Comments By Maverick (Tom H).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FxM9GpHqmV8/U0SUFjugMII/AAAAAAAAAFM/R1naWJM3y_U/w426-h282/maverick.jpg avatar

Im in.... Start Prime cdl Training on the 22nd

Recruiter left me a message today that everything is good to go. Im excited and stressed at the same time. Excited to finally start a career away from factory grunt work and stressed about leaving my family. It couldnt be better timing though, just came back from vacation in Key West yesterday so at least I got to spend some quality time. Told my boss today that friday would be my last day, he became a bigger ass than normal, so much so that I dont know if I even want to finish the week. I have a lot of studying to do, just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here for helping.

I know how you feel, being excited and stressed, I leave for training on the 22nd to go to swift in Fontana and leaving the family behind, it has been a long time since I was in the Navy and had to leave for deployment, bu I have the same feelings.

I hate having to cheat.

Did something change? For the split berth rule you have to have 8 hours ...

Nothing changed. This is my proposal to give drivers more flexibility in their work & drive time. The split berth thing allows a driver that 8+2 split. I just expanded it out to make two "adjustable" break times.

Oh oh oh I got it now that was your suggestion for how the powers to be might change the way things are now .....

I hate having to cheat.

One of the great things about OTR driving is you have all that time to work out solutions to the World's problems. Here's something I worked out for the 14+10 hour rule (still the 11 hr driving limit):

Just like current rules, you start your shift. Any time of the day. You now have two kinds of time: 14 hr duty and 10 hr rest. Still nothing new. (Start thinking split berth)

Your 10 hr rest can be one chunk - same as now, or you can split it into two periods. Both periods in one 24 hr period must total at least 10 hr, and the shortest rest break must be no less than 2 hr. Any combination of two rest periods that total 10 hours: 2+8, 5+5, 3 1/2 + 6 1/2 and so on.

You cannot work any single period longer than 12 1/2 hours. (That's 11 hr drive + 1/2 hr break + pre & post trips.) You can still do On Duty work for the remaining 1 1/2 hours.

Your day clock resets after 10 hours, either from one 10 hour chunk, or the second of the two breaks 2 hr being the minimum.

So, how can you jerk this around and game the system?

Did something change? For the split berth rule you have to have 8 hours continuos in the sleeper berth for it to be legal the other 2 hrs can be either sleeper berth or off duty.

3-1 or 1-1

I was wondering if some of you could give me some feedback on your experiences with a 3-1 training situation vs a 1-1?

One school I'm looking at offers a 3 wk intensive course (Week 1 - Classroom; Week 2 - On the Road City, Highway, Mountains; Week 3 - In the Yard) which includes 3-1 drive time. I'm still waiting to get more information from the other school but they say that they offer 1-1 training but it's a 3-4 week program (she just emailed me). They're having a job fair and I'll also attend one of their informational seminars on the 16th to find out more.

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds to me like the companies are talking about student to instructor ratio in the trucks when out driving. 3-1 = 3 students with 1 instructor in the truck and 1-1 = 1 student with 1 instructor in the truck.

What I heard on the shuttle bus today (Use the High Road program properly!)

Hey Brett (and anyone else reading) While I was at the CDL instructor training a few weeks ago...in one of the classes in which all the new PSD's and trainers must go thru (pre trip inspection) the instructor told all the new recruits to go to "truckingtruth.com" and study the pretrip there. So even Prime is well aware that the program this site offers, helps the recruits out. FYI

That's really cool!!

I will be very tempted to reveal my true identity as the creator of that thread and so many more!

Yes indeed! On today's menu you will find The Pre-trip inspection by Daniel B - which we're going to turn into flash cards somewhere down the line.

smile.gif

Prob better to leave it as is Brett with instructions to have people make their own flash cards from it so it will be better remembered by them writing down the information, just a thought

What I heard on the shuttle bus today (Use the High Road program properly!)

If you do the High Road twice I swear you will change the makeup of your brain. Besides being a horrible test taker, I crammed it in a weekend. My brain about exploded. You do it once, through everything, you will pass your permit test. The DMV gal was impressed. I passed with three endorsements.

Go ahead and tell 'em Brett. My scores on the High Road were horrific.

I guess my brain is changed but in a good way I did the high road training program a year ago then reset my scores and did it again a couple of months ago I was amazed at how much I retained from a year ago.....

Big guy problems

Chad, the seats you'll have out on the road should adjust well enough for you to be comfortable. Training trucks are notoriously awful at most schools so don't think anything of it. The trucks at the school I went to had a dinosaur protector over the front grill and the wheels were made of stone.

Come on Brett we all know you are not that old, now maybe a couple of the other moderators might be, but not you rofl-3.gif

Starter trucking companies?

I've had my cdl or a week now, I was with a mentor from swift, but he was terrible. I called swift and they told me to get to a nearby terminal, when I told my mentor he absolutely lost it, threatened to leave me on the highway. I told him swift said they wi fire him and he told me to shut the **** up, he told me to pack my **** and whipped my student handbook at my face, I'll be pressing charges. Now I'm on my way home and I'm not sure where to start at this point, I'm looking for dedicated or regional.

Hey Kazi where did you do your training for swift (please don't say Fontana) lol just curious to know if I may end up with that guy as a mentor. That guy sounds like a real ball of sunshine. Hope all goes ok with your family situation.

Another student for swift driving academy

Hey Mav, I'm starting in Fontana on the 16th, I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point. See you there.

You are commuting right? I'll be staying in the motel they provide, San Diego is too far to commute. can't wait will be an exciting adventure, see you there as well

Another student for swift driving academy

Congratulations, Mav! The pressure to pass at Swift can get to you, but just focus one step at a time.

Where are you taking your classes?

I will be taking my classes in Fontana

How should a driver average his speed for figuring out how many hours it will take to get to a destination if the governor is set at 72 mph

Pretty basic question for an "experienced driver".

rofl-3.gifrofl-3.gif Okay let's see here... I think that formula goes something like this:

miles per hour is: the tire radius divided by pie are squared, then you add the total distance of the trip and divide that by cornbread are round. Or, no, maybe I'm getting confused here... because cornbread is usually square and pies are almost always round, but somehow or another you have got to figure out how far it is that you are going and then if you can figure out what time you need to be there then you can use the tangent or the cosine of the angle of the support columns on the George Washington bridge to divide that distance with the governed speed of the truck and voila, you have got it.

And some people think truck drivers are not very smart! I beg to differ, we've got brains... just sit down at the lunch counter with us and we will prove it to ya!

I'm getting hungry now, I think I will go have some pie.

Lmfao. That was a great response

Another student for swift driving academy

Well it is official I am going to the swift driving academy on June 23rd, called the recruiter today to find out how my application was going and she found the email I sent her with my driving record and DD-214, and said I was good to go. A few minutes after I got off the phone with her I got an email saying congratulations you are scheduled for the academy, and 30 min after that got the email with the confirmation number for my greyhound bus ticket. This just got real. I know that I am well prepared for the permit test as I have gone thru the high road training program twice and continually take practice tests for it. I am a little nervous but excited to learn the actual driving part partly because I have never even been in a truck before but I am so looking forward to this new adventure. I'll try to keep everyone posted on my adventures

A month of trucking with Daniel B.

UPDATE

Just got that phone call I've been hoping for. I've been accepted into a driving position for DHE (Dependable Highway Express). Orientation, driving test has been scheduled for February 1st.

I will be home every other day. I will also have weekends off but have the option to work Saturday for extra money. They pay a minimum salary of 170$ per day or .35cpm whichever is greater. My minimum guaranteed salary will be 1,020$ per week. I will be hauling a dry van and my primary route will be Sacramrnto, CA to Fontana, CA with a run to WA and UT here and there. So no more ice road trucking for me!

Man, I feel great. Two years of hard work just paid off. My wife is ecstatic.

Remember folks, what you do now will have a huge impact on you in the future. Safety first, and as long as you don't hit anything you did alright!

As for me, I'm going to go celebrate!! Thank God!

Hey Daniel did you ever go work for DHE or are you still with Prime?

What to do...

Been seriously thinking about making videos again for my YouTube channel which I have slacked off on for a few years.

I am not a blogger like Abe the Idiot don't. Rarely I am in front of the camera myself though I am in a few.

Most videos on trucking have been done and redone many times.

Just not sure. Well think I will, if I start making them again, just make content for me and if others like it some much the better.

A day in the life of... Videos are great to watch like showing your truck at the shipper, what spot you have to back into, your trip planning thoughts , then switch to dash cam for the driving parts, and throw in the stops you make at truck stops/rest stops, and finally the receiver where you have to back into......

Straight Line Backing Troubles.

Not sure if this helps but I was told that its very easy to over stear when backing. I was also showed that when straight line backing grasp the top of your stearing will with your hand and turn the will in the direction you want the back of your trailer to go. So if you see the back of your trailer drifting to the left, you would turn the top of stearing wheel to the right. Hope that helps on that part.

I believe this instruction is incorrect, if the back of the trailer is drifting left and you turn the top of the wheel to the right you will go further left, you want to turn towards the problem, so if you are drifting left that is a problem so turn to the left and the trailer will go right...

Mission Accomplished

Congrats

Central Refrigerated Transport review

Where has Mr Smith gone? I am curious t hear he your training is going with your trainer...

Trucker Path Pro/Trucker Tools apps

Do not expect Verizon Navigator to make acceptable truck routes. (I use Google maps for free for general routing.) If you're buying a GPS, start with Rand McNally, who prints the Road Atlas, or Garmin's d─ôzl series, designed with truck/road redirections included. Most larger trucking companies have a GPS on the trucks already.

I have Trucker Tools and Trucker Path. I hardly use T Tools, but Path is my go-to for finding truck stops. Yes, Path does routing, but I drive by the Qualcomm GPS.

You can also get apps for TA, Flying J, etc., but if course they don't route or show other truck stops.

Hey Errol do you have gps in your swift company truck that the company provided?

CDL Practice Test App on Android

Just found the CDL Practice Test App on Android, it's cool application and helps out a lot, not having to go to PC all the time is a plus, I can just pull it up on my phone anytime. Not sure if it's on Apple Phones but I know it's on Android.

I agree that it is a good app just wish that it gave you more questions at a time like about 20

I don't care how old you are

Kids these days miss out on a lot. Scraped knees, summer tans from playing outside all day, grass stained pants, rolling down a grassy hill, walking to the nearby park and actually playing, getting truckers to honk their horn. Now the majority sit inside in front of a screen and eat junk food. It's a sad new world.

Well this is true, but also here in southern California the school system is different and the summers are not as long any more these days. They get longer breaks throughout the year also. I'm not saying this as an excuse but it does add to it.