Profile For TwoSides11

TwoSides11's Info

Philadelphia, PA

Considering A Career

2 months, 1 week ago

TwoSides11's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 hour, 17 minutes ago

Having difficulty starting a driving career. Need advice please

That's ODD that CRST wanted 6 months' experience .. was it a dedicated account, then?!?!? Maybe WM?!? Hmmm...

Not sure Anne, the recruiter didn't say. After 2 weeks of dealing with her she comes back and says the opening is for 6 months experience and doesn't see any solo regional positions open for inexperienced drivers.

A few other training companies: DML (Dutch Maid Logistics) here in Ohio, MAST trucking, (Ohio, as well,) Witte Brothers (they don't advertise, but they sure do train, in a manual!,) and Raider Express. Maybe Covenant, too. Don't know much about them.

Hey Anne thanks for the list. I do remember you sending them to me a few weeks ago. Appreciate that. Yes you do remember I filled out the sites app 2 weeks ago for the 2nd time but I only heard from CRST this time.

CRST doesn't require ANY experience. If you have your CDL , it should be a walk in the park. BUT You do realize they are mainly a TEAM driver company?

No I didn't realize that Stevo. The recruiter didn't mention that at all. I asked for a solo regional position. Team and OTR is not what I'm looking for

Posted:  3 hours, 13 minutes ago

Having difficulty starting a driving career. Need advice please

I haven't called CFI. Thanks. I will put them on the list with Schneider, Swift, Roehl, May, Prime, Dollar general, and Western Express. At this point I will work for whoever calls me first lol.

Posted:  5 hours, 32 minutes ago

Having difficulty starting a driving career. Need advice please

Hello Drivers. Just want to share the situation I went through before my question.

I have been dealing with a recruiter from CRST for 2 weeks. The first day seemed normal with gathering my information and talking about available positions. Called me back 3 days later and asked if I had my CDL or if I needed training. We discussed that 3 days ago so I was confused on why she asked. She told me about a dedicated regional position for dry van, again we already talked about that and I agreed it sounded good. Told me they would do a background check and call me back within 2 days. A week goes by without any updates so I called her and her response was "oh yea, everything came back fine." Asked again if I had my CDL. Told her yes. Then set up a drug testing at a facility about 30min from where I live. Did the drug testing, hair and urine, and called to say it was completed. Got a call 3 days later which is today and said everything is fine except my driving history from the past 6 months was incomplete. Then tells me the position is for drivers with 6+ months of experience smh.... I was also talking with a recruiter from Knight but put him on hold for now because he couldn't give me an answer about home time, CPM, sign on bonus, layover or detention pay. All he told me was a flatbed and dry van opening that averages 2500 miles a week. 2 day orientation, 4-6 weeks training $800 a week. The TMC recruiter that had me come in gave me more information about their company than any other recruiter I spoke with so far... things just didn't work out for me there....

My question... Is it normal for recruiters not to know anything or give me exact information about the company? Should I blindly just go with Knight and the little info he gave me?? Seems like I'm having bad luck trying to start this driving career. Any suggestions on how I should pursue this career will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. Stay safe out there!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Who is only testing urine in 2021?

TwoSides11, not trying to discourage you from contributing but looking at several of your posts, its best not to comment unless you are sure you are correct. If someone saw just your comment before anyone else corrected misinformation it could get them in a world of trouble.

Hi Mikey B. Not discouraged at all. I have no problem with being corrected. Definitely not trying to misinform anyone either. I post the experience I'm going through to try and help out anyone else in my position.

You insinuate that i have made several posts that are incorrect, do you mind pointing them out? I agree 100% I shouldn't have posted on this topic. But if you can let me know of other posts I've made that are false, I would greatly appreciate it. All for the purpose of learning. Same for anyone else who have found that I have been making misleading or misinformed posts. Please let me know

I think this site is awesome and members on here have given me some great information and insight to this career field. My intentions are merely to pay it forward to others. Thanks and stay safe!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Who is only testing urine in 2021?

TwoSides11, unfortunately that information is wrong. There are a lot of trucking companies doing hair follicle tests right now as a pre-employment screening. The urine test is currently the only one authorized by the FMCSA, but most trucking companies are also doing a hair follicle test.

Oh wow. I wouldn't have expected trucking companies to do hair tests. Thanks for correcting me... Apologies for the misinformation.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Managing expectations after getting out of truck driving school. Are my expectations realistic?

Gone are the days where rookie drivers can't get local jobs. Trucking companies are in desperate need of butts in seats. You will have no problem finding a local job

This is what I thought when I graduated CDL school. Like I posted above, I don't know how they hire out West but where I'm at (Southeast, PA) that is not true. If it were I would have a local driving job and definitely have had more than one road test for a local company. I have called many local companies and only one had me come in for a road test. The others told me they needed more experience. The one that had me come in was in dire need of "butts in seats." Like Old School mentioned, that might be your perception and not the truth for the trucking world as a whole.

Fact. The shortage of drivers with trucking companies is well documented...... Do you have anything of concrete substance to refute what I have stated, something other than referencing what was true in the industry 20 years ago?

Again, this is misleading. Chief Brody provided an article and I'm here as a personal reference to refute that statement. I am actively talking with veteran local, regional, O/O and OTR drivers (10yrs plus) and the "shortage of drivers" are definitely not local or regional. From my research I have learned that driver retention and retirement are the leading causes for the shortage of OTR drivers. This information I gathered by actually talking with drivers in the street. Seasoned drivers don't want to fill those positions and me as a recent grad would rather run regional than OTR.

Im definitely not trying to cause trouble here. This site is committed to the truth in trucking as a whole, not ones personal view points. Thats what makes this different than any other site. I just had to add my findings on the matter to clear up any misleading statements

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

It is also alarming how many people think that jobs are suddenly available for rookies just because the media tells us there is a driver shortage. There have been reports of driver shortages for decades now. Why all of a sudden do newcomers think, "This is great, they will hire anybody now days"

That is exactly what I thought coming in and very quickly realized that the "driver shortage" they are referring to is more for OTR drivers.

I am a recent grad and my first thoughts were to get a local job and start a career. I did a road test for a local company 2 days after I graduated and did not pass because of the lack of knowledge. My downshifting needed work, I did not mention the trailer registration card in my pre trip, along with other minor/major things like the proper use of the Jake brake, how to set the tandems according to weight and the proper paperwork needed for the specific load. Local companies just don't have the time or patience to teach that. Local companies, in my experience so far, want drivers with more experience so all they have to do is teach the driver the route. Also realized that going to orientation for a company is not an automatic hire.

My expectations have changed and I now realize it is best to do regional or OTR for a few months. Not saying you won't find a local company that will hire inexperienced drivers but for me in the Southeast part of PA, companies don't hire recent grads. Not sure how they do it out west. You might be able to find a regional route with 3 days out. If that's what your looking for. But don't quote me on that though

Hope this helps and I hope it won't deter you from seeking a career in trucking. Good luck!

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Who is only testing urine in 2021?

Only government jobs do the hair tests. It's more expensive than a urine test and you know trucking companies try and keep their costs down. You will be fine going to any company that is not in the govt. field once your urine is clean. Some companies might not like an inconclusive test so don't try and block it. I know for a fact TMC doesn't hire you with an inconclusive urine test....

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Anyone know of mega carriers that still have manuel trans trucks?

Thanks for the response guys. I appreciate it. Old School, I'm not pressed on only driving a manuel truck. It just would be nice to start out in one but I will definitely not turn down a company because they only have autos. Well I kinda did when I chose TMC, they claimed to have manuel trucks but when I got there it was about 20 of them lined up ready to get shipped out.

Hopefully when I'm done with running regional routes for a mega carrier I can find a local company that still has manuel trucks.

Thanks again for the response, this site is extremely helpful and I'm glad I came across it. Stay safe out there!

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Anyone know of mega carriers that still have manuel trans trucks?

Howdy TT peeps. Just wondering if anyone knows of any mega carriers that still use manuel transmission trucks. I know they are going extinct but there has to be some companies out there that still have them. Right? Somewhere hidden in the deep.

I say mega carriers because I'm an inexperienced driver looking for a starter company. I have looked on this websites company reviews and it lists some companies that do but most of them either don't take inexperienced drivers or have since stop using them. The Vets will probably tell me how annoying it is in traffic and the wear and tear it has on your knees but I would really like to start my career in one if at all possible.

Thanks and stay safe drivers!

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Birthday

Happy Birthday Brett!!!!!!!! And many more!

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Starting TMC training!!!

Hi Anne, thanks for the support!

Yes I have used the trucking app that is on this website. That's how I got connected with TMC. I guess I will resubmit an application again and let the games begin with a bombardment of phone calls from recruiters. Is Marten "MTS??" I have spoken with a recruiter and they are looking for 6 months experience. So far since I've been home I talked with Western Express, DM Bowman and Knight. Also I am open to pull anything right now, I'm not set on just flatbed, it just seems like a lot of fun.

Have you looked into Maverick? Marten? R.E. West? If you are open to Dry or Reefer (or tanks? Yeah, i know.. my bad...) there are SO many companies...looking for you. Witte Bros. comes to mind, as well as MAST . . . let us know what becomes.. This. Sux.

Lol your good Anne, I appreciate the info. I am grateful for the knowledge you and others share. Never heard of R.E West or Witte Bros. I will definitely look them up and contact them. Thanks again for the support! I really do appreciate you, this site and all the members on it!

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Psd training for Prime !!!

Congrats and good luck! How do you like Prime so far? Thinking maybe I should call a recruiter...

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Do You Think I Can Pass My Permit Test?

I agree with Steve L. The questions won't differ too much from what you been studying. Just keep studying up to the day you take your test and you should be fine.

The real concern after that is finding the right school to get your license. If I had to do it over again I would have went to a paid training from a company, I recently obtained my CDL A from a private school and not sure that I picked the right one. Make sure they teach you about coupling, the sliding tandems and the pre trip in depth. My school didn't show me the tandems and I had to ask them about the coupling system.

Good luck on the permit test

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Starting TMC training!!!

Hey Old School I will definitely stay in touch through the forum. I'm going to ask the same repetitive questions like before lol. Just can't believe I'm home right now. I'm more upset because my expectations were too high I guess. I was thinking I would get hired by TMC and start my career with them. Never thought I would be sent home. The situation just wasn't what I thought it would be. Now I calmed down my expectations and have to realize nothing is set in stone. Just because I'm there training doesn't mean I will get hired. Thanks for your support!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Starting TMC training!!!

I've never heard of that result, so I can understand how upset you are.

The good news is there are plenty of other companies that are hiring. Start applying again.

Very upset lol. It's been a while since I worked a 9-5 but in the event of an inconclusive drug test wouldn't they have you take it again??

Yea I know there are plenty of other places hiring but I just don't know where to start. Are there some companies that are better for a rookie than others or are they all pretty much the same?? TMC seemed to do a great job of training "for the brief time I was there" and I think I need to go to a company with high quality training for inexperienced drivers. I'm just trying to get this right.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Starting TMC training!!!

Im ****ed! They are sending me home because my drug test came back inconclusive. WTF!!! WTF!!!! WTF!!!! I can't believe this. I was called out of class to the administrator and he explained that since it came back inconclusive they have to send me home. I asked why can't I take it again? No answer to that question, instead scolded me saying didn't your recruiter tell you there would be a drug test and not to do anything that would taint it. I calmly voiced my opinion and said is it possible the lab technician made an error? Also that we took the physical and drug test after lunch. His response was "Well you shouldn't have drank a lot of water" But I didn't. I ate a small breakfast with orange juice, had a bottle of water while in class and drank cherry pepsi with lunch. And if you suspect it's water and not a foreign substance blocking the results what's the problem with taking it again?? What rules did I break? Never have I gotten into an accident where drugs or alcohol was a factor. Never gotten into anything worse than a fender bender. My fmcsa clearinghouse report is squeaky clean and will forever remain that way. I don't do drugs and haven't smoked weed in well over 5yrs. I understand there are things companies do that I may not understand, that there is a "method to their madness" but this makes no sense to me. I don't see the reason behind sending me home for this.

While on the bus heading back to the hotel the driver told me not even half of those in class will be hired. How they are uber strict and many do not get hired. Like that's suppose to make me feel better? I'd rather go through the 2 weeks training and not get hired because I can't preform the duties of the job. Not like this, on day 4, from an inconclusive drug test smh. Oh by the way I aced the combination part of my test.... Sitting at the airport now waiting 3hrs for a flight to Minnesota with a freaking 2 1/2 hr layover to get back home. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

I had to write this so I'm not walking around the airport cussing and irate and possibly attract more problems. I want to yell out so bad. I'm sick to my stomach, feel so defeated. The only thing keeping my hopes up is that God has better for me. That this probably wasn't the best option for me since I have zero experience in the trucking field. Now it's back to the drawing board to find a job....

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Starting TMC training!!!

Day 3 Oct 6th

The morning was the same as the past 2 days. Came in, did roll call and worked on the tests. I got a 95 on the air brake section, very satisfied with that. I have 5 more questions to do on the combination test and so far no wrong answers. I'm guessing tomorrow will be evaluation day to see who will be able to get in a truck. I hope that low score on the general knowledge doesn't affect me too much.

After lunch we lifted more tarps and watched a video of load securement and safety. The focus was on proper securement of the load. The instructor had no jokes today. It was a serious class. He stressed about the dangers of this job. How easily it is to die or kill someone if your load isn't properly secured and how important it is to be aware and double check your straps. Almost half of the class got to mess around with the straps and using chains but my group ran out of time. Flatbed trucking is no joke. I knew there were dangers to the job but today just gave me a whole new perspective and respect for it. The second half of class was more of a scared straight session.

Got back to the hotel and had dinner with 2 of the company drivers. I would have paid for their dinner but they get it for free. The hotel is owned by TMC and it's a mini truck stop in the back. They told me what to expect from this job, how strict they are and the benefits the company offers them. No one had anything negative to say about the company, they treat the drivers very well.

Tomorrow I will finish the combination test and hopefully get a chance to use the straps and chains. The pace is picking up and so far am enjoying this experience

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Starting TMC training!!!

I understand how those things sound dumb to you. There is a reason behind their madness. Understanding and following directions in trucking is paramount. Even if they seem irrational.

Following the signs is the best route to take. They have some signs there about not walking on the grass. They want to see if you are paying attention to the signs. They also have now told you about the rule. They want to make sure you are listening and following directions.

I totally understand. In my sleep deprived state yesterday it seemed a little silly but the way you explain it I 100% agree and get it. Even though there aren't any signs stating to stay off the grass they are testing us to see if we can follow directions

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Starting TMC training!!!

Attention to details and following instructions are never a dumb thing when you're trying to get hired.

100% right!