Profile For Tammy A.

Tammy A.'s Info

MA

Preparing For School

1 year, 4 months ago

Tammy A.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Tammy A.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

I have No clue what to do

Why NO?

So now I have talked to pretty much every company that I can think of and every one says no to my application I really have no clue what to do

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking of teaming with my kid

I knew there had to be mother/kid somewhere out there.

I had a student with Prime whose mother began training about a month after him. When my student finished he ran solo for a month until his mother finished her training. I ran into them at a random truck stop in Texas a couple months after they had started teaming. They got along really well and seemed to enjoy driving together.

It can be done. And Prime had no issues with a Mother and Son team.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking of teaming with my kid

Anne , The only way he would do it is if he had no choice. Why dont we do it together lol

I am trying to get my 34 year old to get his cdl with me so we can team drive. I wonder how many mother and son drivers there are out there? I would feel more comfortable with my kid helping me and me helping him. With both of us having our CDL and living on the road is better then just sitting around this house. Would companies look down on a mother/son team?

Tammy;

I was waiting for others' replies, before I chimed in. I'm not a 'real' driver myself yet, either.

Here's my take; I've known you a 'little bit' off forum, chit chat & what not. If YOU and HE train SEPARATELY, (let's say, each join Prime, for instance;) and obtain your CDLA's independently, then.... run maybe 6 months to a year SOLO, I'd be all for saying 'why not?'

I'm in a similar boat. When my RC heals (if ever, rotator cuff btw) ... Tom wants to join an OTR company together and train ME. We did that years ago twice, on my permit. It was fun then; but I doubt ever again. He's not the training type. Are you? Who's gonna lead whom?

If you REALLY want to go against the grain, look at CRST and maybe CRE... as far as dual training.

I've BEEN there (sorda) and I'm still 'nope.'

Wish you well, no matter.

PLEASE make sure sure sure sure that all forms of Cannabis are totallly void of your system, before EVEN thinking further, too! I know you like to party, m'lady. Didn't WE ALL in some form, at some point. Any residuals (even CBD) is the kiss of death in this industry, as has been proved time after time, right here on TT.

You know I wish you the best, m'lady. I'm almost thinking maybe you & he could drive 'tour buses' upon obtaining your CDLB...and enjoy the drive, AND the ride!

Seriously & sincerely,

~ Anne ~

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking of teaming with my kid

Well Nobody has ever held my hand thats for sure. 0

Honestly, this industry takes a high level of self sufficiency, and a "get it done" attitude.

Your description of your son makes me think that it would be a very bad idea for him to get in a truck, because of previously bashing the trucking industry. Also, if it's not his idea, the drive just won't be there.

As for you, this post is reading like you are co-dependant and are unable to take risks without having someone there holding your hand.

Yeah, it would be nice to team with my kid. For about a week. But he is a grown adult and needs his separation from me as his parent, as much as I need separation from him as my now adult child.

It doesn't appear that you can handle the pressures of a driving career. I am not saying that to put you down, but point out the reality. Failure happens in this industry, for a multitude of reasons. The biggest is a persona inability to "get it done" without someone babysitting them and holding their hand.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking of teaming with my kid

Im trying to convince him we can do this together. If we dont get along driving team he can go off and drive on his own. Hes thinking about it. Hes not putting trucking down like he used to so maybe he will do it. Honestly I would feel more confident if we teamed because he s really smart when it comes to learning and he knows exactly what to do its just getting him to do it. He knew the RV to the T so it was a help when something went wrong. I would hope if he committed he would follow through if he didnt then he will be left behind. Once I take the step theres no turning back for me. But I hear whay you are saying

Tammy,

Do you really think you can get him off his lazy a$$ to get a CDL-A? Still keeping him dependent on you. It's not good for you or him.

Have you been off weed long enough for it to be out of your system? Worry about that first.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking of teaming with my kid

Posted:  2 months ago

Ride-a-longs

Can you have a permanent rider?

Most solo OTR drivers enjoy the occasional rider, if company policy allows it. What is your favorite ride-a-long experience?

My first will be next week. My 18 year old grandson will be going with me for a week. This is something I have wanted to do ever since I obtained my CDL in 2018. A real dream come true for me, to have him in the truck for a week. He starts college this fall, so I may never have another opportunity.

What are your thoughts about ride-a-longs?

How exciting, BK! You better share photos, now that we know you can. :)

Well y'all already KNOW my 'ride along' experiences, LoL!!

I'd love for G'Town and Old School and Turtle to share a brief post of theirs, in summary, too!!!! And any others I'm forgetting, too.

Thanks~!!

~ Anne ~

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Omg I'm almost 60 and I know Allll about pot and booze. When I was a kid I needed help been there done that. Those days are long gone. Pot, well not a lover of it never was but it's my vice right now. Easy to give up but forever? Not sure. If anything we're to happen on the road and I had it in my system that would be the end. Forever is a long time. Just deciding how much I want to drive. I'm not an addict never was I always just watch myself and I'm sure that's more then alot of you drivers do.

My email is in my profile. I have 11 years clean. I can point you to some resources that, should you choose to, could help. It's much than a matter of simply quitting.

Irrelevant of what you are doing, also some resources for codependency help. It's almost always bundled with addiction, and from the sounds of the issues you had with your son, some help is needed there.

A new career isn't possible until you fix the bigger issues, be it pot, booze, anything and everything. They are symptoms of a much bigger illness. Help is available.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Oh God I'll be back when I'm ready to go.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

That's what I have to do soon if this is where I'm going

Tammy, why don’t you wait 6 to 9 months until you can pass a drug/hair follicle test and then let us know how you are doing. Unless you have reverted to alcohol use.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Nope still have both. Sure I started weed because of quitting drinking. It's alot healthier and yes I didn't take up running as a substitute. I can do anything I put my mind to. Just been thinking again about going on the road and if anyone asked me why I didn't do it B4 it's because I couldn't decide to quit weed plus I got a good job and put trucking on hold.

Hey everybody has some vice they don't like about themselves. Weed is such a miracle drug and too bad it gets a bad rap.

Sure everybody has vices. Mine is pleasurable, I kept it under control for over 15 years and it won't get anybody killed, especially in a big truck.

While you think you have your drinking under control, in reality you exchanged one bad habit for another. Most of the truck stops I go to aren't near any bars, however, some truck stops do sell beer. If you can't do business by walking into a truck stop and ignoring the beer, then you're in trouble and need to get into an alcohol program and learn how to deal with it. Yes, I know what I'm talking about. Of seven kids, five of us were alcoholics. Two of my brothers go to AA every week.

I don't consider marijuana to be a miracle drug otherwise it would be in the pharmaceutical meds where the FDA can make money off of it. Also, it may be legal in your state and many other states, but there are still States, including Idaho where I live, where it's illegal. At the federal level, marijuana is illegal and it will never be made legal.

Did you get your issues with your son and the older gentleman you were caretaking all settled? That was a big issue with you going driving also.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

The whole reason why I'm not driving is because I need to make sure I'm ready. Once I quit that's it.

Anne do you have a facebook? Mine is Tammy akkim add me if you want.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Right now

Tammy, everybody may have some sort of vice, but yours disqualifies you from driving a truck. What makes you different?

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Thanks Anne!! It's kind of the answer I was looking for. I drank since I was litterely 10 years old. Sure got into trouble as a kid but just was sick of being tired the next day so..pot..never liked it. But it helps me sleep and now it's legal. I know I can not drink but I'm afraid being at a truck stop laid over and usually a bar right there lol I would disappoint myself maybe. Oh well got to once again see how bad I want to do this. Thanks!!!

I was on here about six months ago and wanting to take the plunge. Truthfully I didn't because of weed. I know everyone is gonna say it's a choice but it helps me to not drink. I could get a million psyc meds but can't smoke weed. I smoke to sleep. I know I have to choose. I'm scared to not have that crutch. Please don't say negative comments. It is what it is. I just have to decide. I guess it comes down to how bad do I want this but I haven't drank in years and really don't want to start even if it's just here and there.

Hi, Tammy!!

I remember you. AND, I totally understand where you are coming from. Tom, (my husband/driver) doesn't smoke, but his brother, older by 10 years, could not live without it.

Dennis is retired from Kokosing (quite nicely) and was a paver, with a CDL. Back in the 'day' .. they could do 'both.' Sadly, not anymore.

I'll have to defer, sadly, that .. it's just a choice right now. There may be SOME type of 'driving' jobs (ie: pavers?) that don't test as strictly, but ... I'm not coming up with anything, within the CDL box.

I wish I had the answers. Have you tried St. John's Wort, and/or Melatonin??? There are so many herbal supplements that will help you with your ailments. My dude, Tom.. takes many.

I wish I had the answers, girl. I wish. It's about choices now, however. Sadly, but seriously.

Best to ya; HMU anytime~

~ Anne ~

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Hi Tammy, I’m not trying to be negative, but just realistic. Get yourself employment other than driving and pursue help with your substance abuse.

I fret about those who want to drive despite substance abuse issues. Are they in the past? Perhaps, but what if they surface again if and when you are driving? You are one I would worry about. You can get a class B driving job and establish a track record. But with your weed usage, for whatever reason you claim, I doubt driving is a possibility for you.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Newbie Here! Best advice for a woman thinking of jumping in...

Actually I called social workers and asked if there was any way Henry can go on respite for 2 months and when im done get him back. The answer is YES. The reason I say 2 months and get him back is if I dont get my cdl or something happens during training I will have a job to come back to. If I get my cdl well im going otr full force. SO a BIG duck in a row now.

Ok-- so one more question... and I think this one is the most important of them all.

I'm gonna start off by saying, I don't care much about company pay, etc. I figure the first year-- my main mission is just to learn the job and get as good as I can at what I'm doing-- the money comes with knowledge.

So having said that-- are there any company sponsored training programs that you experts here think are better compared to others? Any programs that a rookie with little to no experience in anything larger than a minivan should stay away from? (I've heard that Roehl is pretty ruthless with their quickness to cut rookies that aren't catching on fast).

Really-- with everything else I've been able to glean from relentlessly reading this board-- I think this is the last important question in me deciding which way to go.

Brandie, I can only speak about Schneider training. I believe that it was top notch. But when you are new, you are a beggar not a chooser. Get on with a big company with a training program. You are right, just take what you are offered and go with it.

There are two of you here. You and Tammy. Both of you have my respect, but I wonder about your ability to follow through. How about your children? When I was young, I didn't get any help from my parents because they were unable to provide any. Instead, I helped my parents financially until their deaths. How about your children? Are they able to help you pursue your dream?

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Wilson Logistics - Missoula MT

WOW! Congratulations!

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Dot medical help

Ive had the same doctor for 15 years and when I drank and smoked weed or felt depressed, I never told her. Its not her business

How would they know about rehab or a hospital visit?

If by "they" you mean the trucking company, they probably know more about you than you know about yourself. Myself included. That's why we have to sign a release for them to get confidential medical records. It's insane how little privacy there is.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Dot medical help

How would they know about rehab or a hospital visit?