Profile For BoshJennett

BoshJennett's Info

Birmingham, AL

In CDL School

11 months ago

BoshJennett's Bio

Friend of Jimmy K. since 3/1/05.

Bariatric surgery patient 7/29/2020

Single Dad to a little girl.

Fulfilling a lifelong dream of being a truck driver.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

BoshJennett, sounds like we've got some similarities in our situations; your kid is just younger. It's always interesting to read about other people making career changes to get into trucking.

I'm glad to hear it's been going pretty smoothly. Yeah, I bet having your dog is nice. My cat died this year, so maybe down the line I'll think about another pet. Lol about it taking 5 states to pass someone... are those Eastern or Western states? haha

Hahaha I’m in the east coast fleet, I learned very quickly the 75 mph zones out west are no fun at 65, everyone is mad at you lol

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

In July, I turned in my notice after 11 years of banking and got my CDL, been driving for SWIFT since then.

I have a toddler at “home,” but I am currently living out of my truck and I come home every couple of weeks to see her and we stay in a hotel.

I have my pup with me and thoroughly enjoy it. It’s a bit of a struggle to get used to it, heck I’m still adjusting, but once you figure out how to work your HOS, the rest is pretty simple.

The worst part of the job at this point is getting passed all day, but I don’t mind that until I need to get around someone doing 62 without cruise and it takes me 5 states lol.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

1st company and would like to haul reefer...

Curious as to why Swift isn’t in your list, they are recruiting reefer heavily and they just gave us all a hefty raise in dry van ($0.11 a mile), but I’ve really enjoyed my time at swift, granted there has been a few problems, but that’s gonna happen at every company.

I don’t pull reefer because cambro logistics is the devil and I don’t like them.

I just can’t stand being backed into a door and waiting 1-10 hours to get unloaded, which is what always happens at every grocery warehouse except Walmart.

Swift will certainly get you to all 48 too.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paging G! Swift Walmart

Turtle, thanks, that’s what I was really curious about, I don’t care about bouncing around, hell I was in Maine yesterday and Charleston on Tuesday lol.

I just really needed a basic understanding of how the DC’s worked, but it makes sense now.

PackRat I read your reply, but won’t thank you because it wasn’t helpful. 😬

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paging G! Swift Walmart

Turtle! Thanks for answering, I read both of those before this post, thanks for those though, this position is reefer, seems like a pretty common thing for swift to have the reefer and the PF to have the rest.

I’m curious about one thing mainly, in Alabama, from Birmingham where I live, I can hit 6 WM DC’s, so are all of these delivering to different stores or does each DC specialize in different products and they all deliver to the same stores?

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paging G! Swift Walmart

I’m from Chelsea.

you should take it, it’s gotta be better than the dollar account, at least no hand unload. I wouldn’t like slip seating though.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paging G! Swift Walmart

Thanks for replying! I’ve been tearing up the road. 30k miles since the end of august in my own truck.

I honestly just forget to stop by and check in here.

Big T was my instructor at swift! I made him come comment here lol.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paging G! Swift Walmart

I have some questions about the swift Walmart accounts. Currently swift OTR, but they are recruiting for a DC in opelika, is there a way I can contact you?

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paging G!

Hey man,

I’m currently SWIFT OTR but the Walmart dc in opelika is recruiting reefer drivers that are home weekly, can you give me some actual details on how the routing and drops go?

How many stores a day? I don’t live within 50 miles so I wouldn’t slip seat and already have an assigned truck, but idk if I would have to switch because it’s a different fleet.

Also, I couldn’t find how to message on here or I would have

Posted:  9 months ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Well, sorry for my lack of posting, but life has been quite a whirlwind.

I just completed training today and unfortunately the terminal staff had left for the day when we got there, so I'm at the quality inn, in Decatur, GA for the night and I go up there tomorrow to do my upgrade, very exciting.

The final tally of the runs we did together.

Birmingham, AL to Lanette, AL to pick up our first load. Lanette, AL to Denver, CO Denver, CO to Hermiston OR Hermiston, OR to Lewiston, ID Lewiston, ID to Jurupa Valley, CA Jurupa Valley, CA to Humble, TX Laredo, TX to Romeoville, IL Rockford, IL to Wichita, KS Harrisonville, MO to Fort Worth, TX Lancaster, TX to Davenport, IA Cedar Rapids, IA to Edwardsville, KS Joplin, MO to Tomah, WI Owatonna, MC. to Independence, MO Bluffton, IN to Allentown, PA Jonestown, PA to Vonore, TN Vonore, TN to Opelousas, LA Ball, LA to Fort Pierce, FL Lee, FL to Pageland, SC Charlotte, NC to Buford, GA Buford, GA to Decatur, GA

Had a great time and learned a ton, now I'm ready to make some real money, hopefully I remember how to sleep in a real bed without Juan driving lol.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Ok, sorry for no updates for a while. Life turned into a whirlwind. Let me catch everyone up.

I took my CDL test the Tuesday after my last post. I failed my first attempt because I wasn’t all the way in the box on my 90 and sounded the horn. Literally the only mistake. Haha. I passed the next day, a Wednesday. I finished my test at 4:30, but everyone was gone for the day, so I stayed in Memphis an extra night, reported to the terminal the next morning, Thursday, did all my paperwork and headed back to Birmingham.

I got a call from the Atlanta terminal Friday with my mentor assignment, they gave me Juan’s phone number, he was on home time in Clanton, which is about 45 minutes from Birmingham. I reached out to Juan and we arranged to meet Monday and start our life together.

Monday, august 2nd we met at the truck stop and loaded up my stuff. From there we drove to Lanette, AL to pick up a preloaded trailer of fiberglass insulation and head to Denver, CO. Of course when we get there the trailer wasn’t ready and they actually needed our empty, so we went and grabbed lunch while they loaded us up.

We headed off to Denver after lunch, we stopped in Memphis for the night at the SWIFT terminal there, then from there we drove out my 10 hour clock in Newton, KS, then we got the load to Denver the next day.

From there we were supposed to pick up a T-Call but they weren’t there yet, so we ended up waiting at the SWIFT Denver terminal for 24 hours.

We left yesterday and stopped in Rock Springs, Wyoming on the way to a Walmart DC in Hermiston, OR.

From there we are going to Idaho and then down to Vernon, CA.

Loving it so far. When we get to Oregon I will be done with my 50 hours and we will switch over to team driving, which seems way more productive, but hopefully we can stay loaded and rolling and run out my 200 hours quickly so I can upgrade and make real money!

Posted:  10 months ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

So, I haven't kept this up to date because it's been mostly the same thing every single day.

Here is what to expect when you come to SWIFT's driving academy.

The first week will be spent in a classroom, during that week you will do all of your paperwork to pass the medical clearance, the second and third week will be spent on the driving range and road learning the basics of driving and pre trip inspections, then you will test out at the start of the 4th week.

Tomorrow is my last day of class and I find out what day I'm testing next week. Last Monday I was handed a pretrip booklet and I thought that there was no way I could learn all of that, but now I feel confident I could pass the test TODAY, so that is insane. Time FLIES while you are here.

I will update with the results of my testing and then I will focus on what it's like having a mentor.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Hard to believe that tomorrow is the last day of my second week and then next week is my last week before testing. It flies.

Today we did more backing. BACKING BACKING BACKING.

I've been backing some type of trailer since I was a wee lad, grew up on a farm in michigan and today was by far my worst day of backing a trailer ever, but it's ok, I learned a lot. Honestly it was only bad because I am having to adhere to the CDL testing rules, but that's what I gotta do, so i'm gonna get better tomorrow. Feeling good about pretrip and need to get a better grasp on air testing.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Ok y'all, it is damn hot in Memphis, TN this week. Spent all day on the range backing. The one and only MR. T lead the instruction for my group today. Felt like a real life celebrity! All is going well.

Off to study pretrip!

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Tuesday July 13th.

2nd day there, the morning was mostly medical stuff for everyone, getting all the final i's crossed and t's dotted. FINALLY got behind the wheel. Did a few straight line backs, an offset back, and then a pre trip. I didn't get out there until mid morning because of medical.

They are a little packed in range classes, probably due to the holiday, so my group was very large. Backing the truck wasn't much different than some of the trucks and trailers I've been backing my whole life, especially my 20' foot pontoon, so I looked like a pro compared to some of those folks that literally had only been backing for 2 days. Excited to get back out there tomorrow and do a full day, it's hot though! Hoping to get a smaller group tomorrow because I think they finished testing today.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Well Day 1 at the academy in Memphis was a whirlwind.

I got to the hotel late Sunday after moving all day, I wasn't scheduled for a room, I knew instantly that all was not well, I still think my recruiter dropped the ball. Hotel got me a room, got in, relaxed, 04:00 came quickly Monday morning.

I got to the academy and of course I wasn't on the roster, however, because it wasn't my fault and just the recruiter, everyone at the academy was wonderful and made it happen. I had to do one more day of virtual class, my recruiter said I didn't, and I did everything I could paperwork wise, I have to go back in the morning, before school starts, and he's going to run through everything quite quickly for me and get me processed.

First day at the academy was great, except for more zoom classes lol, tomorrow I will be out on the range!

They put us up in the Best Western Plus in Olive Branch, MS, single occupancy, and there is a shuttle to and from the academy, leaves at 5:15 every morning. They also provided lunch for us today.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

I haven't updated daily because there hasn't been a need, all virtual classes all day, all CDL-P review. Going to memphis Sunday.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

The teacher has a great voice for radio, so it wasn't boring,

what is his name ? I went through 160 about 4 years ago and the virtual teacher we had I did a great job. I want to say his name was Dave, but he was a city driver in Chicago for most of his career.

That's the guy, his name is Dave. He is doing a great job.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

1st day of virtual training.

Virtual training is done through 160 driving academy, today was almost all CDL Permit content, so it was a pretty easy day for me, since I already have that, always good to learn a few new things, which I did.

We are in this class with Amazon drivers and then all of 160 campuses, SWIFT drivers and Amazon drivers are the only ones doing it from their house, the rest are in classrooms.

The teacher has a great voice for radio, so it wasn't boring, I am a little upset because I thought I would be learning in a vehicle Monday, but I think I have one more day of virtual Monday.

Seems like my recruiter has ceased to return my calls, not surprising though, his job is done.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Good morning everyone.

The diaries on this website were instrumental in helping me make some decisions, so I decided that best thing I could do would be to pay it forward and get something updated on here.

I start SWIFT Academy in Memphis, TN on July 6th, 2021, my first week will be entirely virtual, then I will go up to Memphis.

I had to get my CDL permit and medical card before I started, so that's all been done. Looking forward to keeping everyone updated as best as possible!

Best wishes with your training!

I also start training on July 6th... and I will definitely be observing as I like to 'compare notes!'

good-luck.gif

OH awesome!

I bet we are in the same virtual class this week.