking the balance of today to review and take practice exams. Cautiously optimistic, I tend to test well, and the information found here is simply priceless.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Post A Picture Of Your Significant Other Here’s Mine

Thanksgiving weekend at the farm. Trust me, Michelle’s smile is generated deep within.

0681502001575981538.jpg

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Well, after 37 pages ... this is by far a diverse group. So, I may as well throw my 2 cents of time in.

Oldest of 7, family farm, livestock mostly but grain a huge part. Graduated, BS Business Administration. Independent Insurance Agent 13 yrs, then found my love: photography. 18 year run, loved them all. Something about photographing a 2 yr old, per honesty I’d say. ... I have no idea the number of children I have photographed throughout the years, I have been blessed. But the tides of change are upon me. No regrets.

Trucking, for what I can see from the outside, is one of the last places of some semblance of independence. I’ve read and realize the time work restrictions. But in the end, it’s me. I still get to decide to take a load or not, decide if weather is permissible. And to problem solve on the fly.

I suppose I need uncertainty to feel comfortable.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Death in the family

Ryan, Prayers is all I have to offer. 19 is simply too young! I am thankful you will be there, I have had the discomfort of burying my parents. I’m one of 7, with relatives countless. They all helped, and I am sure you will within her family.

My wife is a single child, and when her maternal grandmother ( the one who raised her ) passed. The enormity enormous.

Regardless, the situation; a loss is heart felt. It’s been 7 yrs since Dad passed, I still miss him. ... But He is never forgotten, may this young man of 19 never be forgotten as well.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Survey: Your biggest worries and most important questions

Brett, once again I can not thank you enough for this forum and the CDL study material. I have been through it all once, and now just review prior to taking my exam on the 10th this month. It is my intention to test and obtain all endorsements short of public transportation. ( I did read where that endorsement came in handy for you, but for grins I spent a morning riding our Mass Transit, it is not for me. )

The biggest concern I have currently is managing HOS. What I thought would be a rather straight forward equation, in fact is not, or at least it is not in my mind just yet. The examples and samples provided here are excellent and present the material in a manner I can learn from; however, for the life of me they do not present these elements: Specified time of arrival or departure, weather, traffic, unexpected roadside inspection or the countless mishaps that occur in life. All causing delay or worse, being late.

Managing my time correctly is my biggest concern. From the outside looking in, there are a number of moving parts/players in getting a load from point A to B, and only a few that I can control personally. Doing my part correctly is what I am after. Not sure there is an answer to this, with the exception of time and experience. But it is a concern, to fit my task within the framework of someone else’s time table.

I do own an Atlas, and it is filled with a wealth of information. That being said, a Garmin is on its way to me. I am old enough that travel with a map was once the only option, but GPS, weather/traffic reports, and truck stops miles ahead are all types information I wish to know.

Again, thank you. I certainly would not have made it this far comfortably without this site.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Introduction with a Life on the Road question.

Good morning all, and once again thank you for the ideas, experiences and suggestions. I can see that after my licensing and training there will continue to be numerous nuances I will need to learn as well. I hope I am paired with a trainer that does not mind questions. ... It makes total sense to simply walk across a street for personal items vs unhooking. Sometimes I wonder about my thinking!

Big Scott, had to laugh, the road atlas is the only item I have actually purchased. I suppose I am “old school” with a touch of apprehension relying solely on an electronic device. Besides there is a wealth of information included.

Grumpy, I will look into the app. I have plenty of time and numerous other items on the list prior to my need for that type of assistance. The only other one I have ear-marked to look into is the Trucker-Trip Planning app. I am in no position to comment on either with the exception Trucker-Trip is a one time purchase. For my wife & I, those “little” monthly/annual fees have a tendency to add up without us realizing it, and when we do, ... well it’s an interesting conversation.

I hope everyone has a safe and profitable day.

Danny

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Introduction with a Life on the Road question.

Raptor & Tim, Good points on both, I did a quick look at a kingpin lock via Amazon: $250! So, Tim you are VERY correct, would prefer they provide, but would like one regardless. And yes, I spend most of my time here in the CDL training area. It has been a minute since I have had to study, but the format with questions following truly make it easier. And this is information I wish to know, which makes it less a chore and more an adventure.

Oddly it is the pre-trip inspection that has me more concerned than a multiple choice exam. I have watched the video there numerous times and printed the worksheets, 7 pages! I hate to say it, but I typically only concern myself with fuel, oil, washer fluid and tire pressure on my SUV. Water pumps, alternators, air lines, break lines, heavens I did not know there was such a thing as a “slack adjuster” until now. The in cab items, I run through “as if” first thing when I leave in the morning. Kinda feel silly, but I need to hear myself say the list of items out loud, besides my wife has her own car, so I do not have to listen to her teasing :)

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Introduction with a Life on the Road question.

Turtle & Rick,

Thank you both for the information. I will look for and pick up a kingpin lock. Anything that will assist in avoiding a problem is time saved. Yes, I am hoping the company will allow me to take the rig home. As I understand it “time off” begins when I arrive at a terminal or park the tractor. One company I am seriously looking at is 5hrs away, and would prefer not to use 10hrs for personal travel. I do have a farm, no longer personally live there, but at which I am hoping to gain permission to park the tractor, trailer if necessary, within the Morton shed there.

I will add these to my questions for perspective employers. Thanks again guys.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Introduction with a Life on the Road question.

First and foremost, I want to thank Brett for creating and maintaining this site. The information I have found here is invaluable. And, I would also like to thank all the veterans out there that take their time to freely share their knowledge and experiences. I hope to somehow "pay it forward" in the future as I have benefited from your giving.

I have had the idea of OTR for nearly 18 months now, and once I fulfill my obligations with a couple of remaining schools it is my intention to begin my training after the first of the year. I realize it will be the winter months, but that is partly by design, as I would prefer to experience snow and ice with an experienced driver vs just myself.

Okay, on to the question I have not been able to find here. Is it taboo, too risky, or simply not allowed to drop a trailer at say a truck stop and use the tractor only to shop for food, personal items or simply eat at a nice restaurant ? The 13' trailer I use here has a coupling device that prevents anyone from hooking onto a 2" ball and did not know if such a device exists for a 5th wheel? I will be more than happy to ask my particular company, but if it is so left-field thinking I would rather be embarrassed here.

I have more questions as it relates to the 11/14 & 70/8day limitations, but wish to do more personal research. Seems rather straight forward until pickup/delivery deadlines & delays are thrown into the equation. Thereby making time management a true challenge for my mind.

Again, thank you all for the help given.

Danny