Profile For RJ

RJ's Info

Rookie Solo Driver

1 month, 1 week ago

RJ's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month ago

Differences in driving Dry Van/Reefer vs Flatbed?

Hello everyone, This is my second posting on this forum, and I would like some advice/information on the differences between driving & backing a 53ft trailer vs a 48 ft spread axle with a dump valve.

I have some experience driving / backing a 53ft from CDL school, but no real world experience (i went on the road with it 3 times, and it was in a manual truck)

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

At this point, focus on moving forward. Send applications everywhere and get everything squared away with TMC.

Going into your next endeavor being overly cautious. People believe these companies will hire anybody with a pulse and they learn the hard way that it isn't true.

Never think, you have to know. What I mean is if you find yourself saying "I think I can I get in there" stop and GOAL so that you know know you can get in there.

Take advantage of your experiences and learn from them. Don't chalk it to "things happen". They do happen, but a lot of times it's a consequence of our own actions. Learn what you could've done differently and apply it in the future. There's a reason companies pay for experience.

Very much appreciate the reply. Definitely going to take everyones advice and go from there. I'll update on when/if another company is willing to hire me. Thank you.

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

Before I got my tickets straightened out, I had a speeding tickets saga that I kept running into. Western Express was more than willing to hire me. Who cares about their reputation online, if you get the job with them, you make your own destiny. Id highly recommend pursuing it. As it was, a bunch of mine ended up getting dropped and my record cleaned up and I was able to get hired by Knight, but Western Express certainly has my gratitude for taking a chance on me when others wouldnt or couldnt.

Also, as you go about looking for other companies, I would look into the citation. Years ago, I high-sided my motorcycle, I hit a patch of oil or hydraulic fluid at high speed during hard braking. While I was in the ambulance, the police sited me for reckless driving, its their default in single motorcycle collisions as they assume the rider to be at fault. I went to court, armed with photos of the oil on scene, and on my tire and they dropped it. Not saying thats the case in yours, but one never knows.

Hey, I don't worry about online reputation. You're not the first person to suggest Western, so I'm gonna give them a look. I appreciate the feedback, and I'm hoping it works out.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

If for some reason you can't get A-class work -- try looking at B-class companies. They may be willing to overlook more flaws than an A-class company might while you get some time between you and your accidents. I did that after picking up a careless driving ticket in 2016, drove a trash truck for almost two years after Knight let me go for that ticket. (I had acquired my CDL through a private school so they had no skin in my game.)

This may not be applicable without that certificate, so if it isn't disregard this, but it might work out for you.

Best of luck.

I was considering some other options, a few buddies have worked at Class B companies that they can get me on with, but most still require OTR experience.

I at first attended a private CDL school, but I couldnt get my CDL through them for at minimum 2ish months because covid. So, the recruiter from TMC called me and I got my CDL through them.. I appreciate the response. I've been looking at Indeed and Ziprecruiter the last few days.

It's definitely not a perfect solution -- whenever you go back A-class if this is the route you go, you'll have to go through the required training period with your company, but it keeps your CDL fresh and (at least this is how I found it) a lower stress, lower risk place to learn the decision process necessary to avoid stuff like being run off the road by other semis -- not laying any blame on you, just the learning curve is really steep and B-class softens it a little bit.

I appreciate any info. For the incident, i was in a rental car and the semi passed in the right lane, and wasn't going the speed limit. Don't worry, i take nothing personal. I messed up, and have accepted it. Everything happens for a reason. Hopefully, some company will look past this and give me a chance.

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

Have you tried Western Express? They might give you a shot.

THEY ARE ACTUALLY ON OUR 'ONE AND DONE' list . . . . Brett's got something worked out there!!!

RJ will STILL need that buck sixty certificate; as they are no longer training since the tornado, sadly.

~ Anne ~

ps: AGAIN, this:

Or, upon receipt of that coveted 160 certificate; this:

Apply For Truck Driving Jobs

Hey Anne, Thank you so much for the info. I just got a text from CRST and applied to them. I'm going to call the private CDL school i went to tomorrow, hopefully i cal get the certificate from them. We'll see.

RJ,

Dutch Maid Logistics is a 2nd chance company, here in Willard, Ohio. Our own member Optical (the tool box guy, now ..haha!) just started driving for them, after their training. Search out his threads!

Re: the company itself, I'm sure you've done your research, per your above post. My other half interacts with them on a regular, as one of his larger customers is right up the road from their facility. He's got nothing but good to say; medium sized company, pulling reefers; good equipment.

Wish you the best; hope this all works out for ya!

Any way you could just pay off TMC with a loan from a credit union, or something, and get that certificate, however? Might be a quicker solution, if you could.

My thoughts, only.

Best wishes~

~ Anne ~

Hello Anne, thank you, I looked them up and started the application. Does Optical still work for them , if you know? I'm about to look him up but am new to the forum. I was thinking about taking out a loan, incase I had to, just to not have any issues with TMC.

Howdy, RJ;

To answer your question, yes he does; here's his upgrade thread: Optical's Upgrade.

Also have a friend named Luc (from another forum) I directed to Dutch Maid; he's still there as well, after 2 years.

PAM is ALSO, right there, in Willard. A significant (sadly, late) mentor in my life worked for Decker for MANY years, which WAS under the PAM umbrella in the day; that's also a possibility, for you! He was dedicated, local/regional home daily (in Ohio, though) delivering parts for MTD (mowers.) You can apply for them on that one & done app I sent you.

(I'd STILL fill out the 'universal' app's in my post above, were I you.)

About the 'loan' to pay off TMC, I just don't see 'how' it could hurt, IF you have the ability to do so. Just pay the credit union instead of them, and even if you aren't a member of one, it's EASY to get into. They have the best, most amenable, loans . . . and it just BOOSTS your credit score, all the quicker. (That's my older age/mommy style talking, haha!)

Wish you well, keep us in the loop, of course!

~ Anne ~

Hello Anne, I really appreciate the information. I have passed a few Decker trucks and looked at them. Same for PAM, i've seen their rigs on a few occasions. I'm still going to contact other companies and submit applications, its better to try and get told no, then not even attempt it.

I was looking at going through my bank(Navy Fed) to pay TMC back, but i'll be talking to the gentleman that handles the financial issues tomorrow.

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

RJ, I started my trucking career at Western Express. I did very well there, and I have gone on to have a very successful trucking career. They would hire me back in a heart beat. All those nasty reviews you read about them are written by drivers who couldn't handle the job. Trucking is trucking. It has issues. Most people don't realize how much of their own issues they cause out here. You seem to have a great attitude. You realize you caused some problems and you got let go. I don't see you screeching about how unfairly TMC treated you. Western Express isn't perfect, but by golly when they offered me a job back when nobody else would, I considered them a great company. Maybe you will have the same experience.

Thank you, I've been looking at basically every company out there. I know that the reviews may/may not be my experience. I'm not focused on which company is the "best"... any company that offers me a job, no matter who, i'm going to accept. I just hope it's an OTR company, because i want to go out west. I am not trying to bash TMC, they were an awesome company from the experience I had with them. It was my fault completely that they let me go.

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

Have you tried Western Express? They might give you a shot.

I have started their application. I'm not concerned about a companies reputation. I know every company has issues, but any company that will give me a job, i'll take.

RJ,

Wish you the best; hope this all works out for ya!

My thoughts, only.

Best wishes~

~ Anne ~

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

RJ, If I were in your situation I would fill out as many applications as possible. Go for the big carriers first. Those who are hiring rookie drivers are going to be your best chance. Don't worry about their online reputations. 99% of that garbage is just that - garbage. You need to get behind the wheel as quickly as possible and get yourself a year in somewhere. You really need that training certificate from TMC. That has got to be something you focus on getting accomplished. I can tell you that this is going to be a real uphill battle. I am hoping somebody will give you a shot. Try CFI. Be upfront and honest with them and explain to them how you have learned from your mistakes, and you just need somebody to take a chance on you. Assure them that you have got the maturity and commitment to make a go of it.

Whoever gives you a shot is doing you a huge favor. You will owe them some big time loyalty. Stay for a full year and prove to them and yourself that you are capable of handling the responsibilities of this career. Once you have gotten a year of safe driving in you are good. You won't need a training certificate at that point and a lot of doors will open up to you.

Safety is a huge factor in your success at this. Make it a priority. Remember these three things...

• Get hired at first company willing to take you.
  • Don't hit anything.
  • Stay for one full year.

That's the program for you. Get on it quick - don't delay. That will set you up for a trucking career.

I've applied to a few mega carriers, Swift said to get 6 months with another carrier. I applied to CFI, since i watch Riding with Dave on Youtube, but the lady i spoke with said they can't do anything unless I have the certificate of completing an approved CDL school. TMC should be calling me tomorrow to give me more information about that. The only thing is that I went through TMC to get my CDL. Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. I'm hoping everything works out. I really want to be a driver.

Best of luck.

@Banks,

Unfortunatley, that's what I expected. I applied to CFI and they called me within like 20 minutes, I just have to figure out getting a certificate of completion. They said without documentation of me completing a CDL course, they can't do anything with me.. so for them I have to figure that out.

Since you bring up Dutch Maid, are they a good company to work for ? I haven't heard of them, but just looked them up, Thank you for the responses and advice, I appreciate it.

Packrat answered your certificate of completion question. As for whether or not a company is good to work for, that's subjective. I can't answer that, but at this point that should be the least of your worries. You have very few options and TMC is going to want their money.

Second chance companies are that for a reason. They take more of a risk and in return they pay you less.

You need to change some habits. First, always GOAL. Second, a truck shouldn't be able to run you off the road. If it's snowing stay to the right. Somebody tries to pass you slow down and let them pass completely. As for the accident in your POV, it sounds like negligence. You drifted out of your lane in an area you're probably familiar with. No excuse for that.

If somebody is willing to give you a chance take it and worry about "a good company to work for" later.

Thank you for the information, i figured that'd be the case in terms of limited options, but i figured i'd at least ask if anyone had more knowledge than i do.

For the truck running me off the road, i passed a car & the semi passed me in the right lane, easily doing 70-75. i was doing 5 under given that the left lane was the only one the snowplows had cleared. For the accident in my car, I had only been up that route 2x and it was a 2 lane road, with no shoulder and it was raining. So, even if i slammed on the brakes, the ground was all mud, so it wouldn't have done much.. I'm absolutely not excusing anything that has happened, or blaming TMC for deciding to terminate me, just giving more insight. *the only accident on my MVR is the one that happened over the weekend, that I was given a summons for.

I just figured this would be a good option to get more information on possible companies that might look at me. I called Swift and they said to get 6 months with another company before they hire me. So, should I still look at OTR companies or should I look at another career path, given the current situation.

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

You will never get a certificate of completion from a company until the tuition is paid for.

I would also wager that before this Friday, a debt collection company will be handling this for TMC.

I'll be most likely talking to them about that tomorrow. Thank you for the response, i appreciate it.

@Banks,

@Banks

I'm thinking it is because after I got my CDL, i was run off the road by a semi in a snowstorm, and there was an accident at a truck stop with my first trainer. So, i think it was a 3 strikes kind of thing...

Hello Anne,

I was given a summons for failing to maintain my lane. But, no other vehicles / people involved.

I still have my Class A, and i was looking at going through another CDL school incase no company will take me without OTR experience..

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

The trooper gave me a summons for failing to maintain my lane. I have not paid off my training with TMC, the gentleman wasn't in the office, so i think he'll call me sometime later this week. I was still in training, i was on week 4 of 5.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Terminated during training, no verifiable OTR experience. Any company advice?

Hello, I was with TMC and got my CDL through their training program. I had an accident over the weekend in my personal vehicle, and they decided to terminate my employment, which i understand. I'm still hoping to be an OTR truck driver, does anyone know companies that will hire people in this situation. Swift said to get 6 months OTR with another company. I still have a valid Class A CDL.