Profile For Justin G.

Justin G.'s Info

San Diego, CA

Preparing For School

Justin G. On The Web

2 years, 1 month ago

Justin G.'s Bio

At the time of writing this I am 28 years old and have recently separated from the US Navy after serving for 8 years (2012-2020). I am currently attending college in Southern California. After the semester ends I fully intend on becoming a trucker. At the moment I am heavily leaning toward either Jim Palmer or Prime, Inc. The things I’ve read about the on this website have allowed me to narrow down the companies the that are right for me and my family’s preferences. I am extremely excited to get this career rolling and cannot wait until I can get behind the wheel! Hope to see y’all out there!

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Wilson Logistics - Justin G

I obtained my permit last Tuesday which allowed me to finally get the ball rolling after waiting for DMVs in California to open back up. Aced all of the tests and endorsements thanks to the fantastic training program on this website and also a CDL prep phone app.

As soon as I was done I called my recruiter, Holly, and she let me know what type of documents needed. So I did all of that and sat around waiting for a date for my training to start.

Today I finally got the call and was told I’ll be starting training on July 6th. Kind of a bummer, I was hoping it would be sooner. However, because of COVID, training is kind of backed up.

I’m very excited and I’ll be updating this thread regularly once I start training.

Posted:  2 years ago

Driving Manual vs Automatic

I have the same concern but for a slightly different reason. I know that many of the megas use automatics now but if I wanted to get a local gig after my OTR stint, would not having that on my CDL hurt my chances when applying for local jobs? Are local jobs also utilizing mostly automatics at this point?

Posted:  2 years ago

Wilson Logistics CDL Training-Springfield, MO-May 2020

Awesome! After a ton of research, Wilson Logistics is my 1st choice as well and Holly is my recruiter too! Anyways, I'm excited to read about your experiences. I'll be taking the permit test pretty soon (DMVs have begun opening up in California) and will hopefully head out to training not too long after that. Good luck!

Posted:  2 years ago

Prime Refrigerated - Springfield, Missouri - Spring 2020

Great posts! Keep 'em coming!

Could someone explain why a lumper fee exists? Why would they have to pay the company that needs the delivered product?

Posted:  2 years ago

Wilson Logistics, Darren's Diary

Please keep up with this. Wilson Logistics is the company I’m leaning toward and is really love to hear about your experiences with them.

Posted:  2 years ago

How can I obtain my CDL permit?

Oh, for the physical, I just made an appointment with Concentra urgent care. The recruiter I spoke to told me about it and I was in and out within 45 minutes the same day I made the appointment.

However, your mileage may very, being in NYC and all.

Hi,

I live in NYC & in the same predicament. I was in the process of getting my permit when this happened. The school wanted me in the February class but I needed to study more to take my permit test so I was aiming for sometime in March. Silly me here we are. But yes positive thinking it does give more time to study and considering how extensive the material is this is not a bad thing, it’s something we’ll always need to know not just know to pass the exams. however not knowing when the DMV and DOT for the physical will reopen is getting stressful. I wish you best luck.

good-luck.gif

I live in San Diego and as far as I can tell, there are no DMVs open in the entire state. There is also no information about when they will open back up and you can't make any appointments online. I've talked to a couple companies that I am interested in and they both have told me that I need to already have my permit before attending training. I don't have any solutions to this problem besides simply waiting until this whole thing is over, which I would prefer not to do. I'm motivated and want hit the ground running as soon as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted:  2 years ago

How can I obtain my CDL permit?

In Oregon you call the DMV phone number and hear a recording that lets you know the offices are closed. But, gives you an option of selecting to talk to a person about getting a CDL. Getting a CDL in Oregon is considered an essential business decision. Once you let the person that eventually answers the call (I waited close to 40 minutes on hold) know you are working toward a CDL then they set up an appointment for you at the closest office to you. I had to make that call twice to get my CDL and it worked great both times, except for the wait time...

Oh, I had no idea. I was just going off of what the California DMV website said. I will definitely give them a call. Hopefully I get a similar result. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted:  2 years ago

How can I obtain my CDL permit?

Today, I heard that Georgia is now giving permit tests, but allowing teens to obtain a driver's license with no road test?? Not sure how true it is but it's nuts, if true.

Apparently as of this week, Kentucky is allowing cdl permit tests and skills testing for cdl license to resume.

Until your states DMV or BMV.. whatever they call it, opens up, you're going to have to wait. So sorry. Just use the time to study.

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured but I thought I’d ask the efforts. I‘ll just use this time to study as you have suggested.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

How can I obtain my CDL permit?

My niece works as a floater between different DMVs in southern Calif. She has no clue when she can go back to work, she hopes soon. Other than that, I can't help you. Sorry.

Laura

Thanks for the reply. On the bright side, I have more time to study haha..

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

How can I obtain my CDL permit?

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime Refrigerated - Springfield, Missouri - Spring 2020

Thanks for the updates, Mitchell. As someone yet to break into the industry, these are very helpful. Keep ‘em coming!

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime Flatbed; Springfield, Missouri; Spring 2020

Had no idea that veterans were only required to sign on for 9 months. That’s something I’ll have to consider.

Did the simulator feel realistic? Does it have force feedback of any kind?

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime Flatbed; Springfield, Missouri; Spring 2020

Thanks for the heads up. I’m in SoCal, so it’s probably gonna be a minute before I can get the CLP.

Rob, I’m really looking forward to reading about your journey. It will be cool to follow along as you go through it. Prime and Jim Palmer are my top two choices and I hope that by reading this thread that the decision will become easier to make.

I’ve been trying to absorb as much information as I can. Been lurking this website for a while, finally made an account the other day. Many thanks to this wonderful website for having such a plethora or information.

Quick question, I’m looking to start my trucking journey as soon as I finish this semester in college. Should I start applying to places now, or should I wait until it gets closer to the end? There’s about a month and a half left, if that helps.

Best of luck to you! Hope the experience is what you’re looking for. I suppose we will find out soon!

Justin,

I wouldn't start applying yet. With Prime, you application is only good for 30 days. I had to renew my application because of my delay.

The other thing, you will notice from the other posts, is that people can't get their CLP. You will need that before show up for orientation at Prime. So you should check the status of that in your state.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime Flatbed; Springfield, Missouri; Spring 2020

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Roehl GYCDL Gary, Indiana

Congrats and thank you for posting this.

What would you say was the hardest part of the test after it is all said and done?

So yes, I did finish my training in Gary and passed my CDL test. It was difficult because the my time there but I really wanted this. Just wanted to check in and let everyone know. I come back with a more detailed reply later.