Comments By Rob ( A.K.A. CASE)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/show-truck1.jpg avatar

High Praise for the High Road Training Program

Guyjax...I like your style!! Besides the Spring 2013 Macbook Pro I bought brand new last year I haven't PURCHASED a computer off the shelf since 2001!! I have SIX not including my MBP which is just in its own category of awesomeness...but my WORST Linux box is heads and shoulders above anything being sold out of the big box stores and most speacialty stops. Again my MBP being my workhorse (since it literally does EVERYTHING to cover all the bases of my multi faceted life) my main desktop windows computer leaves anything else in the dust as soon as you start comparing desktop backgrounds!!

And Old School I certainly get the point you are trying to make but as fat as my own personal situation goes...once I got to the University of Washington and was in charge of 250 seats of every design package that Autodesk had to offer I thought I was King of The Hill. My position being funded it was directly tied to the state budget and as soon as the economy took a dump my job ceased to exist. So the sour taste in my mouth just reinforced my belief that the carpet can always be pulled out from under you. I live in SEATTLE, I could hop on my mountain bike and be cruising around Microsoft main campus in about 35 minutes. I could also find any IT/CAD/Tech type job I was suited for and I could spend easily an hour and half driving each way to work and back. But I have done that for far too long. Driving two hours to work to sit there and use my talent and creativity to make SOMEONE else money makes as much sense as spending two hours to purposely drive to some random building every day to get punched in the face for 8 hours...just to drive home get some sleep and get up and do it all again the next day. Talk about insanity.

Especially considering I have worked for some real morons...guys that would literally come into my office and stare at my computer screen and breath down my neck when I know full well they would never be able to tell the difference if I was working on creating a CAD detail or design block or a production drawing or playing freaking asteroids!!

I would much rather be in control of my own destiny, be my own supervisor...I am certain that I hold higher standards for myself than any tech firm would ever hold me to.

I would rather die with my boots on standing on my own two feet than to live on my knees. All this country needs is some more people, young and old to believe in it again and to not expect things to be handed to them and to actually understand, believe and realize that yes there are a lot of shortcuts you can take but the plain simple truth is that the American dream is right out there waiting for you...waiting for you to string together a couple days of honest hard work...followed by a few more and a few week, rinse and repeat...its not hard...its out there.

Sorry...I just ate a pretty good sized steak and I guess the red meat shakes kind of set in and I got a bit off topic..I will get off my soapbox now. But yes....that High Road Training Program is freaking awesome and worth every penny and then some!!

High Praise for the High Road Training Program

Well Brett all I can say is "Well done sir". So you are a webdesigner/trucker eh? Boy you guys are a dime a dozen. MAYBE someday....after I get a decade and a half of trucking experience under my belt there will be TWO of us. My background is in web design and I am super impressed with your work. Do you mind if I ask you what platform you built it on?? I could dig but I won't lol! Hey if you ever need any help with any thing, content creation etc let me know I would love to give back someday!!

Thanks again!

Rob (aka case)

Looking for CDL Training in the Northwest with Very Little or NO Money out on my part

Hey Karen....always good to say hello to a fellow Washingtonian!! I live in Des Moines and am currently jumping through some hoops and trying to document my entire process as well. I fully agree with everything in this thread mentioning the High Road Training Program, I kind of blew it off the first few log ins on the site. However I have a couple hurdles I need to clear before I get into school so I thought I might as well use my time productively and I can NOT say enough about it.

Please keep us updated on your progress and don't let anything stand in your way. I will be paying close attention to your progress and looking for your updates!!

Keep in touch and good luck!!

- Rob (AKA Case)

High Praise for the High Road Training Program

Hey guys,

I just wanted to take a minute to express how impressed I am with the High Road Online Training Program.

I don't know who is responsible for creating this masterpiece but all I can say is "GENIUS".

Some of you may have been following my on-going saga and I really can't tell you how much the words of encouragement have meant to me. But encouragement only gets you so far, in the end...its all about practical application.

I have taken a lot of different kinds of classes, various training programs and taught myself many skills. I cant say how this program compares to other FREE ONLINE TRUCK DRIVER TRAINING, but I can guess it blows anything similar out of the water, if such training even exists. This should be nationally recognized as one of the best training programs anywhere. I don't know if any of you have done any of the Rosetta Stone language learning programs but they are amazing and this training is equally as good.

The bottom line is education on any level is not about regurgitating information, it is about RETAINING the information you are being taught. The way the course brings back questions from earlier modules really reinforces what you are learning, not so you REMEMBER it but so you KNOW IT!!

What is the maximum allowable width of any commercial vehicle ? 8'-6" - What is the maximum allowable height of any commercial vehicle ? 13'-6" - What is considered to be excessive speeding ? Anything over 15 m.p.h.

I know this is all rudimentary stuff and the very beginning portions of the training but the point is....I knew NOTHING about any of this stuff yesterday. Today I KNOW this stuff....period.

I know it has been mentioned and repeated throughout this forum over and over that newcomers should definitely go through the high road training and I can not express how much I emphatically agree!!

Thank you THANK YOU for this invaluable resource, I seriously can't believe it is FREE!! AMAZING

- Rob

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Hey Brett thanks for your response, great to hear from you and appreciate the kind words.

I have started the High Road Training Program....wow what a TON of information, this resource is unbelievable!! Thank you for this amazing website!

Yeah Stephen, I am in shock that this is actually free! Wow 98% gives me something to shoot for. I am at 99% however I have only completed 3% of the thing....4 pages into the Rules and Regulations. Plenty of stuff to chew on!! Gives me something to shoot for, now I have to REALLY stay focused!!

Thanks again guys for checking in on me, I am going to document this entire journey from start to finish so stay tuned!!

Rob

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Hey guys wanted to give you another update.

First of all thank you again for all the words of encouragement. What a great support group you all have been, and to think I am just getting started!! Good to know I will have some people with my back when I get out on the road and I hope one day to be able to return the favor.

So I have been waiting with baited breath for this other judge to make a decision and after not hearing anything yesterday I just called the court and asked the clerk if she could just tell me what the decision was in my case.

Unfortunately the judge said NO!! That is pretty much the long and short of it. The time that has passed since it has been passed off to this collection agency leaves her hands tied (at least that is what she said). So at first I was feeling completely defeated as this meant that I will need to come up with the entire balance before this ticket will be lifted which in my current financial situation and not having any income it might as well be $898 thousand. However I think I have mentioned before I have run into a lot of walls in my life and this was just another one to go around, climb over, dig under or KNOCK DOWN!!

So with a "where there's a will there's a way" attitude I contacted the credit agency and asked to speak to a supervisor, once I got someone on the phone I asked to speak to THEIR supervisor. After a decent wait I finally got to speak to someone that could actually make some real decisions.

I pleaded my case with her and told her the court told me that the credit agency could on a case by case basis accept payments while still lifting the hold on my license. At first she wasn't sounding to willing to budget but once again I made my case telling them that they could release the hold and I could get a good job and have some kind of income coming in which would lead to them getting this 7 year old case removed from their delinquent account list. I told them I had no assets and no income. I then made the point that they hold all the cards, if I set up a payment plan and dont make a payment they can always place the hold back on my license and I will be SCREWED as it will affect my CDL.

I wanted to reinforce the fact that I WANT TO PAY THIS TICKET OFF and I WOULD NOT SCREW IT UP!!

So eventually we reached an agreement. She said if I pay $350 she would release the hold on my license immediately and set the balance of the account up on payments!! While this is still a huge chunk of change I knew it was the best deal I was going to get and once again...where there's a will there's a way."

So I did my own little version of crowdsourcing. I went to my friends, my family even the pastor of the local church. I have some work to do and some promises to keep and some money to pay back but I am happy to report that after a full day of telling people how much I wanted this and how determined I was to make it happen I now have enough money to get the collection agency their $350 and the extra cash I will need to get through a few weeks of school before I get a check!

Wow just reading back the words I just wrote kind of gives me goosebumps. I have to say I may have been determined but reading all of your posts and your words of encouragement and learning as much as I can about what this whole journey is going to be like has been the driving force behind my determination and I can't thank you enough. There are no fantasies here I know that this is just the beginning and that there are going to be many more hurdles and some tough times ahead....but this IS HAPPENING PEOPLE!!

So now it is onto a lot of logistics, getting the money picked up and brought to the collection agency, going to courts and following up to make sure this things get lifted and getting another drivers abstract to make sure they are off and getting school scheduled. That is a lot to do.

Yes Starcar....there will be no rookie slackers round here!! Starting the High Road training today. Have been reading my commercial drivers manual just to prep myself. Thank for the push!!

Thanks everyone!! Will keep you updated!!

- Rob

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Hey guys just another quick update. Yesterday I wrote a pretty detailed letter to the second judge that oversees the court my other ticket is out of and filed that with them yesterday afternoon. I was told that the court will mail me her response so keep your fingers crossed. It's not the end of the world if she denies my request but it sure throws a pretty good mountain right in my path so I am really trying to stay positive and hoping for the best.

And @starcar - most definitely. Don't let the court clerks tell you different. Just contact the court and ask them who the judge is that is either attached to your case or who the judge is that reviews FTA's and late payments etc. Somewhere there is a judge that can do whatever they want by court order so find out who that judge is and write them a letter pleading your case and send it to them. Like I always so the answer might still be no but it is definitely no if you aren't willing to ask!!

I'll keep you updated as soon as I hear anything in the mean time think I will start the high road training to make good use of the time.

- rob

Great news!

Hey Daniel,

Just to add my $0.02 into the conversation and for whatever it is worth. Your posts here on TT have been very inspirational to me and given me a much better understanding with how this business works and what to expect from school. I think you would be a great instructor no matter which option you choose but it sounds like you are leaning toward PSD.

I have run into a couple of snags getting some unresolved tickets removed from my drivers abstract so I may be delayed a month so if you are training then I will certainly try to find you! Crazy how things work out. I am still leaning toward Prime so I am taking things one step at a time as soon as I get those tickets lifted its on to the next step. I'll keep you posted!

- Rob

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Ok so some good news today. The judge agreed to pull both tickets back from collections and let me get back on a payment plan!! So I have to come up with $50 bucks and go set up the payments and they will release both FTA's from my license which will make them not show up on my DMV abstract as " UNRESOLVED" any more so that just leaves one ticket holding up my future plans. I plan on taking the same approach with that court starting tomorrow. Starting to feel good about things again, beautiful BEAUTIFUL day here in Seattle today.

THANKS EVERYONE for all the great advice, insight and information. I am not a super religious person but I have to say I feel bigger things at work here, I am being lead in a certain direction and have not felt this certain about a decision in my life in a long long time.

This may very well be this best site on the Internet! It certainly is to me right now. Thank you! I am truly blessed

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Hey guys... Thought I would give you a quick update. Feel like i had a little set back today and would like your thoughts.

So I went and got my DMV Printout and my license is clear but I have 3 unresolved tickets. TWO "driving without liability insurance" in 2012 and one "No license on person" t be honest I had kind of forgotten about those darn things. I had been working a side job and got laid offf but while I was working I had arranged to make payments on the fines through a court sponsored credit agency, when I got laid off I couldn't afford to make payments.

So being the pro-active type of guy that I am I contacted the local recruiter for Central and told her I was concerned and she asked me to come to the office right away, which I did. She kind of laughed it off at first because she thought I had some felonies or something so she said "let me see your printout" when she saw that I had the 3 unresolved tickets she said that was a deal breaker and I would have to get them cleared first no exceptions.

So I left feeling pretty deflated but thought there has to be a way out of this mess. So never being one to give up I contacted both courts ( two of the tickets are out of one court and the other is from a separate court) they said they would look into it and one court clerk called me back from the court holding two of the infractions.

I told the lady my whole sad story and she said I was either stuck trying to get the credit agency to reinstate the payment plan or petition the judge . The thing I have probably failed to mention that as long as the credit agency has a payment plan set up the infraction will no show up as unresolved but since I stopped paying they now require the entire balance to clear it ($600 some dollars)

So I immediately wrote out a heart felt letter to the judge and emailed it to the clerk she called me back and said she would get it to the judge ASAP and she couldn't promise anything but said it was a very moving, and compelling letter and she thought I had a good shot at getting it re instated. I basically just told my whole story to the judge told her I was In a pretty tough spot financially and trying to make a positive change in my life and asked if she would " at least re authorize the payment program, significantly reduce the fine, or if she felt compelled to dismiss the case outright ( I figure hell, what do I have to lose?? The answer is always no until you ask!!!)

So now I waill wait and see what happens.

My question to you guys is do you think this is a policy specific to Central or is this pretty standard thought the industry??

Any suggestions??

Thanks again eveeryone for your support, trust me... This might be a wall but I love climbing over walls. This is not going to stop my pursuit, the drive is too strong now!!

- Rob

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Stephen, thanks so much for your reply and the good advice! At this point my friend, moral support is even a luxury so I will definitely take it.

Yeah I am spending this week getting all my affairs in order. A while back I had my wallet stolen so I didn't have an actual social security card, he'll I didn't even have a bank account but as of today my social security card is on the way and I have bank account. I am sure the lady was not to pleased to open an account t with ZERO DEPOSIT but I really just wanted to see if I had anything on my credit holding it up but I guess not!

At least now, no matter where I go I can receive direct depost and not have to worry about getting paid or how I'm going to get my check. Tomorrow I am going to the DMV to get my drivers abstract and we will proceed from there. I just want to have everything ready before I apply anywhere.

No I never got around to learning Rhino. At the UW I was responsible for administering 250+ licenses of Autodesk and other design software packages so I had to know a little about most of them such as Autocad including, architectural and electrical desktop, civil 3d, mechanical desktop, and Revit but Rhino was not one of them. Almost got a job a while back working for the company that developed it though, McNeel & Associates another great Seattle based company.

My update with Prime Inc.

Hey Michael & Daniel thank you for answering at least some of my questions. I kind of assumed that I would go to SLC but wasn't positive.

Daniel, I have been following many of your posts, just wanted to say thanks for providing so much information and details about your journey it's such a huge help ans inspiration. Nor sure if your read my introduction post I made yesterday but I am really chomping at the bit to get started and looming primarily for the company sponsored school that would get me some sort of income the fastest...any income.

Daniel I also notice you started with Central, they appear to be not so high on your list now compared to Prime as far as pay goes. If you were advising someone new would they even be someone you would recommend?

And as far as the $200 goes with Prime can someone please verify specifically when that kicks in? I have read it starts as soon as you get your permit which is about 4 days into class? I have read different accounts of when that starts and that is a huge deciding factor for me.

Thanks again for all the greet help

- Rob (aka Case)

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Man the more I learn I swear the more confused I get! Now I have a couple more companies to chooses from and added to my list. I have been reading more forum posts and now it looks like Roehl is also at the top of my list and not so much a secondary choice!! Still hoping others can offer up,some good advice especially on companies that will get me to having an income sooner.

Thanks again Anchorman for all your help so far

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Thanks for the replies Anchorman, I am in the process of doing as much research as I can. I think I will be heading to DOL this week to get a complete driving record printed out just to make sure nothing is lingering. Yes Daniel B has definitely a lot of posts worth following I have read many of them and will check out the links you provided. This whole website is just awesome, thank you for your response I really appreciate it. Love the photo and the handle by the way.... Huge fan!

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Hey everyone.

Right off the top I want to say thank you for such a great site and awesome forum, what a blessing.

I will apologize up front for the length of this post I will try to be as brief as possible but as I am about to make a life changing decision it is not something I want to be casual about.

My name is Rob, I am 45 from Des Moines, Washington - just south of Seattle.

I have spent my whole career behind a desk doing CAD drafting and design. My last gig was as the CAD manager for Capital Projects/ Design Services at the University of Washington. Unfortunately my job was a "funded" position so my salary was directly tied to the state budget so needless to say when the economy took a dump, my job ceased to exist. The last few years I've been doing odd jobs here and there some CAD work, website creation, search engine marketing but it's just not cutting it.

My mother recently passed away from a stroke she had when I was young, so while I am saddened by her passing I am glad she no longer has the struggle day in and day out and. I no longer have the need to be tied to one place as I was responsible for some of her care and just her condition in general kept me tied to the local area.

Also have a live in girlfriend, but with me not getting much in the way of income lately things are a bit stressful at home. I have always been someone that has worked or found a way to survive so this feeling of not pulling my own weight has me feeling pretty down.

So I have decided to research truck driving. I have been fascinated with big rigs since i was a little guy and honestly am oerplexed at why i hadnt really even looked into it unti now! Recenty I saw an ad on Craigslist and talked to a woman whom im not actually sure if she is a broker or middle man or actual company recruiter for Central Refrigerated.

Well that set the wheels in motion and led me to Google which led me to this awesome website.

I am now researching some other company sponsored training programs and could really use some advice and some insight from you good people. I will be totally honest and up front about my situation and will do my best to document every step of my journey.

So for the honesty part. I got a DUI when I was about 21 so that was some 24years ago when I was real young and stupid. I actually screwed up my license pretty good when I was young and had another DUI About 14 years ago but successfully completed a deferred prosecution and had it cleared. Ever since then my license has been in good standing and have had only two accidents in my whole life one was not my fault and the other was me barely tapping someones rear fender following a little too close, that was my fault and about 3 years ago. I no longer drink alcohol or use drugs of any kind.

Right now I am broke.... Real broke. I need to get some money coming in ASAP. Days have turned to weeks, weeks are quickly turning to months and I will be damned if I let months turn to years WAITING for something to happen, I need to MAKE something happen.

So considering my past driving blemishes, my current financial situation and my eagerness to make a change do any of you have any suggestions or advice on how to proceed? Who to avoid? I have Prime, Swift, Knight and Central at the top of my list. With a small interest also in Roehl.

I am willing to do OTR and actually look forward to it right now, as long as I am out making some money I think things will start looking up but I need to get started soon. I liked Prime because of the $200/wk training pay, I know it needs to be paid back but I am not worried about paying anything back I can do that, but I need something coming in first. Also it looks like Knight pays you while you are in school as well? My question would be, with which company sponsored training would I get some income rolling in the soonest?

I have a question regarding Prime. I am heavily leaning toward them but am a little leery of the LW trucks that seem to be the norm you end up with. Is this always the case? I guss I am probably being a little picky considering my situation but I feel like if I am going to be out on the road and basically living in my truck I am a little concerned about the room, can't see how you would get a fridge, microwave and TV to fit in those very comfortably, I would like to be able to have a passenger eventually.

So I am giving it up to you folks, the experienced ones who have the knowledge to assist me. Tell me where to start, I will take the ball and run. Thank you in advance if you have made it through this whole post God bless you for taking an interest. I could really use some advice and some moral support and like I said I will document this entire journey as much as I possibly can. This is step 1!!!

Thanks all, looking forward to your replies and the road ahead.

- Case

My update with Prime Inc.

Hi guys, thanks for the posts about Prime. I am in the very beginning stages of starting this whole journey and Prime is at the top of my list. I have a couple questions.

As far as the LW trucks go, is there no other option? Are you not able to get into a full size ?

Do you go Springfield for training no matter where you live (I'm in Washington state)

How long before you get paid any money at all - even the $200 weekly loan I have heard about - when does that kick in exactly?

How much money should I bring to training and do you think Prime is the best bet for someone with limited funds and needs cash ASAP?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

- Case