Comments By DoctorWho_214

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0107010001613890516-101483.jpg avatar

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Thanks for the support guys. The manager said I was approved to start but I haven't received any paperwork or anything.. so just a little bit more waiting for me.

Bobcat, once again, I make no promises!

Daniel, looking forward to meeting you in person, got a lot to learn!

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

So I got off the phone with the OM at OD terminal and that I just wanted to follow up on the application I put in and if there were any issues they found in my background check. He said that I was approved to start. He just needed to get a hold of HR to get a start date. The training class starts next month but if I wanted to start earlier, I would work the docks before class starts.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Hey Pack. Can you post that skeleton pic again?

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Pretty much Pack. Had to stop myself from calling to see any updates to follow up. You're supposed to wait three days after the first date, right? 😂 Joking aside, would it be rude to call for a follow up?

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for the call tomorrow.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Hey Daniel. Quick question. Got an email saying my background check was complete on Friday and I sent in the most recent DOT physical I have to OD. Everything sounds like it's going well. How soon does that phone call come in for that start date? Or whether they went with a different candidate? Also when is the next training class to begin this month or next month?

Posted:  9 months, 4 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Pretty much Pack haha! I get updates as the background check goes and it says it will be complete anytime between now and next Tuesday. So just playing the waiting game for now.

Posted:  10 months ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Does anything change if I already have my class A CDL?

Posted:  10 months ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

I definitely intend to go through OD's driver training as soon as the background check is clear! I'm willing to work the docks when class is not in session to make some extra income. And I am definitely looking forward to getting this auto restriction off my CDL.

Bobcat, I make no promises about not grinding gears haha! By the way Daniel, what does the 1 week of training look like?

Posted:  10 months ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

I was able to go in for my road test yesterday, but it never started. I explained to the trainer my situation and at the beginning, he already had his doubts. We started the truck up and it became obvious that I had never driven a 10 speed truck before. You're supposed to fully press on the clutch to start the engine. No amount to youtube videos could have taught me that. Then he asked me to drive around the yard to pick up a dolly. Gotta say, the longest 100 yards or so of that poor truck, grinding gears and stalling at least twice. Made it halfway before he decided to talk to the manager to tell him that he didn't feel safe taking me out on the freeway hauling doubles when I couldn't even shift properly. I sat down with the hiring manager and he explained that I would need to go through their driving training program either in Sacramento or Reno, depending who had more students. The next class would start in October, so my background check would have to finish by then to get a call for my start date, if I was approved.

Before I go, I have to say, the trainer was awesome. He explained to me the situation that I wouldn't be able to test that day but encouraged me to do all I can and what I can do to get this position. Told me it was the best company he's ever worked for and I believe him. I'm hoping everything goes well and I'll keep you guys posted. Cheers!

Posted:  10 months ago

Anyone ever taken a leave of absence before?

That sounds like an awesome plan. There's been many places I pass by, especially around Oregon or Washington, that I would stop by if only I was in my personal vehicle. But yeah, trucking isn't your typical job where you can take time off just like that. You have to keep in mind the logistics and where to park your truck while you're on PTO or vacation. But I wouldn't trade it in for an office job at all. Enjoy your vacation time!

Posted:  10 months ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Have you personally trained someone with an automatic restriction? Did you take them to the DMV in the company truck to test?

Posted:  10 months ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Quick update: Background check is taking a little bit, got my drug screening and road test on Friday. Hiring manager said I'll be sitting in with a driver for at least 6 weeks if I get the linehaul position. I'm hoping my auto restriction doesn't hurt my chances.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Gotcha. Seems like it's just in a different order for me. The background check is in progress right now, drug screen is next Friday and I have to call and confirm about the road test.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

So I've been doing some reading on the other posts and was wondering, once the background check comes back and is clear, and once I've done the drug screen test, do I have to schedule the road test? Or is the road test something you do once you're hired and set up with a trainer?

And nothing wrong with that Bobcat! I'm always mistaken for the older brother when I'm four years younger haha!

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Update: Got all the background check paperwork this morning. Filled them all out and sent them all back and with HireRight. Only thing I wasn't able to do so far is the drug screening, which I have an appointment for next week and the road test. (Still have to confirm the time and date) Fingers crossed guys!

Wait a minute Bobcat. 34 years before you retire? Now if I'm doing the math correctly, that would make you at the same age if not younger than me. Wow. No offense thought you were older. And I mean that in the best way possible!

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

How can I upgrade to manual?

During my home time, I'm planning to go to a truck driving school to take a refresher course. They'll provide the training, it could be a few hours or few days, depending how quick you pick it up. They'll also set you up to take the road test in their truck.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. At the point in my life where I'm looking for a job I can retire from.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Just got the offer letter in the email this morning. Looked at it and answered all the questions that came with it. Now waitinh on the background check portion to get here. Hoping all is well.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

I was scheduled to have an in-person interview, but before I got off the phone with the manager I asked if there were any alternatives since I'll be on the road and won't be back home until next month. He suggested that we could do a phone interview with the operations manager, one of the linehaul supervisors and himself. This was last week last time we spoke. Fast forward to today, just got off the phone interview and it went well. I mean, as well as I had hoped. They told about the pay and benefits, hours and schedule I can look forward to while on the extra board, and everything. Answered all the questions I had. I told them about my auto restriction and they said it won't be too much of an issue, if I have to spend some extra time with a trainer then so be it. I told them I was ready and willing to take some time, enroll at a local CDL school for a refresher course to ease my way into removing that restriction. Long story short, they said they were going to send me an offer letter after the call (been checking my email since, haven't gotten anything...will call tomorrow) Sooner I can fill out the paperwork, the sooner we can get the ball rolling. And that in-person interview scheduled next month? Might just be the road test and drug test. Then the background check which they say may take at least a few weeks. I'm hoping it turns out well. A little bit anxious too. Sorry for the long read but I appreciate your time. Have a good one!

Will keep you guys posted 👍