Comments By Pelican

• Pelican
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
  • Comments:

Previous Page Next Page

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Automatic vs Manual

There are some components that absolutely want you to be able to drive a manual. But it seems like the industry has really moved towards autos.

Pelican

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Fired due to failed inspection? (not placed OOS) need advice please

Man I'm a total rook so take what I say with some salt but I'd think with 22 months verified experience you shouldn't have an issue finding work. If you apply elsewhere maybe explain what happened if they question it.

Pelican

Posted:  4 months ago

Do Parking Tickets go on your MVR?

Let's say I were to park somewhere I shouldn't have and got a warning or Citation out of it.

1. Would I need to report this to my employer? Any other organization? 2. Would this go on my MVR? 3. Do companies look at drivers with parking tickets with suspicion?

To be clear, this is a hypothetical. I was curious about this, however.

Thank you all for your replies on my last thread about backing with the tandems slid back. They were very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Pelican

Posted:  4 months ago

Do you slide your tandems back to back up?

Hello,

Our company policy is to always slide our tandems to the back when we get onto the dock. No issue there.

My question is, when you are actually backing in, are your tandems forward or all the way back. It seems like having them slid back might make it easier to back up, but I'm not sure.

For what it's worth, my trainer always had me back in normally, then open my doors and slide my tandems back after I was already in line for the door.

Pelican

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trailer jumping and puff of smoke at red light.

Well that can't be good.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Parking questions

FWIW, the service stations on the I-80 toll road are my cup of tea. Very nice places.

When in doubt, I'll try to find a rest area before a truck stop. I dunno why but I just find rest areas more serene. Well, some are.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

PSA, DO NOT ASSUME THE FEMALE DRIVER NEEDS OR WANTS YOUR HELP

We live in a world where people have been programmed to be offended by everything.

Man, this needs to be on a billboard or something it's so damn true

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Questions from a total noob

Just try to stay with your first company at least a year. It helps you get a feel for things over time and future employers are less likely to view you as a "job hopper."

And go ahead and fill out this form, it will have you apply for like ten different companies at once.

Apply For Truck Driving Jobs

"Is the school you are going to attend affiliated with any company?"

Thank you for your reply, BK!

No, it's not a company affiliated CDL program. It's a school offered through a local community college. It's a free program and in very high demand so I consider myself mighty lucky to have been accepted... Especially since I don't have to endure what I've been told amounts to endentured servitude once licensed.

Yes... as I understand it, the school will have recruiters available. I just want to ensure that I'm adequately prepared to ask the right questions and make smart decisions so I can become the best driver I can be. I was a boy scout in my youth so I have a deep ingrained need to be prepared. Thank you for the solid advice. I assure that I have no desire to purchase/ lease a truck at this time. Maybe after a few years once I've gained the necessary skills and experience. I want to be confident that I know the ins and outs of the industry, and accrue a sizeable savings before I take that plunge.

I suppose I'll just need to be more patient and see what all the school has to offer. I don't mean to put the cart before the horse. I'm just excited and I want to set myself up for success.

Thank you again for your input and your time. It's greatly appreciated!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Looking for a good company for teams or a legit lease purchase program for a team

Covenant is almost exclusively teams based. They have a good reputation for taking care of their drivers.

Click on this link to learn more about team driving with them.

Good luck, I will never team drive lol

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Preparing to go to trucking school!

I have a buddy that worked for Pam until he had to leave due to medical reasons. Pam is a good company. He spoke really highly of it. Pam does not do flatbed, however.

If you're dead set on that, here's a few flatbed companies that will help you get your CDL. Click on the company to see their program details:

Maverick

TMC Transportation

Cypress Trucking

Swift Transport

Roehl

McElroy Truck Lines ....I'm not sure if McElroy will pay for your schooling or just reimburse you. May want to call about that.

Above are links to each company's cdl program. Swift and Roehl have multiple divisions, including flatbed, but also others like dry van and reefer. (Not sure if Roehl does reefer)

The other 4 I listed, as far as I can tell, are exclusively flatbed bed companies. So there ya go. Many of these companies have physical fitness tests beyond your usual DOT physical due to the demanding nature of the job so just be aware of that.

Previous Page Next Page