Comments By Scott B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truckin.jpg avatar
  • Scott B.
  • Comments:

Reefer, Flatbed, or Tanker

If you are doing food grade tanker you have to deal with... I don't know? Animal smells? Perhaps unpaved roadways in/around farm areas? I never did food grade, so no idea. But there are many types of food grade, so you could be hauling orange juice, milk, liquid sweeteners, liquid chocolate, or even alcohol. So it's not all sunny farmland in food grade, you may going to/from industrial food processing plants.

I've seen a lot of food grade tankers hauling milk which means smooth bore (hope you like to bounce) and hauling chicken blood. I can't imagine that smells very good.

Beginning new career with PTL. (A diary)

Apologies to my legions of adoring fansrofl-1.gif but I haven't updated this post in a couple days. Nothing really new and exciting to post. It seems the favor I get for getting the hot load to Dallas there 4 hours early was a load of beer back to Nashville and then another Amazon load back to Dallas. The beer delivered at 0400 and the Amazon picks up at 1730 giving me 3 hrs less time than the last load. It's now 1720 and no load yet so we'll see. My partner is sitting real close to 29000 out of 30k so I look to be getting another pretty soon. In all honesty, I hope to stay with him beyond his 30k and get upgraded at the same time. Lots of people have been getting upgraded early but it really cuts out this cheap team freight they get out of the phase 2 trainees.

On a side note, I read back through this thread and noticed that I've made a lot of derogatory statements and complaints about my current partner. I'd like to apologize for that because that's not really part of my character. Although he isn't reading this and doesn't know it's being posted, he has no recourse to my complaints and there is only one side of this story being told. The guy is pretty young and probably requires less sleep and less money than I do and it's not right for me to try to pressure him into running as hard as I would like to. I'm sure he's just as sick of me as I am of him. I promise I'll continue to try to add some comedy to this thread but I'm gonna stop getting my chuckles at someone else's expense. Thanks for reading guys, I'll be back.

Top sleeper

Trust me. You don't wanna be up there. It's not just braking that would totally suck. Every little bump and sway gets magnified in he sleeper berth. In the top bunk it's magnified even more. Picture a ball tied to a string being swung in a circle. The distance and speed the ball is traveling is way greater than the string where it's being held. Same thing applies to the top bunk.

Also, look up some videos of trucks striking low bridges. You definitely don't want to be in the top bunk when that happens.

Problems with current HOS rules.

If the demand for drivers keeps increasing and be # of drivers is decreasing, how is it that driver wages stay the same for like what,? last 20 yrs or so? Kinda off topic but the answer is probably so much government regulation causing free market dislocation.

Problems with current HOS rules.

Brett, I think you're reply belongs on a political website. It's wasted on a trucking website. I am getting sick of tired of every facet of American life being dictated by some schmuck from somewhere between Baltimore and Richmond. Politicians have to support stupid regulations lest someone else say they are against safety. See it all the time. If someone doesn't support nationalized healthcare they are said to believe the poor don't deserved healthcare. If they don't want the state to provide contraception they are anti- women. If they don't support ludicrous trucking ndustry regulations they are anti- safety blah blah blah.

Problems with current HOS rules.

And the fact that my fuel stops usually are 8.5 to 9 hrs apart makes it very annoying. That's not really a problem inherent in fmcsa regs though. I don't do restarts either unless I'm forced to wait over a weekend or holiday. What peeves me off is when I do sit for 34 hours, I atleast want my 70 back in consolation. Not sit around for a few more hours waitin on 5 am so I can hit rush hour at whatever city I'm near.

You don't have to hit rush hour at 5 am with everyone else. You can start later in 5 he morning after rush hour. Like 9 or 10 am.

You're right. I don't HAVE to do anything but die and pay taxes. However I was referring to he occasion where I have already been forced to sit for 34 hrs yet haven't completed a restart because it's not 5 am yet. Have 2 choices. Sit that whole time and not get my hours back. Or wait x amount of additional hours until it's 5 am. Oh, and the 3 rd choice you gave. Wait x additional hours for 5 am and then wait 5 MORE hours for rush hour to end. At that point I'm getting close 2 whole days.

One of the few tourist attractions left...

What's up with the Little America place in Wyoming. Is it worth a stop or just another truck stop with a lot of fancy billboards?

P.S. Been to tiger stadium in Baton Rouge before. The SEC really does have some of he finest places in the world to watch a football game. However, I much prefer to watch LSU play at the Georgia Dome for the SEC championship. It cuts down on a lot of LSU fans since there's nowhere to park an air boat. Go Dawgs!!!

Dale Earnhardt is alive and pulls a rock hauler.

I-77 S in WV about MM 81 or 82 there is an exit on a fairly steep downgrade. Two rock haulers where apparently running together when the lead truck decided to take the exit while the 2nd truck was in the left lane for some reason. The 2nd truck slammed his brakes completely locking them up and jerked the wheel to the right. He was now at highway speed traveling across the highway directly into the side of a mountain. Then he hit the taper of the exit and I'll swear til I die that he caught a little bit of air but I can't be 100% sure because of the clouds of dust, tire smoke and brake smoke everywhere. At that point, the driver locks the brakes down again and did what looked like a power slide one would do on a motorcycle back to the left and calmly slowed down for the light at the bottom of the ramp. Wish I had it on a dash cam because the entire maneuver was just unbelievable. The black marks in the highway are still there and if you see them it's fairly easy to re-create the event. My jaw was pretty much laying on top of the shifter boot at the time and I'm pretty sure had I hit the other truck an investigation would show that I was still in cruise control. I've honestly never seen anything like it in a movie, it would be too unbelievable even for Hollywood.

Swift or Prime for CDL Training

On this site you will not likely get a straight answer to that question and that's good because only you can truly answer it. But you will find a lot of Prime drivers on here. They are both excellent choices to start your career.

Problems with current HOS rules.

OTR full time even on your days off? Please share.

Just keep in mind you cannot be truly "homeless." All companies will require that you have a valid permanent address. They have to have somewhere to send the dang company newsletter.rofl-2.gif Uncle Phil's house in Footer Missouri will work but I can't vouch for what Uncle Phil does with the newsletter.

Cooter, Missouri. Stupid auto-correct.

OTR full time even on your days off? Please share.

Beginning new career with PTL. (A diary)

If that guitar youre holding has 4 buttons and is plugged into an Xbox then we are definitely kindred spirits lol. I'm the kinda person who got really confused by truckers saying "deadhead". I thought they were either talking to me directly or generally whining about migrating bands of hippies.

Problems with current HOS rules.

In general, I think elogs and HOS rules are very beneficial to driver health, public safety and the trucking industry as a whole. I do see a couple of flaws and from what I've read, it seems they are in the process of being addressed.

#1: The two 1-5 am rule in a 34 hr restart. This is done in an attempt to reset a truckers circadian rhythms. What's the point? Your CR's will be off when you start the 34 and will be off again within 2 days of completing it. If you're a driver who takes restarts in the road, would it be better to be in a constant battle with your circadian rhythm or just get used to bring off and staying off? Also, this rule forces you to start a 34 at exactly 1900 or you're going to lose time to this silly rule. Being that we so frequently cross time zones, drive all night, sleep during the day at shippers etc. any attempt to regulate circadian rhythm is in vain and detrimental to the goal, preventing fatigued driving.

#2 The 14 hr rule. Let's say I drive the last 100 miles to a receiver. I log 2 hrs in SB then drive 50 miles to a shipper and log 90 mins in SB. Then go 15 miles to another shipper for the rest of a load. They can't load me for 4 more hours so I drive 15 miles and park then go back and get loaded . It takes them 4 hours to get me loaded. I now am unable to drive under 14 hr rule and have done nothing but sleep all day basically. I can't drive because I'm out of hours, I can't sleep because I slept all day and I can't stay where I am because they are about to close and lock the gate. What is one to do? Now if the split sleeper rule was revised so that any period of say 3 or 4 hours on line 2 would pause the 14 hr like 8 hours does then I would be fine. I still think spending 8 consecutive hours in SB should be required in order for it to count as a 10 hr break , you need some uninterrupted sleep but you also need to do it when you haven't just finished sleeping all day, but revising the split sleeper rule could account for some of the really screwed up days like above. As an added bonus, it would keep some whiny trucker videos off of YouTube (you know who I'm talking about).

What do you guys think about current HOS? What are some ways do you think they could improve without sacrificing the goal of safety and fighting fatigued driving?

Question about "E-logs" and hours

I've had a couple times where my 14 hr clock ran out while being loaded or unloaded. My company's logging department instructed me to drive to closest t/s and put "safe haven" in the remarks. The logs dept. Doesn't want to see this kinda thing done a whole lot and I definitely wouldn't want to do it more than once in any 8 day period because that's how far DOT will look back.

Beginning new career with PTL. (A diary)

Asked over the QC if load could be picked up early. Was told by weekend to call Barry. Had no idea who Barry is nor how to call him. Got a # over the QC and called it and was met by gruffness and agitation. Turned out I was instructed to call my load planner on his personal # on his day off. I apologized and said goodbye. About 10 mins later Barry called me back and apologized for his demeanor and explained his frustration with dispatch not answering my questions and pointing me his way. I told him I understood and would never had dialed the number had I known the circumstance. He then told me the load would probably not be picked up one single minute early and that it left a tight time window to get to Mesquite. He then told me that this truck was picked specifically for the load and he was glad he had gotten to speak with me. He actually said "please" when he talked about the load getting there. I replied " you sent me the info on where to get a load and where to take it. I'm gonna do that everytime, Barry. No pleases and sorry's are required. " I'm not sure but I think this is what he wanted to hear. He said the favor would be repaid and mentioned something about "upgrade." I've never been more happier to sit all night in a wal-mart parking lot.

Who is better roehl or bst out of london ohio?

All the above answers are correct. If you make a list of what yo like and don't like about certain companies and compare it against what you desire in a company (a list only you can make ) you will find the answer staring back at you. I know nothing about the London Ohio outfit but I was very disappointed when Roehl denied my application. Seemed like nice company if you don't mind learning to understand Wisconsineese.

Parking and Paying?

I'm not going to implicate myself here but suffice to say doing it 10 times and getting caught once turns out to be profitable. Now if they ever found out about my NRA or JBS memberships that ratio might change to 10/10.

Just Curious

Not sure about your question sir. I've never heard of a 3rd party CDL test. Far as I know they are all administered by the states Public Safety Dept's or divisions thereof.

DOT inspectiond

I have no trolley valve. I sit my kingpin lock on the foot pedal or try to back up to something reflective like a t/s window.