Comments By Cowboy

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0569811001577042444-90981.jpg avatar
  • Cowboy
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
  • Comments:

Ride along with G-town diary

Delco Dave, and G-Town,

Loved this diary. I remember going out on the road with my dad (O/O for almost ten years). He's been gone since 2016 and I miss him so much, he was my best friend. My brother was an O/O also for a few years until he became disabled. I learned so much about the "Real" daily life of a long-haul trucker from my many trips with both of them.

By the way, both my dad and my brother would tell anyone to NOT be an Owner/Operator and definitely NOT be a Lease/Operator. The simple fact is, according to them, company drivers make just as much money but without the added stress and headaches and with more driver support and resources. (That was just a freebie LOL)

You are very wise to pair up with a good, experienced driver to get some real-world experience, before taking the plunge. Not everyone can do that, for a variety of reasons, but for those who can, I would highly recommend it. I'm flattered that you'll be following my training diary and I will definitely be following along with you as well.

SHOUT OUT to G-Town.....It shows a lot of character and dedication to your industry that you (and others like you, I'm sure) are willing to give of your time and energy, and share your home-on-wheels with a virtual stranger to help them get a leg-up on this career path. You, sir, are the reason I've always told my wife and kids that if you brake down in the middle of nowhere and can't find a cop, flag down a trucker over anybody else. They are professionals, accountable to the law more so than any other drivers on the road, and knowledgeable enough to know what to do, besides the fact many of them have families back at home themselves. I salute you, G-Town, and hope to see you out there on the road one of these days.

Happy New Year to you Both

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Tue, 31 Dec 2019

Well, this is my last week of work at my "Old Job". I've had the flu for the past two days, so stuck at home, sick as a dog and never far away from the toilet. I'm due in Marshfield Wi on 13 Jan, so glad to get this crap out of the way before then. I'm waiting on a call from my recruiter's associate, who will ensure that all the t's are crossed and I's are dotted, then will receive my lodging information. It's about a 9-10 hour drive from my home in Missouri so I will be leaving early on Sunday, Jan 12th. Can't wait, and neither can my wife. We're ready to get this next chapter of our lives under way and to face the new challenges that await.

In the meantime, doing a lot of studying on pre-trip and watching instructional videos on that and backing. I'll have to pass a Missouri CDL skills test so I'll have to parallel park an 18 wheeler. Ouch! Anyway, trying to stay patient and get prepared. Getting ducks in a row here at home as well.

Happy New Year to Everyone and Stay Safe!

My Roehl training adventure

This diary has been such a "page-turner" Wild-Bill. Thank you so much for sharing everything about your experience. I have hung on every word. After reading, and re-reading many parts, I am even more confident and determined that I have made the right decision to be a long-haul truck driver and to do it through Roehl's GYCDL program. I won't be able to match yours or Wine Tasters' diaries, but I will carry on your tradition by sharing my experience through a training diary. I'm due to start in Marshfield on 13 Jan. I can't wait and your diary has both made me more excited and more serious about my pre-study.

One of the best things about these diaries is that my wife and I read them together, so she gets a "feel" for what to expect of my time there, rather than just taking my word for it. She too has a strengthened respect and admiration for our countries truck drivers (last of the cowboys), and is excited for this new chapter in our lives as well.

Can't wait to read about your Phase 2 training. God bless and Happy New Year!

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Thanks for the info on fuel gloves, G-Town. Great Advice!

Merry Christmas to All!

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

G-Town,

Thanks for the info. That's what I needed to hear. I'll be doing dry-van so it sounds perfect. Between you, Wild-Bill, and the instructors at Roehl, Marshfield, Wi (so I hear), I'm sold. Just ordered a large one from Amazon for about $38. Much appreciated and it will be perfect for after training too.

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Cowboy, thanks for your service!

I agree that Roehl is a great choice. The training is about as good as it gets. I know you’ve been reading along with my diary, so, you’re prepared for the highs and lows. I know by your comments that you’re a fighter and will push through to get it done.

If you’re looking for gear for the trip. I’d recommend a high visibility winter coat like this. The instructors all have one and about half the students in my class including myself ended up buying one (early Christmas present in my case). Size it large enough to go over your layers. You have to wear a something high-vis in the yard. They’ll provide you a vest if you need but the coat is much nicer.

0780120001576983817.jpg

Wild-Bill, Are these coats pretty warm? It's hard to tell from the picture how thick and heavy they might be. Thanks, Cowboy

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

A few more photos:

0837095001577044448.jpg0550068001577044482.jpg0070453001577044513.jpg0330710001577044555.jpg

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

A few more photos....a little bored watching the ballgame.

0800389001577043726.jpg0916444001577043792.jpg0324330001577043885.jpg0903825001577044139.jpg0525138001577044260.jpg

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Just posting some photos here so they'll be added to my gallery.

0711293001577043097.jpg0443712001577043130.jpg0668641001577043162.jpg0203362001577043247.jpg0537268001577043325.jpg

Uploading Photos to TT

I want to upload photos to my TT Profile. I have an Avatar photo, which I want to keep. The only option I'm given on the "Update Profile" page is to upload a new Avatar Photo. It replaces the one I want to keep, but it doesn't add photos to my My Photos like I see on most everybody else's profiles. I've tried emailing photo attachments to photos@photos.truckingtruth.com (doesn't work). How do you guys get photos on your profile page?

My Roehl training adventure

Awesome!!!! Knew you could do it, Driver.

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Wild-Bill,

Thanks for your thanks.

I have indeed followed your diary, hanging on every word. Thank you for sharing the whole, sometimes brutal, experience. I'm emotionally and even physically exhausted from your last week's posts. Even my wife noticed how much better my mood got after I read that you passed that test after all. I've never taken a CDL test, but I've tested for a lot of other things before and it's funny how much your training kicks in and takes over when it's for real and not a "practice" test. I've had those feelings before, so that's how I knew you'd pull it out when the chips were down. You, my friend, are a truck driver, a professional, and I look forward to buying you a cup of coffee somewhere out on the road in the future.

What division and fleet will you be in?

Take care, enjoy your home time and keep in touch.

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Sat, 21 Dec, 2019

Brandon, thanks for the info and encouragement. I can't wait.

Passed my CLP tests last Friday, but didn't have the $42 to pay for the Permit until yesterday. Uploaded the permit, spoke with Roehl recruiter, Ryan, and now have my signed Roehl Employment Offer letter in hand. I will start the GYCDL training 13 Jan 2020. I will be assigned to the Dry Van Division in the National Fleet, 36.5 CPM (Just what I wanted). Ryan has been an amazing recruiter, walking me through each step of my pre-hire process. He explained everything in detail and answered all of my questions, to the best of his knowledge, and he was honest about telling me what things he didn't know or was unsure of. I had lots of questions and follow-up questions, but he was really patient and forthcoming with answers. My Employment Offer letter outlined nearly everything we had already discussed, and there were no surprises, except a couple of good ones. I hope to get to meet him and thank him in person while I'm in Marshfield.

For Christmas, my wife is helping me pick out and buy my supplies for school (heavy winter coat, clothing layers, duffel bag and such). She is super supportive. She doesn't like my job, or income, any more than I do and we both look forward to seeing the country together in the future when I'm authorized to have her riding with me. We know lots of couples who have recently become "Empty Nesters" and they're depressed and wondering what to do without the kids around and whether their marriage will last, and we're like "Good Grief". Tam and I are embracing and looking forward to this phase in our life. We've raised our kids well, they are serving in the military or working good jobs and raising kids of their own and doing fine. We are both 50 and feeling like 30 again. We're in good health and believe in living and experiencing life, not just reading about it or watching it on TV.

As a veteran, I've been around the world and seen just enough of this great country to know there's a whole world to explore out there and my wife and I look forward to seeing and experiencing new sights and things as we go. We're old enough to be patient with the training phases and the learning curve the next year will bring (and beyond that) and experienced enough to know how to adapt, improvise and overcome those unexpected challenges that always seem to crop-up. We're old pros at making plans in pencil and then erasing and rewriting them as we go. The key to our success is simply that we always face it together and come out stronger on the other side.

Anyway, sorry so long and rambling. Merry Christmas to everyone, especially those who may be stuck out on the road this holiday. God bless and stay safe.

My Roehl training adventure

You got this Wild-Bill. Good luck!

My Roehl training adventure

Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Keep fighting for it and don't give up, bud. Your mistakes are "small" and easily correctable. Just take a deep breath and remind yourself that you have had the best training, you are smart, diligent and committed. You KNOW what you're doing, now just go out and do it! You got this, man.

My Roehl training adventure

Wild-Bill, that sounds like a wild couple of days. Keep your chin up, you seem to be doing great and taking the punches like a champ. You'll get it, just don't give up. We're all rooting for you. Just think what a better professional driver you're gonna be after all this...these are lessons you will never forget. I'll be there Jan 13th, hope to see you out on the road or in the terminal someday.

Jim Palmer Trucking - Missoula MT

Thanks for the info Dave S. I'm going with Roehl (my second choice), because I couldn't verify more than the past two years of employment. Three years ago I was trying to make a go of it as a hay-farmer, but I didn't file any taxes as a business so I couldn't verify self-employment for that year. I will definitely keep Wilson Logistics on my radar for the future, though. For now, I will get my CDL with Roehl and will absolutely give them the 15 months or whatever the contract is before going anywhere else. But I really appreciate your reply.

I appreciate yours too, Old School. My daddy and brother were both truckers and they were always about safety and common sense first as "Captains of their ship."

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Starting on my path to a career in trucking!

Awesome job! Congrats! I'll be in Marshfield for class starting 13 Jan.

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Will do, Wild-Bill. Thanks for the info on Marshfield. I really look forward to it, except for the weather LOL. Sounds like you're about to test and, no doubt, pass with flying colors. I'm rooting for you, man and hope to see you out there on the road somewhere in the not-so-distant future.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Any recommendations on Roehl?

I'm tentatively scheduled to start Roehl's GYCDL program in Marshfield on Jan 13th. My recruiter, Ryan, was very up front about the training pay. I will be paid $500/week from day one. I will get my first check for the first week at the end of the third week of training (much like most jobs where you get paid this week for the work you did over the two weeks prior). The only difference is you're only getting paid for one week at a time, so yes, they hold back the first week and then you're paid each week for the week before. That was my understanding. He also made it clear that the $500/week was dependent upon me being at the school during all scheduled times (ten hours M-F and half day Sat). If you miss any then it is prorated for the hours you missed. Sounds fair to me. He also told me what they pay for and don't pay for. I will need money to get to and from the Phase 1 training, for my evening and weekend meals, and for doing laundry. They've already covered all the costs of my DOT Physical and a urine and hair-follicle drug test (that couldn't have been cheap).

Ryan has answered every question I've asked with clarity and honesty, whether I liked the answer or not. I look forward to starting my trucking career with Roehl. They'll help me get my CDL and my rookie driving experience and I will work my tail off and drive my miles in return for that and a fair paycheck. They have guaranteed me .36 CPM, but not the number of miles. There's no deceptions I can find in the recruiting process. I'll have to prove myself worthy and reliable for the miles I want to drive to make the paycheck I want.

In the whole scheme of things I, the driver, am the ONE variable in the whole equation, not Roehl (or any other company from what I've learned through my research). They're investing in me---it's up to me to show whether or not that investment was sound and profitable or a mistake.