Profile For Rookie_the_Great

Rookie_the_Great's Info

San Diego, CA

Considering A Career

1 year ago

Rookie_the_Great's Bio

A recent graduate from trucking school, looking for the right city and company to start. So as I am called today, RTG (ready to go)!!

Posted:  4 months ago

My horrible experience with Schneider training center in Phoenix AZ, read before you apply

Ok everyone, enough for here as my post get deleted because someone feel so. The point of this post was letting those applying to Schneider in Phoenix AZ know what they wil go thru. If they are desperate enough to be ok with it, I wish them good luck. For the rest of you guys here, I hope you respect your profession a bit more. Do not settle for any and every crap just because you are a trucker, you are tough, you are the real man. Do not assume that everyone needs to go thru the same pain as yours, to be an awesome trucker like "you". As long as majority of you don't change your mindset, this career gonna be looked down by others and you will be treated like a rescue from homeless shelter by your employer. Bye

Posted:  4 months ago

I'm censored here

Stop lashing out at us and talk to us with respect. This is a repeating pattern with you. You did it to the staff at Schneider, to the hotel staff, and now to us. Everyone is trying to give you the help and the opportunities you need to succeed, and yet you spit in their faces and then blame those same people for your lack of success. Truth is, you are your own worst enemy. I hope you can see it's time to change your tactics.

You are absolutely wrong but I'm definitely regretting that I kept shut up for two weeks and didn't talk until the day before last day that I asked instructor to not to scream and also asked another instructor to let me change food because this food truck keeps serving a very inferior food. These two were ground for termination. I wish that I would confront earlier and save time/money for myself and them. I don't see a respect from majority of members here either. Mostly very toxic mindset of you gotta go thru the ... I went thru too and also shut up and appreciate whatever they give you. No thnx.

Posted:  4 months ago

Many of us on here are veterans, both military and in trucking. We have been there and done that already in our careers. We are experienced professionals that freely offer our time here to help educate new and prospective new drivers.

So far all I am seeing is someone that thinks they can walk through the door and be entitled with zero too offer. My best advice for the OP is too find another line of work. Trucking is not for everyone. Most successful truckers are type A personalities and are problem solvers, not whiners and complainers.

I'm censored here so doesn't worth to waste my time and type while someone feels that he can publish or not.

Posted:  4 months ago

Still waiting for a meaningful reply, You keep talking’ smack and I’ll keep deleting…

Maybe another traumatized veteran like my instructors and took offense of my post, right? Ok, Good luck, you're the good guy

Posted:  4 months ago

mis-naming meals (like grilled chicken sandwich for ground chicken patty

My favorite complaint of the whole rant!!

I wrote it because it was obvious Someone in operation center management level has a deal with that food truck and god knows how much they were billing Schneider for the trash they were serving trainees. You or some people maybe ok to be put under 120 degrees sun for 7 hours a day and fed crap in the name of training, but it doesn't apply everybody. Either someone was billing Schneider and actually were not supposed to be served that, or Schneider really cannot afford a decent man's meal for its trainees abd better to reconsider if they really want/need more employees.

Posted:  4 months ago

Hmmm Well, I have kept my Calif license since I was 16. Even when living in tri-state area of Ca/Az/Nev. Lived in Az 10 years with it, worked at Ford dealer in Needles, Cal. So test drove cars n trucks on Cali part of I-40 . Only issue I ever had was got stopped by NHP in Laughlin, NV 1 night. Cop said, why do you have Cali license with an Az address??? I explained why, he was a smartass, said "You wouldn't get away with that in Nevada", I said, well officer, I don't live in Nevada, DO I ?? lol

Really I don't get why Schneider would care either way, since once you have your CDL it will be for whatever "home" state you have as a place of residency,??

They were kind of Our or No Way. I bet they cannot treat experienced drinew hire or not the same way, so they were putting all their ego on zeeo experienced new hires. They can enjoy their high turn over rate... Train new drivers, Make them hate you, Loose them as soon as they find a better or even similar opportunity, rinse and repeat!!

Posted:  4 months ago

Welcome to Phoenix, it has a very bad homeless issue, still not as bad as Los Angeles, or California......PERIOD.....

AND Junkies wandering all over. Phoenix was a shythole since the mid 70s, we stopped to see old neighbors, on our way to Dallas for Xmas.....Never forget how ghetto it was even way back then lol

So, after all the complaining about Schneider etc, you failed to say if you finished training and are driving with em? Lol

No, instructor was treating me poorly and I was already fed up. Asked him kindly to stop screaming but stay calm and teach me stuff, because it is not fair that I burn under sun and get humiliated and still learn stuff from YouTube. He walked to the manager and reported me as an unsafe driver! Their policy is testing trainee with another instructor to see where is the problem, but they were already picking at my CA new residency and NV license, so they made an excuse and sent me home. Worst Waste of Two Weeks in My Whole Life.

Posted:  4 months ago

The Ugly: Our breakfast at hotel was always stone cold bagles from freezer, thumb size cream cheese, one smallest miniature size apple or orange (you need to realook for something that small) and a fruit yogurt that was more like a edible vaseline. Drink choice was world worst coffee in Styrofoam cups!! or cup of semi-synthetic orange juice.

Lunch for the first week was choice of an OK but not big sandwich and a soda. If you're medium or large guy like me, you needed to keep buying stuff for your breakfast and lunch from their self-service snack and deli shop. I spend average $80 per week from my pocket.

Second week lunch was horrible. It was a from Mexican style food truck. Lowest quality of food (undercooked food, not clean looking kitchen), misnaming meals (like grilled chicken sandwich for ground chicken patty) and smallest portion. Trainers absolutely took offense when I expressed my opinion about it.

Their trucks are good but not all of them have refrigerator, microwave or TV. I have been told in the phone interview that I will get a truck with these in the class they told us that only team drivers will get a new or furnished truck.

Also in the phone interview they told me that I am going to get $16 an hour for training but it turned into $15 an hour in the class. By cutting eight to nine dollars a day plus almost an hour of unpaid time being in class, you literally pay for your own daily food and commuting!!

I might forgot lots of other things but I definitely warn zero experience drivers about joining Schneider. As an experienced driver, your experience may be totally different but they treat zero experienced ones really bad and unfair.

If you have to go thru their two-week program, specifically in Phoenix AZ, I suggest you walk away. You are not there with a paid-off CDL in pocked to be abused and pre-trip inspecting tens of times in two weeks. They don't even teach anything related to driving and keep it for 3rd week on road. So if they let you go on week 2 or you leave, you literally learned zero. They are also very strict about having an in-state license according to your choice of home terminal. This unfortunate adventure cost me more than $3500 so far and counting

Posted:  4 months ago

The Good: Application and phone interview process is smooth. I applied online, they contacted me and after a brief interview scheduled me for main interview for next 30 days! I kept calling every 3 hours every day until I got a recruiter who was free so interviewed me 28 days earlier! They cover the air fare including luggage or rental car/private car expenses from home to training center. Hotel was provided for two weeks. It was single occupant room and to be honest nice, clean, with fridge and microwave. Hotel had not that great pool and jacuzzi. Also there was a free washing machine with detergent but dryer was intentionally left broken for past months. There are losts of fast food restaurants, one dollar store, one grocery and one of the biggest/nicest laundromats of Phoenix in walking distance.

The Bad: They gave me hard time for gas reimbursement. Despite not being told in advance, they were asking for departure fill up receipt too. They were thinking that they can prevent gas fee scam by trainees! I explained them multiple times in a five years old language that it doesn't make sense because you really don't know if he filled tank 100% in departure, but they didn't get it and I gave up.

Training was in Phoenix AZ in the first half of July. 115 degrees in shade, muuch more under sun. Despite being picked up from hotel on sharp 5:45am and it was 15 minutes ride to training center, classes started on 6:30am. Later I realized that we are getting paid for that wasted 30 minutes (but probably trainers were getting paid to sit there and have long breakfast).

Hotel was Green Tree Hotel in the most unsafe part of Phoenix AZ. Hotel is mostly contracted to trucking companies so hotel staff were not giving a ... shoot to anything or anyone, very rude and literally treating trainees like less than a human. Homeless people are everywhere and you probably never saw such a big population of young and aggressive looking Homeless people in one place before. They camp under big tree in front of hotel or wandering everywhere. You have to go thru them no matter you want to walk, laundromat, fast food, dollar store, grocery, etc.

I caught them using drug or fainting under drug influence multiple times in hotel parking lot under shade. Reported to front desk and they did nothing.

Hotel parking lot is very unsafe due to homeless people and demographic of majority of guests. They don't have day time security guard and night shift guard stays mostly inside. Rooms are going to be double occupancy soon. Hit and Run in parking lot is very common, heard about at least three cases and guess what, one of them was my own car.

There are very few security cameras and hotel did it's best to make me give up trying to know who hit my car. They made me to wait for cops for 6 hours in the lobby (because they wouldn't call me if I wouldn't be there) while they knew cops are not going to issue police report.

They played game a few days and finally after I engaged Schneider management, they told me that we are going to check cameras. Next day they called me and told me that there is nothing visible in the footage. I asked for proof and they said sorry that is what it is we cannot show you anything. Schneider didn't do anything and now I am going to fix car from my own pocket, a $3,000 repair. This hotel does not even have a corporate phone number to complain.

If something happens you have to deal with front desk which are very rude and unhelpful. I managed to call a couple of phone numbers to supposedly headquarter of this hotel corporation but they were all for reservation. They told me that they don't even have a phone number to headquarter and if there is any problem I have to talk with the front desk and hotel manager. Hotel manager even didn't meet with me after this incident.

Training was literally non-existent other than doing pre-trip inspection and coupling and uncoupling over and over and over. We had to be waiting most of the times understand to observe what others are doing. Trainers were very annoying, rude and unhelpful. I think I did more than 15 couple and ucouple just because he didn't like the way I touched the airline or the way I climbed to the truck we just started learning how to park and driving Street in the last 3 days of the two weeks training.

Before that it was being under 115-120 degrees sun and doing pre-trip pre-trip pre-trip. Our pre-trip inspection was taking almost 25 minutes and they were very serious about it, but their own drivers in the yard we're not doing it at all or they were just walking around the trailer and tractor.

My trainer who I call him here Mr Darr__, was very verbally abusive especially when he was trying to teach me how to park or how to drive in the intersection. He was screaming and bumping on the dashboard or the body of trailer to tell me why I am wrong.

He kept invalidating whatever we learned in the trucking school, telling us they are wrong and we do it differently at Schneider. The second day of our parking training I told him that I was not getting the concept of parking the way he was trying to teach so I watched and learned it in YouTube. He got really mad!

Rest in comment

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

My apologies I forgot you have your CDL already. Use this link to Apply For Truck Driving Jobs. There are also some not included such as Swift, C.R. England, CFI and Werner to name a few.

There are also LTL companies such as Fed Ex Freight, ABF and others that often times take someone fresh out of school. Be warned that although you'll be home daily these jobs are typically not ideal for rookies simply because they don't have the skills yet. We have members that have thrived in this environment and many others that have washed out. I'm not sure if LTL would be wise at this time though given the current economy. I've seen here and elsewhere that freight volume has dropped quite a bit and they operate on a seniority based system. It may affect you regularly having work available but that's something Bobcat, Banks, Delco Dave and a few others would be better informed of if it interests you.

Good luck.

Thanks! I totally understand what you mean and I personally do not look for a home daily job at all. It is going to be lots of wasted time, energy and gas commuting home back and forth daily. I don't even have a car for daily commuting. As you said, not good for a new driver. But seems most of big carriers require driver to pickup and drop off truck in their terminal/hub during home time, for example Schneider told me that if I cannot get the San Diego position due to not having a teammate, I can choose San Bernardino or La Puente CA positions, but I have to drop off and pickup truck there. For someone like me without a car, it means over two or three hundred dollars of Uber/Lyft expense every week or so for being home less than 36 hours! 36 hours or even two days is not that much that I rely on public transportation for visiting home. And I absolutely cannot even think about moving somewhere else, my rent and living condition is unbelievably low in this specific place.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

(couldn't edit main post so I add it here) I really don't want to deal with dropping/picking up truck in another town in CA and spend money (don't have car right now) and my home time driving back and forth to San Diego CA. If you know good carriers with terminal in San Diego CA who train zero experienced drivers, please let me know.

Howdy, RTG !! If you mentioned, I missed it. M or F ?

Also; this is why we usually suggest Company Sponsored Training !! Right after you graduate, you are in a truck!

I'm trying to get StevoReno to reply; he's out that way. . . but until then, have you looked into CalArk? One of our 'former' members here on TT started with TransAm, and moved on to Cal Ark. She's now reporting her journey on Twitter (sadly not here!) but you can look her up; Ashley Loucks is her twitter handle.

Marten Transport is another great one; Harvey C.'s son drives for them, out of Cali. He was a 'freshie,' as well.

There's many more, but that's a start!

Best wishes, I'll keep thinking up more, haha!

~ Anne ~

Thanks! CalArk does not have San Diego area positions but applied for TransAm :) Marten seems a great company, working on my application now! and they have positions very close to me :) Also in a couple of other forums, people were so nice to me too and gave me some carrier names. I am researching about them and apply right away if I find myself fit for it.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

Where does this dedicated route go to? To me it sounds long distance, which is fine but if it ends up in New York City or Boston or Washington DC, people may not want to run team to those places.

Laura

Good question and my bad, I didn't ask :( He said it's 11 day otr, 3 days home time.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Looking for teammate from San Diego CA

Hello everyone Schneider has a dedicated route from San Diego CA but it requires me to have teammate, and they don't offer anyone. I'm a zero experience driver and I will go thru their 3 weeks training in Phoenix AZ. If you are interested, we can chat n meet up to see if we are good matches. Please text me at 56I-765-70I7.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Hello everyone It took a while but I am back in the US and settled down in San Diego! I will review the comments again in a minute but if there was anything new, please let me know.

Posted:  6 months ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Thnx everyone, I was busy and could not follow up with the thread for the past couple of days. So far I am fully focused on finding a reasonable and affordable accommodation and did not apply for jobs (as where I am going to live may or may not affect who I can work for). So far my options in South CA and South FL were either too expensive, long term commitment or far from city/public transportation access (as I don't have car yet and it may take some time to find a good used one). If I give up South CA/South FL due to no options left, I will check Texas or Midwest states that some of you suggested here or so.

(If I skip reacting/responding to some parts of comments, it is only due to heavy Trucker Language being used. If something sounds very important, I will make sure to ask for clarification)

@Anne A: Thnx, I already have Vegas residence and mailing address.

@BK: Thnx, other two languages I speak and a few more that I can somewhat/barely understand/read are all tied up with stereotypes, so I used to get away from heated conversations by not mentioning them. Used to like chit chat when I was new in the US but realized after years that it does not benefit me or others. Schneider is in my list to contact as soon as I sort out my accommodation. But an active user in TTR direct messaged me and told me that Schneider (pay) is not as good as what they say?! To be honest, as a starter all I care for beginning is ""Good Training"" and ""Sane Starting Work Condition (so I don't burn out like others)"". Money can come later... I personally witnessed how these two factors affected three of acquaintances and friend of friends. Two burnt out and left (masculine young guys) and one survived (very petit young lady). The employer of the lady started easy on her and invested on training her, the result was she is still driving for them for the past 4 years and would never ever think about going to another company for pay raise (despite of getting offers right and left, specially because of being a popular young lady!).

@george B: Thnx

@G-Town: Thnx

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

Rookie, my comment was not intended to insult you, merely a couple of observations for you to think about. Now we know that your screen name is meant to be humorous, which is fine. But subsequent readers may not read your explanation and understand your intent.

Otherwise, I know everyone who participates in this forum wishes new drivers success. Hopefully your background will serve you well as you move forward. Let us know how things develop for you as you progress. New voices always make the forum more interesting. Questions are always good.

No problem my friend, I didn't mean anything too. Very probably my bad, as I might not be clear enough with my English as a third language. So far looking for the right temporary accommodation for the next a few months to be able to comfortably return back to the states and apply for job. Probably I'll be back here with my goofy questions after settling down. 🙏🙏🙏

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

As an avid traveler (I have been travelling for most of my life), I very likely have no problem being in places and sleeping in a truck. But spending my one week of home time in a small town that I don't know anyone is not going to be easy for me.

I dont know if you are aware of this but, you can take home time anywhere you want. It doesn't matter what your "home address" is. Your "home" can be a p.o. box in Nevada. You can take home time close to friends and family anywhere in the country as long as you have a place to park your truck.

Hope this helps...

Thnx for the info. Yes, I know about it but I have been mobile and nomad style for a long time, so I really need to have a place for sometime until I really feel comfortable with job!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

A couple of observations here.

First, you say you get bored and depressed easily. I see Banks flagged this comment as worrisome. There is no doubt that truck driving can frequently be very boring. Even with streaming music and podcasts and audio books, boredom is always a problem. And yes, boredom can lead to depression. Depression can lead to a short career. Very few people realize what a challenge it is to sit in the drivers seat for nearly 11 hours day after day and drive down generic interstates. That is one reason turnover is so high in the trucking industry. So, if you already have a problem with that, truck driving is not your answer. Truck driving is like a puppy mill. Companies keep a constant flow of candidates coming in the front door because many rookies underestimated their suitability and exit via the back door. Relatively few actually survive long term to become big dogs.

Second, I kind of cringe to see your screen name. The word rookie combined with the word great is not the wisest choice. Of course it’s your choice to make, but you might want to reconsider. All the moderators here are great drivers and have great experience, but none have the word great after their screen names. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but no rookie is great.

Not many people can live the nomad life style that I lived for the past decade. That is what gives me the motivation to give this job a try, and no one is going to hire me unless he has the heart and resources to handle employee management challenges. If there was a sure way to pick the best driver on the spot without being worry about risks involved, literally anyone with some money to buy trucks could turn into a carrier-employer. I'm not the worst, I'm not the best but just a regular human being with his flaws and imperfections. Many years ago, I used to be a HR admin for a car factory overseas. If I had the same attitude towards new comers and zero experience applicants, I won't have the chance of knowing great people and future supervisors and managers. Constantly hearing "OMG! You said this or that so you definitely cannot do this job, forget about it, go home, etc" is not going to help me, so I would rather to focus on how I can lower the risk of failure with educating myself and finding the right employer and job in the trucking.

Sorry if anyone took offense of my profile name. I thought maybe a bit of humor doesn't hurt and also better to have a memorable profile name so members can easily know who is posting the comment or asking questions. Supposedly the humorous part didn't work but seems it was really memorable!!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

For the love of godshocked.png

My oops or some else's oops?!