Profile For Harvey C.

Harvey C.'s Info

6 months, 1 week ago

Harvey C.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Harvey C.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 days, 3 hours ago

Got to love people who park where they please

Our son Michael seems to get less frustrated by some of the hassles he runs into and learns to laugh when sharing about it later. Last month he delivered an 83 pound load 700 miles to two Michael's Stores locations (two pallets, maybe artificial flowers???). He said he was lucky that his delivery at this one was in the middle of the night but he still had to drive over some curbs. At the store below it required a long backing that was not straight. It sure does not seem like this was designed for 53' trailers or maybe anything but box trucks.

I have to wonder if some cities just have very relaxed planning departments. I hear some stories of how some cities are very strict on all sorts of things, including traffic flow.

0658583001632195364.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Getting my CPAP machine Monday.

Wow, impressive they are monitoring that actively, but they are probably desperate for more drivers. Congrats!

Side note: My doctor is obese (like me) and told me that CPAP use helps with weight loss, but didn't explain how. However, he told me he had quit using his CPAP. What a motivator, lol.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Getting my CPAP machine Monday.

Bruce, 5 is a pretty low number but it should not affect the amount of flow, just the pressure it forces if there is an obstruction. My doctor set me at a fixed pressure of 7 and I had no problem with flow except when I first lay down and take some deep breaths. I've recently changed my machine to auto, with base pressure of 7 and max pressure of 13 on advice of others and am trying that out. I don't see a difference in my AHI which almost always below 1 but I do feel less tired in the afternoon. My doctor had advised against doing that and said that using higher pressures than needed can be a cause of central apneas later.

I'm neutral on this being a mandate. If it results in you getting more restful sleep and less oxygen deprivation, it should make you a safer driver. If it is too disruptive to your sleep, then it might not have much benefit. Studies show that sleep apnea can lead to many health problems such as heart damage (heart works harder because of lower oxygen levels) and cognitive function, so this is something people should chose to do on their own. As I commented previously, I found if I wear an oximeter while taking a nap without my CPAP, my oxygen saturation always drops quickly. I have little doubt that this is helping our health. As you get more used to it, it should get more comfortable and less disruptive.

One other tip someone posted on the apneaboard forum, if you're using a nasal mask such as we are, to help avoid mouth breathing, pull your tongue to the back of your mouth and then close your mouth. This becomes second nature after a while.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Noob trucker starting with Dollar General.

Ray, those are some great tips, material for a longer video. I watched Hustle & Motivate quite a bit when Michael took on the DG fresh account at CR England and told him he was crazy for taking the first reassignment offered to him but he got some good backing experience. Hustle hasn't gone into the details of unloading as much as you just did.

Hustle jumped from the frying pan into the fire when he went to Sysco for a while. He's quite entertaining sometimes.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Getting my CPAP machine Monday.

After a while, you'll get more used to the mask and it will be easier. Like backing up a trailer, sort of, lol. With time it should not be as much of a hassle.

I made a contraption to hold my hose up above me as I am somewhat restless and turning over and laying on your hose is a major disruption.

You might taking Benadryl (or generic) or Tylenol PM to make it easier for you to sleep through the night. It will be best for your health if you always use your CPAP when sleeping.

What mask are you using? I started out with a Phillips Pico mask and thought that was good for a while but didn't like it after a while and, after trying several different masks, ended up with Resmed N20. The Resmed P10 would have worked for me well except I have a deviated septum.

Sign up for Resmed's service and download their app so you can get daily reports on your AHI score, seal, etc. If you push the big knob and bottom button in at the same time, you can also get to the screen that shows you more numbers. Easier to see that explained on YouTube so search there if you are interested.

Good luck!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Getting my CPAP machine Monday.

Bet you had some nice dreams! Actually, I read the only way we can remember our dreams is if we are not fully asleep. I usually end up doing some sort of work in my dreams!

If you have any choice in what you get for a mask, you might read reviews of some masks on the apenaboard forum. Some people that are mouth breathers get by with a nasal mask (only covers nose) by using some surgical tape and taping their lips shut.

I believe the Ambien and Lorazepam may exaggerate the problems as does alcohol consumption before going to bed (according to very experienced folks on the same forum). Even so, I know I have problems even without because my watch shows my oxygen saturation drops when I take a nap or if I take off my mask early in the morning for a bathroom break and go back to sleep without.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Getting my CPAP machine Monday.

Great news, Bruce. How comfortable was the mask you wore during your study? Will you be getting the same kind? I had quit using a CPAP for about 10 years and I thought the mask I had during my study was great but I think that was partly because of them giving me Lorazepam to help make sure I slept okay. After I started wearing one at home I decided it was not so great. I don't know how Medicare works with this but most providers replace your mask if you don't like it in the first 30 days. I had to pay out of pocket for my own but have tried six different masks, ending up with the the third one I bought as being my go-to mask (Resmed N20). It's important to have one you find comfortable so that you are able to be compliant.

Good luck!

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Got my sleep study results

Bruce, I can't say this is something that I would recommend, but it is an option you might wish to consider. For various reasons, some people sell their slightly used CPAP machines. I just checked and see a slightly Resmed Airsense 10 machine on Craigslist in Sacramento for $400. These are considered to be medical devices and aren't supposed to be resold or sold without a prescription. I bought the same machine new from a seller on Amazon four years ago for much less than a doctor would sell it to me for but all are backordered now for the reasons you stated so buying a used machine, if you could find one (and willing to pay for it out of pocket) would be your fastest option to get started and compliant. You can buy a mask online at a place like Lofta. I bought the headgear separate from the mask (that's the only way they will sell it without a prescription). I just did it that way as my doctor really resisted giving me a prescription, he wanted me to buy from him at a much higher price. You can then take the machine to your doctor and have him change the settings. You can also change the settings yourself (I've experimented on different settings based on suggestions from very experienced folks on the apneaboard forum) but if you are going to need a signed compliance report from your doctor, then you should probably ask him to do it for you.

My older brother has congestive heart failure and was prescribed a CPAP machine about three weeks ago and said they the wait was going to be pretty long. So I am only mentioning the used equipment option to help if you really want to avoid further delays.

Good luck!

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Rolltainer blues for August

Wow. You have been killing it and it but back. Hope next week is better. I thought committing to this for a year was amazing and a second year? Well, crazy? ;)

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Tool reccomendation

Bruce, I didn't recommended the cable cutters for the cable seal. The angle grinder could do the job pretty quick, though! LOL

My son had his locked bicycle at college stolen, probably to somebody with an angle grinder. Some folks spend lots of money on expensive bicycle locks and the angle grinder eats through them all.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Tool reccomendation

The cable cutters are the best tool for that like posted by Robert above. Bruce, the angle grinder can come in handy. My son now has mine on his truck (I rarely have an unplanned need for it), he picked up a trailer that the prior driver had left his very heavy duty lock on. Fortunately, he was passing nearby here on his way to a Costco DC. I don't know how often something like this happens, it's his first time in just over a year.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Ode to the sleep study

My last (third) sleep study I was given lorazepam and I felt more rested the next morning than I had in a long time. That was four years ago. I sleep pretty well with my CPAP most nights but if I wake up after 6 hours of sleep then it's hard to get back to sleep with it so I remove it and sleep on my side since I generally don't have issues then. A big part of my success is that I actively sought advice from many experienced users at the apneaboard forum. My doctor wanted to prescribe me a machine and mask and majority of folks suggested trying others. Most providers will let you return a mask if you're not happy with it until you get one you like. Don't settle for something you don't like. I also built a contraption so that my hose hangs from up above me because I move around a lot when sleeping and don't want the hose to be getting in my way. That might not be an issue for you. I like my equipment.

My older brother (69) was prescribed a CPAP two weeks ago but was told that there is a lengthy backlog. Part of this is because Respironics machines were found to have foam degrading in them and patients were getting that in their lungs so they are being exchanged. That makes me extra glad I went with a Resmed Airsense10 machine four years ago.

Good luck!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Sleep study

As Christopher said, there is much better equipment options than years ago.

There are some things you can do very cheaply to just check out for a night or two that might be helpful in making a decision on what route to take. This is extremely inexpensive and would probably require you to tape it onto a finger and you must have your phone on nearby so that it's connected via bluetooth and recording your oxygen saturation level: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Q724QM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I got this because I would sometimes wake up from naps with a headache. Yup, my oxygen level sometimes drops within minutes of falling asleep.

I started using a CPAP over 10 years ago but gave up because it was too difficult to sleep with. After being tested again in 2017 and seeing the damage sleep apnea did to my father, I decided to spend more time investigating equipment options. Even though I felt very rested after the night of my 2017 sleep study, I already knew there were better equipment options than what the doctor was trying to sell me. I rarely am disturbed by wearing my Resmed P20 mask, many swear by the P10 mask.

I suggest you check out equipment reviews and suggestions at the apneaboard forum. There are numerous people that volunteer their time in helping people get the equipment that's best for them.

The night before last I did tear off my mask. I didn't know until I woke up several hours later that we were experiencing a power outage.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

60 minutes

The transcript of this story at https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless-trucks-could-disrupt-the-trucking-industry-as-soon-as-2021-60-minutes-2021-08-15/ is the same one that came out around early 2020, I believe. I specifically remember the mention of a trooper using hand signals. I wonder if this is a complete re-run or if it will include anything new.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

How do you put a photo up

Try Brett's helpful video here (sorry, can't insert with clickable link) https://player.vimeo.com/video/162519371

thats the problem no text box

Tammy, under here click start a new reply. Then scroll up. Just above the text box to reply in are blue buttons. Click the photo button, then click "Upload New Photo". Then Find the photo in your files. Once selected hit the "Go" button.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Newbie Trucker Dad Giving Advice - and Stories

Banks, I once got paid a nickel for helping with some garden chores, weeding all day. I never got paid for doing chores, that was part of the responsibility of being part of the family. My first job was maybe in sixth grade, not sure really why, but probably because I saw an opportunity to make some money and I worked in the cafeteria. Although I missed some class, I still always got very good grades. I always did that, while in high school and a little in college. Michael had some summer jobs before quitting college and starting in trucking, that's about it, but he has helped me with farm projects numerous times and I sometimes wish I had paid him but I hate more payroll work.

Math is not a good skill of Michael's. Taking care of his records is probably not necessary but both my wife and I have been meticulous about doing this and we just do it for him. With the trusts I administer and our business, that is very necessary but for him he wouldn't suffer if his checkbook wasn't balanced and he would get by okay. I know many people who never balance their checkbook much less save money for retirement. Unfortunately, in today's world, very few people do budgeting. Michael doesn't spend much money and I don't really see that changing. He is making good financial progress. My biggest concern for him money-wise is administration of our trust when we pass on.

You and others seem to think we are doing much more for him than we are and I just don't understand why or where some of you come up with that. Yes, I helped him find a different trucking company which he loves and he thanked me for that a few times. We take care of financial records. About once a month he will ask me to help him figure out scheduling, he can't do math in his head like me and while driving he will have some doubts about being able to make a delivery. I do share what he struggled with early on that he shared with us. He lets us know about what day he will get back home for a couple of days. That is pretty typical family communication. We did help out yesterday. He has a dog on his truck and has had an ear infection and our local vet is closed on weekends and booked all of next week so we drove to Reno and had dinner and then met him after a delivery and brought the dog home and took her to an animal hospital. I don't know how else he could have taken care of that. It was something that the dog had to be sedated for today and she should return to the road next week.

Now, as far as the way things work in the real word, I think I have enough experience with that. I'm 64 and up until about five years ago my dad still gave me advice and at age 87 he drove tractor for me one day. I didn't ask for his help but he saw I had my hands full. When he was actively farming, I helped him also. When he got started in farming, his father helped him and he helped his dad. That's how families should work together, in my opinion, and I think it's a sign of a terrible breakdown in family units that most people don't experience this. This sort of family helping was common for many centuries. My grandfather was a successful immigrant, my father was successful, my wife and I are successful, and we expect our son will do fine. We will give him help when he needs it. We also helped form his Catholic faith and is well respected by local friends and family for the good young man he has become.

Do you pay income taxes on the rent you charge your son? I don't want more income. As long as our son is saving his money instead of blowing it, I'm not about to have him start paying me rent.

That's enough, I think. I just wanted to share an update after one year, that's all. He had some bumps but is doing well now.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Newbie Trucker Dad Giving Advice - and Stories

I've never read so many figures from the parent of an adult that won't post here on TT.

And now you have, congrats.

I posted here before my son has no desire to join forums. There are probably hundreds of thousands of other truck drivers that don't post on forums. I am active in many types of forums, on the other hand and try to share information that I think is useful and to try to gather information. I try to be a person with constructive comments whenever I can and hope the figures I posted may be of use to someone thinking of getting started.

My wife does bookkeeping for our son and we also handle financial affairs for my parent's estate, my aunt's trust, my older brother's trust, and our own business affairs. We both have finance backgrounds so numbers are something we work with. Our son learned from both my dad and us the importance of "saving for a rainy day" and we're proud he is doing well.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Newbie Trucker Dad Giving Advice - and Stories

Sorry if you are hurt if I don't bother responding to some comments that are not worth it.

For those that may be interested, our son Michael (“Jay”) completed his first year of driving last week and is doing well. He had chosen on his own to start out with CR England and that was probably not a good choice but he had limited prior work experience since he had been a college student and that reduced his choices. CR England required new drivers to do team driving. His first two partners were bad trouble (one was fired and the second may have been also) but his third partner was great and they remain friends even though he switched jobs on Michael’s first day off and took the truck to start a solo driving regional position. Another bad choice for Michael was by taking the first alternative driving job CRE offered him a dedicated Dollar General fresh account. He did gain lots of experience in backing up. He had lots of delays in being allowed to unload and too many equipment problems. There was no guaranteed weekly pay for this job so breakdowns and long detentions often hurt his earnings. Long detentions seemed largely because of rapid growth by Dollar General which resulted in many new managers and staffing shortages (i.e., “sorry, I’m the only one here, you need to wait three hours until I have another employee coming in”). This makes it very tough when you are scheduled to make seven deliveries over a large area.

He has been driving for Marten Transport on a dedicated account for just over four months now and says he “loves it.” He originally reported to a regional manager but a DM was hired. She was new to the job and there were some delays in getting new dispatches but that has improved and he likes working with her very much. He drives mostly in California, Nevada, and Utah with some trips to Oregon and Washington. Some stops are drop and hook. Most deliveries are finished within three hours. One customer in Oregon had him unloaded in 20 minutes which was shocking and they said that was typical there. He wants to go back, lol. He earns 49 cpm plus 2 cpm premium pay if he meets all requirements which is nearly always the case. 17.5 cpm is paid as detention pay which seems higher than elsewhere. He almost always works 12 days and then has 2 days off. He started with a guaranteed weekly pay of $1175 but that increased to $1300 last week. This comes into play on the weeks he has days off. He did forget to turn in paperwork on time a couple of times and that disqualified him from receiving the minimum pay and that hurt his earnings since those were partial weeks without many miles. He gets paid detention pay and breakdown pay and is paid extra for working on major holidays. He’s learning and improving. He has a nice Kenworth T680 with APU and stays much more comfortable on SB breaks than when he worked at CRE. He installed a refrigerator and microwave and mostly eats on the truck.

Below is a summary of his first year’s earnings:

$718/week average for first 5 months at CR England (2020) $912/week average for next 3 months at CR England (2021) $1,240/week average for first 4 months at Marten (plus $3,500 sign-on bonus) $52,519 total for first year. Based on earnings for past four weeks and higher guaranteed weekly pay, he should make about $76,000 in his second year. He has saved/invested over 50% of his earnings thus far. We could charge him rent for the 4 days a month he is at home but have no need for that.

I have now been in direct contact with five members of this forum and appreciate your help in getting answers to Michael. Also, Michael has reached out directly to Scott and he appreciates your help. He's figuring things out on his own much better, thanks again.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Photos, oddball things

Our son's dog needed to see the vet so my wife and I drove over and had dinner in Reno, NV and met our son at a dirt lot after he left the Sparks Walmart DC. We took a bit of a nap and woke up to see four horses walking by the car. There are wild horses in the area. I gave my son a head's up to watch out for the horses next to Hwy 439 as he came our way, especially since was dark. He said he knew, he saw a dead horse next to the road a few days later. There are a lot of big new facilities built in the area and I imagine this happens routinely, unfortunately.

0221721001628504630.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Mom died tonight

So sorry for your loss, praying for you. Hope you are able to get back safely and take the time you need.