Profile For Sly48

Sly48's Info

Houston, TX

Experienced Driver

7 years, 1 month ago

Sly48's Bio

Revisiting the forum after almost 2 years, Started out with Prime back in Oct. 2012. Stayed with them "BUT" didn't complete a full year due to what appeared to be a great job (not trucking) that ended after 9 months when the company laid off several of us due to financial troubles.

So here I am again considering trucking for the 2nd round. I did Reefer with Prime, had 100% safety record, 100% on time delivery and consistently got my fuel bonus and was always in the top 5 in MPG.

I'm wanting to get back into it but don't want van really. Looking into Tanker or Intermodal that will get me home often. Preferably a M-F gig.

Thanks, Sly

Most Current High Road Training Program...

Yeah, there are a few small differences between state manuals but they're few and far between. Ultimately it's not going to have an affect on your scores for your CDL permit test or your endorsement tests. We chose the Illinois CDL manual because Illinois has the most stringent standards for getting your CDL. You can read through your state manual if you like but I can assure you it's completely uneccessary. People who use nothing but our High Road Training Program consistently get amazing scores on their exams, sometimes getting perfect scores.

What Brett said is dead on!!! For example, my state booklet and training material was horrible and I chose to ONLY study here for all my tests and passed with flying colors. In some cases 100% in others in the 90's. Most recently I added the Hazmat to my endorsements and I got more info from this site than the state offered and I think only missed one question. I went to the lady in the office and she saw my score, I told I was worried it would be tough and she said more than 70% of the people that take it fail the hazmat one or two times. I just smiled and told her I had an ace in the hole!! dancing-banana.gif

Officially One Year Of Safe Driving Down

I am only putting this on here to show my appreciation for Trucking Truth. There is no doubt in my mind that this site and its contributors made me a safer truck driver before I even put my butt in a seat.

10713996_745299518879998_593425144784986

Thanks again,

Rolling Thunder, aka, Jay D. Massey Sr.

That's awesome!!! Great to hear it!!! The 1st year is the toughest!!!

I'm not a Real Truck Driver.......

Encouraging!

More proof the industry needs safe and reliable drivers, and are willing to pay!

Not having a job is about the worst feeling there is. Having a skill that's in demand and finding work is about the best feeling there is.

In my opinion, of course.

Congratulations!

Thanks!! :)

I'm not a Real Truck Driver.......

Sounds great Sly!

I was in South Louisiana the other day and kept looking in all those Service Transport tanker trucks hoping I might see you. Now I know why I didn't spot you anywhere.

Ha!! Thanks!!! That's were I would be now if this opportunity had not popped up and it just seems to fit better. But the true test won't be till I'm out there.

Hazmat & tanker nailed

Congrats!!! While the Tanker is pretty easy, the hazmat seems like a lot to retain. I stressed on the Hazmat exam at my local DMV office. But once I got there it was a lot easier than expected.....ALL thanks to the training HERE!! The halts are a good thing too, it MAKES you remember!! :)

I agree the halts are good. Just wasnt good when i wanted to just brush up. Wish i would have figured to reset. Lol. The first time i read the hazmat in the manual i was like WTF!!! Lol. But using highroad, the test was a walk in the park. On the dmv test I skiped 3 questions and missed 3. Tanker i actually got 100% on.

I had 3 login names so I could do different things at different times in different sections!!!.....Call me a cheater...haha!!!

Averitt Express

I heard about their facial hair policy and thought it was a myth! So it is true??? Wow

Yes, it was true....but I guess they were having trouble getting drivers with it being so strict and they have changed it.

Averitt Express

I was just researching companies while waiting to get unloaded and saw a posting from Averitt's Dedicated account which caught my attention. I went on their website and noticed they don't want you to have "any" moving violations within the past 5 years! My last one was 3 years ago. Do they really go by that? I've never seen a company go back five years especially paying what they are.

If they are in need of drivers, I would think that one moving violation within 5 years would not be a deal breaker. Typically it's 3 years, but most companies will allow a couple as long as they are not serious stuff like reckless driving, DUI, etc...

I'd call or email to check and see if the one you have is a deal breaker.

I looked at them once, but didn't like their tattoo and facial hair policy. They have lifted the facial hair or shall I say altered their policy. you can know have a well trimmed mustache and goatee I think.

I'm not a Real Truck Driver.......

As long as you ate happy with it that is what matters

Exactly!!! Thanks!!! Every person has different wants and needs and this (for now) fits them!! :)

I'm not a Real Truck Driver.......

Ha!! Had to get your attention!!

Several of you know my story, but for the ones that don't I'm going to share a shortened version and where trucking as taken me on my next journey.

2 years ago I went to a local community college and took their Professional Driving course. Passed and went to Prime, did my training, went out on my own solo and after 8 months found a job here in the oil and gas field (Mon-Fri 6am-3pm). That job ended due to what they called "Corp. downsizing".

Now for the past 6 weeks I've been looking at pulling tankers. I had two pre-hire letters from 2 local companies that would get me home weekends, etc and was just about to join one. But wait, I see a position for a local driving job and the schedule is Mon-Fri day shift, weekends off. I apply and they called me, I interviewed and got the job.

I start Mon. the 3rd. Here's where the title of this post goes......I'm not a real truck driver!! It's a local/regional gig within an assigned territory driving a Class B 26' Straight Truck. Basically I go to retail pharmacy establishments such as CVS, Walgreen's, Sam's, Walmarts, any place that has a retail pharmacy inside. I pick up pharmaceutical recyclables. Things like old out dated meds, whether it be pills or liquids, etc. It could even be out dated items in the stores that need to be recycled per any and all EPA, DOT and DEA regulations.

On occasion my route might call for me to be out 2-3 nights during the week at which they give me a company credit card for hotels and they pay for my meals while I'm away from my home location. I keep filling the truck until Fridays then on Friday afternoon take the truck to a local drop off facility, they unload it and the waste goes to wherever they send it via a Class A Big Truck. I park my truck then go home.

What also appealed to me is it's a salaried job and it pays very well ( who would have thunk it).

So there's the current state of my employment.

Hazmat & tanker nailed

DOT Medical Card and Sleep Apnea

Sly, your most recent, or maybe I should say the last card you received, is your current medical card. When changing jobs, it is your responsibility to self-certify your new card with your state. You don't want to be caught carrying two or three different medical cards around with you.

Thanks!!! I'll do some digging and see what I need to do!!

DOT Medical Card and Sleep Apnea

Hello Drivers, I have to share my most recent experience to possibly help anyone and also gain some knowledge myself.

I know Sleep Apnea has been discussed a million times on here and other boards, etc. but here's my story.

I went and renewed my DOT Medical Card at the end of July. All clear, no sleep study required and got my 2 year card. I get hired with my new company and BAM, the Dr. says, " You are borderline for a sleep study". My BP was 122/82, my neck size is under 17 inches and my throat is clear and good, but my BMI is high (36). The current Dr. wanted to order the sleep study and I told him I wasn't sure but I don't think I will have Medical Insurance for 90 days and I can't afford it without help from Insurance. He then proceeds to only issue me a DOT Med Card for 90 days and said once I get the study and it's negative he will give me a 2 year card. If I don't pass and need a CPAP I will need to be compliant for X amount of days and then he will issue me another card for 1 year.

1st, I think he's in bed with a sleep study company because he wants me to use the company he ask, for that reason alone I doubt I will (my new company said I could use who ever I want). If I need it, I will find my own. 2nd, If he really thinks I'm at risk why would be give me a 3 month card? So it's ok to drive for 3 months with him thinking I have Sleep Apnea, but will let me get insurance 1st then recommend I go to his preferred place for the "at home study".

If I need it, that's fine. If I have it and need a machine that's fine too as I know it will improve my health and make me a safer driver, etc...etc.

But here's the kicker I need help with. If I have a new 2 year card that's registered with the DMV in the state I live in already and now I get this one for 90 days that's NOT registered with the state. Which one is legally binding?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Night driving vs. Day driving

For me, the pro's to night driving is 1) Less Traffic 2) Less Weight Stations open 3) You get to see some awesome sun rises. The Con was my body wanting to sleep between 2-5am.

Day driving, if I was able and I could trip plan accordingly, I always wanted to be on the road by 4am, get a few hours of driving in before the sun came up and other drivers were asleep and I could then park that day by 3:30-4pm and know I could usually find a good parking spot for the night. Get fed, showered and chill in my bunk with some TV.

Pre Hire Question

I can only speak for Prime.....but what I found out was there wasn't really an interview where you sit down with someone and had a face to face interview. My whole orientation was in interview. By that I mean, the whole time they are looking at you, observing how you handle yourself, are you on time to class (on time meaning early). Remember, on time is sometimes late and early is on time. They watched that you were attentive (not sleeping in class), courteous, following instructions, etc...etc.

The Latest Turn by Turn GPS Devices

Is this what I'm looking for in the hard copy?

2014 Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (DMCRA) - Laminated (Rand Mcnally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas Deluxe Edition... by Rand McNally (Jun 15, 2013)

That's it

Company-sponsored Schools In The Northeast

ARE THERE COMPANY SPONSORED SCHOOLS IN THE NORTHEAST?

How far NE? Prime has training out of Pittston, PA.

The Latest Turn by Turn GPS Devices

If I happen to get into a rig that doesn't have turn by turn navigation, what are the popular Brand / models to get me in the game for Commercial, Truck Specific, Turn by Turn Navigation.

Too many options to guess on this one.

For me, Rand McNally hands down.....you can pick up a new Rand McNally TND 720 in the $250-$270 range or it's newest replacement the Rand McNally TND 730 in the $360-$370 range.

But DO NOT depend on any GPS solely, it's just a tool. Learn your Road Atlas!!

The Manual vs Automatic Debate

Fuel efficiency! They average about 3mpg better then manuals do. And though they may be more costly to repair they are becoming increasingly more reliable and the amount of money saved in fuel alone would more than out weigh the cost. Plus now that you mentioned that they are being offered at no additional cost over the manuals then companies have no added costs up front. We all know guys that want to hammer down and get through the gears quickly. This kills the fuel efficiency. With autos there's no way you can do that so they begin to save even more with just those drivers.

It's all about money my friend.

I figured as much!! Personally, I like the idea of the new auto's for reasons you mentioned. They tested manual shifting vs auto and they guy could not beat the auto. I watched this video :

Volvo I-Shift Automatic Transmission

This is an interesting video that explains the I-Shift and shows a driver try to out-shift the automatic in manual mode.

The Manual vs Automatic Debate

I'm seeing more and more companies going to automatics these days. I even noticed Volvo is now offering automatics as "standard or a no cost option".

I know this is a huge debate from many and many drivers don't want to see automatics take over the industry, etc...etc.

My question is why are several companies doing this? It seems as though maintenance and repairs would cost more? While I like being more in control of my shifting, I can see many advantages to them in terms of fuel cost and less driver fatigue, etc.

Specialized Transporr

While in Atlantic city this weekend, I saw a trucking company specializing in loads for the entertainment industry. The name of the company was Stage Call and they are based out of Arizona. The tractors were gorgeous brand spanking new Freightliner. Anyone out there have experience with this kind of trucking? It looks kinda fun.

I often wondered how cool that would be to drive one of a bands tour trucks. The big bands always have pristine equipment. but then I looked at it from a Driver only perspective and I really don't think it would be much different, maybe worse. You're traveling city to city, most likely (due to the times of the actual concert) during the night AFTER the road crew gets you all loaded back up, probably 2-3 AM maybe. Then drive to the next city. You have to get your sleep when they are setting up and playing so I would imagine you'd have to hear/feel them loading and unloading and then the concerts that are outdoor venues would be load.

But I too would like to hear first hand from someone that does this type of gig.

I also wonder what it would be like to drive the actual tour buses for them. I would imagine you would be a glorified baby sitter, maid, driver and mechanic,...etc.