Comments By Mountain Matt

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0903329001627157493-102400.jpg avatar

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Wilson Logistics training for a new driver

Hey Tim! Yes, I'm following along with interest, and I'm others are too. I'm on track to start with Wilson in December. Good to hear an update, and interesting to get some of the details of how your training has progressed. I'm glad the backing has been coming along. How many miles towards the 30K are you now?

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Great another Illinoian taking their money else where. How are we going to fix the roads now??

Well, he DOES live in "Wheel-ing" - he's just taking their municipally sage advice...

smile.gif

Congrats, Matt! Enjoy the new challenges - you're gonna find some things that just baffle you andleave you wondering "How can they stay in business this way?" Roll with it, nod your head, and just go keep smiling. Keep us posted on your future adventures!

Mr. Curmudgeon, indeed, it's is all in the name! Thanks for the kind words and the advice. Will do... I also plan on keeping the annoyances from my 16-year job in mind during moments I might find frustrating: "Well, at least I'm not refereeing yet another squabble between employees!"

Great news Matt!! Change is always intimidating, but I have done the same. Lurking around TT, reading, reading and researching, for months on end. I was making sure that it was something I could/would/should do. After 35 years in the restaurant biz, it was a big change. I also got that "you're gonna do what?!?" from many co-workers and family. I think part of that was my stature, I am a pretty short guy. But you know what? I can reach the brake pedal!

Next week is final week of school at Knight Squire. The deluge of information was palatable, with all the great prep here on TT and with the High Road training.

Congratulations, with a great attitude and knowing just what you're getting into, you'll be great!

Mark, that's encouraging to hear from someone who's farther down a similar path! And yes, I feel as prepared as I can be, taking the time to read about the job and the life, as well as work through the High Road training. The change is definitely something I'm looking forward to, as well as the new challenge.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Thanks, TwoSides and Anne! And Anne, your turn is coming!!

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Am I to old to start trucking.

I'm 44 and planning to start company-sponsored school next month.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Thanks, Thomas! That makes sense... for me, the holidays are a drag anyway, so I'm wanting to get started. I realize there will probably be a few days of "down time" during my training when things pause over the holidays.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Lol, Bobcat Bob! Well, after 16 years of paying Illinois taxes--and Cook County sales tax!--I'm ready for the state tax-free land of South Dakota. You're on your own, now, haha. Also, South Dakota has those mail services that will handle my mail virtually.

Thanks for the kind wishes!

Posted:  4 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Thanks, PackRat--much appreciated! I'm sure I'll be reaching out to you all at certain key points.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Ha! Thanks, Mikey! I'm looking forward to it. And I often keep an eye out for your posts/responses, both for your general perspective and the fact that you live out of your truck too (if I'm not mistaken).

Posted:  4 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

I've received conditional offers of employment from two trucking companies, and I just gave my notice at my job this week. Since I'm a librarian/bookmobile supervisor, I needed to give 4 weeks' notice. After that, I'll get my apartment moved out, then head out to South Dakota to establish my residency (which you can do in one night's stay). I'll then transfer my license to South Dakota, and take the CLP exam out there. So, this puts me on track to start orientation by the middle of December.

I passed my DOT exam the other week, and I'm planning to go to Wilson Logistics. We've talked about a December 13 start date. After 16 years working in one place, I'm ready for a change of pace and a change of scenery! It was a bit fun seeing the look on people's faces when I gave my notice and mentioned what I'd be doing next. Once I get some experience, I should stand to make more money doing this than I do in my current job, which requires a masters degree.

Since I'm divorced and the kiddo is headed off to college, I plan to live out of my truck (once I get through the next hurdles) and maximize my work time. There's no reason for me to be tied down to any one location, other than visiting my kid at college once in a while.

I've been here on Trucking Truth for about 7 months, soaking up all the good info and perspectives from those of you actually doing this job. I learned about company-sponsored training on here, which is perfect for me (I've had enough of student loans!). And the High Road Training Program has been invaluable in my preparation. I have a class B CDL currently, but in terms of prepping for the class A, combination, tanker, etc. tests.

Changing pretty much everything in my life is a bit nerve-wracking, but mostly exciting in a liberating kind of way. It's time for a change, time for a challenge, time to push myself once again...

Posted:  1 month ago

My 10 hour rookie mistake

I appreciate those (many) of you who are willing to share your mistakes on here. They're great learning tools for noobs and sub-noobs like myself! Real-world illustrations of things to keep an eye on...

Posted:  1 month ago

When will I loose the "Reader" under my name

My theory is that anyone who has joined the site within a year is still labeled as a "Reader." Anyone who has been on here for longer than a year, loses that label and just has the self-chosen status only ("Preparing for School," "Rookie Solo Driver," etc.). I've been watching this for a while, and to my observations my theory holds up.

Posted:  1 month ago

PSD/Orientation With Prime Inc., Springfield MO

Congrats! Very cool.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Firearms?

PackRat, I know you are in IL.

NOT. Never be a resident there; just drive through and spend no money.

LOL! I'm currently an Illinoisan... and you're not wrong in your disposition!

Steven, as to your original post, if you're pulling a real high value load it is.possible that the shipper has a.shadow already set up. I once ran a load of Rx meds from Cincinnati to St.Louis. Had to wait for the load to be ready, started late evening with a full clock. Driving across southern IL I am certain i was followed, auto stayed about 1/2 mile behind the whole way, matched my speed 63mph truck in a 70 zone), wouldnt catch up or pass. Notified my dispatcher who said "ok, i will let.them.know"

I later learned from a guy that retired from a west coast PD that his retirement gig is high value cargo security. They follow the high-value loads at a reasonable distance to monitor for hijacking, or more likely, cargo diversion.

Good.luck on the hi value transport, though!

Mr. Curmudgeon, that is truly fascinating! Thanks for sharing that story. You would think they would tell you that you have a security detail so that you don't wonder about the vehicle following you and then you calling it in. But then again, I suppose they don't want to give the driver a heads-up on the security arrangements, just in case the driver would be complicit...

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Get off the truck

I'm not a trucker yet, but here's where I hiked today. Shoutout to one of our venerable moderators! It's right next to I-94 in the northern 'burbs of Chicago.

0180486001635398005.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Tell me!

As a prospective, I appreciate the robust exchange of viewpoints and experiences that happen on these forums. I also appreciate the respectful tone that Bklyn Dreams, Davy, and everyone else in this thread has shown. The tone makes it an enjoyable forum; the robust exchanges make it informative. Thanks, everyone!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

PSD/Orientation With Prime Inc., Springfield MO

Glad things are going well, Mark! And glad to hear that "drama" cleared up so you can just focus on your training. Thanks for the updates. I'm assuming once you get your CDL and move on to TNT, it'll just be you and the trainer (not 3 or 4 of you in the truck)?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Get off the truck

Great thread, and that's an amazing picture just above! Living in Chicago, I've learned to seek out pockets of beauty and nature where I can find them. Cool to see people doing that along the road.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

COVID

Glad you're back up and at 'em, Bruce!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime Inc - Flatbed/Reefer - CDL Trainee

I'm looking forward to following along! I assume there is extra training involved for learning the flatbed side of things. When does that happen--after your TNT (30K miles)?

All the best to you!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime Flatbed - Pay for securement equipment?

Good questions and really helpful info here. Thanks too for sharing your first-year pay, Chief Brody, and how that offset your equipment startup costs. The SLC page on Prime's website mentions 13-week rolling average driver pay, and it shows it being less for flatbed drivers. But you clearly put in the work and got a solid income out of it, even your first year. I wondered if flatbed drivers got fewer miles at Prime than reefer, but you've made it work. I've been contemplating whether I start with flatbed or make that move later on.