Comments By Michael Y.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/show-truck1.jpg avatar
  • Michael Y.
  • Comments:

Great news!

Damn, if only I were starting Prime next month. I might have been able to get you as my trainer smile.gif

Would be awesome to semi know my trainer.

So this time its real.

I also taught how to back into a tight spot by taking advantage of how the trailer slide on the rails as if you were moving the tandems to weight out correctly. While this backing is only used in extremely tight areas sometimes it the only way. Basically slide your tandems all the way to the back of the trailer but leave them unlocked. Then you start backing up and once you start into the hole and get almost straight you set your trailer brakes and then slide into the hole till the tandems are completely slid forward then lock them in place now you have made yourself and extra 15 foot of space,that you did not have before starting, to pull up and get straightened out to complete the straight line backing. If done right you have your trailer 15 foot already into the parking space. Used in little to no room parking lots and tight shipper and receiver docks.

Thats an awsome tip.

Truck School tomorrow.

Hey Michael, Kinda spooky, isn't it? To go from an idea in the imagination to reality so quickly. I guess everything you read on this website is on the up-and-up (not that I doubted it for a minute)embarrassed.gif

In any case, does that mean you also are going with Central Refer? How did you make your decision (whether it is Central or any other). I am asking because I just got off the phone with Stevens and they said the same thing - pending final verification that all my info checks out (and it will) I just say the word and they will send a bus ticket. Geez, makes the head spin.

Stephen E. Birch

No, I'm going to Prime. They had the best starting pay package of the places I checked into. In my current situation that was my top priority. I couldn't jump ship where I'm currently at to make less money.

Truck School tomorrow.

Hey Chris, save me a chair. I have been talking to a Central recruiter and she offered me to come to Fontana ASAP. I had no idea it would go so fast and so I asked her if a two-three week delay would make a difference, since I got a BUNCH of stuff to take care of before I can go. Any comments on why you chose Central over the rest? I live just over the hill from you home so we are just about neighbors . . .

Stephen E. Birch

smile.gif

I had the same thing happen to me, even though they had not done background and previous employment checks yet. I sent in my app, talked to the recruiter 3 days later. He said he had a spot open the following Monday if I wanted it. I said I needed more time to give notice to work. They got everything done application and checks wise. Since I work nights I had recruiter start me 3 weeks out, I gave current employer my 2 weeks notice, all is well now, tomorrow night is my last night. I start training this coming Monday.

My update with Prime Inc.

Hi guys, thanks for the posts about Prime. I am in the very beginning stages of starting this whole journey and Prime is at the top of my list. I have a couple questions.

As far as the LW trucks go, is there no other option? Are you not able to get into a full size ?

Do you go Springfield for training no matter where you live (I'm in Washington state)

How long before you get paid any money at all - even the $200 weekly loan I have heard about - when does that kick in exactly?

How much money should I bring to training and do you think Prime is the best bet for someone with limited funds and needs cash ASAP?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

- Case

Hey Chris,

I'll answer your questions to what I know now, as I have not started with Prime yet, one week till I do.

I think the LW trucks are mainly for the reefer division of Prime. When I spoke my concern about getting an LW truck, he said I could go flat bed, or wait on a standard sized truck, or I could go for a lease (shivers), I said no to that one. I'll be sticking out the LW for the time being. Daniel B. made a good post concerning the LW trucks as far as dollar difference to run one.

You will have to ask a recruiter about if you have to go to Springfield or not. If you do, don't sweat it, they pay for your ticket there. They are paying for a bus ticket for me. I live only 3 hrs away, but why make my wife drive me up there and waste gas if they will pay my way there right?

For being paid, the $200/wk loan is during your first month of training while your learning to drive the truck. When you come back and pass your CDL skills tests, you will go back out with another trainer and you will get paid $600/wk during that phase.

You will need to bring a minimum of $100 for admin fees I was told by my recruiter. Other than that, as far as i know, it would be up to you as to if you'd want to have to worry about using the loan money and have to pay that back later.

Hope this helps, if I missed anything, I'm sure the Prime veterans here will give you more info.

Truck Uniforms

I currently work in the shipping and receiving department at my company. I have many Schneider drivers that come in. Most of them do wear at least a Polo shirt with their company logo on it. Also company jackets. I don't know if that is a full time requirement of their drivers.

Thinking about starting a class to get my cdl

If you have the funds to attend the available class locally, go for it. There are also many companies that have sponsored training, check here comany-sponsered schools. While you are at school, apply to as many companies you can think of. When they contact you, let them know your currently in school. Some will offer tuition assistance, which will pay you back for you schooling, with a contract you will need to fulfill to get that. After your done with schooling, the only way you would be able to have someone with you is after your out solo, before then you are with your trainer. To get a jump on things before you do start school, use the High Road Training here on the site. If you have other questions, there are many more qualified and friendly folks here to get you the answers you seek.

good-luck.gif on your new career.

Funny Company Name I Saw On A Truck

I believe SOL is Sun in Spanish.

Worth the extra penny?

I'll be starting out in reefer division as a rookie. I do have a little bit of experience with a reefer unit in a local delivery company. The main thing is to keep an eye on your display on the reefer, make sure it stays within the acceptable temp range for what you are hauling. The sooner you see an issue the sooner you can hopefully correct it so not to damage the load. On the trucks I drove, the reefer ran off the fuel tanks the truck itself used (small box truck), so I didn't have the hassle of an extra fuel tank, nor did I have to mess with the DEF tank then. They got newer trucks with DEF after I stopped driving for them. Having the experience of hauling reefer, after your year you could possibly get on with your local grocery chain delivering to the stores in your area. Where I live I see the local stores trucks around with day cabs, so I would assume they are home nightly.

Help For My Dad

Even with 20 plus years on the road if he goes as a company driver he will be in the top mileage pay of around .38 to .45 cpm. Prime is .45 to .46 cpm but only if you take a light with truck and also agree to run the new York area.

Most companies will be at the same pay as a 3 to 5 year driver at .38 to .42 cpm. Basically after 5 years of experience you top out in pay regardless if your out here 60 years or 5 years.

Just an off shoot question. Is Prime the highest paying company out there? I mean, they start their drivers with around 6mo experience at .42 CPM provided you take the LW truck.

Rookie adivse?

I start my training on the 17th, I already have my CDL A permit (passed first try thanks to TruckingTruth's training course). My biggest fears is the Pre-trip inspection test, double clutching, down shifting and backing, emphasis on pre-trip, I'm afraid that I'll forget a ton while doing the test. I have driven vehicles with standard transmission, but double clutching is definitely foreign to me. When I was a kid my step dad let me drive his truck from a stop, but had me float the gears, which I did well with that (needed to watch the road more than the RPM gauge lol I was 13 then). Downshifting I didn't do much in my cars/trucks, so I will need practice there, and the biggest thing I backed once was a 40ft goose neck travel trailer trailer on a Dodge dually within the parking lot of the RV place I worked at. I was given a tip by one of the salesmen that worked there on backing on how to hold the wheel, and I found that much easier than the way I was originally holding it.

I don't foresee a major issue while going forward, other than up and down shifting. I will need to learn where to start turning while making a right hand turn. I drove a 26ft (no CDL required to drive) box truck for a delivery company so a I have a small concept of turning a larger vehicle.

I'm sure most of my fears I will get over while doing it daily. I guess my biggest question would be, any advise on how to learn and remember what to say for the pre-trip test?confused.gif

An in-depth look inside my LW truck (a must see!)

Daniel, are the LW trucks an option at Prime, or do you get assigned one whether you want it or not?

I was told by my recruiter at Prime that I will be assigned an LW truck. I asked him if I could get a standard sized truck, he told me that I would have to wait on one to become available or I could go for the lease to get one quicker. I said I would use the LW till one became available. smile.gif

I wanted to start out in a standard tuck, but now that Daniel put it into $s difference. Ill stick it out in an LW for a year or so, need to get my financial life straight before I worry about comfort right now.

Winter (cold weather) starts

I have an auto start feature on mine. I set it and go to bed. When the voltage drops below so much or the coolant temp falls to a preset temp it starts the truck, then shuts off at another preset temp or voltage. The voltage part is for the EPC. First cousin to the APU system.

That sounds like a nice thing to have if your company does not allow you to idle. You would get bursts of hot or cold air, and use a fan to blow the air around the truck in between the times the engine was off.

Studying for my Class B CDL, which sections do I NOT need to study for a simple class B vehicle with air-brakes?

Richard, I would really recommend that you go ahead and get your class A license. You just never know what opportunities might open up for you, and that Class B isn't usually worth a whole lot in terms of earning potential. Even if you already have a class B job lined up I would still go for the whole enchilada - you are already forking out the money and time, why not just go ahead and get something that will open a lot more doors of opportunity for you?

With all due respect man, I have a great job lined up driving a straight truck, I really don't wanna drive a semi if I really don't have to. In fact my employer advised me against it because of their hours and pay rate being worse. Strictly getting a Class B forces me into a certain route and truck type I and he would prefer I took.

I appreciate your concern though.

Just because you have your CDL A does not mean you are forced to drive only semi trucks. It just allows you to drive everything. I have spoken to someone with an excavating crew that required CDL B due to the dump trucks, but if they were to tow a trailer with a back hoe on it, they were required to have a CDL A due to the trailer putting them over the weight limit of their CDL B.

My update with Prime Inc.

I start class on the 10th. I drove out to it earlier today just to find it. Found it and walked in just to make my intro. I am ready to start.smile.gif

I start on the 17th, I will be getting bus info on the 12th for the trip up. I have been to their Springfield yard before back in 90-93 time frame, I was a kid then, step dad drove for Prime back then. I looked up where the yard is on Google Maps, it looks like it would be easy to find, just one highway all the way pretty much to their front door. smile.gif Hope your training goes well good-luck.gif

My update with Prime Inc.

Great to hear you like Prime. I will be starting with them on the 17th. I did a bunch of searching and they have the best starting/training pay of any of the ones I looked into. You mentioned removing the seat in your LW truck, I had heard they did not have passenger seats. I have searched online for pics of them but cannot find any. Good to hear they are not as small as I feared, I am not a small guy.

@ Free Spirit - Good luck on your testing. I studied (not too hard) with the program here on TT, took my test and passed everything first try, even HAZMAT. Make sure to have an original birth certificate with state embossed stamp (raised imprint) on it.

Hazmat is such a .....

I live in Arkansas and just took my CDL-A permit tests Tuesday 2/18. They allowed me to take the HAZMAT endorsement test even though I have not done anything with TSA yet. I guess each state is different.

Whats the best way to get a job starting out in trucking if you have a felony on your record

Hey Ron,

From what I have read in my search about trucking, I have found that you need to be as honest as possible while applying to a trucking company. They will do extensive background checks, and if they find something you did not reveal yourself, they will pass you up. Also I have read that it all depends on the company and their policies, also dependent on the felony. Make sure to let them know about any possible issues while you were a juvenile as well, in case they go back that far. Also any traffic issues, minor or not. I am not a seasoned driver, still in the research and getting my CDL phase myself, but I hope that what I have read will help you out.