Profile For Gunner

Gunner's Info

DeLand, FL

In CDL School

4 years, 10 months ago

Gunner's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Learning a new language

Try Language101.com. It's make you repeat common phrases and sentences and times them to repeat based on how you did the last time. You won't learn how to write it but it's great for retaining information. Also, YouTube videos are amazing. I watch German sitcom's with German subtitles so I can see what they are saying. They I watch the same one with English subtitles. Music videos with subtitles are great too. I actually learned a lot of German by watching Ramstein videos with German subtitles. Even if you don't know what they are saying you are hearing it spoken and will eventually pick up on it.

No Driving school, but successfully tested & obtained Florida CDL Class A License - What are my options for jobs/companies?

Not sure where you live but try Windy Hill Transportation. They have a location in Wisconsin as well as one in Eustis FL. They are a smaller company but as long as you have a CDL and can pass their road test they will place you with a trainer and get you going. They transport foliage. I applied but haven't been in a truck in 14 years and didn't think I'd pass the road test so I opted for a refresher course through a larger company sponsored school. Can't hurt to call them and ask.

Is a Refresher Course worth the effort

The refresher course is all you really need. The largest portions of the 3 week classes is book work just to get your permit and then pass a state road test. The company you are going to work for is going to teach you all the driving fundamentals thru a 1 week refresher and then 6 weeks otr. I am in the same boat, except I havent been in a truck since 2002. Going to FFE refresher next week out in TX. The refresher is designed to get the rust off without all the course work.

Anyone work for FFE

Thanks for the input. It's taken me a few years to finally make the leap out of sales so I'm super excited to get started. Lots of unknowns but I know once I get out there I'll settle in nicely.

Forgot to say it, but I am glad to see you get this thing off the ground!

Anyone work for FFE

Hey, heading out to my 6 day refresher to FFE in TX next week. Just wondering if anyone here works for them that may have some POSITIVE input/advice as to what to expect. Things to take, whether my current med card will work or if I'll need a new physical out there, do they train on manuals or autos (really don't want to train on an auto). Anyway, stuff like that. Appreciate any positive input. R

Promissory note Problems

It's a scare tactic. The person calling you isn't an actual attorney ( he would have to tell you if he was ). He's basically just a salesmen working for a law firm on commission. His job is to scare you into paying so he can get his cut. Read up on Fair Debt Collections Act. Ton of information on there if you are being harassed by debt collectors. Provides info on what they can and can not do.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Tough Call...What would you do?

Probably a really dumb question but I don't work in the industry yet so I can get away with it. What is the next load going to consist of? Do you know yet? If the temp of the next load can be maintained at 42 degrees I say drop off the first one, roll the second one and then get it fixed. Of course, that depends on if the temp in the trailer will maintain at 42 degrees the entire time or if it will just get warmer. Like I said....it's a dumb question.....just trying to think in advance.

Frozen Food Express

They only hire out of Mississippi or Texas unless you already have a CDL in which they'll send you to their refresher course which is 11 days. After the refresher they send you to a 2 day orientation, which is paid, and then you go on the road with a trainer. Their training facility is awesome and you can view all of their you tube videos either on their website or on you tube directly. Just type in FFE.

Non compete agreement

The design behind these agreements is based off of whether you have "trade secrets" that you may be able to share with another company. They are actually very difficult for employers to win because many courts look at them as simply preventing people from getting a new job. They are huge in the sales business and companies get away with them because they simply wont hire u unless you sign it. They are total BS. Just another way for companies to make you stick around for a while. Any decent lawyer could crush the standard non-compete clause though but very few people fight them.

Possible Background Hiccup...

From what I've seen most companies will require you to fill out a declaration of unemployment or self employment in which you'll need two references, with phone numbers, who can verify what you were doing at that time and that you were infact unemployed. It's just to verify your whereabouts during that time. As far as the time served Thing i can only recommend to make sure you tell them the truth about where you were and explain your case. Always better to tell the truth. Best thing is to call a recruiter, mention it, and go from there. Jmo

How Long Does It Take?

Just out of curiosity how long does it usually take from the time you fill out the application until you find out whether you are approved to attend the school. My recruiter is working on the file now. I've spent the last 3 years having to hold off on trucking b/c of some issues with my house but now that it's finally all settled I am finally ready to go for it. Just sent in another application to FFE. I was approved last year but don't remember the length of time it took to find out I was good to go.. I'm hoping to get rolling within the next few weeks.....mid Oct at the latest. Going to their 11 day refresher in Lancaster TX.

If Anyone can help me I would really appreciate it

I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure there are laws in place that require certain agencies or testing facilities to have other options available for people with learning disabilities. Even if it's just them giving you more time to take the test. I would look into that. Do some research online or even call your local DMV and ask if they provide other methods of testing.

You people don't get it

Maybe they read your profile on here and had second thoughts. rofl-2.gif

Want to know your thoughts on Swift

Want to know more about Swift Transportation like the real truth behind it. Many of the videos online are saying its good place to work for and bad too. I just don't know who to believe because I hear that swift pays people to say good things about them.

The only way to determine good from bad is to experience them first hand. Honestly, most of the people that ***** about their jobs or the companies they work for simply have crappy attitudes. Everyone I've talked to that works for swift loves them. Ive met alot of guys just in the last few months with swift. They are all happy. Try not to focus on the negative reviews. They are mostly from brats with garbage attitudes

Advise

Hello all, Ready to pull the trigger on obtaining my CDL A, I have three options here in Minnesota. 1. Century College 5 weeks 4k. 2. Heavy Metal Truck driving school 5 weeks 4k or 3. Hire on with a carrier who will train me, but make me commit to a time period. Any advise and or thoughts would be great. I need to make the decision in the next couple of days.

Thanks Ken

Really just depends on whether you want to take money out of pocket or let a company flip the bill for you. Personally, i think it's a no brainer to go with a company sponsored school but that is just me. If you can't commit to a company for a year, no matter what kind of job it is, than trucking is probably the wrong career choice anyway. Just my viewpoint. Find the right company for you, give them a year, and you still have 4-6k in your pocket and a great job.

Deflated - Celadon, Knight, Roehl Won't Take Me & Pushing Roadmasters

Knight still offers cdl training but they only recruit out of certain states now. FL is not one of them unless according to their website. They have a terminal in lakeland but its just a terminal........no training.

I stated this wrong................they dont train at all. They only recruit out of certain states but you have to attend private school now. This is per their website

Deflated - Celadon, Knight, Roehl Won't Take Me & Pushing Roadmasters

Deflated - Celadon, Knight, Roehl Won't Take Me & Pushing Roadmasters

Have you looked into swift. They accept people out of fl all the time and have a terminal in ocala.

Love's truck stop Ormond Beach FL (Destination Daytona)

Just curious if anyone frequently stops here. I work at the Harley dealership next door selling bikes and meet ALOT of truckers throughout my day visiting the dealership while in town. I've had some great conversations and most of the truckers I've talked to seem to love their jobs. Of course there are always the few that have nothing good to say but I just let them vent. It's actually tough walking next door to Loves, through all the trucks, and knowing how bad I want to move forward with the career change but, unfortunately, I'm still not in a position to do it yet. Have a few bills I need to eliminate first before I'll feel comfortable with the switch. Anyway, just curious if maybe I've already met some of you and didn't know it. If you're on a break stop in the dealership and say hi. It would be pretty cool to shoot the breeze in person.

I am poison to most trucking companies

I thought you were leaving the forum Patrick? Bye Felicia

Your profile says you are 25 by the way. Married in 1978 though? Hmmmm, that's interesting. You didn't do too well in math class did ya?

Roll Tide, go phillies, fly eagles fly.