Comments By 87Wrangler

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0602276001616721005-101183.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year ago

Finally Made It

Hey wait a minute. Were you talking about the Truck or Me? lol

Posted:  1 year ago

Two months solo at Schneider

Good Job....I'm right behind you!!

Posted:  1 year ago

Finally Made It

Antique...LOL Appreciate it!!

Posted:  1 year ago

Finally Made It

Pulled the valve covers off a couple days ago just for inspection before heading back and found a broken valve spring on the number 5 cylinder at the exhaust side. This would explain the missing and blowback into the intake. I ordered parts on Sunday, which are due wed. or thurs. and has delayed my trip back home to get my license issued. Was able to make an appointment at the DMV for Monday and hope to make it there safely. I am praying the valve isn't burned and still seats properly, but will have to wait and see. I did do my orientation today, and clearing house, and only need some reefer training tomorrow and orientation will be complete. I received a hat, gloves, lock, safety vest, safety book, manual, log book, ect. Also have much better directions back to avoid toll roads and CHICAGO. Cant wait to get back behind the wheel. I am missing it already!! Will be in touch before I head back. I welcome all of your prayers this has been one tough journey so far and thank you in advance for any prayers you would be willing to offer up for me and my families behalf.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

Guys just got back from my early morning testing....Passed 100% on pre/trip and had to do the whole truck A, B, & C. Did get five points on backing, and eleven on the road trip...So thankful I passed.

Thanks everyone for you help!!

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

The weld isn't nice to look at but holding not too bad being on the side of the road, doing the safety squint. Can you believe I forgot my welding helmet??? I can...lol

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

In the beginning of the welding phase I was having trouble getting the weld to stick to the cast iron block, but finally found a nickel rod, I had about a 1/2 a rod..........but it was enough to get me here......lol

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

Just to show you guys how bad the starter broke the block I uploaded a photo of the break and repair. I am also glad I had my 20v dewalt grinder. I have never been this far from home, and with funds being just enough, when I left I tried to be prepared for anything and so far looks like a good call. One of the temp gauge, she went further at about the three oclock position once I turned it off, it was smoking so bad I got the fire extinguisher out, took about an how to cool down enough to take the cap off. Oh. and one of the whole set up........love my old truck, but the 6.2 diesel is giving me a fit right now. Our house flooded during hurricane florence and we lost everything. So instead of getting myself a new truck, I got my wife her dream car and I started working on this old girl. I got her about 15 years ago and it has just been sitting. I do miss my king ranch right about now that the flood got, but its ok, she got me here and could not ask for more. I picked up this camper about the flood time and rebuilt it because we didnt know what the house was going to look like, glad I had it, much less cost on staying in a motel....385.00 a week vs 350.00 a month at the campground and is only a mile from work.

0698645001622459381.jpg

0907488001622459399.jpg

0800515001622459420.jpg

0854788001622459437.jpg

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

I am hanging in there, nervous about tomorrow's test. The old girl is still cranking, and missing. I pulled one valve cover hoping it was a retainer, or valve spring, but need to pull the other one today, after I get back from practicing. I think I will go over and practice for about five or six hours this morning. She still has to get me back to NC if I pass the test to get my license issued, and then back here again to start driver training and finally earning some money. One of the guys is going to let me leave the camper at his house to lighten the load until I get back so that is helpful. At this point much prayer would be appreciated. If I happen to fail, it would really put me in a bind financially, but I am trying to only focus on doing the right things to pass the test. I have made it this far and hoping to follow through. Thanks for the comments, and humor. It is needed in a situation like this...LOL

P.S. I stopped at walmart to grab a few things yesterday and posted a photo, not sure where it will end up on the thread or in my photos, but tell me do you think the old girl is leaking a little.....lol She got so hot in W. Virginia that she melted the return lines off of the injectors guess it worked on all the gaskets as well. So glad I saved the old ones........

0912041001622455578.jpg

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

Yes I welded it on the side of the road with a 110v welder and a power inverter that I keep in my toolbox, also had to drill and tap the hole...it sucked on the side of the road, but was glad I had that little harbor freight welder.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

Left the east coast around 7am on Sat. morning, late start truck would not start. Then truck has a breakdown and overheated bad in W. Virginia, then starter broke the block after getting fuel and checking all fluids somewhere not even sure what state I was in but think Ohio or Indiana, welded it and kept driving, and if that is not enough started missing and smoking somewhere in Ohio, but made it to Wisconsin about 11:30 Sunday night and got the camper set up and to bed around 2am. So that was about 1500 miles of driving and had one hour sleep in a two day period and only slept 3 hours Friday night. Was exhausted to say the least on Monday but showed up on time. Was sent for drug test and physical around 10am, then came back to the yard and was told to do a straight back and nailed it all the way across the parking lot up to a dock door about 400 yards away; was asked to do it again, so I did. Then the instructor said do you want a hard backing maneuver or easy? I said hard, he said ok cones or real world. I chose cones, he said this one is tough lets go real world first to see what happens and save the life of a cone, so I nailed it no pull ups. He said do it again to see if this is beginners luck, so I nailed it again, this time with one pull up.

Shifting is good going up and down in the yard but struggle when out on the road going back down with double clutching. I am too focused on not hitting anything but grinding gears at most intersections is very frustrating, but hey its my second day. Wednesday we went out into the city and interstate, and turned at a lot of intersections to get the feel of tracking. 70 mph was a little stressful to say the the least, and a lot to process with the traffic, curves, lights, shifting, ect. considering I am still learning to use the mirrors....All of them!! We drove about 5 hours in town and around then I went back and practiced backing and set up's which is another weakness, I usually end up on the far side of the hole I'm shooting for or and some weird angle but once I get it in both mirrors I can put it in. Need more practice for sure and glad that is not on the test...

Thursday we drove about 300 miles all over the place, even backed into my first spot at a real live truck stop, it was on an angle and took me about 3 pull ups to get it, but did. I am having trouble find a good reference point to go from out in the open, maybe it will get better in time. Love the truck and air ride seat!! He called my test in for Tuesday because Monday is a holiday and could not find anyone for Sat. Seems a little fast, the pre-trip and air brake test came easy because I studied the material that is provided on this site, went went through it a couple times and he said you are good to go on that...Thank you guys for that!!

The test seems a little fast, but he said I would pass, so I am going to go with it. Once licensed I will have about 5 weeks of real world training and if that goes well, will be assigned a truck and go solo. Thanks again for all of your help and that is too everyone, Big Scott, Old School, and all of the others, you know who you are!!

I will check back in Tuesday and let you guys know if I passed, I am praying that I will but can't help but be concerned, anything can happen. Friday we just drove around the different cities, and today I came in on my own to practice more backing, downshifting, and set up's in the yard, and plan too tomorrow and Monday as well. I have stayed late each evening to practice own my own in the yard, It seems the more time I have in the truck the more I learn. The spot and convex mirrors and getting easier to use with each passing day and can see how helpful they can be.

Almost forgot on the way here I went across the skyway in Chicago and through the city, had to run the heater wide open in the stop and go traffic to keep the old girl from overheating for about three hours and was so glad I fueled up a few miles out, man was it hot and the traffic was not fun considering I was pulling a camper. I hope I never go across that thing again, was rolling about 3 mph when I finally crested the top of it, the old girl was smoking and missing but got me over it, plus cost me about 40.00 dollars in tolls if I remember correctly. If I can help it i will never purchase the 1.50 ticket at the start of the skyway again. Whoever, thought up the first ticket you purchase must like the carnival and that's just exactly what it felt like to me a huge carnival ride, that was way to high in the air, why does the thing go so high? It looked like it was only missing a tiny little house or building... Anyway, I am nervous, excited, and just don't know all rolled up into one.....but am not turning back unless the man above tells me too...lol

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Finally Made It

Started on Monday, yesterday the instructor was calling to try to find an appointment for testing on Tuesday but may get delayed until Thursday because of the holiday....not sure yet. Downshifting beat me up the first time out on the road Wednesday, because my focus was absolutely on my surroundings and not hitting anything...Yesterday was much better, learning to use the mirrors a little better and not fighting the transmission at every intersection lowered my stress levels...I do much better if I just listen to the engine and not the tach, maybe just a glance before downshifting, iOS gifting and backing has came natural, not bragging just has, nailed all three backs first time, but I am struggling with the setup when choosing a spot to back in to though; usually I am lined up at a offset or completely centered the outer or inner edge of my target...lol but hopefully that will improve with time. I will try to give a better description of all that has went on when I get this testing over with... oh... and OLD SCHOOL... It’s J. Bauer Trucking out if Wisconsin. So far have been some of the nicest professional people you would want to meet and work for. The instructor is very knowledgeable, a good sense of humor and a good man as well, you know a person of integrity ...I think I have made a good choice to learn and will probably retire here. Yesterday I met one driver that has been with Mr. Bauer for 39 years and most have been here long term.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Should I buy a GPS unit πŸ€”

It went to my online gallery for some reason you can view it there.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Should I buy a GPS unit πŸ€”

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Should I buy a GPS unit πŸ€”

It does have the built in cameras and sd card and screen protector....sorry for the typo.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Should I buy a GPS unit πŸ€”

Moe,

I know how it is when money gets tight... If you will tell me how to get in touch with you I will send you a used truck gps..Rand Mcanally OD8PRO you will just need to get a mount for it, works good for me. I know how hard you have tried to get this going and will be glad to help, no strings attached! I purchased it for myself, then found another one for a good price, so now I have two, and only need one, it has the FM transmitter mount and charging cord just needs the suction cup. Has been updated as well. I was going to keep it for a backup but its yours if you can use it and will help you out! Itndoesmhave the built in cameras and sd card as well.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Famous Quotes on Trucking Truth

What's the secret of success? Right decisions! How do you make Right Decisions? Experience! How do you get Experience? Wrong Decisions!

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

A Few More Loose Ends

As a matter of fact Errol, skip the ones with entities as well!! LoL

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

A Few More Loose Ends

Errol,

Please feel free to share the address of all truck stops that have photos of very clean sister in shower, that do not supply your very own wish rags! My vivid imagination was getting the best of me for a second, until I scrolled down a bit....lol

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

So does that mean Eugene is not part of the forum anymore? I was randomly folling his progress, but missed what he said this morning. Glad I did if it was bad enough to get him booted!