Profile For Nick S.

Nick S.'s Info

3 months, 1 week ago

Nick S.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 months ago

Is there a top 5 or top 10 list of the best trucking companies “to start” with?

Thank you again PackRat. This is some very helpful information, and it will be a tremendous help when I try to find a good and solid company to apply for a job and hopefully work at.

Yet again, that is why I rather seek current information in forums like this, so I can hopefully get the latest and greatest current information that is going on in the trucking world, from truckers who are open and honest about what is going on out there, vs. reading old books and dated online articles about the trucking industry.

Thanks a MILLION! : - )

Posted:  3 months ago

As a Truck Driver, do you have any control over the type of truck you have to drive and the cargo you haul?

Thank you PackRat, this is great information to know. I appreciate it. : - )

Posted:  3 months ago

How much do new Truck Drivers with a Class A license make in 2020?

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so very, very much for your help, comments, and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. What you have shared thus far, has been a learning opportunity for me.

Most of all, I just wanted to get a realistic view of the "real world" vs. those various ads that seem too good to be true. Yet I know that if I asked in this forum, I could get some great and honest feedback. Yet I did want to know a few of the basics, before considering getting my formal training, yet I do know that I will have to successfully work at least 1 to 2 full years, before better jobs and better money will come my way.

Thanks again so very, very much for your help. It is so greatly appreciated. : - )

Posted:  3 months ago

Is there a top 5 or top 10 list of the best trucking companies “to start” with?

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for the recommendations of the companies that a newbie like me should start looking for training and work. For sure, I have my work cut out for me to look though these various companies, but I greatly appreciate the recommendations. I value your opinions much more vs. just reading various articles and then trying to guess which one I should pick.

Errol V, I don’t have a CDL, I’m just doing some basic research to get a better idea of trying to pursue a truck driving career. Yet I did want to get some information and insight about a few aspects of a truck driving career after getting a Class A license.

Old School, I send you a special thanks, for taking the time to read through my post and being so kind and patient to provide such thorough and detailed answers. I so greatly appreciate your help and guidance. Based on some of your comments in other postings in this forum, “Thank you for all that you share and the great help that you provide.”

One last question, since I know that about 2 or 4 trucking companies up and went out of business last year and seemed to have left some of their drivers stranded, is there any way to research a company to see if they might be going belly up?

Everyone, thank you very, very much for your help. : - )

Posted:  3 months ago

Hello Everyone,

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and wisdom on my newbie questions. The information that you have shared has been most helpful. I think this forum is really great, it is like being in a room full of close friends that have AWESOME answers! I think after I get a few years of experience under my belt, I will look into those “owner, operator” gigs. Yet I’m willing to start from the ground up and learn the craft, and keep my eyes open for the “no touch freight” opportunities. LOL! Laura, I don’t have a CDL, I’m just doing some basic research to get a better idea of trying to pursue a truck driving career. Yet I did want to get some information and insight about a few aspects of a truck driving career after getting a Class A license.

Everyone, thanks again so very much for your help. : - )

Posted:  3 months ago

When going to truck driver school, should I learn to drive a 10 speed truck?

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your help and advice. Based on the information that you have shared, my learning how to drive a manual shift truck is the way to go. For sure, I don’t want to be limited to driving only automatic trucks, as I “now know” that I am subject to miss out on jobs when only manual trucks are available.

Rob T. , overall, I have not decided on a paid or private CDL training program as of yet. I still have a lot of reading and research to do.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it very much. : - )

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Is there a top 5 or top 10 list of the best trucking companies “to start” with?

Hello. I’m Nick. I’m new to this group.

I was wondering, is there a top 5 or top 10 list of the best trucking companies “to start” with, when one is a brand new Truck Driver with a Class A license, with no experience?

I live in Los Angeles, and I just wanted to see if there were any recommendations for some great companies that a newbie should consider to start with, with a newly issued Class A license and no experience?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Hello. I’m Nick. I’m new to this group.

If you are a new Truck Driver or experienced Truck Driver, I was wondering do you have any control over the type of truck you have to drive and the cargo you haul?

In my case, I know that I do not want to ever haul dangerous cargo and nor do I ever want to have to haul fuel or gravel/dirt. If I can, I want to stick to driving an 18 wheeler truck only.

Lastly, I have seen some ads offering “no touch” freight”. Is this common or is this something that happens from time-to-time and or with certain companies?

I could be wrong, but the ideal of driving a 18 wheeler tuck from point “A” to point “B” sounds fun and interesting, but I have no interest in loading or unloading the freight. Yet I did want to find out what is the norm in this industry . . . i.e. is common to “load” and “unload” your own freight?

Thank you in advance for your answers and comments.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

When going to truck driver school, should I learn to drive a 10 speed truck?

Hello. I’m Nick. I’m new to this group.

As I consider a Truck Driver career, I was thinking about going to a truck driver school to get one-on-one training.

Yet I did want to find out from you much more experienced drivers, what are the best types of trucks to have experience in driving?

I read about one school that teaches (as part of the curriculum), how to drive a 10 speed truck. They said in many cases there is not much of a need to know how to drive a 10 speed truck, but if a person knows how to drive a 10 speed truck, then a person should be able to drive any truck out there without any problems . . . thus making it probably easier to get jobs, due to having the skills and knowledge to drive all types of trucks. So if learning how to drive a 10 speed truck might be of big value (sooner or later), I want to learn in the beginning. Yet it would be great to learn all of the basic trucks I should learn how to drive as a new Truck Driver.

What are your thoughts?

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

How much do new Truck Drivers with a Class A license make in 2020?

Hello. I’m Nick. I’m new to this group.

What do "you" consider realistic pay for a new Truck Driver just out of school? I have seen some schools stating that they can train you to get a Class A license in 3 - 6 weeks, and offer a starting salary of 50K - 60K a year? Is this realistic/true?

Some trucking companies I see where they will pay about $20 - $25 an hour, and I see some trucking companies that only pay by the mile. What do "you" consider the best pay at this time (in 2020) . . . 50K - 60K a year or $20-$25 per hour or pay by the mile?

You thoughts?