Profile For Harvey C.

Harvey C.'s Info

1 month, 3 weeks ago

Harvey C.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Harvey C.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  11 hours, 51 minutes ago

Hey y’all it’s jammer

In case some of you are tired of tough dispatchers, poor detention pay, etc. you might want to check out this job posting and interviews.

Director of Operations

Posted:  1 day, 6 hours ago

Blood Pressure and DOT Physical

I would just like to share my relatively short term experience with blood pressure. I'm 63 and my numbers have been creeping up and sometimes having headaches and started taking my blood pressure at home daily. I expressed concerns about it to my doctor, numbers were sometimes such as 155/95, etc. and he put me on a medication. First once a day then twice a day after I sent him my daily numbers. I'm still typically running 125-145 over 80-95. I've tried to cut back on caffeine a bit as he had suggested. I went for a check-up on Thursday and he seemed very satisfied with my numbers but made a comment "you work outside a lot, make sure you stay hydrated." I told him that I know I don't drink enough water, just don't take the time to carry it around with me. This afternoon I've had 4 glasses of water and my numbers are some of the best I've seen in a while, 115/77 a few minutes ago. This may be obvious to some but easy to overlook and you may want to give it a try. My doctor had his nurse check out my Omron blood pressure machine (I got one that is all contained in the cuff and runs solely on batteries) and it is accurate enough and try to check it every day and download it to my phone (I use Samsung health app instead of Omron app as people on Amazon talked bad about the Omron app). Good luck.

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

Tractor washing at home - tips?

Thank you for all the feedback, everyone.

Laura, with two days off our son has enough time. He doesn't have friends locally, no girlfriend, etc. and it seems that he is pushing hard on the road most of the time to try to squeeze in a truck wash. There is a Blue Beacon not far from our home that he passes by on his way home but he's more interested in getting home and just showering and resting.

I'll tell him to try Dawn but also get some Zep for him if he thinks it needs something stronger. He needs a longer brush than I have now but will look for something softer. I did see a review of one that someone complained scratched their paint and will filter reviews for that sort of feedback.

Robert, I am curious how you are able to wax a truck that is so tall. Seems you'd need scaffolding. I do have a hydraulic lift but don't think it would be very helpful since the basket is pretty small and only made for standing up.

Posted:  6 days, 3 hours ago

Tractor washing at home - tips?

Forgot photo

0220293001620104378.jpg

Posted:  6 days, 3 hours ago

Tractor washing at home - tips?

My son has been driving for Marten Transport for a month now and enjoying it. Much better than the prior seven months at CRE. Better communication, better trips, better pay, detention pay, breakdown pay, etc. He is driving a dedicated regional route, 12 days on and 2 days off. He came home yesterday and will go back out tomorrow. He used an old brush I had around for washing RVs to wash down his truck today. Took lots of scrubbing to get off bugs, etc. and there are lots of choices for different products. I also have a pressure washer, not sure if that would be of any help. I told my son I'd ask here to see if anyone here had tips on what works well for you. Foam sprayer? Zep Professional Truck and Trailer wash? (alkaline and strips wax but reviews look good) Brush with flow through water ability or not?

(As I mentioned previously, for reasons I don't know, my son doesn't participate in forums, Facebook, etc. so I am posting for him. )

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

Does anyone know of a programable GPS unit??? I have been searching for one for a few years now to no avail. I would like to plan my trips out of the map and manually enter it into the GPS as a backup but cant seem to find any with that option. I traveled by map long before GPS units came out and enjoy planning my route from paper.

Obviously I don't need a GPS to get somewhere but they are nice for alerting you of upcoming exits and turns

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but look at this Garmin unit and search "waypoints" in the Amazon questions. https://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-Navigator-Touchscreen-Display-Guidance/dp/B0884WMBW4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=garmin+truck+gps&qid=1618949966&sr=8-3

One Amazon customer states the unit can store up to 1,000 waypoints. My son hasn't used his in this manner but I've used a Garmin for a 4 wheeler before for entering locations that didn't have addresses.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

FMCSA HOS Sample Logs and Custom Testing of split SB, etc.

Our son has used a 7/3 split twice in the past two weeks but it can get confusing sometimes so using the link above can be useful for him to confirm compliance. I saw Kearsey's 8/2 video. There aren't many done after the new rules last September. Looking forward to the update here. It seems that there might be an opportunity for someone to create an app for driver trip planning (I mean for drivers, not software for companies). The FMCSA link works well but would be better if one could go in and edit an entry instead of having to delete it.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

FMCSA HOS Sample Logs and Custom Testing of split SB, etc.

I searched and did not see this FMCSA posted here previously. There is one YouTube video where the presenter showed a sample log from this page but even he had no recollection of where he got it from. The split SB can get confusing and I thought this may be useful for drivers.

FMCSA HOS Logs

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Photos, oddball things

Video, not a photo, but definitely oddball. Who's had to clean fish from their windshield?

https://fb.watch/4WN9uZMSC9/ (sorry, can't get hyperlink for thus URL to work)

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

So How Is Your Day Going?

Not good, have a wisdom tooth pushing into the one in front. Saw a dentist Tuesday he said see oral surgeon and offered me Codeine for the pain but I turned it down at the time it didn't hurt too bad. Plus I don't want to use Codeine not even factoring in all the DOT and Company policy problems it will cause.

Fast forward to today at 3 PM I was in incredible pain oral surgeon agrees to move consult to Friday. Can't sleep all night ask my terminal to put me on shuttles since it's only 30 miles each way and will keep me up, OTC drugs are only lasting like 40 minutes then the incredible pain returns so I said I have to go home. Now I have to call in the AM when bosses are there and see what they want me to do. My dentist doesn't open to 11 I'm hoping for some stronger Ibuprofen prescription until the surgery.

At times the pain is so bad the right side of my face goes numb.

Bob, you don't need a prescription for a stronger ibuprofen. It's usually cheaper to just use OTC. 800mg every 8 hours is fine (4 tablets of OTC). Don't skip doses as this is a therapeutic dose that reduces inflammation. At the same time, you can take Tylenol as well. I'm not a doctor but this is exactly what my doctor told me to do for a badly bruised tailbone. I took the Tylenol at the same time as I took ibuprofen but my doctor said I could also try staggering it in between my ibuprofen doses. Good luck!

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

I've also done a few and its amazing how much space and time it takes to complete the maneuver. All the very bad things that can happen far outweigh the couple benefits to doing one. If I didn't do anything like get a ticket, cause an accident (or end up on YT Bonehead Truckers!) I definitely would NOT volunteer information. Its similiar to the reason why we tell people on their applications if it asks about tickets in the last 3 years DON'T bring up something from 4 years ago. I understand why he called himself in, however if you're calling yourself in about everything you'll make it appear to be a far worse driver than you actually are.

Great point, I'll pass along that advice.

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

Dave, thanks, I guess. Jay knows that if there is a safety violation he may get a call from safety so he thought taking the initiative to explain the what and why would help. Okay, maybe I'll suggest DM for something like that in the future.

As you have probably noticed, there are a lot more truck drivers on the road than members here at TT. Forums are not for everybody and it doesn't take a forum to make a man. My son also avoids Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I run my own business and have times where my work load are very extreme and other times not so much so I try to help out with questions if I can since I'm familiar with forums. We don't baby our son, you have no idea how I father him My dad was pretty tough on me but certainly was a loving dad (he had a rough life behind horses and tractors way before cabs) but I try to be a bit softer but still get push-back from my wife that I'm too tough on him. Helping is not babying.

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

Thing is Harvey this u-turn scenario has quite a few holes. As do some of you previous posts.

No, your son should not of made a u-turn. A u-turn should be absolute last case scenario. I would never recommend a rookie driver attempt one. Yes I have done a few. But that had already been driving for a year probably and was pulling a 48 foot trailer. And there wasn’t any reason to contact safety either.

Sorry I hurt your feelings Harvey. Cheers.

You didn't hurt my feelings but I get frustrated by the lack of courtesy shown by some members. In the end, I care much more about being judged by God more than people, especially those that don't know me.

What exactly don't you understand of what I said that you identify as "holes"? I tried to explain exactly what happened in detail. Maybe a step by step list would have been clearer instead of writing in paragraph format.

Jay is obviously still a rookie after 8 months of driving. I am guessing he has a bit more experience than some (not all or even necessarily most) drivers at 8 months since he spent 4 months of that doing Dollar General fresh deliveries with lots of city and parking lot driving (2-7 stops per day). Hopefully, this will be his last U-turn for a long time.

G-town suggested he talk to his DM about it. Do you suggest not talking to anyone? He figured it was better to contact them before they contacted him. He can still document the location with more photos, if needed, but the situation can be completely different in a matter of days (stretch undergoing construction and that lane closure is about a half mile long).

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

Another great feature of this forum is you can go back to previous comments made. Below is a comment you made from a previous post.

“Two experienced members from this forum have told me privately that his new employer is a fantastic company.”

Forgetting what all you are lying about Harvey?

This should not be too difficult to understand but let me explain. They did not contact me, I contacted them and they replied.

Can you explain how any of your comments to me fit into this mission statement of TT? I refrain from making any rude comments despite your comments that are neither friendly or helpful.

0530491001617812402.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

I just remembered something Harvey. In your post before this thread you said that “multiple” members of this forum messaged you privately and told you your son chose a great company to work for you. Even though there is no such feature here as pm. Nor have you ever mentioned a company. Banks called you out on it but you never responded.

But happy trolling “Harvey”

I am not a troll. I am not going to name the company my son works for, it doesn't matter in regards to the question I asked (have you ever made a U-turn even though it's prohibited?". I did not say that other members had "messaged me" but that I had contacted other members of the forum. It's not rocket science but there are ways to find contact information for some members. You could find contact information for me if you did a little bit of searching.

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

...and encourage Jay to join the forum. That’s possibly the best thing you can do for him.

Sorry, I messed up when I was fixing my last reply (had it typed within the quote but only got part of it moved to where it belonged). I've done that a few times. Maybe someday it will happen.

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

Look Harvey... I’ve read all of your posts. I’m not convinced...but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Jay needs to develop a relationship with his driver leader, the individual he reports to. That is the person he needs to communicate directly with especially if he is concerned with any policy violation.

If Jay is intent on becoming a successful driver, encourage him to join the forum and handle his business with us directly. That’s my suggestion.

I have encouraged him to take a look at this forum but for reasons I don't understand, he seems uneasy with this sort of information format. He likes talking to other drivers in person and watching YT videos.

I'll suggest he talk to his DM about this and maybe show photos or maybe they'll just look at video footage from the truck. Thanks

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

Jay said he was calling safety to explain, I don't know exactly what extension he dialed. But he left a voice mail on the weekend explaining what happened.

He did not make an illegal U-turn. But it was against company policy. The street he was turning from was 4 lanes and headed to a railway yard apparently. Company route had him turning left would would have been through barricades. He had to drive about five miles around to come from the direction I had come on as directed by Google maps. If you can, send me an email and I'll show you a map. This was his first time to this yard so he thought following the company route was the safe thing to do.

I was a bit shocked when I saw the U-turn but it looked very smooth and safe with lots of clearance. Turning around in DG parking lots surely helped.

I know you're an upstanding driver with a ton of experience but you have no basis for questioning my honesty which is beyond reproach.

Read it again, maybe the road construction is difficult to understand, but there are no "holes" in the story.

Jay went to orientation and then did routes and parked at his yard 45 minutes from our home. I picked him up. Since he flew, his vehicle was at home.

More to the point, if your company's policy is "no u-turns", do you every find you must make one?

I read it a half dozen times. The call to safety, no reply in three days? His call goes to his driver leader, or his direct report, not safety. I just think there is a bit of BS in every one of your posts Harvey.

The answer? I’ve never had to make an illegal u-turn. And won’t.

Since I was not there with Jay...to observe the situation, and no idea who the company is... I can’t really answer your question.

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

Posted:  1 month ago

Stoopid U-turn of the day

Just a question and hope you guys are not too hard on me.

Do you ever make a U-turn even if prohibited?

My son "Jay" started driving for a new company last week. Flew out of state for orientation and then given trips further north from there and 1,300 miles until he got to his home base yard. He followed the company route on Qualcomm. I was meeting him at the yard because we had taken him to the airport. I used Google maps to get there and took me on a different road than Qualcomm. I was unsure of the entrance and drove on past the driveway and saw him straight ahead of me on the right at a big intersection with no other vehicles within a half mile. Problem: big road construction and the road I was on had the other lane blocked off so he could not make a left turn. He was at a dead end. He had told me that U-turns were prohibited and there before my eyes I saw him make a U-turn. He had a 53' refer and he had huge clearance. Had to make a detour of several miles to come back around the direction I had originally come from. Some other driver in the yard that makes local trips mentioned some other spot that it's possible to turn-around but he only knows that because of driving there every day. When going back a couple of days later, the road closure was much different, no map is going to prepare a driver for the current conditions. The only way to leave the yard at this moment is to turn right even though that is supposedly going against traffic (or take several back-ups to make a left turn in what should be the on-coming traffic lane).

While I was driving him home from the yard he called the safety department and left a message about what happened and said he had no choice. That was three days ago and he hasn't heard back.

These conditions are changing too quickly for dispatch to know what route to give drivers unless other drivers explain things to them daily.