Profile For William D.

Company Driver In Training

1 year, 9 months ago

William D.'s Bio

Former Heavy Equipment Operator just started trucking

William D.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hi all any thoughts on this offer ?

This was the listing I applied to and spoke with them and got offered the job on a zoom meeting I also got offered a spot with grand island express but that’s in Nebraska and home time is every 3 weeks.

Are you a young buck who is full of vinegar? You'd better be. I'm a 62 year old flatbed driver who still has a lot of drive and energy. I wouldn't dare try that job. Food delivery is really tough. It pays well, but the drivers don't last long. It wears them down.

My personal opinion is that you should do one year of OTR. Not everyone agrees with me on that, but I'll bet everybody agrees about that being a very physical job. There's a huge difference between being a truck driver and a delivery driver.

I don't have any problem making great money out here. I see no reason to break my back chasing a dollar when I can do just as well without burning myself out early.

0091847001670522500.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hi all any thoughts on this offer ?

It is OTR out of Buffalo,Ny and it’s all pallets no cases limited touch maybe using a electric pallet Jack it’s not like Sysco or us foods type delivery 😀

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hi all any thoughts on this offer ?

They told me I’d leave my local yard on Sunday late night be out Monday Tuesday and Wednesday possibly Thursday then be back home home Friday afternoon and be dispatched from home since they have a drop yard in my city I do a lot of local driving in city now but mostly got me in the yard so I’m not to worried about city driving I may be a fresh driver but I’m pretty confident in my skills as far as backing into tight spots and small city streets.

Congratulations on the job offer, William.

How good the offer is depends...

Do you know how long your "weekend" is going to be? I recently left a job that guaranteed 48hrs off for a full weekend. I never saw a full 48hr weekend in the 8months or so I was there. It is one of the reasons I left that company. If you don't mind a short weekend then I guess there is no potential issue there.

Another thing that might make things difficult is the city driving. Sounds like you are expected to go into the major cities frequently. That might be very challenging for a new driver. Not only navigating the narrow streets and traffic but, also trying to back into tight dock areas.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Just making sure you are aware of the challenges you might face.

Not sure about how good the pay system is. I can't do the math in my head😁 3 weeks vacation is great though!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hi all any thoughts on this offer ?

Hi all got a regional offer home every week any thoughts is this any good ?

0068863001670514095.jpg

Posted:  2 months ago

Any Grand Island express Drivers here

I did research but wanted to ask if there was any drivers that had opinions is all

Why would you choose to work anyplace and then decided to find out about the company? That seems backwards to me.

Posted:  2 months ago

Do you get treated with respect by the dock workers (when making or picking up a delivery)?

When I worked as Dock worker the drivers loved me cause I was quick at unloading them and getting them in and out so much so they would bring me gifts on the holidays and food hehe. Now that I’m a driver I do the same.

NOTE: I’m posting this post (below) for a friend (who is interested in becoming a truck driver) who setup a new TT member account in September, but all of his questions keep going into a “waiting for moderator approval status” and are never being approved/posted to this forum for some reason. So I am only posting his questions after they have stayed in the “waiting for moderator approval status” for 2+ weeks.

Seeing the big demand for truck drivers over the past two years (if those national news stories are true about the truck driver shortage), I was curious, do you truck drivers get treated good and with respect by the dock workers/the people you interface with at the companies when making or picking up a delivery? I used to work at Target for 10 years as an outside vendor. Yet I would have to go to their dock on occasion and talk with their Receivers or other dock workers, to locate shipments of merchandise in order to restock my section of the store. I really hated how moody, mean, nasty, disrespectful many of their Recievers and dock workers were (as I worked in over 10 different Target stores, during my career there). Yet it seemed like some dock workers had their favorite truck drivers and treated them nice and with respect, yet the other truck drivers  they would treat as bitter enemies. I never understood this nasty Reciver and dock worker mentality happening at so many different Target stores. So I was just curious as to your experiences of how you have been treated by dock workers in general at various companies when making or picking up a delivery. Maybe it could be an isolated issue happening only at some Target stores with their Recievers and dock workers.

Posted:  2 months ago

Any Grand Island express Drivers here

Awesome thanks

Small company of around 150 trucks. Voted Best Fleets To Drive for multiple times. They seem to service Eastern part of the nation.

Posted:  2 months ago

Any Grand Island express Drivers here

Hi all so supposed to go to orientation with Grand Island express in the next couple weeks how is that company I hear good things and starting pay is decent. Any thoughts ? I work local now but wanna go Drive and see the country for awhile my family is good with it so figured why not.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Some advice needed

Sorry for the late reply but no they didn’t train me on anything just tossed me in a yard goat I did get most of that training at school besides that I didn’t get anything from my company I know I’d have to do training at another company which I’m fine with just debating on what to do now.

Hi, William, just curious to know if you had any training with your company after you got your CDL.

By training I mean OTR type training...running loads, learning how to manage your clocks, navigating, sending QC messages, etc.

I'm asking bc I'm not sure whether some companies will bring you onboard and send you out on loads right away without requiring you to go through their entire training period if you've already trained at another company.

The reverse is possible too. Even if you did go through the training process with your current company there are companies that will require you to have X number of months experience. Otherwise you will have to go through their training program.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Some advice needed

Yeah my job is quite labor intensive as I’m at a transfer station in and out every 10-15 mins and if the tarping guys don’t show up I’m also stuck tarping solo I mean not flatbed tarping but walking floors is like to get actual experience not driving in circles all day I work from 7am to 7pm and on Saturdays I didnt spend 9 grand to get my license to do this.

I jockeyed for about 6 years before it tore my knee up enough to require major surgery. I enjoyed the home daily and normal schedule other than working nights. It was a good experience but I probably wouldn’t do it again. If you’re wanting to get out on the road, you won’t get there in a yard truck. Of course you can always go OTR but if you want to keep that kinda money and still be home everyday, you’re gonna have to find a delivery job. It’s hard work but if you’re able, it’s a good way to get experience and your foot in the door for bigger and better jobs. I’ve delivered beer, milk, building materials, water and now fuel. I enjoy the customer interactions (sometimes) and enjoy not being stuck in the truck all day. I hated OTR but I got my one year in and went local.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Some advice needed

Hello again folks so I went back to my old company after graduating CDL school back in July to what I thought would be a driving position well I’ve been stuck being a yard dog for the last 3months sure I make decent money and all and home every night but my goal was to be a driver not a jockey now I’m debating on leaving to find a actual driving position. I’m currently hourly at 24.50 and work 60 hours and week im at odds lol

Posted:  5 months ago

Back with my old company Driving tractor trailer

Hi all after a few months of school at NTTS and receiving my CDL the compnay I use to run heavy equipment for rehired me working local making $1600 a week paid hourly actually made $1752 last week all in thanks to the peeps that got me threw my cdl training thanks guys. Definitely the easiest job I ever had lol.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

HO Wolding will be Bison USA

Hi, Grumpy Can i ask a question i just got a call from Bison USA about a hourly job hauling from Niagara fall's to NJ and long island and i see you work for H.O how is Bison do they pay overtime after 40 with the hourly and it is a good company for a new driver ? Thanks again

Wow. Another Wolding driver!!!

What is your truck number?

I’m in 2292

I really hope you guys get to hang onto the blue trucks, love seeing them at paper places we go to. That awful turd brown has to be depressing.

The good news is, we're not getting the "Gold" trucks that Bison runs in Canada. Bad news, we're getting white trucks so unfortunately, the blue will be going away in the coming years, They're just now getting rid of the last of the old-style Cascadias from 2017 and early 2018 so I think we'll be seeing the blue trucks for at least the next 3 to 4 years

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Road test tomorrow

Thanks

I passed aced it 😊😁

Hi all have my road test tomorrow was supposed to take it on 8/5 it got cancelled due to weather anyone have any pointers for me. Doing orchard park,Ny site at 10:45am

Congratulations!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Road test tomorrow

I passed aced it 😊😁

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Road test tomorrow

Best wishes, William D. ,

Maybe the cancellation was a blessing in disguise ?!?

Found this for you!! It's "Been Verified" also!

Brett's Blog on Passing the CDL Road Test. With examples.

Read through this... ^^^^ TOTALLY full of information! Me, personally?!?!? Sing the following song in your head, before you climb in WITH your 3 points of contact, for sure.... (YES, they'll watch for that, also...mount & dismount.)

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign. . . .

Yep, showing my (our) age . . . but when Tom was teaching / training me ... I'd ALWAYS sing the first few bars of it, in my head. (And yeah, sometimes they'd get stuck on repeat, haha!)

Best wishes, man. Besides the above blog, there are links to (and in the Wiki on here...) SO many more! The above is plenty, though. You want it, you'll get it. Rest up, read as you can.

~ Anne & Tom ~

good-luck.gif good-luck-2.gif good-luck.gif

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Road test tomorrow

Me to brother need to go back to work lol I feel confident but my nerves hoping they don’t get to bad lol

Pointer: pass the test.

Hoping you do.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Road test tomorrow

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Need help finishing CDL - just road test portion in NY

I graduated Today with. 96 avg from NTTS in buffalo passed my last two road ride tests with a 96 I feel confident in my driving abilities my pre trip is 98avg. Number 1 in my class of 6 weekers I go next week to orchard park for my road test but yeah ntts graduation rate is good but the pass/fail for the cdl exam is supposedly 8 out of 10 fail 😲

I think this is why my first trainer had such a problem with me.

I paid $3500 for my CDL, plus about $1000 in hotel room, and he paid $13000 at NTTS.

He failed twice and finally passed with a bunch of points deducted, and I passed first time, no points, and the instructor asked if I had ever held a CDL before, and insinuated he thought I was a plant to make sure he was doing his job.

I don’t think too much of NTTS.

My school was small, but every minute I spent in the truck, I was driving, never shared with anyone.

Did you ever test again can I ask what school you went to also NTTS here in Buffalo has a terrible pass rate for the actual cdl exam. Some people are on the 4th or 5th times I go for my first time on 8/5.

West Seneca course.