Comments By HAMMERTIME

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar
  • HAMMERTIME
  • Comments:

1st Year Employment in Trucking

Here we go again, I'm not advising him to switch jobs 3 times in one year. So what if you went through 3 jobs in one year? How do you know each situation on which why they switched jobs, did they get laid off or have to switch for personal reasons, etc.. You can't simply look at the numbers and say, Yup! This doesn't look good. You also can't simply say I'm going to be employed with this company for a minimum of one year, what if things change for you and its no longer the best company best suited for you or what if what they told you is not as accurate. Still stick it out for 1 year?

I'm simply encouraging him to weigh out his options and don't make any hastily decisions before fully understanding what are his potential options are just incase he does wanna move forward onto another company. At the end of the day we can only give advice and its up for the individual to decide what is best for him/her and their family. To me it's silly to say "I'm going to work here for so and so amount of time." I'm gonna work where I work until it no longer suits me and if the current company meets my needs for the rest of my life, than so be it. I'll be employed with them for the rest of my life.

If an employer ask about your employment history, just say. "I'll be happy to talk about it!" and when you do finally talk about it be honest about the situation and most people will understand.

1st Year Employment in Trucking

Everyones situation is different and only you know weather its a good idea for you to stick it out with a company for 1 year or not. Just because it worked out for previous people that just might not be the case for you. You should weigh out your options before even thinking about quitting because once you tell yourself you're quitting, you'll find any reason to quit. So if you're unhappy with your current company look around and talk to other companies, tell them you just want some information on what they offer and what to expect. Be honest with them and tell them you aren't looking for an immediate change and see if they are still willing to work with you.

Had I stuck it out 1 year with my first employer I probably wouldn't be trucking anymore, they made me Fight Dragons just to get Hometime! For example I had hometime request several months in advance to be home for the birth of my child and due to our current Financial Hardship I was going right back out after 2 days. Well I got home alright but man did I have to push hard to convince them I was really having a Baby and my Girlfriend needed me to be there for support. They grilled me, asked me all sorts of questions to see if I was lying and then the baby came around 11am and I get a call around Noon and it was my dispatcher. Guess what he said!? "Are you ready to go out yet?" We got a load ready for you in the yard but you need to leave tonight. Lol! For Real? You want me to stick it out with this company for a year? Sorry but I'm against what everyone is saying above me, you can't simply just say stick it out for 1 year without knowing the entire situation. It's just not that simply to put a number up and say, stay employed with them for this amount of time.

Trouble with double clutching...

Yes newer trucks will be easier to shift on. Try to drive the same exact truck over and over so you can learn how it shifts or doesn't like to shift and because they are giving you such a crappy POS to learn on. I personally wouldn't care about how bad I mess up on my shifting, I would jam that sucka in! Hang in there, just learn how to pass your driving test and then have your Trainer teach you how to properly shift.

For Real, Back your FN Truck!

Weird, I was driving back from seeing my family in Louisville, KY and when I was driving up I-71 I looked over at one of the large truck stops and saw a truck pulled in forward into a space when all of the other trucks were back in.....I thought to myself, "what's up with that???".

"Some peoples kids I tell you!"

For Real, Back your FN Truck!

I'm shutdown at a Pilot and I'm in the corner and this guy pulls into the spot instead of backing in, when I leave at 2am I won't have the room to wiggle my truck out. This is getting ridiculous!

Confused about company road test

I been confused if your a recent graduate and you go for a company orientation do you take the road test the first day or after your done been out with your trainer?because alot of orientation process and watched on youtube i seen you take the road test the first day of orientation like US Express can someone clarify me please?thank you

If you have a CDL they will test you before going out with your trainer. Be prepared to take that road test your first day.

Trying out

Does anyone know of a school in central and south FL that will let you try out driving a rig before going to school to see if trucking is for you.

Drive probably not for insurance and liabilities purposes but sit in it maybe.

Navigation Question

We have the CoPilot Navigation in our Qualcomms as well but I don't use it. I've got CoPilot on my Tablet that I purchased separately and I use that. Qualcomm graphics are too crappy for me and ours is very slow.

Knight Hiring Process

Just wonder how long does it take for them to call back. I need to get the ball rolling.

I'm no longer employed with them but back in 2012 when I applied online it took them 24hrs to get back to me. Knight is very picky, expect the recruiters to thoroughly review your application, background and employment and all of that can take a few days.

Knight

You watch out for Knight, they say you don't have to Slay Dragons for Hometime but I slayed many Dragons over there. Haha!

U-Turn in big rig and.... your fired! ??

Wow, I need to start proof reading my stuff. So tired!

U-Turn in big rig and.... your fired! ??

Somewhere at some time a driver made a U-Turn and it ended up costing the company millions in a Lawsuit. I'm sure that's why they are against Company Policy, when I was with Knight they had the same policy.

"Speculation Only" Mmmkkk.. Just don't do it! Unless your in a parking lot or dead end street of course but that's your judgement to make.

Comfort zone

I can drive US Highways easy because I know I'm in control but in LA Traffic these dummies will cut you off and slam on their brakes and do all sorts of crazy stuff. Just today I had a distance of 5 cars between me and another truck but a bunch of cars decided since there was room and they would all try to fit into my lane and they ended up all slamming on their brakes, which then made me slam on my brakes even though I left enough room. Then after everything settled down they realized that my lane is actually slow and they all jump out of the lane they had just got into. Gotta love these Bafoons!

Comfort zone

Yup they can be challenging but soon enough it won't bother you. You'll learn how to drive those roads and not even be nervous. I myself prefer to drive them at night, well to be honest I prefer to drive all roads at night. LA traffic is challenging!

Is a close terminal important?

Not really if they can route you home and they allow the truck to go home with you but if not and you have to drive to and from a Terminal then I would say very important. I worked for Marten Transport and that was the number reason why I quit and went to my current company. When I had my Child and took a week off. I had to take the Truck to our Portland/Wilsonville, OR. yard and then I had to find my way back home. That's over 480 miles from my hometown so as you can see I didn't return. I current Terminal is 3 miles away from my house and its very convenient because as soon as I roll into that yard I'm pretty much home.

Not even good enough to be the gum on your boots

Best tip I can give you... Don't over think it! Just do it and if you mess up you mess up on your shifting. If your shifting and you can't get it in just find a gear and get it in, most likely a lower gear than the one you are trying to get in. Kind of difficult to give good advice with me showing you in person.

Not sure how strict they are about your shifting but I would just rub and rev. That's like bad advice but I got my CDL doing that and then learned how to shift correctly when I finally went on my trainers truck.

Ugh.. need a edit button but I meant to say it's hard for me to give good advice without showing you in person. That's just the way I learn and teach.

Not even good enough to be the gum on your boots

This is why Companies don't hire people with Drug offenses.

LOL I'll say wrong link hahaha

Haha, yeah.. you got me! I posted the correct link now. I'm trying to do too many things at once and lost track.

Edit Post

Brett is it possible to create a way for us to edit our own post?