Profile For Tony S.

Tony S.'s Info

Raleigh, NC

Considering A Career

5 years, 7 months ago

Tony S.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Walmart's New Truck looks AMAZING!

This is the most hideous truck ive ever seenshocked.png

That's the coolest truck I've ever seen! smile.gif

agreed.

Running on Empty

I know there would be very little down time but I was curious what you all do to relax and have a little fun while not driving.

Didn't mean anything else by it.

Tony, I knew exactly what you meant, it was just comical to me at the moment because I was so busy. I would have been more than happy to get a little down-time this weekend, but in this business it's kind of like that old saying about "making hay while the sun shines". When they've got all kinds of loads they can give you the freight prices tend to start increasing and it gives your company an opportunity to maybe start making a profit during that time of the year. That is definitely the time you want to shine as a dependable responsible driver that is willing to "get er done". With the current regulations in place any flat-bed driver that's doing over 3,000 miles a week is more than likely doing some of his work (loading/securing) while his clock is on the sleeper berth line. If you do too much of this you may not be getting the proper rest. A responsible driver knows his limits, and acts accordingly. The load I got for this weekend is a 700 mile trip with the load already on a pre-loaded trailer that I pick up this morning. So that gives me a chance to take it a little easier this weekend and catch up on my rest.

Tony, as to your question about entertainment, I enjoy reading and perusing Trucking Truth's forum, and I keep a few DVDs in my truck that I can watch on my lap-top. My daughter gave me a set of CDs of C. S. Lewis's "Chronicles of Narnia" books that I some times enjoy listening to while driving. I also like to get out and take lengthy walks if I'm in an area that is interesting to me. I've been known to just walk laps around the truck stop for some exercise, I just feel better after driving all day if I can get out and get my heart-rate up a little with some mild exercise.

Thanks for the response!

Running on Empty

Didn't mean anything else by it.

What is your in truck entertainment for down times?

Just remember you can have your PS3 with you but the internet that will be required to play and download updates will kill you in the cost department. Now if you can play it without Internet connection then you will be good. I don't know anything about console game sets as I am an avid PC gamer.

figured as much. What kind of games do you play guy?

I am an addict of MLB The Show.

What is your in truck entertainment for down times?

Down time? What is this of which you speak?

I have audio books and a speech to text program I use to write stories with. Also have satellite radio.

LOL...I just meant when you have to wait at shippers and receivers and when you are done driving for the day.

What is your in truck entertainment for down times?

I remember when I was with my trainer he had a ps2 and tv set. Too bad we never got to play them though. Never could get a power converter big enough to handle them all. A laptop will work just fine though, I am using one right now even with the truck powered off.

I need my PS3! LOL Nah, i'll make due.

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

I was also in the same boat. I found this website in 12/13 and read my butt off. I applied to Central, Swift, Prime Inc, and Knight Transportation. I got my CDL PERMIT in my state of Louisiana talked about all the companies with my wife and children and we choose Knight Transportation. My advice is just read as much as you can and stay away from the other website. This is my first week at Knight Transportation got my driver code yesterday and I'm still excited! Good luck to you.good-luck.gif

awesome!

Starting A Career In Trucking With DUI - My Story

Awesome to see how you have matured and changed your life! I am rooting for you Bill!

What is your in truck entertainment for down times?

Since I am contemplating a career in trucking, I was wondering what you guys and gals have in your truck as entertainment? If/when I start OTR I'd like to have my laptop, tablet, TV and PS3 with me as I travel. Also some good books.

So tell, what do you guys have?

At a crossroads and in need of direction!!

Great stuff Rob! So happy for you! I am someone who is leaning towards a career in trucking and leaving the world of IT. I will be following you journey and use it as inspiration!

God bless and good luck!

Got a Pre-Hire from Prime Inc. Today

Excellent! good luck Bill!

It was like an epiphany...truck driving is exactly what I want to do

Oh...and I am already sweating thinking aboiut learning how to back one of those bad boys up LOL

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

It was like an epiphany...truck driving is exactly what I want to do

Welcome Tony.

As you know you are in the right place.

All the resources here are top notch and one cannot fail if they put in the time and effort to make informed decisions as well as study (study, study, study) the CDL training materials offered. That being said the most important or benificial thing you will find here, in my opinion, is the honesty and the attitude that is protrayed and passed along to those who are taking this gaint leap.The right attitude leading to the right work ethic surely seems to make all the difference when out on the road. And although this is just as true in anything we do it seems to be even more so when that load has to get there and the 'road' throws all it has to offer at you. Those that manage and moderate this this site and forum have the right attitude in spades and pass it on with honesty and a true desire to help...

With your determination and their help success is at your finger tips.

Thanks! Great advice!

It was like an epiphany...truck driving is exactly what I want to do

Thanks for all the great advice! I will read everything on this site as suggested. I really want this.

It was like an epiphany...truck driving is exactly what I want to do

Welcome aboard Tony!

The perfect place to start is our Truck Driver's Career Guide. Read through it thoroughly from beginning to end and follow all of the links you come across. You'll learn mountains of information about getting your trucking career off to a great start. That guide will link to all of the various resources we have here and you'll see we have a ton of em!

Thanks Brett! Will do!

It was like an epiphany...truck driving is exactly what I want to do

Morning Tony, and welcome!

There are plenty of resources on this site to get you started. The more you read, the more you'll form questions you didn't even know to ask. You'll get some answers I'm sure. There's lots of helpful, experienced drivers on this site. If you get to the point where you're definitely willing to commit to this career / lifestyle, the High Road Training is aces.

Here's some links to get started: Truck Driver's Career GuideTruck Driving Blogs

Thanks Bill! This website is a fantastic resource.

It was like an epiphany...truck driving is exactly what I want to do

Hi all. My name is Tony and I currently work in the IT industry in the Raleigh, North Carolina area. I am a single man 44 years old with no children. I have been in IT since the 90's and while the job has paid the bills and has been a decent career, I have never been fulfilled. I just do not want to be a 9-5 worker anymore and honestly, I never really have. I want to be on my own and I want to explore this great country of ours while being paid to do something that I have always loved; drive!

That's the epiphany I had not too long ago...I have always LOVED to drive. Doesn't matter the distance. I love to explore and most of all I love to be out on my own! My destiny is to be a truck driver!

I am brand new to this so really any words of encouragement and advice would be greatly appreciated! I guess I have the usual greenhorn questions...my first question is broad,....how do I start this journey? I want this! I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for reading this and be safe out on the roads!