Comments By Mackerel (Mike D.)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0434070001627828861-102799.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 month ago

Just might test out early

Well 3rd party tester plus holiday weekend equals a test date of July 7th. Pre-Hire with Werner, so not long now. I have been in school (CDL) and not working for a couple months now. Getting antsy want to get out and "earn my keep" as they say. Happy independence day everyone.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

My oldest truck (so far)

I’m in school learning how to drive in a 1996 KW900, it’s a beast, but the old trucks seem to be more forgiving.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Has anyone went to school at 160 driving academy?

160 bought the school I went to 10 years ago. I called to get my info and they didn't have it. I think 160 is a "mill" for cash.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

What is a IPCS test?

It is a "strength" test on a machine hooked to a monitor. It is used to determine if a prospective employee can do the physical portions of the job.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Another example of U-turn gone wrong.

Well planting the truck in the dirt is one way of getting fresh flowers.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Check your nuts boys and girls.

A very very long time ago a friend of mine had a flaming tire, yes at least part of it was on fire, come of a big truck, bounce over the median on the 405 near Long Beach, and land on the hood of her car. It was fortunate for her that #1 she was in a VW Beetle (with the engine in the back, and #2 that it was bumper to bumper traffic so the impact was fairly slow.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Another example of U-turn gone wrong.

Its a prime FLORAL trailer

A Prime Floral Trailer isn't necessarily hauling flowers... GOAL isn't just for backing up...bummer for that driver, embarrassing moment caught on film...

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Just might test out early

My original "graduation" date is July 6th. However the 3rd party tester that my school uses will be coming into town, he lives approx. 90 miles away, on June 30th, 2021. I think I'm ready, feel good about the Pre-trip, straight line and offsets are good, I'm about 60 to 70% sure on my alley dock. The road test is done in this really crappy 2007 (or is it a 2012) International Eagle with a 48' trailer, it has a really goofy transmission and a HEAVY clutch...Slow and steady on the road, I can do it just need ultra focus for it...wish me luck

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Werner Pre Approved me.

P Pig...I think I might like the PODS acct. I live in Northern Utah (84337). I put that zip into the 'public' job search on Werners site and it does show the PODS acct. But if you have access to some 'secret' LOL site your input would be great. I have some family issues with my elderly parents so I will be going to So. Cal. at the beginning of July, for a week or so. I will speak with my recruiter as soon as I have my CDL and make a plan for orientation, date pending...site pending...As soon as I know I will be making a post. THANX ALL

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Feeling discouraged in CDL School

When trying something new and it doesn't "click" right away, that's ok. It took me a few tries to get my brain to agree with my hands when trying to adjust to driving using a mirror. Good luck, and be calm.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Horn battle with a train.

0404300001623891627.jpg

You be careful with that, if you had a train horn you mighty have scared him, thinking there's another train coming!!!

This is a replica of the golden spike Train. It is so small that our W900 KW won this easily. If you zoom in you can see the engineer playing along and waving

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Horn battle with a train.

0404300001623891627.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Need help with not stalling truck

If the clutch is holding you, you don't need to be on the brakes. If the engine starts to lug try giving just a tiny bit of throttle.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Werner Pre Approved me.

Congrats on your prehire. I went to orientation in Lithia Springs (Atlanta). They generally will rent you a car. Werner has been a pretty good company for me. No complaints at all. I am currently still on the va gi bill appreniceship program , if you have any questions about that or tuition reimbursement just let me know.

Papa Pig, I used my post 9/11 to pay for my school. Do they really give back money that I never paid out of pocket for? In order to get that reimbursement did you sign a contract? If so, for what length of time?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Werner Pre Approved me.

I would go to Omaha because that's where the company is based. Phoenix is already in the triple digit temps, and I try to do nothing in California.

My thoughts exactly. If no rental cars are available I might be able to use Amtrak. There is a train from SLC to Omaha.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Werner Pre Approved me.

Omaha is ~14 hours, Fontana is 10-11 hours drive and I might have time to visit my family. But I am still leaning toward Omaha.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Werner Pre Approved me.

Yes I am pretty keen, I haven't discussed, in detail anyways, accounts, it will likely be OTR, or if and when available the PODS account. It's solo, it's advertised as home bi-weekly. The tipping point was the GI Bill apprenticeship pay. The first year pay, learning the ropes, getting familiar with the job, can take some extra time, so the pay isn't what it might be in the second year and beyond. I think the PODS account might be a "soft" way to get flatbed experience without breaking my body too badly.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

New guy...Dumb questions

Physical address vs. living on the road. I wanted to go full Nomad, but all statesrequire an address. It took me a few weeks to figure it out, I tracked down an old friend/former Navy shipmate, and now have a permanent address and cheap rent (that really feels like not paying rent after leaving my last apartment). It can be done. It takes some paperwork but it can be done.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Study that Handbook

I know that Utah likes to rewrite the questions. Read the question very carefully. They like to write questions that say “which of these is not “ so read carefully and go slowly.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Werner Pre Approved me.

Brand new driver. I got pre approved by Werner. A couple weeks before I test for my license. I live in Northern Utah and their orientation sites are all about equidistant from me. Omaha, Phoenix, or Fontana. I really have no desire to go to Phoenix in July. “Fontucky” or Omaha?Suggestions? Now about getting to the location. They will get a rental car, if any are available. We will see how this works out.