Profile For Harvey C.

Harvey C.'s Info

Harvey C.'s Bio

Raised on farm, drove small trucks hauling grain to elevators, worked in finance for 30 years, returned to my own farm in 1994. Our son has been driving since August 2020, with Marten Trasportation since March 2021 and loves it.

email: harveyc@gmail.com

Harvey C.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 days, 13 hours ago

Frequency of breaks (getting numb on long drives)

Harvey, perhaps Michael could find more people to kick him in the butt. It’s been scientifically proven that gettin kicked in the butt dramatically improves blood flow to the butt and to the brain. Just trying to be helpful.

He no longer allows me to do that and is much larger and stronger than me. I'll volunteer you to do that.

I always keep my wallet in my front left pocket. Michael always takes his out when he sits down here at home or in his truck yet I've never seen him be without it when he needed it, got his habit down.

When he first started driving he had upper back pain and his chiropractor focused mostly on posture correction (including exercises) that took care of that but he needs to take breaks more for both his and Ginger's sake.

Posted:  4 days, 18 hours ago

Frequency of breaks (getting numb on long drives)

I quit carrying my wallet in my back pocket about 40 years ago myself and Michael doesn't carry his in his back pocket and only in his front pocket when he is walking.

I should go to a chiropractor more often, mine made it too high tech to make an appointment. Around 1985 I had a back injury at work where I was barely able to even walk and saw a chiropractor under an emergency basis that afternoon with no help but he told me to come back at 7am the next morning and that did the trick, 90% of pain was gone instantly. My dad had a couple of falls in his 90s and I took him to a chiropractor after he suffered lack of mobility for a week or so each time and that made a believer out of my sister and uncle. Michael does see a chiropractor but not as often as he should, I suppose.

Posted:  4 days, 22 hours ago

Frequency of breaks (getting numb on long drives)

Thank you for all your replies, I'll share them with him when he gets home in a few days. Michael has a big bladder, drinks lots of water, don't know how he does it. Sometimes I think he must only stop when his dog starts crying.

Posted:  5 days, 13 hours ago

Frequency of breaks (getting numb on long drives)

I saw Old School post recently that he will typically take a break every few hours so I'd like to find out what others typically do.

Michael will have some loads that he has a lot of extra time but others when he must push to get loads delivered on time such as the last few days. He made two deliveries around Stockton, CA and Sacrameto, CA on Tuesday. He spent the night near Lodi, CA and drove about 475 miles to near Boise, ID with one 30 minute break. He drove a short ways to his customer early this morning after a 12 hour 42 minute break and after being unloaded he drove for 6 hours to Springville, UT with no stops until he got there to that customer.

Okay, to the point. Michael says sometimes his butt goes numb and wondered if he had a medical issue and asked me if I could ask the doctor about that (our family of three uses the same primary doctor). I told him he's going to have to take the time to ask the doctor about that himself since there may be some questions the doctor asks that I couldn't answer. I should add that Michael does not usually use cruise control just out of personal preference and I wondered if he changed that habit it would allow him more flexibility to shift his body around on those long drives. Please share your thoughts/experiences.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Reefer Question Need Little Help Please!!

Our son Michael has driven truck with a reefer for 26 months but some of that was making Dollar General deliveries which is not a typical type job and mostly serves as some sort of penance here on earth. :) He's been on a dedicated fleet pulling a reefer for 19 months and his record times for getting unloaded was something like 15 minutes at some Mexican food supply in Washington (they said it was no big deal, it is typical for them) and then a little over 7 hours but usually not more than 2 hours and some are drop and hook. He got a good sleep on that 7 hour unloading. His only gripe is if he's parked to sleep somewhere that's very hot his reefer is running a lot more and is more disturbing, though he seems to sleep through things a lot better than most people. He will sometimes try to time things so that he is parked at night when it's cooler or in the mountains where it's cooler.

One time Michael had a load of cheese where the papers said one thing for the required temperature but the guy at the shipper told him a lower temperature so he noted that down and followed his instructions.

I remember well that when BK was leaving Schneider he said he did not want to pull a reefer but he ended up going that route and is now glad he did.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Are there secondary Ways to make money while driving on the road

At one time I thought our son Michael should try his hand at doing wood carving since he likes to build things and seems to have a good eye for how things should look, etc. Since he's been driving a little over two years he hasn't done anything like that but I still think he might be good at this and find it interesting. About once a week he may have a delay between loads and sit at a truck stop for 24 hours so he would have the time to do something like this if he had the interest.

Locally, a famous guy named Ed Snyder who carved duck decoys had very good success. This article mentions him carving in his shop but it was pretty well known that he did a lot of carving while he worked for the state as a bridgetender. A bridgetender will often have long periods of not having much to do, just waiting for the next vessel that comes along that they need to open the bridge for. My former neighbor was friends with Ed and as a teenager carved some very good decoys himself. He told me that he had showed a decoy at some show and some foreign collector saw it and wanted to buy it and any others he had. He had given a couple as a gift to his mom and sister and begged them to give them back to him and he sold them for big money (I don't recall exactly but something like 3 for $5,000 around 1980) but never found the time to carve new ones to replace those gifts. This is something that could be fun relaxing hobby that would take some time to develop the talent to make good money but duck hunters are often wealthy people who are willing to pay good money for art items related to their hobby.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

The biggest issue I have with the truck driving profession (makes me sick)

It's what DuPont called "Swamp Holly Orange". But I've seen a couple of orange trucks with yellow labels.

I'm colorblind. It's not a yellow label?!?

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

I-80 in CA EB/WB CLOSED due to Fire

A significant amount of rain has fallen over the burn area over the past two days. Air quality is greatly improved and most of the evacuation orders have been cancelled We got only a tiny amount of rain at our farm but many areas got very good amounts and this is much earlier than normal so this is a great blessing. We had extremely hot weather less than two weeks ago and now cool wet weather, a greater change than I recall ever seeing. Mostly mild to moderate temperatures in the forecast. The only problems I saw reported today were some mudslides in burn areas but nothing affecting I-80.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

The biggest issue I have with the truck driving profession (makes me sick)

I was just wondering about the history behind this as well the other day. It didn't make me sick but to help you get over it I just did some searching and the result I found first was from 2004:

Yellow Roadway Corp. traces its origins to 1924 when A.J. Harrell, an Oklahoma City entrepreneur, founded a bus and taxi company and named it Yellow Cab Transit Co. In 1926, he shortened the name to Yellow Transit Co.

In 1929, AJ was concerned about road safety, so he commissioned the E.I. DuPont Co. to determine the color that would be most visible on the tractors from the greatest distance on the nation’s highways. DuPont’s research found the color Swamp Holly Orange. We still use this color on Yellow trucks today.

The fact that Yellow Transportation has an orange logo.

This whole industry is founded on LIES

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Any true OTR companies??

Yes, that makes sense. Michael often gets paid a larger flat fee for some jobs, maybe $100 for hostling for a couple of hours.

In the example I gave, he once sat at a shipper for 7 hours to get loaded and he slept most of that and got paid (I believe) $200 detention for that. As I understand in a Marten newsletter, Marten charges the shipper a penalty for their tardiness and they share that with the driver. It probably varies from shipper to shipper.

Get your rest, I know you need and deserve it. Be well.

Harvey - keep in mind I’m really tired/just got back from 5 weeks out so I’m answering your post best I can, and then seriously I gotta put the phone down for the night lol (not you just really tired)

We get $25 per hour flat for general duties - hostling, cleaning of trailers (blowout or waiting for washout) any general labor we are asked to do that takes away from our ability to turn miles.

Detention pay - yes $25.00 per hour AFTER the 1 hour grace period. I am not sure about the overnight thing you mentioned - as in paid detention to break overnight? I had to overnight at a shipper once because the load wasn’t ready (drop and hook) and pocketed $180.00, outside of that I have never been paid detention while breaking at a shipper or receiver. More input may be needed on that one.

As an OTR driver, I not only move the freight lanes but also get pulled in from time to time to help out any dedicated accounts that are behind - WALMART store deliveries, Michaels Craft Store deliveries, the most common ones I get are Reesers to Reesers or Reesers to Walmart or some other grocery reciever. Such as this load I had to get me home today. I woke up at 1015 to pickup by 0115 at Michaels Crafts DC for a 0330 delivery in Chehalis WA the onward to Longview WA arriving at 0545. Then DH empty back to my home terminal . For that one I made a total of $230 in local pay and detention. Does that make sense?

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Pattern Recognition

I found this an interesting read and can relate to most of the things commented on.

One thing that was not mentioned above and I would imagine is a pattern many people here that drive long stretches of interstates recognize, is the oil patches in the freeway right after a dip or hump in the pavement. Big oil patch means big bump. Most vehicles drip some oil and those drips get shook loose more often when there are bumps in the road. I've always wondered if these were mostly from oil pans or where. Do not try taking a sip of hot coffee is you see the oil patch just ahead. Definitely harder to recognize this pattern when driving at night.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Any true OTR companies??

Moe, I'm just curious if you get paid flat fees for some jobs like Michael does. If he's waiting for a load they may have him do some hostling and he'll get paid a flat amount for that or help out another fleet and haul a load that has multiple stops and get paid for extra stops. I don't think he's ever driven somewhere for free (my wife drove for free once just to make things simple since they wanted him to go rent a car and retrieve a truck but she just drove him there instead since we would have had to drive him to a car rental place anyways). I just wonder if some of this is more dependent upon the manager a driver has or the company's culture. I mentioned once that Michael got paid for detention where he just slept and an experienced driver here doubted that but it happens and someone else reported they got the same at their company. Michael has had some slow weeks, waiting for loads, but had a lot of miles last week and did very well.

Check Marten Transport

So I drove from Kansas City northwest corner down to Niagra bottling south of Kansas City. 24 miles and because they have the same zip code I didn’t receive any pay for that. It’s working for free and as a company driver that’s bull crap.

Also thanks for the suggestion. I really didn’t want to turn this into a b@&ch fest thread lol I just was looking for other professional driver opinions.

Tractor Man on here went to Danny Herman for dry van. He usually has longer loads and shorter ones.

Check them out.

The economy is changing though. My company slowed down on hiring and has been shifting trucks out of certain areas for better freight.

I don't understand your comment that you are getting paid for dead head though.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Railroad Strike Looming

Ryan's comment of "Corporate greed is driving it into the ground." sounded very general in nature and there had been no discussion of sick leave in this thread so I think Steve's response is quite understandable. There is a tendency to blame many general problems on "greed" while the motivation to maximize profits is usually best attained with a good balance of marketing, cost controls, and good employee relations.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Are Authorities held responsible if improper maintenance of roadside greenery contributes to an accident?

What is typical for something such as this is your employer's insurance company would immediately get their in-house counsel involved. It's not something for an employee to get involved in trying to deal with or arranging for counsel for your employer. If this is a small town, they probably have very limited legal expertise in-house and the insurance company should be able to clear things up quickly. If they had proper insurance coverage, the company's liability should be limited. Large trucking companies often self-insure for most legal problems with coverage for catastrophic events that would cause them significant financial problems. I can't imagine any small companies trying something like this.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

I-80 in CA EB/WB CLOSED due to Fire

Based on PurpleAir now, it looks like by the time you get to Elko it's only moderately bad (AQI of 96, problem for sensitive groups) and by the time you get to West Wendover air quality is good. Michael stops all along there frequently but this time he is head back from SoCal via 15 and in Bunkerville for the night. Hope you get to a good spot yourself. We're fortunate here in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta as those winds that are blowing all the smoke back east are bring us nice air and cooler temperatures. Crazy, last week we had one da of 118.9F (highest I know of here) and nighttime lows of about 70F and this morning we were down to 58F. I'm hoping this cooler weather helps the firefighters get control of the Mosquito fire.

I'm not a big Twitter user but have found it is quite useful for getting updated information on events like this. (TT says link is invalid so copy/paste) https://twitter.com/search?q=mosquito%20fire&src=typeahead_click

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Finally got the knees worked on.

Wow, that sounds amazing. Hope you don't cause more injury to yourself with the absence of any pain. No long runs, okay? :)

Posted:  3 weeks ago

I-80 in CA EB/WB CLOSED due to Fire

The winds that picked up yesterday made it much worse. Michael passed through westbound Sunday afternoon and had checked with me if I had heard any updates but the road was still fine but I told him air quality was very bad so he made sure to take his break before heading over Donner.

Michael often parks at Gold Run where the air quality was in the 700s per PurpleAir, looks a bit better right now because of the gusty winds. PurpleAir

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Hometime woes

Moe, I had read this already and didn't think I was qualified to answer but Anne is asking so...

Michael has only not gotten off on time when he offered to run an extra day to help out with a situation and then his manager got in trouble for running him over 12 days. He's never declined a load, BTW.

It does seem that weekend or afterhours dispatchers sometimes give some bad information or just don't have answers for Michael so he just waits until he can talk to his manager. Hopefully, you've been able to relax and get some sleep and get things worked out with your manager tomorrow.

There is a Facebook group for Marten drivers that might help with something specific like this to the company but I don't think Michael has joined it yet (need to confirm eligibility by giving your driver number).

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

30, 000 pounds of bananas

Michael recovered a 40,000 pound load of bananas last year (a bit of a circus chain of events) and he had not heard about the song. When I searched for it I found that the family was upset that Chapin made a song about the tragic event.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Trucking Company Requires Driver to Drop Truck Off At Terminal

Michael drives a dedicated account for Marten, working 12 on and 2 off and has parked his truck at home during home time ever since he started in March 2021. He had to take pictures of where it would be parked, etc. and send them to his manager at the time (who was the regional manager). They wanted to make sure it was a secure location. I'm only guessing it may be different for day cab drivers as I've been to the local terminal 2 or 3 times and saw a lot more day cabs there than sleepers.