Comments By Michael S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/north-slope.jpg avatar
  • Michael S.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Local driving vs. otr

At the very least you'll end up being paid for a greater proportion of those 500 miles you were driving for your commute.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Albuquerque to Phoenix

If there's no snow, I would take I-40 to Flagstaff, then I-17 to Phoenix. The Ride up to Flagstaff is fairly gentle going west on I-40, going down I-17 you will come across steeper grades and tighter turns, but nothing unmanageable, it is an interstate after all. However, if it was snowy, I'd avoid that route and go south on I-25 to I-10 it is a lot longer, but if you avoid delays because of snow, it might work out better.

Since there isn't a chance of much snow today, I'd take I-40. YMMV.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Entering Canada

Jan; that's funny and all, but not correct. A D.U.I. conviction can make Gary inadmissible to Canada. He may be able to overcome his conviction, but it will be at the discretion of the C.B.S.A. agent he deals with at the border.

Gary; were you charged or charged and convicted? If convicted what was the level of your impairment? This will weigh upon the seriousness of the offense if it was committed in Canada.

D.U.I. are serious business when crossing into Canada.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Prime Inc

This right here!

Dari, we think you should go back to Prime and finish what you started. That will depend, of course, on the terms that you left them on.

Sure, it involves eating some crow, being humble; but reconsidering a rash act when cooler, and apologizing sincerely, can get you out of a jam. A jam is what Dari is in right now, and unless they plan to drive for the worst sort of company they won't be a driver, eh?

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

And so it begins......

Does it ever stop in WY? I'm pretty sure that parts of I-80 have been closed due to snow at least once in every month... Okay, maybe not August, but I'm pretty, pretty sure eleven months of the year.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Green card +cdl =good or bad???

What is a green card in this circumstance? I take it this is a new use of the phrase, because for a very long time "green card" was synonymous with permanent residency (they're no longer green, but the name persisted).

I'm sure some companies might be a little choosy if you had worked for a grow operation, but as Susan D noted, testing positive would be a much bigger issue than the work itself.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Stupid Bumper Box

Handy hint: when you get out to look, pace off the distance you need to move, like, from the rear tandem tire to the box.

As you get to the cab, quickly look for anything on the ground, like a rock, crack in the pavement, etc., and pace that distance back from that mark. Look for another mark. In the cab, watch the edge of the window as it moves from mark #1 to mark #2. Then get out and accept your signed off score sheet.

This technique makes good geometric sense. Would there be any penalty during the test if you used marker cones that you brought with you, instead of looking for rocks?

Of course the ground has a lot of details you can use, but why not be sure and provide your own?

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Getting Started After Cancer

Thanks Partagas; yeah sitting will be a problem for a while. I see that in my immediate post-op instructions. I am young, and the cancer is early days, so I'm hopeful that I won't have any follow up after surgery.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply, I'll definitely need to look for something else to do in the near term now.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Getting Started After Cancer

I've been a wannabe for a long time. I finally had enough of my office job and quit it with the intention of attending a college CDL program here in Ontario, OR going with Celadon's Canadian subsidiary, Hyndman. Coincident to my last week of work I had a biopsy. The results came in the week after I had quit. As only about 1/4 of the men that have this biopsy have cancer I was expecting better news than I received. I have an operable cancer, and will be having surgery sometime in September to have it removed.

I will need to recuperate, of course, but once I get that settled am I likely to have a problem starting out in trucking, aside from the much longer than anticipated work gap? I can see about other work in the interim, but I'm concerned that I may not have a chance to drive because of my disease. Note, that I live in Canada and medical insurance is not as large an issue for employers. What I'm concerned about is probably nothing, eh, and I should worry more about the fender bender I had in 2016.

Posted:  1 year, 12 months ago

Touching my antenna gives me 1.3 swr, otherwise 2.5

Bad SWR - either a poor antenna match to the frequencies, or a poorly grounded system. That your SWR changes when you touch the antenna, you most likely have a poor ground.

Ensure the chassis of your radio is grounded and the antenna is as well, and your SWR should improve.

Take it to a CB shop and have them work on it for you. If it is a ground issue, they should be able to fix it easily for you.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

No alcohol no sundays

I can't see how flatbed could ever haul alcohol. Just a thought.

You totes could haul alcohol on a flatbed. Though it might not be the sort for consumption.

Couldn't believe what I saw

Sort of like this, Daniel?

G.O.A.L.

I'm looking for sponsored training in the USA, but doing it from where I live now, which is Canada.

I'll move to the USA if I get an offer lined up.

I'm worried all companies will be this hard about it, and wondering if that dashes my hopes for any job.

G.O.A.L.

I am applying in the USA. I am a US citizen working in Canada and would like to drive in the USA.

I have just started applying, and used the TT application form. It was one of the companies from the TT referral.

If this is the general practice I may need to set my sights lower.

I am looking for company sponsored training. It is generally not available in Canada, and when it is, it's typically a two year commitment.

G.O.A.L.

Well, I talked with the recruiter again after amending my application to describe my accident. Their stance, they want that to be five years old.

Hey, it's their stick and ball, their game, but I can't help but feel very disappointed. I may be shut out of getting a chance at all for one recent mistake. The last accident I was in prior was not my fault, and roughly nineteen years earlier. Before that, maybe twenty-five years earlier I had my last at fault.

Feeling gloomy, very rejected. I've learned a lesson, yet have no way to put it into practice.

G.O.A.L.

Addenda:

I just requested, and received online, my driving abstract. No demerit points, and no mention of the accident.

That said, I still feel bad/guilty, and boned.

G.O.A.L.

Did you get a ticket?

No, I did not get a ticket. Ontario is odd in that you are required to report accidents to an insurance company sponsored office. You go to an Accident Reporting Center with your damaged vehicle and fill out paperwork for insurance purposes. Ontario is a no-fault jurisdiction, so each vehicle owner has any claim satisfied by their insurance company. Police work at the ARC and will issue tickets if necessary. Since I reported it within the time frame for doing so, and I had exchanged information with the other owner, I did not get a ticket for failing to report nor hit and run.

That said, I did hit a parked car with a box truck.

I talked with a recruiter and they did not like the sound of my having had an accident in the past year. They ended the conversation at that point. :(

G.O.A.L.

So how screwed am I if I try to get a CDL in the USA?

This is an accident and my fault, but is it too bad to overcome within a year of it happening?

Chicken and Egg

I live in Canada. I am a US Citizen. I'd like to work for TMC, and take their training.

I'd like to live in Sioux City IA (I know some people there) which would be in TMC's hiring zone.

How do I move, after quitting current job, and establish myself to be hired?

Yeah, I'm still on about the residency question.