Profile For ColeTrucker

ColeTrucker's Info

FL

Rookie Solo Driver

5 years, 3 months ago

ColeTrucker's Bio

I'm your sister, cousin, aunt, or whatever working as a truck driver. So far I love this job and the community I've met!

Cameras

Wow. You've really jumped head first into the deep end of the cynicism and conspiracy pool in short order my friend! You need a trip to Uganda or Costa Rica to see how the rest of the world lives if you think we have it so bad.

Geesh!

Sometimes I have to laugh at myself too!rofl-3.gif Maybe I should be a storyteller?

Anyhoo, I am first generation American with parents from Panama and my husband is Jamaican. To me, you are comparing apples to oranges because American truckers started out they way things are there now.

As I mentioned, I've never looked into how things worked with the cameras (thank you Errol for giving an example). The time before and after an "event" recording makes sense to me. I'm sure the definition of "event" will trigger another story from me but, I wont go there just now,lol. The camera thing don't bother me. Its the audio that have me looking sideways.

Cameras

Yes, camera's are everywhere but there is a big difference from cameras catching a snippit of you from time to time vs cameras that are focused on the driver however many hours a day for all the weeks you are in their truck. OK,it is what it is, but whats up with the audio too? I never read the debates anywhere about the camera's b/c i just assumed it was video only. Audio? For real? Whoa! And I don't care why!

I'm a Company OTR driver, driving 560+ miles on a regular. That means I can only have private (from company)conversations with my family, doctor, lawyer, whomever outside of the truck or supposedly while the truck of off in the place I sleep for weeks at a time,wth?

Safety gets to look,listen blah,blah blah but, what stops them from telling everyone your business? When I decided to become a driver, I was like,"Wow, great for me"! ref the "shortage". Now, I just lol when I see all these articles about the trucking storage of "good" driver's when what they really mean is they want "good guinea pigs", or good reasons to push the autonomous truck agenda, or possibly increase subsidies from the gov't to "train" drivers. I'm so over it!

Seat belt Hurts Me

Pls forgive the late reply. Laptop issues abound!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will work on them and keep you updated.

52K is an exaggeration, lol. However, my KW is very light compared to the other trucks I've driven. The largest load I've had so far was around 50k and I've never been over gross. I've only had to adjust my tandems once to clear a little over 34 on the rear.

Leaving in less than 2 hrs for training

Well? How's it going for ya?

Does size matter?

Glad you asked b/c that means there is something you may need to work on in order for it NOT to be an issue as you reach for your goal. In other words.....pretend it DOES matter and figure out what you need to do to not make it matter to YOU. Get it? We females ALWAYS have to come up with something to get where we want to be.Cole

Seat belt Hurts Me

I'm working for a different company and drive a KW which I absolutely love! But, I have no love for the seat belt at all! It not only rubs my boobies it holds me too tight!!! I am constantly having to pull it away from me b/c it gets too tight after bumping up and down the interstate for a while. I only wear it as a lap belt and place the part that supposed to go across my chest up under the arm rest on the left side. So I wear it like a double lap belt now.

Of course everybody and their mama calls my company to say I'm not wearing my seat belt because they're mad that I left them in the dust going up a hill with 52k in the trailer. Safety is having a fit but don't feel my pain soooo it is what it is.

Any suggestions???

Posted:  4 years ago

An important Question for ALL the drivers

Local police or DOT should only stop you if they have probable cause for something.

They can ask for your green card all they want. However, you have the RIGHT to politely decline their request. Your immigration status is none of their business. They are not immigration officers.

Erm, there's the law, and then there's the practicality of being detained. A commercial truck rolling down the highway is a pile of probable cause to an officers. The sheer volume of regulations that are required to be adhered to by law for a CDL holder is amazing. One light out is sufficient for the officer to pull you over and ask for relevant identifying paperwork.

Erm, the OP specifically asked the following question;

When you get pulled over for whatever reason, can they ask you for your green card instead of just drivers license?

My reply is valid and it IS THE LAW! Reading and comprehension is also very important for a Professional Class A CDL driver. Cole

Posted:  4 years ago

An important Question for ALL the drivers

If they ask you for your driver's license you may give it to them. Your driver's license must be valid in whatever country you hail froM.

You have the right to be silent. Let them know that you are exercising that right If you chose. You have the right to ask them why you are being detained. You have the right to ask them if you are free to go.

Find out what your rights are for your county, local police, and find someplace where you can be educated about your Bill of Rights.

I am a former 911 dispatcher. My husband is an immigrant and we have two sons in their twenties. We all took a course about our Bill of Rights. We also found out what our rights are in reference to the county and local law enforcement. We role played different scenarios about encounters with law enforcement.

Welcome to the USA!

Posted:  4 years ago

New to the whole lifestyle change....of trucking

Nervousness is normal. All of us have been there with that knot in our stomachs , lol. Nervousness means that you care, that you worked hard and want to do your best. On the day of the test, take that nervous energy and channel it towards you successfully passing the test.

Shoot, I was so nervous that my left hand was shaking like a leaf. I had to tighten my grip around the steering wheel so that my instructor wouldn't notice, lol!

You will do well! Good luck to you and let us know how it went. Cole.

Posted:  4 years ago

New to the whole lifestyle change....of trucking

Welcome to TT Kara!

How blessed are you to have your wife hit the road with you! My husband wouldn't have any of that, lol.

Please keep us updated on your new adventure. Cole

Posted:  4 years ago

Newbie

Hey Christine, welcome to TT!

Congratulations on getting your permit!

Suggestion. Before you finish your course, go face to face with the local companies that you mentioned (and any others) to let them know your intentions and interests. If possible, ask to do a ride along. Some people say it is difficult to get a local job right out of school with no experience. However, difficult is not absolute. Don't wait until you finish school to start looking for a job. Speak with your instructors about local openings, they usually are a wealth of information.

Please keep us updated with your progress! Cole

Posted:  4 years ago

Failing DMV skills test

I am an older woman who really wants to be a truck driver. I worked my way through getting funding in place and going to training. Did really well on permit tests, walk around, airbrakes. I do alright going forward, however I was totally scared of the whole driving a giant truck thing. Regardless I have poured my heart and soul into this process for months now! Any how backing is my biggest issue. So at the first test I turned into a jumble of nervous shaking jelly. OK got a little more practice, went back for my second time and failed on the alley dock. I think I know what I did wrong but it has been 2 weeks and I haven't driven at all. I find that I really want to finish this thing. I have one test left on this permit and I am not sure if I should go for it or give up and try something smaller. Should I go get some warm up? It has been a couple of weeks and I feel like I lost a lover. I mean I am pretty depressed! This is something I really want and one way or the other I am taking this test again. I will be driving something! Do I give up and go b or do I give it my best last shot at a?

Hey Athena welcome to TT!

You already answered your own question. So, lets move on to the real question which is, How are you going to get the practice that you need?

Why haven't you driven for the past two weeks? Are you still in school? What is the expiration date on your permit? In FL your permit is valid for 6 months. Is there a limit to the number of times you can take the test? Are you still scared of the "whole driving a giant truck thing"? Is your school company sponsored or are you paying for the course?

1. If you paid for the course, then speak with your guidance counselor. Ask what options you have in reference to getting more practice. For example, half way through the course, my school allowed me to start over with the class behind me at no extra charge. ref I had a lot of trouble backing also.

2. Do you know anyone with a truck that could help you practice?

3. Rent a small trailer that can hook up to your vehicle, find a large space for you to practice. If the space has no lines for you to follow, go to Walmart and buy a set of 4 or 8 mini cones (found in the soccer section) then outline your own dock space.

4. If/when you get that trailer on your vehicle, try this trick that has worked for me: After you've set up for your maneuver, instead of placing your hand at the top of the steering wheel, place your hand on the bottom. That way, if you need to move your trailer to the right , turn to the right and the same if you need it to go to the left.

a- If you do what I just mentioned, turn the steering wheel to the left until you can see the back of the trailer while leaning out of the window.

b- when you see the trailer, straighten your steer tires and let the vehicle roll back to see the direction the trailer wheels are moving towards.

c- picture an arc on the ground leading to the right inside of your cone.

d- make small adjustments to the right as your tandems follow the imaginary line.

e- if you need to make corrections to the left, try to get under the trailer so you can "push" the trailer in the direction that you want to go.

f- try to keep the left outer side of your tandems close to the inside of the cones.

g- when your trailer tires get in to the box, continue to make small adjustments to see how far you can go in without touching the inner right side cones.

h- if you see that you are about to touch the line while inside the box......stop!

i- turn your wheel to the left so that you can get under the trailer to set up for a straight line back.

j- do it as many times as you need in order to feel comfortable.

5. Last but not least, remember this quote, "β€œTo escape fear, you have to go through it, not around.” ― Richie Norton. I'm sure you've faced your fears at some point in your life. Conjure that energy and face your fear again!

Cole

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

I hate reefers

Focus on the issue and resolve it.

Yeah! one of these buttons is sure to make that reefer nice and quiet.... smile.gifhqdefault.jpg

At least until the driver jumps outta his cab or comes back from his shower. shocked.png

lmao!!!rofl-3.gifrofl-2.gif

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Young lady interested in tanker

Going toward the bulk division for Schneider can anyone give me some insight as to the life?

No info about o/o but if you want to do tanker. Do it!

When your mama taught you how to cook, she taught you her way of doing things. As you got older you added this or that to suite you. Learning to become a tanker yanker is the same way. If you are brand new in the trucking world, Schneider has the money and training capability to train you to drive their tanks. Should you decide to leave them after a while......MANY other companies -Trimac, Praxair, Superior Carriers to name a few- will snatch you up in a minute based on your training with Schneider (providing your record is clean). You'll make good money from the START driving tankers.

If you have more specific questions...ask me and I will help you the best way I can.Cole

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Older female seriously considering being a trucker needs advice

Just do it!

Find out what the requirements are before hand, focus and do what it takes to get what you want. The very same thing you've done time and time again as a woman in the workforce.

Example- when I applied to Schneider Bulk, they required a physical agility test. Cool no problem...What EXACTLY does that entail? Got the info, did what I needed to do, and got it done! That's what we do as women..... get it done!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Carolina Cargo....yes or no

Http://www.lifeasatrucker.com/2nd-chances-for-felons-and-some-trucking-companies-that-may-hire-them.html

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

I hate reefers

Or maybe I just hate that my company doesn't allow idling nor do the provide a cooling system inthe sleeper when the truck is off. Yeah that's it.

Sorry reefer drivers.

Daggonit! Why you got to be from Florida?

Focus on the issue and resolve it. Otherwise get some earplugs.....

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

So I've been waiting at this shipper for six hours...

And got to thinking. Assuming the air horn literally uses air from the air tanks, how long would it take to empty them via blowing the air horn? This is what happens when I'm bored...

rofl-1.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-2.gif

Well?

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Driving OTR is all I Think About And I'm Overwhelmed By All the Info On This Website About Truck Driving Schools and Companies

So how's it working for ya so far?

Based on my experience(7 months)..south of I-4 may be tough. I don't know the particulars but here's what I know. Conway, Abeline (sp?), H. O Wolding, WEL, Schneider, Werner, JR Shugal (cameras facing driver), Knight, Covenant will hire you.

If you decide to pay for CDL school go to Mid Florida Tech in Orlando. They have job placement and will run you about $2400. AND they are great. I live in South Florida and used my sister's address in Atlanta to get a job with Schneider Bulk. I've since changed it back to FL ref GA taxes but, it worked for me.

There are a cabillon truck companies in Florida. Most want 2yrs experience for local/regional.

Good luck!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Is working out possible on the road?

Hey, I just posted a somewhat similar question in the lady's area My Aching Back.

I agree with Trish!