Profile For If you think I think I'm better than you, I am

If you think I think I'm better than you, I am 's Info

AZ

Rookie Solo Driver

5 months, 2 weeks ago

If you think I think I'm better than you, I am 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

If you think I think I'm better than you, I am 's Photo Gallery

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

In today's episode of "what makes people look down on truck drivers"

If you have to search far and wide for a justification for your actions and you arrived at anything other than "I did it right" you did it wrong. The rest is stink on the wind. That's the difference between a true professional and someone paying lip service. Again you do, you. You can settle for it and lie to yourself and everyone one else about how you're top tier. But you'll know your not.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

In today's episode of "what makes people look down on truck drivers"

I stand by what I said. Making excuses for poor decisions and "what ifs" aren't something my playbook. The final outcome is the terminal point. If my last name was England I'd have issue with how my company was just represented. Just because it's been done and other people do it, doesn't make it a professional action. You can also bet that everyone who pulled in that late morning formed a negative opinion of the driver and the company who hired him. I am not going to argue with anyone. If this is how you do it out there, then that's how you'll be taken and you will not be improving your image or the image of the industry.

Plan on where you will stop. I always park in a spot because it is part of my daily trip plan.

Scott I agree completely! The 6 P's come to mind. Plan your trip and have contingency plans in case plan A falls short.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

In today's episode of "what makes people look down on truck drivers"

Found in the wild on I-15 Northbound west side of Cedar City Utah. This guy has brought discredit upon himself, his fellow CR England drivers, and CR England as a whole. Notice the subtleties of the skillful parking of this individual. Not only is he parked behind the angled row of truck parking, having his shades drawn catching a glorious snooze, he couldn't even line up straight. Now now that all the parking is starting to empty out all he succeeded in doing is blocking 6 or 7 spaces from being used by incoming trucks. If there's any CR England guys/gals on here, maybe they can provide a number for someone in their operations Department who is in charge correcting deficient driver decisions.

0130614001620169948.jpg

0823624001620169972.jpg

0419523001620170000.jpg

Might he had a restroom (or family) emergency ?!?!? I really don't think that was an 'intentional' . . . "PARK."

Then again, I'm just a driver's wife, tbh!

Just my 2cents and I don't do this often (comment) anymore. I'm usually kicked to the curb, haha!

Let us know,

~ Anne ~

Intentional enough to draw the sleeping shades and go to sleep. I guess I can credit the driver for not parking IN FRONT of everyone. However the lesser boneheaded play is still boneheaded. But I cannot in any form give the decision making processes used here any latitude. The driver made choices, all of them where poor choices.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Hole in the wall food places

Eagle's Landing Pilot in Beaver, UT. There's a Mexican restaurant inside with top notch food.

I can confirm this and it's reasonably priced too!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting with Pride Transport SLC on 15 Feb 2021 ask away!

That's a internal leak/failure that necessitates replacement.

The fittings I wrote of are for the air lines and fittings. These can loosen up.

As Lady Luck would have it, I have been blessed with yet another air can that's leaking air. Same as before truck won't hold air unless it's at a high RPM. This time it's the rear driver side tandems air can that's leaking. So here I sit in front of a Freightliner dealership hoping that they can get me squeezed in before they close at 6 tonight. If not, first thing in the morning. On the brighter side of life I was told on June 1st I'll be getting a $0.03 per mile pay bonus!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

In today's episode of "what makes people look down on truck drivers"

0130614001620169948.jpg

0823624001620169972.jpg

0419523001620170000.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Hole in the wall food places

Frontier village exit 40 on I-70 in Richfield Utah. Park in back or walk over from the flying j across the street. The chicken fried steak is top notch.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Save my cats!

Anybody got ideas on how to prevent these thefts, short of posting a sniper on my yard?

Thx,

Ken

Depending on the pay schedule I could be your designated marksman. Disposing of the bodies is your responsibility.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

I finally ran into one of "those" people

Yup people that generally dislike trucks/truckers. But the irony of it was the disliker put himself in the predicament, no one else. So if you're familiar with I-70 west of Denver at exit 133, in Dotsero, clearly marked as "Truck Parking MM133" on the old Google Maps, is... yup you guessed it! Truck parking. So I was wrapping up a 10 hour leg from Fabulous Las Vegas and was pulling in about 1700. Spots where filling up fast, but the rest of the truckers did some social distancing away from this Bus/RV that descided to camp out. Well... all that was about left of the spots was next to the RV and I didn't hesitate. Not one second did the thought cross my mind that an RV'er/trucker disliker would take issue with a truck parking next to him at a place labeled "Truck Parking". Well I tell you what, why I have never been so misinformed on a topic. So I parked and my truck idled down and I did my post trip and set up the comfort mode on my Cascadia, then proceeded to do paperwork and double prep my plan for my delivery in Aurora in the am. It was warm-ish and 3188 was idling merrily away as I was lost in thought, my reverie was soon and quite abruptly dispelled by a knock on my door. Now I was not expecting said knock and I suffer from what some folks can call combat fatigue, shell shock, PTSD or what have you. Needless to say, I went from 0 to 100 real quick and had many muscle memories take over. Anyway there's this graying gentleman in flip flops and cargo shorts and a very dapper polo and coordinated visor, I'm sure you've seen the type. He proceeded to ask me when I was going to shut down my truck because he and the fam couldn't hear the TV. In my haste to park without so much as a thought toward his dilemma, I guess my truck's engine bay lined up pretty good with his push out living room. I worked really, really hard to keep an even keel and explained to him how the Freightliner's Optimized Idle worked...he was neither impressed nor amused. No, he was mad that he couldn't hear his tv and probably didn't hear half of my explanation. Instead he just asked me to shut down. Now I can be verbose and quick to wit and I said "Sure, I'll be over in 5 minutes for dinner and a movie." All I got was a quizzical gawp from the face of this gentleman. So I shut off the truck and said since he was nice enough to invite me into his home on wheels that he should let me bring the cokes. More gawp. I explained since it was too warm not to run my truck, I really appreciated the thought to allow me to keep cool inside his RV. More gawp before he turned and walked back around the front of my truck towards his mobile domicile. I think just for a fleeting moment I saw a stutter in his step, like he might just turn and come back. Nope. So after sundown and the temps dropped 3188 continued to cycle on every so often... and so did my reefer. I was up and gone as soon as my 10 was reset and the RV was still parked as I pulled away. This afternoon as I was going west on I70, he sat there, still....surrounded by other truckers.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Starting with Pride Transport SLC on 15 Feb 2021 ask away!

The air pressure gauges will fluctuate while driving. Bumpy road while using your brakes on a downhill grade? It may drop as low as 80 PSI.

Did you check for a close fitting on that brake canister? It could be a real quick fix with an adjustable crescent wrench.

When I crawled under there was air escaping from the opening on the end where you cage the brakes. That seemed like a puncture in the bellow to me. Not sure what fitting you mean. But if you could post a picture, I'd like to know more!

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Starting with Pride Transport SLC on 15 Feb 2021 ask away!

I jinxed myself. About an hour east of Salina Utah on the 70W, I look down at my dash and notice I only had a little over a hundred psi of air. Drove a little furtherand notice the air was backup, but only to about a hundred and ten PSI. Outside of Salina on the 70 going west there's a nice long downgrade. At the top of the hill I noticed I had about a hundred and 12 or 15 psi. Mind you that seems low, but not crazy low. I gear down and work my way down the hill and notice my PSI is back up to 125. At the bottom of the hill is a nice gradual decline that in Top Gear the transmission will shift into coast mode. Check my gauge again, and my PSI is below a hundred. Now I'm worried. Pull into the Maverick off of exit 56 come to find out I've got a leaking air can on the driver's front tandem. As I sit here waiting for road repair to come by, I just filed my first macro for a breakdown.

Posted:  3 months ago

In the beginning...

Pride Transport is also on the list, however they have a six month contract for all drivers (I think). So I might go with the apprenticeship for 6 months or so then go over to Pride?

Thanx Mike

Pride does have a 6 month contract if you have CDL/no experience and go through their training. But if you're cut out for the job 6 months is nothing.

Posted:  3 months ago

Starting with Pride Transport SLC on 15 Feb 2021 ask away!

MSgt. I am starting at Bridgerland CDL Monday April 26th. I have narrowed my choices to two. Pride or Werner. Werner offers the apprenticeship for BAH (post 9/11 GI Bill), but Pride seems to offer more out of the gate. How are you finding your days at Pride?

So I can't give you a comparison of the two, but I gave heard good things about Werner. On the road the seem to be the only company that I can pass. So I guess their trucks are governed at a low speed like Pride's are. I'm just wrapping up my first 2 weeks of solo and there has been challenges. Mainly when my FM is away and the other FM's get involved, it causes some headaches. Nothing you can't roll with. I really have very few complaints so far. If things continue as they have on the company side I'll be quite happy right with Pride. I have struggled a little with trip planning, going east I'm on point. Go west and I'm a hot mess. But but my FM gets it and doesn't mind all my questions. Here is a quick list of Pride's benefits that aren't really on the website.

Produce loads net you 30 bucks a dock bump and dentention and 100 bucks for layover.

10 bucks if the driver cleans out the trailer. A leaf blower can get most trailers done in 10 minutes.

Fuel points get you free showers, food, reserved parking and store merch. They are linked to pilot/flying j. But I have fueled at TA/Petro and Loves to get me to a P/FJ

Detention is after 2 hrs for each quarter he at 15 bucks an hour. Layover is 50. Breakdown is 15. I doubt it happens much, good fleet maintenance.

Scales are paid via the app and your company card as is fuel.

If you need fluids/small parts call maintenance for a PO and you can use a comdata check or you can get reimbursed on payday. I do this way to get credit card points. Too bad they wouldn't do that for fuel.

I don't know how other companies are, but to me this is a great way to do business.

Posted:  3 months ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

Not going to offer what gps is better. They are electronics, they will let you down, eventually. That said, Pride's Drivertech system has Nav and I just found out yesterday it is not infallible. It doesn't show the TA's or the newer Flying J in Denver.

But to talk cost. Flying J points rack up fast. If you can get by with Google maps/Hammer/TruckerPath/Altas or all of them, rack points and drive down that cost of your GPS. This is what my current plan is.

Also, maybe someone with experience in filing trucker taxes (Kearsey maybe) can speak to being able to write it off at the end of the year as a expense. Something I am also looking for the answer to.

Posted:  3 months ago

Is there a general process, guideline or best practice for picking up from shipper and dropping at reciever?

Yeah, what Mikey says /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

You are just doing your job, the guards and dock people are just doing theirs. It's common for the receiver & shipper people to treat truck drivers at the lowest common denominator (which can get pretty low). It's not hard for you to act and be above average.

Though it never hurts to ask, the worst thing that can happen to you is to get a "No!" answer. Most of the time the local people have all the marbles at their own shop.

This...this right here. Errol makes a point so fine, many forget its importance. I've only been solo a bit over a week and no matter the time I show up at the receiver, I start with a big smile and a warm greeting. Set the tone on how you want your interaction to go. I was 5 hours early to a noon drop and they let me park on premises and still where able to get me back on the road before my appointment time. Be happy, be flexible, be humble. Sound off early that you have never been there and that you don't want to make a mistake. You'll find it goes a LONG way! lastly, take a moment to talk about them if you have time. I found a guard at a receiver that was a Marine at a base I was at once. You can bet we'll remember each other and be able to help each other. Everything else the other posters said is spot on. Be flexible and as my new Marine buddy said to me "Semper Gumby".

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Other people’s doubts

It's your life to live, live it. Their doubts are out of fear and lack of knowledge.

This...this right here. Especially for your parents. As for your boyfriend... find a trucker boyfriend, team drive, stack that cash and live a great life. I'd do that in an instant.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Starting with Pride Transport SLC on 15 Feb 2021 ask away!

So my 1st solo day was also challenging. 3188 was being cantankerous. After sitting unused for a few weeks I believe she became barn sour. Once the inverter was installed she said "nah-uh Eff-yoo!" The truck would flash the hazards once, the low beams once and then the high beams once and after a pause it would repeat. I never saw so many coveralled men gathered around one truck with such puzzled looks.

I gave up and let dispatch (my FM was out most of the week) know that it was unlikely I'd make my 1600 departure and opted to do my 34 in SLC. The weekend guys may not be the best at covering for a dedicated account, but who knows. After a glorious nap up in Pride's "quiet" lounge, the truck get fixed.

So I grabs me a trailer and wash it out. Pride pays the driver 10 smackers for such efforts. Then I hit the fuel island for a top off and then a pass through the wash rack, before I park for the night. Grabbed the shuttle van and went to Wally World for some essentials and called it a night.

Off before the sun to Ogden for a load of Hershey's candy. Love this place, they give 2 free candy bars to drivers. Then make time to Hurricane for a drop n hook headed to Denver. My regular FM is back Monday, so hopefully I will get a more definitive routine.

I guess for now my objective of becoming a truck driver is complete. If something unusual or a learning moment presents itself I'll post it here. If anyone drops in with questions, I will be checking in on this thread to answer. Thanks to all who have offered advice, encouragement and took the time to read my story.

See you on the black top, if you see me and 3188 make sure and wave or say hello.

0767545001618189590.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting with Pride Transport SLC on 15 Feb 2021 ask away!

Well it's official I am a company man now.

Much like the military, my test day was an exercise in hurry up and wait. It was also filled with its share of challenges. Come closer dear reader and let me avail opon you my tale.

Showed at 0800 for my written test, proctor wasn't ready yet. So...I was told to go stash my shizz in my assigned truck. 3188 btw, she's a 2019 Cascadia. But she was dirty in n out and a dead battery to boot. Returning to the proctor with said discrepancies, he said to start the test and the crew would get on it.

45 minutes and headache later the written test is complete. Missed a few. Trip planning was old school. Not even a calculator allowed. As you can imagine I missed carrying a letter or dotting a number or some such algebraic nonsense. Also missed a couple of questions related to policies. But "C's" get degrees.

By this time I'm put on hold as the road test guy is busy, so I wait for an hour or so for him to un-busy and get us a truck and loaded trailer to test in. And here I thought I would be testing in my truck or another Cascadia like my trainer had. Nope, we grabbed a Pete and carried on smartly.

Road test was pretty straightforward. Pretrip was standard DOT fare excepting the reefer pretrip. It was part, test part guidance. But I'm not one to turn down a pro-tip. Completed the road test and I was told to work on my stopping distance behind vehicles at red lights. They want 2 car lengths. Ok fair enough. Then I was told I needed to use my Jakes more. Since the roadtrip was mostly in town I found that odd.

So we park and I'm off to find my truck and move in. Dm already has a load on me and I'm feeling pressure. Truck was hidden from me, joke on the new guy maybe. Ah who knows. I find her she's clean and fresh in n out and starts too! Time for inventory and initial inspection right?

Nope. I get called back to training and they apologetically tell me a big portion of the road test was missed. Imagine dear readers my inner monologue to this junction of the day. Well off we go to get a truck n trailer. Our HQ is in the crook of the I15 and I80 area, so we jump on the 80 head east for the mountain pass that borders SLC. Up the hill down, the hill, back to the yard. No mention of my Jake usage. Did you see the foreshadowing earlier?

So now its 5pm on Friday and the rats are scurrying from the ship. I'm in low blood sugar and sleep deprivation status as I was driving nothing but nights. So I grab chow and sort out what little gear I have in the truck and give the interior the fine tooth comb for the initial inspection. A shower and two turns around and it's 2300, rack time!

Up early Saturday to complete the inspection, get my inverter installed and a new safety inspection. Truck is in the shop as I type this. I have to be out of the yard by 1600 to grab my 1st solo load in Ogden to take to Hurricane and drop n hook head to Aurora Co.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting with Pride Transport SLC on 15 Feb 2021 ask away!

I just dropped a trailer at our dropyard in Southern Utah and since I'm stuck waiting until midnight for my next trailer to arrive I decided to calculate my hours.

It's official! I have hit my required 200 hrs of team driving.

I will drag this next load for 6 more hours back to Cali and then my trainer will offload and drop n hook a trailer in Ontario bound for SLC. Should be in the yard hopefully late Thursday to early Friday. After some sleep I'll be testing out for solo.

My routes dm is off with a family issue, so the trainer is going to help me get a load towards home. Then I can outfit my truck and get a 34, so I can start my route on Monday with a fresh clock.

The milestone of becoming a company driver vs a trainee is with my grasp. Funny thing is my mom is way more excited than anyone else and more than needs be. Lol but that's why moms are awesome. Here's a tip...

Call your mom, tell her you love her and thank her for just being Mom.

All things go well and the next entry will detail the testing and I'll change my status!

dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Journey with Wilson Logistics - Springfield, MO

Be silently following along, keep a inner dialogue about each backings pros n cons, you'll start forecasting what's gonna happen before it does and then it'll hit. Good luck.