Comments By Joseph L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0318326001619575510-97411.jpg avatar
  • Joseph L.
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

High Road CDL Training Program

I suggest reading the hazmat section of your going tanker.. My state has several question answered in that section instead of tanker. But could be different in your state.

Other then that I credit. High road getting my cdl

From all that I've read on here, the High Road CDL Training Program seems to be a great resource for studying for the written CDL. Just wanted to make sure...is the material in it still up to date for the CDL test?

I'm anxious to get started in it, so I thought I would check and make sure it will have all the material I need to study in order to take my test in April.

Thanks.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Representative. (did not buy) Debt Collection mainly medical and some utilities

Prime Time Driving

We are trying to get back to Springfield. Repairs and some other things.. So of course we got stuck in Chicago over night since receiver was snowed in.

Had to wait for them to plow the entrance area to let us turn around.

39 thousand to go, give or take. Stuck at another hurry and wait. Appointment is 530 we where told they will do us as soon we get there.

Receiving/shipping thought that was funny when I mentioned it

Training days are tough. Just remember they come to an end. You have an appointment with destiny at this point. You are getting nearer and nearer to being all alone in that truck. I remember that day still. I was scared, but confident (if that makes sense). Hang in there.

Still following....any updates? 39K nsm! LoL. rofl-3.gif

~ Anne ~

Receiving/shipping thought that was funny when I mentioned it

Prime Time Driving

Hurry up in wait definitely sucks. So does sleeping on moving truck. Still randomly waking up

Prime Time Driving

My son seemed to accept what I told him. home time should be end of Feb first week of march.

This week has been rough.. Starting with a massive wait for our first load. A trailer tire going flat. Getting stuck on I80 because of the to vehicle pile up in Iowa. Now stuck waiting on another shipper.. Was expecting to start driving hours ago.

Off to Texas then Vegas apparently

Good for the most part.. I pushed it to far last night though was having a few to many lane depatures. I should have stopped at a loves about 60 miles back but I had wanted to get us as close to Memphis as I could.

Turns out to have been more of a waste. As we sat for 4 hours on site waiting to unload.

from Memphis to shipper in Russellville Kentucky. Then off to good year Arizona with load of coils. I'm waiting out the rest of my 34 before I start the next leg of the trip. The hold up this morning kind of screwed up our planned reset though.

Only bad part so far my son has been saying all week that Daddy is coming home on Friday.. Had a video chat with him today trying to straighten that our.

Hope all is still going well, Joseph.

That sounded like a pretty decent run for ya! How'd it go ?

~ Anne ~

Did you get 'home' for a bit? JSYK...kids that young, it's easier to 'dupe' them... regarding 'which' Friday. My husband was OTR when my son was born in 2004; but he DID make it home for the birth. T/G !! I was at the other end of the stick; for MANY years!

I sure hope things are all going well for you, Joseph. We didn't HAVE Facetime, Snapchat, Zoom, nada .. when I was home with our 5 year old daughter and 1 year old son. That lasted a good few years, but daddy/hubby finally got a run where he could take his 34's at the homefront..and that helped tons.. (also, 10's at the truck plaza about 10 minutes away!) Those days are precious memories. You'll get there!

Hope to hear some good news, soon!

~ Anne ~

good-luck.gif good-luck-2.gif good-luck.gif

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Where’s everyone at what’s you 20 how’s the weather??

Pilot outside Roland Oklahoma. Nice 50 degrees feels like a heatwave after up north.

Prime Time Driving

Hope all is still going well, Joseph.

That sounded like a pretty decent run for ya! How'd it go ?

~ Anne ~

Prime Time Driving

Had some light snow in Nebraska.. Next pick up was in des mones is then off to Tennessee..

Considering I was up at 530 and didn't get picked up until late. I was ok with a short one. Next trip is out to Nebraska

Pittsburgh to OH10? Man, that ain't even a bunt! You won't need a 30 minute break with that one. Hopefully your days off went well, and very hopeful you are with an excellent trainer.

good-luck.gif

Wow, THAT sounds fun!!! How's the weather doing for ya ?!

~ Anne ~

good-luck.gif

Prime Time Driving

So after 5 days home I got a call. My new TNT driver Wayne. Got picked up at home, Pittsburgh causing lots of fun for a loaded flatbed and we are off for Ohio.

A short run for me that definitely helped get back into the swing of things.

Prime Time Driving

No promises lol. Thanks everyone.

Congratulations on the trifecta!

dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif

Don't spend all that bonus money in one place!

Prime Time Driving

Most of the last few days where spent in review. Woke up to a light snow in Pittson but wasn't tobad.

I passed my CDL test with a trifecta.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Prime Time Driving

Been a few more days. We picked up another trainee. This has changed the teaching dynamic alot and for the better. I've been able watch backing from outside the truck and inside the truck as well as going over pretrip together.

Learned to ally dock. Which honestly I thought of the hardest going into it. Now as long you set up and use your reference points correctly it relatively easy. Though I found it can go very badly if you mess up even a little bit.

I attempted to go through all four straightline back, offset, parallel parking and ally dock. I did great on the first three, messed up the setup for my ally dock and completely messed up the ally dock as well.

Was so angry with myself over that, as my last attempt was nearly perfect. (Almost made the entire dock without the need for a pull up. )

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Prime Time Driving

I cut the turn to tight , pulling the air hoses. My instructor said I'm not the first trainee to jackknife or sweep the deck. He thinks I was just the last straw for it.

Apperently my you turn in the drop off parking lot was the last straw.

What does that statement mean?

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Equipment provided vs purchased for company driver?

I was wondering about the no chocks comment didn't realize the manuals where like that.

Does your trainee know you use if claw hammers lol

With automatics some companies want you to have chocks in order to do the brake test which we didnt need to chock in the manuals.

For me it is claw hammer, flashlight and jumper cables. I can kill someone with all of them.and get the truck rolling after I bury the body 😂

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Prime Time Driving

Sorry been busy. Wednesday was alot of sitting around waiting for everything to clear. Drug screen finally came through and I was cleared. I was told my trainer would not be there until the next day. So I spend my time on the pad pre tripping.

Thursday I met my trainer and we spent most of our time on the pad doing back up training, we did some driving turns with the flatbed. I was told to gather my stuff from the hotel and check out. Friday I'd be in the truck and we would go pick up a load.

Friday we went to pick up a load, learned the basics of securing a load and drove to Baltimore for gas and sit out our 10 hours.

Saturday got up at 3 on Saturday to get gas and get ready for the day. We made our 9am delivery, and went off for next load. It's a live pickup on Monday, so we are sitting about a 100 miles out, waiting a 34 hour reset.

Sunday. Obviously still waiting out the reset, but did need to get some repairs done. So got to watch a air hose get repaired. Apperently my you turn in the drop off parking lot was the last straw.

Any updates?

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Prime Time Driving

Day two is over. We went out to the yard, and watched a pre trip inspection on tractor. To give us some context, then went back inside to sit for awhile. I spent my time studying me pretrip material, memorizing information, ext.

In the afternoon we went in to do our simulator tests. That was both nerve wracking and fun. I did near perfect on the clear and snowy highway sections. But managed to clip a bridge because I missed the height sign in the city.

Luckily that was apart of the practice runs. Sat down and passed my simulator test on the first try, now just got to wait to get my clearance, and I can move out to the training pad and hopefully meet my trainer.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Clearinghouse deadline, and new FMCSA guidance about yard moves

Maybe explains the issues we had with it. Had to do it several times before it finally registered

A Government run web site that crashes every time there is a high volume of users to register or log in??? Seems like we have heard this record before???? Hummm...

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Prime Time Driving

Had a hard time sleeping. General nervousness before a new job. Standard day off orientation CBTs, filling out paperwork, asking questions. Ended up working through breakfast and lunch and just finished the CBT. So decided to go get my free meal.

I had not decided on division until I was asked at orientation and went Flatbed. Right now, just waiting around for a chance to use the simulator, not much to report as a first dau