Comments By TwoSides11

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0529404001630826457-105139.jpg avatar
  • TwoSides11
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

He says he's leaving me in KC at the Knight terminal, I say haha no your not.

It was not smart to say that. The truck is his, not yours, and he can leave you at any safe place when he wants.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ when saying this, trust me I really am not. Honest question.

His truck broke down on us and we are in a loaner. Does that still count? That is why I said what I said. If we were still in his truck that he got for being a million miler that wouldn't have came out my mouth.

Posted:  1 week ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

Kerry, First congrats and good luck next week! Also congrats on the wedding and new life coming into this world!

He is mister big shot million miler that can do no wrong. That is his attitude. He knows better than the GPS. Took me off route a few times into residential areas because he knows a better way. Gotten us lost a few times and even put us in a country club. But brings up the only 2 wrong turns I made.

I have kept an open mind and been very coachable. I have done what you said in another post and analysized my actions.. I do that in life anyway because I know I'm not perfect and I strive to become a better person each day. I guess him saying he is not a babysitter is a response to me asking questions before doing something. I asked him what he meant by that but he never explained. I never questioned his directions because he has been driving for 20yrs and has a million plus miles. I respect that.. I will try and talk with him because that's the kind of person I am.

Thanks for your response Kerry.

Posted:  1 week ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

If he's not teaching you the things you need to learn, then you're probably better off going with another trainer. There's no point in training if you're going to be exactly where you are when you're done.

What else should he be teaching me? How to do the logs, what to do at shipper/receiver, he showed me how to go on and off duty and when. But what else? That is what he is showing me but i don't know if theres more to it.

Yes, last night was a build up of emotions I kept in. I couldn't believe he would blame me for the wrong turns when he gave me the directions. Nor bring up the times he got us lost and put us into a country club parking lot because he knows better than the gps

I didn't take into account that a 5 min break could lead to a nightmare scenario. I was just hurting bad and see that my luck won't always be there. Especially when I'm focused on one thing, getting out the truck.

What has happened so far didn't seem like good enough reasons to ask for another trainer. He's just annoying, could be a lot worse. Yesterday was the only time yelling and cursing was involved.

Thanks Banks. I appreciate your input

Posted:  1 week ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

I have been respectful towards him since day 1. Told him I'm here to learn and follow directions. There has been no problem on my end up until now except the time he blamed me for logging out of the zonar system when I didn't. He insisted I did and kept talking about it for 30min until I got irritated and said I didn't. Come to find out the zonar does that now every time we stop for a load. No apologies but I'm not looking for any. As long as he knew he was wrong in blaming me.

I have been focused on training and ignoring his remarks towards me because they are petty. Like telling me to turn left when the only way to turn is left. He complimented me yesterday saying my backing has gotten better. He said the YouTube videos you watch at night seems to be working. No safety violations, no reckless driving, nothing. My driving is fine for my first week, even words he said from his mouth.

Just wondering what would happen if we can't resolve this in the morning. I don't think anything bad would happen but I could be wrong. Only saying that because today was the only day that we argued and it wasn't for anything driving related so to speak. Only at day 8. Got 20 more days to go.....

Posted:  1 week ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

Hey guys as many of you know I'm on the road training with Knight. A problem came up tonight and me and the trainer got into an argument. I will explain the best I can and I'm looking for brutally honest opinions.

The argument occurred when my 70hr clock was running out. I had 1hr left. We were on our way to a receiver but I wouldn't make it in time. When the warning came up he said I need to find somewhere to park. Cool. We are on 49 north in Missouri headed to a drop in Harrisonville Missouri. I have been driving for 6hrs straight with no break and I was tired and cramping up. I needed to get out the truck for a minute and stretch. The area we are in has no rest areas to stop. The closest loves was 40min away but I couldn't make that. A gas station came up and I told him I'm going to pull in to stretch for a min. He said I don't have time, go somewhere else. I asked him where? He said a ways down. I pleaded with him saying I'm hurting. I pull in and he's yelling at me about I can't park here. I was out of the way of traffic not blocking anything. I park and get out to stretch and he's complaining that I just got us stuck. I say nothing, ignoring him the whole time. The way I was facing was towards a one way street going away from where we needed to go. He's still yelling that we are stuck and I'm blocking ppl but I was not. Mind you it's 8pm, nobody is in the gas station. I say nothing. He says, ok smart guy I would like to see you get out of this. So I back the truck up without his help and go out the same way I came in. Easy, got it done. I then ask what exit we needed to take. He says exit 157. We are at exit 145. Now I have 40min left. Driving down he says get off here. I see signs saying loves is exit 158. But I listen to him and get off at exit 157. I have 15min left and see no truck stop in sight. I ask where is the truck stop, he says we are going to deliver the load. Now there is no time limit on this delivery, it is an open delivery. I say I thought I needed to shut it down, why would you instruct me to go deliver the load? Since we are one exit away from loves I get back on 49 and head to it.

He's nagging about how I need to pay attention and listen. I lose my cool at this point. I say what do you mean, I am. What's the problem? He mentions how I took the wrong turn. Twice so far in my first week. He says I still don't know how to do logs and I don't know anything. I snap. I said it was your fault I took the wrong turns. Once in Ohio on my 2nd day and once in TX yesterday. You gave me confusing directions. I told him your right I don't know anything, that's why I'm training and it's your fault I don't know how to do the logs...( in reality, I'm just slow with it and ask him questions while I'm doing them so I don't type the wrong things in) I say if you were a better trainer I would know more by now wouldn't I? All you do is sit in the passenger seat on your phone or sleep or give me confusing directions opposite of what the GPS says. He replies I'm not a babysitter, I ask what does that mean? Aint it your job to teach new drivers?? So you just train to get the extra pay and not actually train ppl?? He yells and says well then get off the truck since I'm not training you.

After this load we have a pick up in KC going to Massachusetts. He says he's leaving me in KC at the Knight terminal, I say haha no your not. You driving me to the Carlisle terminal since we going back east anyway. Now we are at the loves with 2min to spare on my 70. He jumps out slams the door and walks away leaving me to back into the spot by myself. I get it done with 2 pull ups. I get out the truck walk around to cool off. When I get back to the truck I wanted to talk about what happened but he is in the bunk sleep. I plan on having a calm conversation with him tomorrow.

I see what I did wrong by loosing my cool. It's a lot more to the story on why I did. This whole training period he has been talking to me like a child. Like I don't know basic street signs. Been condescending towards me and I have kept it cool till this point.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Trucking Life 2.0 - Living It, Loving It!

Congrats Old School!!!dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif

Glad you are back on the road. 3,120 miles is amazing. Are you doing OTR or is that regional? So your back with flatbed! I started with Knight on the 18th. Doing training with a driver. I'm in Tallulah Louisiana headed to Wilmer TX to Procter and Gamble. I applied for flatbed but they have me training in dry van. Pulling 43k pounds. Its heavy...

Hope to see you out there on the road one day. Would really like to meet you. Good luck and stay safe!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Knight transportation, Flatbed

Thursday, the big day! Arrived at the terminal at 7am and walks in with my new badge ID. I feel like an employee now that I don't have to buzz in the front door. Went and talked to Lloyd and he told me hang tight the driver should be in shortly. Saw Melissa and she was excited for me to get started. I'm also super excited and nervous. All types of scenarios running through my head. Not sure what to expect so I calm down and wait for the real thing. John was running late, got held up picking up a load out of Missouri that we will deliver to Pittston PA. I hang out in the lounge talked with Melissa and Howard and I must say those two alone give me high hopes for this company.

John arrives at 1pm. We greet each other, I walk over and load my gear into his blue 2020 Volvo. He is a million miler and has been with the company for 13yrs. Driving for 20. John tries to log me into his truck so we can get going but there is only one problem.... Lloyd didn't set up my fuel card or assign me to the truck. Smh come on Lloyd, you seriously had all day. We go talk to Lloyd and it takes him a half hour to get me set up. Finally ready to go John tells me to jump in the drivers seat. Ok now it's real. Gives me a tutorial of the truck and I feel comfortable enough to start.

Leaving the terminal we immediately got stuck in traffic. Not even 10min in yet lol. I keep patient and wait for it to clear. Now we are driving for real. I'm nervous but stay focused. Remembering the training videos and YouTube videos I feel like I'm off to a go start. I'm keeping a good following distance, scanning traffic and checking mirrors. Got to Pittston did a drop and hook and deadhead about 50 miles to do the same at another location. From there we deadhead to Mifflinville PA, I'm pulling about 12k pounds and really can feel the difference between a loaded trailer and an empty. It's getting dark now and it starts to rain heavy in route to the next stop. Very nervous at this point but made it in one piece.

Only did 3 stops 5hrs and some change total and drove 187 miles but I'm beat lol. I'm in Mifflinville PA for the night. Got a drop and hook tomorrow in Monroe Michigan.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Knight transportation, Flatbed

Thank you Mamma Anne. I really do appreciate your responses and well wishes.

Lol. My English teacher once told me I could have a future in story telling. Never followed up with writing though.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Knight transportation, Flatbed

Wednesday Nov. 17th I received a call from the driver that will be training me. I ask him about his rules for his truck and what to bring. Rules are no **** bottles, drive responsibly. Bring enough clothes for 2 weeks, will stop and do laundry and food is allowed as long as I don't bring the whole kitchen lol. The trainers name is John and we talked for about 30min over the phone. I find out John drivers dry van, I applied for flatbed. Wondering how that will work out I call Lloyd and ask him about it. He tells me I will do my driving training with John, then when I go solo I will shadow a flatbed driver. What is shadow? Following behind a driver to the stops and he will show me how to strap loads on site. I guess that will work, would have been nice for Lloyd to explain that to me before I talked to the driver. No biggie, it was just a surprise

John will be at the Carlisle terminal 730am on Thursday. Knight set up the hotel for me the night before so I wouldn't have to leave my house at 430am that morning. I pack and leave Wednesday night to the hotel. I'm ready to get started!!!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Knight transportation, Flatbed

Friday Nov. 5th. Howard gave me a call telling me I passed the hair test and would be moving forward in the hiring process. Let me know that my DM would give me a call Monday Nov. 8th. He thanked me for the interest in Knight and was pleased I chose flatbed. I told him I couldn't wait to get started and be a part of the team.

So Monday comes and goes and no call from the DM. Now Tuesday passes still nothing. I call Howard on Wednesday and ask him when will I hear from the DM. He sounded shocked that I haven't received a call yet and said he will get back to me. 10min later the DM calls. His name is Llyod. Tells me they are looking for a trainer and pretty much hangs up on me. Ok that's weird. I call back because I had some questions. He tells me he will get back to me. Lloyd calls me Friday morning Nov. 12th and asks if I can come in Monday to pick up my badge and get coded, I say sure what time. He said he will let me know by the end of the day. Sounds good. Well he never called back so Monday morning I call him and ask what time I should be there since I'm less than 2hrs away I can come in no problem. He changes it to Tuesday between 9-10am. Great, see you then.

I show up Tuesday at 910am and greeted by Melissa. She takes my picture, gets me coded and goes over any questions I have. She tells Lloyd I am here and he tells me to wait. I sit in on the class that she is giving for another orientation, have lunch with them and Howard is there again. After lunch I go into the drivers lounge and watch TV. 2pm comes along and Melissa comes in and asks if I met Lloyd yet. No I haven't, so she takes me to go meet him. He is in Howard's office talking and laughing. Melissa knocks on the door and asks Lloyd to come meet me. Lloyd comes out the office and his demeanor is unpleasant. He seems very uninterested in meeting me. No eye contact, vague answers and short with the introduction. Melissa seems to notice and as Lloyd starts to walk away very interruptingly, she says "Hey, don't you have something for him" he says oh yea, goes to his desk hands me paperwork to give to the driver trainer and says "give this to him when we find a trainer for you." Melissa smiles at me and says we will be in contact with you soon.

On my drive home Llyod calls and says he found a driver out of the Indiana terminal that will be close by Carlisle on Thursday Nov. 18th. He said I will have to stay out for 28 days until training is complete. Which means missing Thanksgiving dinner with the family. I agree because he didn't know when another trainer would be available. Now I'm excited that things are coming together but concerned about how the first impression went from the DM Lloyd. Hopefully that will change. I get a "I don't want to be bothered by you " vibe from him. I'm not taking it personally but if this is the person I will be working closely with then it didn't go smoothly in the first meeting.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Knight transportation, Flatbed

Went to orientation for Knight Mon Nov.1 in Carlisle PA. I drove to the hotel Sunday night ready to get started on a new career. It's an 1hr and 40min drive from me so I decided to take my car instead of a bus they offered.

Day 1. Woke up Mon morning at 6am, orientation started at 8. Took a shower got dressed and went to the lobby for a disappointing hotel breakfast. A microwave breakfast sandwich lol. Ate that and waited for the shuttle to take me to Knight terminal. Shuttle leaves at 745am and I was in the lobby at 715am. Other students were in the lobby and we started talking about trucks and football. 8am comes along and I ask them when the shuttle was going to come. Was told that it already left and to my surprise they weren't there for Knight, they were there for P&S doing training. Talking with them I thought they were in the paid cdl school for Knight. They were not lol. They told me who to talk to about getting to the terminal and eventually got to Knight at 820am. I don't like being late for anything especially my first day at getting a job but the orientation teacher Melissa said don't worry about it, it's fine.

In orientation there are 4 ppl including myself. 2 were brothers from upstate NY, the other guy from Pittsburgh. The 2 brother's were there for team Reefer driving, the other guy and myself are there for flatbed. Got set up with the laptop to watch module videos and did that until 10am then we left to get our physical and do a lift test. Came back and Melissa did our drug testing, Hair and urine. After that we continued to watch modules on the laptop. It's 40 videos to watch ranging from 10-20min long. About 7hrs total. They offered Papa John's pizza for lunch and the terminal manager Howard came in and had lunch with us. Asked us about ourselves and told us a little about himself as well. Very nice guy, seems like he is very interactive with the drivers at the terminal. Howard was excited to hear that 2 of us applied for the flatbed division. They are low on drivers and are desperately trying to expand that fleet. After lunch we watched more modules and went back to the hotel at 430pm.

Day 2. Woke up same time at 6am dressed but today drove to Waffle house down the street for a delicious breakfast. 2 big waffles scrambled eggs and bacon. This time I drove to the terminal because it is literally down the street from the hotel. Less than a 5min drive with traffic and the Waffle house is a block away from the terminal. Arrived on time! Today there are only 2 of us in class. Me and the other guy that is there for flatbed. One of the brother's failed the eye exam and was not issued a long form so they both went home.

We watched more modules. Have to complete all the videos and take a quick quiz at the end of some of them before we leave orientation. Also had a zoom meeting with the president of the company and the other terminals across the US. Arby's was for lunch and Howard came in and ate with us and talked with us more. Just getting to know each other personally. I like that he had lunch with us. He could have spent his lunch break doing whatever else but chose to come and socialize. Very cool. Then modules, modules, modules.

Orientation was only for 2 days but I stayed another half day just to be a kiss a$$ lol. Talked with Melissa about Knight, was informed I passed the urine test and the hair results should be in by Friday. Today is Wed. Also went out in the lot and a driver gave me a quick tutorial about putting on tire chains.

This process was quick and easy. Just had to show up, pass the drug test and watch videos. Nothing complex at all. Howard will call me Friday about more info

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Got hired at ODFL’s Driver Training Program!

Thanks! Must be your area because a lot of the terminals around here are hiring for the Driver Training Program. Getting that year experience sounds like a solid plan.

Yea I'm in the Philadelphia area. I didn't call any other terminals. Yea getting that yr experience will make me more desirable to them lol and that will give me time to get my doubles and hazmat and twic card.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Got hired at ODFL’s Driver Training Program!

Congrats Mike G. I called OD but they said they didn't train. I'm at Knight doing driver training now. It's fun, learning a lot. I'm thinking about applying to OD after a year with Knight. Good luck at OD!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

That's a good list PackRat. The trainer has me doing all of the above except climbing in and inspecting the inside. Just a visual to see any holes in the roof

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Witte Bros. (something new to me)

Hey Kerry, I think a company paying for transportation is beyond nice. For me it wouldn't be a deal breaker if they didn't. I honestly was shocked to hear that companies actually do reimburse. My thoughts on that is what other job in other fields would do that? I'm guessing not many. Most of the time it's on you to get to them. Just my opinion on the matter.

Good luck with your search, make sure you pick one that you feel is best overall for your career

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

I am outta Phoenix. I made sure that my trainer needed to have a TON of patience....and he said no problem! He is rethinking just how much a TON is today, yesterday and probably looking ahead. My mistakes are really stupid stuff, but this is all brand spanking new to me. After the lack of common sense yesterday he's agreed to be crystal clear, and I have agreed to do exactly what he says. Foreshadowing - "check the back and make sure it's clean" when picking up an empty does NOT mean that the doors are clean......

I hear the Phoenix terminal is top notch! Same here Mark, this is brand spanking new to me. You got this, I'm asking a lot of questions too. Told him I'm here to learn. My trainer is using trucker language and I'm like huh? What's that mean lol. Good luck with training. Are you out for 4 weeks also? And when did you do orientation? I did mine Nov 1 thru 3rd. Funny, maybe we were in the same zoom meeting together.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

I thought I responded? I was in Zambia. I returned to the US on Tuesday. Application process with companies has been moving very quickly. Could be at orientation with a company either the end of the month or the beginning of December.

Oh then I missed your response. Wow Zambia! Hope you had fun. Glad to hear your starting soon.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

Thanks Kerry. I will be doing a diary. No time right now but I'm taking notes and will post it all at once when I can. I was trying to see where you were at in another post but guess you didn't see it. Are you back in the states yet??

Anne your turn coming soon. 2022 right?!! I will be following for sure.

Mark O man you ain't the only one. I did a bone head move also today smh. You started with Knight too? If you did what terminal?

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

I thought million milers get to choose any color they want, not just purple? Good luck out here twosides11! Sounds like you got a good initiation for 1st day. Try to take as many notes as possible. 28 days go by very quickly.

Thanks Brklyn, your right they do pick. His truck is blue. I have my note pad with me taking notes!! I want to get ths right. It's fun and at times confusing. Learning every minute, every mile every drop and hook.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

Awesome! Glad to hear you're liking it. If it's purple, I'm assuming he's a million miler. Keep us updated. I always love hearing experiences with Knight. They have worked out really well for me.

He is a million miler. Been with the company for 13yrs. His truck is blue and yes I will keep yall updated. So far it's going good. My trainer is a cool guy, patient and keeps his truck organized