Profile For Driver 100

Driver 100's Info

2 years, 6 months ago

Driver 100's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Backing! The perfect setup?

When they teach backing in school they make it sound like you're flying a space shuttle. My OTR trainer was selfish and was only focused on racking up miles.

It would take me forever to back the trailer when I went solo.

I rode with a guy for the first week at my next company. His way of backing made it very, very easy.

I would line up like you would for a 90 but flared out, so like a 20 or 25 angle. truck trailer aligned with each other, end of trailer 1.5 parking spots away from where you are backing into.

Then turn all the way right

back up until trailer starts to turn onto the hole

IF ITS GOING IN TOO SHALLOW REDO YOUR SET UP WITH REAR OF TRAILER FURTHER FORWARD THAN YOUR PREVIOUS SET UP and do it closer if it enters too deep.

You will then turn all the way left to get back in front of the trailer. as you move back keep turning left right left right etc. this is done to keep the truck under (straight with) the trailer

KEEP adjusting to keep as aligned with trailer as possible.

Focus on the driver side. Curb side mirror is distorted so it looks like that side is at an angle even when straight

if its a normal sized spot and you are lined up on the left the right side will take care of it's self

GO SLOW

RELAX

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

Thank you! I made it!

I talked to an older trucker way back when I was kicking around the idea of becoming a driver. When I asked him about lease options he called them "rent a wreck" that summed it up for me. However my current company has a lease program that is particularly brutal. I went over the numbers with some newer guys who were going to lease. They are going company driver now.

Wish you well, good sir~!!

Hopefully you won't be persuaded to 'fleece' (aka: Lease) .. however.

Please keep us posted; super glad you found another opportunity!!

~ Anne ~

good-luck.gif good-luck-2.gif good-luck.gif

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

Multiple phone calls yielded 3 job offers:

Western Express Flatbed - .32 cpm OTR - 9 month contract, $2,500 fee for leaving early - 6 weeks with a trainer

TransAm - .50 cpm Regional - $7,500 sign on bonus ($1,250 monthly for 6 months) - 3 days orientation, then truck is assigned and assigned first load.

Navajo - .32 cpm OTR - .38 cpm if you meet the monthly metrics to qualify for a bonus.

The phone calls moved along quickly. After putting in a mini application with truckers report or find cdl jobs, (can't remember which one I used) I spent an entire day answering phone calls from recruiters.

Before their sales pitch I would say "I have a recent DOT accident"

Their response was usually wait 1 year and reaply or wait 3 years and reaply. All the recruiters were very kind and informative.

I am now a TransAm driver but will not drive like Burt Reynolds.

Okay, thanks for the extra information.

All you can do is apply quickly and try to get a driving job as soon as possible. Well, there is one more thing you can do. Try to be EXTRA CAREFUL!

We aren't going to judge you, but by now you know how serious this job is. You have got to keep it between the ditches and be a safe driver. If you can't do that you will not be given any more chances. good-luck-2.gif good-luck.gif good-luck-2.gif

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

After reading your posts on here, I don't you need to be driving. You're a hazard to navigation and safety in my honest opinion.

Tempted to omit this on applications ( spelled LIE)? Yeah, that's a criminal offense all by itself.

Deal with it when it comes up later? Like in court after your next accident? By the prosecuting attorney, or at a deposition when the lawyers did a really quick background check into your driving history?

This is why I come here. To get the answers that might be uncomfortable. I'll put it all out there over the phone when I talk to prospective companies.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

Okay, thanks for the extra information.

Thank you.

Looks like I will leave it off for now.

"it's better to ask forgiveness than permission." comes into play here.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

Were you given a choice of either resign or be fired by PTL?

Correct.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

Or come clean and own it. That would be the much less complicated way, but if Western Express passes on me I might be out of options.

How likely will the omission result in termination at a later date with a new company? Calling around it sounded like it's possible to slide through.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

I would have been let go. They said they won't disclose why i left. I've made a few calls today to see how soon the accident report will be available, and what happens if it is not disclosed. It will probably take 2 to 3 weeks to hit my driving record.

Tempted to leave it off applications and deal with it when it comes up later. Some places said once you get through orientation you usually are in the clear. Risky, may be my only way to get back into a truck.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Last Chance or Time to Move On?

Have termination on DAC report, now resigned from 2nd chance company after putting truck in a ditch. Black ice incident, single truck accident.

3rd chance company or time to move on?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Second Chance Driver - Two Job Offers

Wow, looks like it's unanimous. PTL it is.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Second Chance Driver - Two Job Offers

I appreciate the good advice in regards to my recent termination.

Today I received two job offers:

PTL .38 cpm

New company out of Chicago .50 cpm

Not sure how risky it is to go with a newer company. If I took the job in Chicago, not sure if PTL would give me another opportunity if for some reason the Chicago job was not as advertised.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Terminated - unsafe performance - Difficulty Finding New Employer

When you said you wanted to quit was it because you thought you was getting fired?

Absolutely.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Terminated - unsafe performance - Difficulty Finding New Employer

are we talking a higher rate of speed because you didnt see the stop sign? Due to a hard brake triggering the incident I'm going to guess it's the latter.

Good luck, please let us know how this turns out.

This is correct. It was dark and I didn't see it until the last minute.

So just straight up saying that to recruiters is my best route for employment or should I disclose less or more information?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Terminated - unsafe performance - Difficulty Finding New Employer

A hard breaking incident set the camera off in my truck, showing me not stopping all the way at a stop sign. No accident occurred, no citation issued. I own it, not a good look. It happened on a Friday right before I had to catch a flight, I thought about resigning the next day.

It turns out that I should have. Tuesday returning to work my team leader brought me in room and closed the door. I knew what he was going to say, He referred me to his boss when I stated that I wanted to resign. The boss said no to the resignation, it would be termination but I was eligible for rehire.

What makes it worse is I only have 7 months of experience.

So far I've gotten a NO from Werner, USA truck and US Express. All of them said I had to do 6 months without incident with another company before I am eligible.

A 3rd party recruiter advised me to check Craigs List for smaller companies that have more flexibility, and as a last resort go with PTL, or Western Express being my last, last choice.

So far all the smaller companies want at least a year experience.

Other than the termination, I have zero accidents, zero citations, zero violations, zero felonies, zero misdemeanors and Veteran status with honorable discharge.

Let me know what you guys think.