Comments By Christopher J.

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u422/cjohnson30377/IMG_0004_zps2497cdc5.jpg avatar

Lost license to child support will this be an issue to get hired

Here in AZ if you already have a CDL they cannot suspend your CDL for child support its your only way of making a living on the other hand a judge can set a timetable on to when you need to be employed and if not met fine you.But you did state that you got your regular license suspended so yeah could be difficult road ahead.

Can I still get my cdl with an arrest six years ago?

Hey guys! Question from a newbie here. I was provisionally hired from swift to do their cdl training program and then the mentor program, however I may be doing a school locally (so I can still work at my current job and make money). So I'm going to be starting trucking school this month and I am wondering if I can still get a hazmat certification if I had an arrest six years ago. The arrest was the following circumstances: I had driven my boyfriend ( toxic relationship) at the time to this guys house. Well the boyfriend and his friends ended up beating up the guy and his girlfriend and robbing them. Because I was at the scene, there was a warrant out for my arrest and I turned myself in. Any how I stayed in jail three nights and I was let go with no convictions and no charges. I know the arrest is going to show up on my livescan fingerprint, and I don't want to waste my time ( or money) if I am going to get denied for the hazmat cert. Other than that I have no criminal history. I am also wondering if swift I'd going to deny me a position based on this after I have completed the training and am background checked during their orientation. That's why I'm thinking of going to a local truck driving school for $1700 versus swift training for $3900. Well swift pays you back if you work for them for two years, but they can also put you through training and then deny you a job. Leaving you in debt for $3900. Anyways I really want to get my hazmat and doubles and triples endorsements so I have a variety of options but am wondering if I need to wait the four more years until the arrest falls off my record and just get my cdl for now. Thanks for listening guys! Any and all advice is welcome!

you should be good if their was no convictions I had a resisting arrest in 2011 and got my hazmat think your fine

Looking for new job

Looking for new career is 60 years old to old to get back in to truck driving in great health

thats the new 20 your fine

Being a Felon & Getting a truck driving job

Try local road construction companies, cement or sand and gravel companies. You don't have to go otr to use your cdl.

this is true and in most cases it pays better than OTR

Pay for school vs. company paid?

Generally if you go company you have to pay it back by staying with that company for 1yr or more if you pay out of pocket your the boss

Pay for school vs. company paid?

If you can afford to pay out of pocket thats the way to go you dont have to take company BS

Will a school accept me NOW??

To make you feel better hair test if your an infrequent smoker and have a clean system for a month straight would not even register I know this for a fact my (sister) does such testing so throw that 6 months BS out the window

2 Weeks OTR with David

Really enjoy your OTR write ups kinda makes me miss OTR. Not really I couldnt stand it but you make it sound like a piece of cake good for you man be safe out there 2 YRS you know you could probably get any local job you want by now and make more than you do OTR especially with a Hazmat

Hazard lights at railroad crossings

Also if you have only a permit you should not be driving with a Hazmat you only get a Hazmat when you apply and send in fingerprints and and pass your final road test not to mention written test at the DMV its a Homeland Security Background check and that would be my evidence since I got a Hazmat cost about $160 I hope your not driving without one and your hauling Jet A fuel you get caught you can kiss your permit goodbye and get a hefty fine and probably lose your chance at getting your license for quite sometime dont mean to be so harsh but tell your company you might save them some money

Hazard lights at railroad crossings

Where I work has a lot of differing opinions about what is and is not correct and being very new to this (only have my permit), I've been trying to weed through some of the opinion and get to the facts.

Which leads me to this question: Are HAZMAT tankers (JET-A specifically) required to use their hazard lights when they come to a stop at a railroad? I had one driver tell me that if you don't you can have your license pulled for 6 months and while I've been trying to google it nothing has come up.

Any of the pros on here have the real answer with evidence to back it up? Thank you in advance :)

absolutely Jet A Fuel for planes ah yeah and you stop about 50 ft before the tracks roll down windows turn off all noise makers and listen for train make sure you also have your 4 way flashers on when coast is clear keeping your windows down all noise makers off gradually proceed to go over tracks do not shift over tracks get up to the speed limit and then you can go about your business fines are different in alot of states and if DOT catches you yeah you probably will get your license yanked

2nd accident in 3 months.

Ouch yeah got to make better decisions dont be to hard on yourself if ya half to go a mile out of your way if your not sure about anything do it

2nd accident in 3 months.

1st mistake you should of learned with your trainer use your right shoulder and as soon as its lined up with the center lines in road making your turn on too you make your turn 2nd yup GOAL but personally if you didnt feel comfortable backing I would have found another spot and when your not rolling go hit up an empty parking lot and practice good luck and dont give up just keep trying you will get it

2nd accident in 3 months.

What are your 2 mistakes?

Pay scale for trucking

Hi all. Just wondering, new to the site. Hopefully, go to school in February for CDL's. I work in a factory now and make decent money working 6 days a week. One company offered 34 cents a mile starting out. On average what would a week of driving to make $700-800 per week.

34 cents I would search around I think you can do better than that but you would have to drive about 2500 miles then take tax out should be around $750

Mixer Concrete Truck Driver

That drum will turn slow while you are driving. If you turn it too fast then the concrete can stay higher on the drum and that is when you get the rocking motion. It looks high but your center of gravity is really very low compared to other trucks.

Thanks Pat

Mixer Concrete Truck Driver

Hey Christopher, I hope this gig works out for you. I understand why people will decide that OTR is not for them - I happen to love the lifestyle, but I also recognize the pitfalls of it and can completely understand why a person would decide against it.

I've a fair amount of experience with concrete work myself. In my sign business I had to calculate the concrete yardage, PSI, and slump for the various pier hole foundations we would put in. Sometimes we were required to have an engineer's stamp on the drawings we would submit for permits with soil load bearing calculations and wind loads so that we would know how large a diameter and how deep our pier holes needed to be for the particular area where we were installing.

I've never driven a mixer, but I have talked to a lot of the drivers that I came in contact with. Here's the one thing that I have always come away with: Dump trucks and Concrete trucks will give you a brand new appreciation for what is considered a safe following distance. Those trucks will often carry just as much or more weight than an eighteen wheeler, yet they have less brakes.

That's the only input I know to give. Watch your following distance with great care - those things do not stop on a dime, always allow some extra room ahead of you and keep your eyes on the lookout to what is going on around you. I wish you the best at your new job!

Thanks Old School great advice will do be safe out there

Mixer Concrete Truck Driver

Hey T&T supporters just wondering if any of you have driven a mixer as I will be starting on Monday. I did the 3 months over the road and found out it was not for me and 6 years out of my life was as a tester for concrete cores and driving heavy equipment for a sand & gravel company here in AZ. I am looking forward to this opportunity and would like some feed back if any of you have done this before I already have an advantage as I know how to eyeball slumps just a little worried about the high center of gravity and the drum in charge while driving.

OWI

Is OWI = DUI? If so you're prolly screwed in trucking for a few years.

never heard of OWI but I am sure it is operating while influenced which means yeah your out of luck for some time

Companies with tankers

Prime also does tankers in the East. I think they only hire from East of Chicago. Give them a thought.

Only one problem. At prime I think you need at least one year otr experience.

the whole 1yr thing is a joke I did three months OTR and got hired locally tanker and hazmat

One Year Ago Today...

I went to the lobby of a hotel, was handed a packet then sent to a class to begin orientation with Averitt. What a year it has been. I have documented on here the woes that I have encountered (and caused) plus some accomplishments too, so I'm not gonna do that again. Instead, I thought I might share some info that I have collected along the way. I was considering going into business for myself after a year...but...

If I were a regional owner operator and paid for my own fuel, I would have spent roughly $60,000. (I used my Rand Mcnally GPS to keep track)

I also had a couple tires replaced, some damage to a trailer, 3 preventive maintenance visits, my Apu worked on a few times, a turbo replacement, 3 trips on a hook, a transmission repair (if I had the same truck) and some mystery electrical work. I have no idea what all this would add up to, but I bet it is around $20,000.

That alone is a lot of cash flow going the wrong way. Let's say I had a truck payment, insurance, tolls, food, showers, scales.... and so on to pay for too. How in the hell do they do it and make any money? Insanity.

Anyway, I will stick with the company option.

It would take a lot of time for me to put down all I have learned this past year in the trucking world so I will just say I'm looking forward to another good year of learning and growing to get me where I want to be in life.

Thanks again for this site and to everyone here who has helped me get this far, you have made the learning process much easier.

stay with Company option better yet get a local food service delivery/Mclanes or CoreMark 60,000-80,000 to start sure beats OTR by a long shot