Profile For Rookie_the_Great

Rookie_the_Great's Info

San Diego, CA

Considering A Career

7 months, 2 weeks ago

Rookie_the_Great's Bio

A recent graduate from trucking school, looking for the right city and company to start. So as I am called today, RTG (ready to go)!!

Posted:  4 days, 10 hours ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

My apologies I forgot you have your CDL already. Use this link to Apply For Truck Driving Jobs. There are also some not included such as Swift, C.R. England, CFI and Werner to name a few.

There are also LTL companies such as Fed Ex Freight, ABF and others that often times take someone fresh out of school. Be warned that although you'll be home daily these jobs are typically not ideal for rookies simply because they don't have the skills yet. We have members that have thrived in this environment and many others that have washed out. I'm not sure if LTL would be wise at this time though given the current economy. I've seen here and elsewhere that freight volume has dropped quite a bit and they operate on a seniority based system. It may affect you regularly having work available but that's something Bobcat, Banks, Delco Dave and a few others would be better informed of if it interests you.

Good luck.

Thanks! I totally understand what you mean and I personally do not look for a home daily job at all. It is going to be lots of wasted time, energy and gas commuting home back and forth daily. I don't even have a car for daily commuting. As you said, not good for a new driver. But seems most of big carriers require driver to pickup and drop off truck in their terminal/hub during home time, for example Schneider told me that if I cannot get the San Diego position due to not having a teammate, I can choose San Bernardino or La Puente CA positions, but I have to drop off and pickup truck there. For someone like me without a car, it means over two or three hundred dollars of Uber/Lyft expense every week or so for being home less than 36 hours! 36 hours or even two days is not that much that I rely on public transportation for visiting home. And I absolutely cannot even think about moving somewhere else, my rent and living condition is unbelievably low in this specific place.

Posted:  4 days, 10 hours ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

(couldn't edit main post so I add it here) I really don't want to deal with dropping/picking up truck in another town in CA and spend money (don't have car right now) and my home time driving back and forth to San Diego CA. If you know good carriers with terminal in San Diego CA who train zero experienced drivers, please let me know.

Howdy, RTG !! If you mentioned, I missed it. M or F ?

Also; this is why we usually suggest Company Sponsored Training !! Right after you graduate, you are in a truck!

I'm trying to get StevoReno to reply; he's out that way. . . but until then, have you looked into CalArk? One of our 'former' members here on TT started with TransAm, and moved on to Cal Ark. She's now reporting her journey on Twitter (sadly not here!) but you can look her up; Ashley Loucks is her twitter handle.

Marten Transport is another great one; Harvey C.'s son drives for them, out of Cali. He was a 'freshie,' as well.

There's many more, but that's a start!

Best wishes, I'll keep thinking up more, haha!

~ Anne ~

Thanks! CalArk does not have San Diego area positions but applied for TransAm :) Marten seems a great company, working on my application now! and they have positions very close to me :) Also in a couple of other forums, people were so nice to me too and gave me some carrier names. I am researching about them and apply right away if I find myself fit for it.

Posted:  4 days, 13 hours ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

Posted:  4 days, 14 hours ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

Where does this dedicated route go to? To me it sounds long distance, which is fine but if it ends up in New York City or Boston or Washington DC, people may not want to run team to those places.

Laura

Good question and my bad, I didn't ask :( He said it's 11 day otr, 3 days home time.

Posted:  4 days, 14 hours ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

Hello everyone Schneider has a dedicated route from San Diego CA but it requires me to have teammate, and they don't offer anyone. I'm a zero experience driver and I will go thru their 3 weeks training in Phoenix AZ. If you are interested, we can chat n meet up to see if we are good matches. Please text me at 56I-765-70I7.

Posted:  6 days, 9 hours ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Hello everyone It took a while but I am back in the US and settled down in San Diego! I will review the comments again in a minute but if there was anything new, please let me know.

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Thnx everyone, I was busy and could not follow up with the thread for the past couple of days. So far I am fully focused on finding a reasonable and affordable accommodation and did not apply for jobs (as where I am going to live may or may not affect who I can work for). So far my options in South CA and South FL were either too expensive, long term commitment or far from city/public transportation access (as I don't have car yet and it may take some time to find a good used one). If I give up South CA/South FL due to no options left, I will check Texas or Midwest states that some of you suggested here or so.

(If I skip reacting/responding to some parts of comments, it is only due to heavy Trucker Language being used. If something sounds very important, I will make sure to ask for clarification)

@Anne A: Thnx, I already have Vegas residence and mailing address.

@BK: Thnx, other two languages I speak and a few more that I can somewhat/barely understand/read are all tied up with stereotypes, so I used to get away from heated conversations by not mentioning them. Used to like chit chat when I was new in the US but realized after years that it does not benefit me or others. Schneider is in my list to contact as soon as I sort out my accommodation. But an active user in TTR direct messaged me and told me that Schneider (pay) is not as good as what they say?! To be honest, as a starter all I care for beginning is ""Good Training"" and ""Sane Starting Work Condition (so I don't burn out like others)"". Money can come later... I personally witnessed how these two factors affected three of acquaintances and friend of friends. Two burnt out and left (masculine young guys) and one survived (very petit young lady). The employer of the lady started easy on her and invested on training her, the result was she is still driving for them for the past 4 years and would never ever think about going to another company for pay raise (despite of getting offers right and left, specially because of being a popular young lady!).

@george B: Thnx

@G-Town: Thnx

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Rookie, my comment was not intended to insult you, merely a couple of observations for you to think about. Now we know that your screen name is meant to be humorous, which is fine. But subsequent readers may not read your explanation and understand your intent.

Otherwise, I know everyone who participates in this forum wishes new drivers success. Hopefully your background will serve you well as you move forward. Let us know how things develop for you as you progress. New voices always make the forum more interesting. Questions are always good.

No problem my friend, I didn't mean anything too. Very probably my bad, as I might not be clear enough with my English as a third language. So far looking for the right temporary accommodation for the next a few months to be able to comfortably return back to the states and apply for job. Probably I'll be back here with my goofy questions after settling down. πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

I dont know if you are aware of this but, you can take home time anywhere you want. It doesn't matter what your "home address" is. Your "home" can be a p.o. box in Nevada. You can take home time close to friends and family anywhere in the country as long as you have a place to park your truck.

Hope this helps...

Thnx for the info. Yes, I know about it but I have been mobile and nomad style for a long time, so I really need to have a place for sometime until I really feel comfortable with job!

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

A couple of observations here.

First, you say you get bored and depressed easily. I see Banks flagged this comment as worrisome. There is no doubt that truck driving can frequently be very boring. Even with streaming music and podcasts and audio books, boredom is always a problem. And yes, boredom can lead to depression. Depression can lead to a short career. Very few people realize what a challenge it is to sit in the drivers seat for nearly 11 hours day after day and drive down generic interstates. That is one reason turnover is so high in the trucking industry. So, if you already have a problem with that, truck driving is not your answer. Truck driving is like a puppy mill. Companies keep a constant flow of candidates coming in the front door because many rookies underestimated their suitability and exit via the back door. Relatively few actually survive long term to become big dogs.

Second, I kind of cringe to see your screen name. The word rookie combined with the word great is not the wisest choice. Of course it’s your choice to make, but you might want to reconsider. All the moderators here are great drivers and have great experience, but none have the word great after their screen names. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but no rookie is great.

Not many people can live the nomad life style that I lived for the past decade. That is what gives me the motivation to give this job a try, and no one is going to hire me unless he has the heart and resources to handle employee management challenges. If there was a sure way to pick the best driver on the spot without being worry about risks involved, literally anyone with some money to buy trucks could turn into a carrier-employer. I'm not the worst, I'm not the best but just a regular human being with his flaws and imperfections. Many years ago, I used to be a HR admin for a car factory overseas. If I had the same attitude towards new comers and zero experience applicants, I won't have the chance of knowing great people and future supervisors and managers. Constantly hearing "OMG! You said this or that so you definitely cannot do this job, forget about it, go home, etc" is not going to help me, so I would rather to focus on how I can lower the risk of failure with educating myself and finding the right employer and job in the trucking.

Sorry if anyone took offense of my profile name. I thought maybe a bit of humor doesn't hurt and also better to have a memorable profile name so members can easily know who is posting the comment or asking questions. Supposedly the humorous part didn't work but seems it was really memorable!!

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

For the love of godshocked.png

My oops or some else's oops?!

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

How are you applying for jobs without a stable address? Are you using the address in Nevada? That can be problematic because a company that hires in Nevada, may not hire in Florida or California. Florida is a state that many companies do not hire out of.

I get depressed and bored very quickly

How are you going to handle living in a truck by yourself not going where you want to go, but where they tell you to go?

I had the misunderstanding of I can be living anywhere as a trucker and my employer does not really care, so yes, I was using Vegas address despite of having no intention to live there. Now I am fully aware that returning back to the states asap and settling somewhere has higher priority than finding a job. I am going to use my next couple of weeks until being back in states to educate myself tho.

As an avid traveler (I have been travelling for most of my life), I very likely have no problem being in places and sleeping in a truck. But spending my one week of home time in a small town that I don't know anyone is not going to be easy for me. In fact one reason that I chose to be a trucker is desire to be in many places than being stuck in one...

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Your biggest hurdle is employment span, being outside the US ain't helping in your search either lol.......Best bet....

Thanx, I am starting to understand how stuff works in trucking HR world!

You could always read Brett's book: Becoming A Truck Driver: The Raw Truth About Truck Driving

Are you familiar with our logbook rules? :

Learn The Logbook Rules (HOS) . . Old School and Brett re'vamped this recently.

Couldn't hurt to do this, too! : Apply For Truck Driving Jobs

Wish you well; you keep changing your name...confuses us old(er) folks!

~ Anne & Tom ~

Thank you Anne! I totally understand that rookies like me can be very unintentionally annoying to professional members here, by their not so great questions, lack of basic knowledge and common sense in trucking industry annnnd even changing their profile info LooooL Sorry, I just realized how perfect is this forum so changed my Avatar and Profile Name to something more memorable, so older members remember me easily in the future. I'm not going to change it ever again, promise!! :D

I took note of all these links and info you and others posted and I'm carefully reading/researching about them. I got some more from couple of other forums. Such an amazing supportive community! So far I learned that I need to get my ticket and return to the US asap. Not knowing where I am going to live/settle definitely is going to hurt my job hunting efforts and also confuse my prospect employer.

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Thanx, I am starting to understand how stuff works in trucking HR world!

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

@Banks (sorry, quote to quoted reply did not work well, so I post as a plain text)

I have contacts in multiple cities in south/central Florida and south California who can help me find somewhat affordable accommodation (in comparison to the prices in Craigslist etc), for example I am talking with one who is willing to rent a room for $600 including utilities in Orlando. So I would rather to live where I like, if possible. As a single guy, I get depressed and bored very quickly if I live where I don't really belong to.

It was very complicated situation which I don't want to get into its bitter details but back then I was working with someone else's car and mostly for Amazon. I got covid multiple times and did not work voluntarily or sent back home due to having symptoms and finally lost the car due to non-payment. I was on unemployment for a few months because of being gigworker (not a regular employee). It was tough time since end of unemployment benefit till when I managed to pay for a beater and trucking school, thru stock day trading with loaned money (the riskiest most stupid thing someone can do but I was lucky this time in my life!)

Posted:  1 month ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Hello everyone 43 yo, single male, got my cdl with manual (just to have no restriction, not really into driving it), tanker, double/triple a couple of months ago in Vegas and immediately had to make an overseas travel. Planning to return back to the US in a month (or even earlier) and don't have an accommodation in Vegas anymore, so I have choose the right city to settle and right employer with good training simultaneously.

# My city preference is renting a room somewhere in central/south Florida or south California, preferably with decent public transportation, because I had to sell the car before travel and it may not be a quick decision to buy another one in this bad market. As a single guy renting a room, probably the difference between a cheap or somewhat expensive city should not be more than a few hundred dollars, and I may manage it, if being smart. (I've never been to the Texas, but if it is going to be absolutely good for my career, I may consider it too, but Texas is big, so it matters where in Texas!?)

# My job preference is an organized reliable company, with good trainers who are helpful and not rushing into stuff. I really want to learn to become a professional driver, proceed to much specific types of trucking in the future, and not to burn out and quit like a couple of acquaintances whom left the business due to very bad start. At least for now pay is not a critical factor for me.

The only company I applied so far was Prime which rejected me in less than 24 hours! When I asked them kindly why, they said because I don't have a work history!! This is while I applied as an inexperienced driver needing training, and in the past 3 years that they were asking for my employment history, not much was going on in my life due to pandemic, other than some driving for Uber/Amazon and then being on unemployment and then going to trucking school. I really didn't understand what they were really expecting and somewhat assumed that they rather put their training resources on someone who gets cdl thru them, so they can push them for a year of commitment (Am I right?)

The problem is, now I'm a bit scared that I move back to the US, to the wrong city, commit to the room rent and keep applying to the wrong companies, which either will reject, or I'll end up hating/quitting.

Sorry for long post but your I really need some good advice to stick with.