Profile For Dean R.

Dean R.'s Info

Macomb, IL

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 3 months ago

Dean R.'s Bio

Former Active Duty Marine. I hold a B.S., M.S., and MBA from Illinois. Spent 26 years in IT before retiring early. First two years of retirement were spent remodeling my home. When my son decided to apply to some private colleges I decided to go back to work.

I graduated from the 280-hour CDL course at John Wood Community College in Quincy, IL.

Currently I work for Schneider as a Dedicated Driver for the Walmart Account in Sterling, IL.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Happy construction season

Monday was the official start of construction season in Indiana and Illinois, wishing everyone a happy and safe construction season!

Look on the brightside only 7 months until winter!!

No lie! I was running I-294, 94, 55, and 355 for 13.75 hours Monday. Delays, delays, delays. Accidents around every corner, or so it seemed.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Watchung NJ Walmart

This is for you Annie...

0700586001617677050.jpg

Nice!! We are waiting for our new Freightliners to be delivered. I'm hoping for a dark grey or black model.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Watchung NJ Walmart

It’s a town in Northern Jersey.

I’ve literally had to move stuff to clear a path. Sometimes I can touch stacked freight through my open window, just a couple of feet away...

Fun.

I've been able to reach out and touch stacks of pallets and cardboard bundles.

Never had the pleasure of an indoor dock. That would be fun for sure!

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Schneider Orientation 😅

Learning to sleep in a parked truck is novel and is something best enjoyed after you get your truck keys.

Opting for a hotel was the right decision.

Truth. I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in the TE's truck. It was full of his stuff. I enjoyed "moving in" and making the space my own.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Schneider Orientation 😅

Good luck! My time with the TE went quickly. I’m Walmart Dedicated so I didn’t sleep in the TE’s tractor, I was put in a hotel and told to use my sleeping bag, not the hotel sheets.

Do you know why they told you that??

Laura

Perhaps they knew it was better not to keep bed bugs company? The hotel choices might be from the lowest bidder.

I don't use a sleeping bag in the truck. I have sheets and a blanket.

Dean

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Schneider Orientation 😅

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

After sleeping in Walmart parking lots the last few nights I finally made it back to the DC. It felt good to have a shower instead of a baby wipe bath in a restroom. I’ve used 39 hours of my 70 in 3 days. But life is good for this Refrigerated Consumable Commodity Relocation Pro.

0847302001616213478.jpg

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

I’m back in the saddle again, after a 21-day Covid exposure break.

Lost the truck I had before 😢. Got another beater that I’ll get $40 to clean.

0331059001615995799.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

First autonomous vehicle program student to graduate this semester

Well, forgot to add the photo to go with my previous comment.

0937568001615844654.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

First autonomous vehicle program student to graduate this semester

Thought this was funny. Could become true in the future.

Posted:  1 month ago

Tips for proper seat adjustment

I'm not sure what company you work for, but at larger Schneider OC's there is a physical/occupational therapist that has training in seat adjustments. They will go with you to your truck and coach you on getting your seat adjusted.

Posted:  1 month ago

Schneider Orientation 😅

You got this. I actually had fun during my stay. The classroom instructors were always willing to help. The driving instructor was firm and fair. They'll let you know if you go astray. confused.gif

The hardest thing for noobs, that I saw (IMHO), was not paying attention to detail when taking tests.

Good luck!

Posted:  1 month ago

First Solo Adventures of a Schneider Dedicated Walmart Driver

Did you ever get sick or test positive, Dean?

Hi PackRat,

I had symptoms, specifically a 90% or more loss of taste/smell and headaches. I tested negative on the nasal swab test. The Illinois Dept. of Public Health gave me a 10-day quarantine. Schneider extended that to 20 days per policy.

My wife is symptomatic now and took a test Saturday. If she tests positive I'll be quarantined another 20 days. If I do have to quarantine again I'm going to a family-owned hunting cabin.

My son recovered after showing symptoms for 6 days. He was ill but not enough to warrant medical intervention.

Posted:  1 month ago

First Solo Adventures of a Schneider Dedicated Walmart Driver

Geez Dean... hope this all works out for you.

Best wishes.

Thanks G-Town! I hope to get cleared Monday and get back to it Tuesday. If I get extended to 30 days off I'll have to retrain for a couple of days.

Boss said they are getting 75 '21 Cascadias this month, and I'd like to get one.

Posted:  1 month ago

Started a Youtube channel!

Cool. I'll check that out.

I wish you well with Schneider. I'm two months in on Walmart Dedicated and loving it.

Posted:  1 month ago

Photos, oddball things

This happened on my first solo delivery. I wasn't able toilet the door. It was bowed out a little. One of the employees helped me lift it.

Once the door was raised a pallet tipped out. The employee and I held it up while someone went to get the team lead. The team lead said there wasn't anything we can do about it and that we shouldn't risk our safety holding it up. So we let go and jumped back. There was no load strap.

Scrambled eggs anyone?

0547277001615437644.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

DOT physical, how long til results?

You should know before you leave their office unless they have to confer with your doctor about any potentially disqualifying medical condition that you may have. For Schneider last January I received a 90-day card because my blood pressure was elevated the day I was examined. I went to see my NP and all is well.

For my CDL school they did a DOT urine drug test. Schneider does a hair follicle test.

Posted:  1 month ago

Anybody Get the Covid?

My son got it from a high school classmate. My son became symptomatic the afternoon I left for the Walmart DC. I've been home on quarantine since February 26th. Schneider gave me a 20-day leave. I've since tested negative so I hope to return March 15th.

I got a "rapid test" from CVS which came back negative. But because I had symptoms the nurse practitioner suggested I go get a PCR test which did come back positive.

I got the nasal swab. The nurse practitioner said "Yuck, what is that?," when the swab came out. The swab was black, red, and green. Looked moldy. I said it must be that old truck I'm driving. Nurse said "you're probably right." rofl-3.gif rofl-1.gif

Posted:  1 month ago

Anybody Get the Covid?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Game: What are your goals?

To continue working my second career while my son attends college. Maybe beyond that but we'll see.

One day we will sell our house, find a condo somewhere warm, and buy an RV.

I will continue being a husband, a father to a son, and an Uncle/Great Uncle to dozens.

One day I hope to be a Grandpa and wear a shirt that says "I Only Take Orders from my Granddaughter/Grandson.