Profile For Mountain Matt

Mountain Matt's Info

Sioux Falls, SD

Rookie Solo Driver

Mountain Matt On The Web

1 year, 8 months ago

Mountain Matt's Bio

I was a librarian for 17 years before I started company-sponsored training in December 2021. As of August 2022, I'm working for a tanker company and learning a lot. I live in the truck and love the adventure and challenge!

matt2020@hey.com

Mountain Matt's Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

My New Job

Thanks, everybody. I started training last December and went solo in March. So yeah, sooner than planned, but like I said, I had kept in touch with the, and the opportunity came up.

I either get weekly hometime with this job or an extra $200 for the week for staying out. My daughter just started college, so I was able to pop by to help her move in, which was a perk.

Just unloaded 6,000 gallons of canola oil. I learn more and gain more confidence with each unload. I'm enjoying the physical aspect of the j9b as well, wrasslin' hoses.

I appreciate the warnings of being careful of pressure in the tank. I try to be very mindful of that, as it was emphasized in my training too.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

My New Job

I haven't been on here in a bit, as things have been busy. I'd been keeping in touch with a tanker trucking company I'd had my eye on even before I went into trucking. They reached out to me over a month ago and offered to bring me onboard. I gave two+ weeks notice at my other job, finished a week of orientation and training ("tank school"), and then spent a week doing local runs with a trainer. I just finished my first week solo.

I love the culture of this company so far and the additional learning/challenge of operating tankers (both the driving and the pumping/airing off the tanks). They also have an hourly pay structure that kicks in whether you're driving, loading, unloading, getting a washout, etc. That pay structure just sits better with me psychologically.

I'm humbled and glad for the opportunities that have opened up for me since I started trucking. My stress is much less than it was before I made the career change; I love the challenge, adventure, and travel; and I'm already making more money than I did in my previous career, despite 17 years' of experience.

Anyone need 6,000 gallons of kosher-grade canola oil? ;-)

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Truckers struck with COVID-19

I reported that I was too sick to drive for a few days and even mentioned my symptoms. My company never used the "C-word" with me, nor did I mention it. Don't Ask, Don't Tell...remember that one?

Once I felt able to safely drive again, I got out on a load and just tried to keep my distance from people, minimize going into buildings, and wore my mask. I was glad to be working again!

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Pictures, or it didn't happen

We've texted regularly during his training, but Benjamin A and I finally got a chance to meet today at Wilson HQ. It was great to talk shop for a while, and Ben, you have a great attitude and are killing it out there! Just 12,000 more miles to go for you...

0750109001656194613.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucks stop help

Haha, fair point, Turtle!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucks stop help

Bill,

I'll have to figure out what your truck looks like, as you've got good eyes on me, haha! Where did you see me this time?

Maybe next time we can grab that bite?

Something different and puzzling

Anne,

Sorry about your wifi. My inverter keeps giving off a Low Voltage Disconnect code, even though my battery voltage appears fine. None of Road Assist's ideas or my own research helped. So I'll wait til I'm thru the terminal next week.

In the meantime, no TV, coffee pot, egg maker, or George Foreman grill...

Why trucking ?

"set out into the gorgeous": What a beautiful turn of phrase, Anne!

Tough industry

I’ve been solo for 3 months. I'm already making 80% of what I made in my previous job, which required a grad degree and supervising 4 people. I got my training paid for and I am accumulating needed experience. Down the line, I can stay here, or I should have options open to me.

Was everything perfect with my training and company? Certainly not. But it's all been good and done what I needed. I focus on the many good aspects of my company that I like and on what I enjoy in this job every day. I feel like I'm living life rather than waiting in the cubicle for quitting time. And I'm learning more every day. I'm glad to have found a place in this industry.

Something different and puzzling

Anne,

Back at it! I was Down with the Sickness, but no more.

Maybe I'll get to that movie now that my inverter died and my DVR/TV no longer work... shocked.png

Why trucking ?

Just this morning, in Kentucky

0761546001655504826.jpg

Something different and puzzling

Hey Laura,

Yeah, I try to consolidate fueling stops as much as possible, so I'll top off the reefer, knowing I have to drop it full. Like now, for instance, I'm running a dry load, but I topped off the reefer, knowing I'll need to eventually. So I end up doing the Three Tank Dance often...

Good luck with your new equipment!

Something different and puzzling

Agreed, Bruce. This is by far the least stressful and irritating job I have had. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong, or if others had had similar issues.

Something different and puzzling

Thanks for talking it over, PackRat. All good suggestions! It definitely makes reefer more annoying, lol.

Something different and puzzling

So, during training, I used my trainer's card (Comdata), and now I use my own company Comdata card. He was a lease operator, while I'm a company driver, so does that possibly make a difference?

Something different and puzzling

Yeah, it happens to me about 50% of the time, more often at Love's. It encourages me to use the mobile fueling apps so that I don't have to re-enter all the info multiple times. I've never heard anyone mention this before, and it NEVER happened to me during training (and I'm faster now, if anything), so I'm just feeling like a Reefer Dolt, lol!

Something different and puzzling

Yup. I select "truck fuel," "DEF" (usually), and "reefer." After the DEF, it says, "Authorizing reefer." I quick pull up the truck, jog back to the pump, and try to start filling the reefer, having already removed the cap to save time. Sometimes the pump even looks like it's going to work, but then it won't. It ends the transaction. Then I run my card again to fill the reefer, and it says, "Previous transaction still processing." So I have to wait a minute or two in order to start a new transaction to put those 6 gallons in the reefer.

Something different and puzzling

I've had this happen too. I try to notice the pumps as I pull in, to see if the two sides are really far offset. Then I'm more careful where exactly I stop.

Moving to fill the reefer is always a pain. One time, I had a pump want me to fill up in this order: truck, reefer, DEF. So, I had to pull forward to fuel the reefer, then backup to top off the DEF!

I also have problems with the pump timing out before I can pull up and start filling the reefer. I do it as quickly as I can, even unscrewing the reefer tank cap while I'm fueling the truck. Anybody else have this issue, or am I just "special"?

First Post and Loving this Forum! Feedback needed

Starlighter,

I understand where you're coming from. I was a librarian for 17 years, and then it was just time for a change.

I'm not going to give you advice, but just a data point (me): The timing worked out for me, because my daughter was about to head off to college when I started training. I went through Wilson Logistics company-sponsored training, and it worked out fine for me. They do, however, expect you to stay out 3-4 weeks at a time, which is what you were wondering/concerned about.

What other options might be out there that offer more regular hometime..... well, that's what you're looking into.

Best of luck! This is such a unique job that for the right person, it is amazing and a terrific change of pace!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Interstate highway construction history.

I find such things interesting too, Bruce. I bought this ebook a few months ago, but haven't read it yet. I wonder if it speaks to your question, and/or you might find it interesting in general?

"The Big Roads: The Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighways," by Earl Swift: The Big Roads