Comments By Gunner

https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y529/rsueter/imagejpg2_zps6a34de0e.jpg avatar
  • Gunner
  • Comments:

I am poison to most trucking companies

So, how about those Phillies huh? Having a tough year but I think they will be a top contender again soon. Go Eagles and Roll Tide ya'll

Lost license to child support will this be an issue to get hired

So glad i never had kids. All that child support stuff sounds like a major headache. Stay single and wrap it up my friends.

Truck Drivers and College Degrees??

Hey, I was interested in getting into trucking but I saw you have to be at least 21. Like most people, I will be graduating high school at 18. That is 3 years of time I won't be able to truck. And truck driving school is only a few weeks. I know their isn't no degree in "trucking" but what would be similar to it that would help my resume? And, how much would it effect my pay per mile, if any? Thank you!!

Having a college degree can only benefit you in the long run but it won't have any effect on your pay as a trucker. You could be a neurosurgeon and you'll still get 35c per mile, roughly. :)

Looks like being honest just burnt one bridge.....

It's kind of a catch 22 with some of these companies who ask if you've EVER smoked but then they turn around and say must be 5 years or more. Realistically, there are more pot smokers than cigarette smokers, at least in FL, so its actually hard to believe when someone says they have never smoked. I actually really dont smoke but have tried it a few times over my lifetime. When i applied to swift a while back i put on my app that i took a hit in july 2009 at a 4th of july party. They didnt seem to have an issue with it. I was invited to their millington school but decided to hold off a bit. Anyway, i think that 5 year thing with central is a bit overboard on their part. Ton of other companies out there that wont care past 90 days.

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Did my stint in the Navy first, then college with a degree in criminal justice. In 2000 I took a sales director gig with a major software company thinking i would just use it to pay for law school or until i found out what i "really wanted to do". I also had this overwhelming passion for trucking and always found the lifestyle exciting. Anyway, i never intended on a long term sales career and ended up spending the next 12 years *****ing about how I hated sales but i had everyone telling me I'd be stupid to give up, what would end up becoming a multi 6 figure a year job. So i gave up the idea of law school and put my "obsession" with trucking to the side all in the name of the mighty dollar. I DEEPLY REGRET THAT and still beat myself up everyday for not following my heart back then. So, i stuck it out till 2012, did just enough to not get fired, collected my commissions, ****ed away most of my money on cars and motorcycles, took a beating on my house because the economy crashed, until i finally said enough is enough and resigned in sept 2012, determined to finally be a trucker. That got delayed, unfortunately, because of a long drawn out battle with my bank over my house which just finally ended in october. Currently "tinkering" around in real estate and getting ready to attend a CSS but now just have to convince the wife, hence the real delay. Anyway, i spend every day wishing I had become a trucker. Never intended on a sales career. I hate salesmen.

Well, thats my story and im sticking to it. The moral of this story kiddies is " do what your heart tells you". Money is great but it definitely doesnt bring happiness. Take it from me..........ive spent 15 years in a career I despise, sales, all because i listened to other people who said go for the money. I shoulda been a trucker. My beard would be down to my knees by now.

Whewwww, it actually feels good to get that out there. Never realized how miserable i really was until i typed it all out. Think it's time to tell the wife she is gonna have to accept the fact sales is over for me. It's time to stop "planning to be a trucker" and just become one. K......carry on. :).

US Trucking didn't except me

I applied to US Truck last week and went through all the steps. I have a good driving record and super clean criminal record. And, today they carrier didn't except me, they said for me try again in 3 months. I don't get it?

I wouldn't read into it.. It's the slow season for hiring which just so happens to pick up again in 3 months. That's probably all it was.

Werner orientation

Yes. 3 days in lakeland

Truck Drivers Road Music... favorite songs for favorite stretches of highway

Oh I forget one.......always Bruce Springsteen when I'm headin to Jersey!

New Jersey reminds me of the song "I hate everything about you" by Ugly Kid Joe. Maybe it's because I grew up there and despise everything about that state. Not sure. Either way......NJ doesn't warrant anything pleasant to listen to. JMO

Truck Drivers Road Music... favorite songs for favorite stretches of highway

I-90 rollin' through Montana always goes good with either Skynard's Free Bird or Bob Seger's Still the Same. Actually, Seger goes great anywhere.

Religious nature of business

Sorry, cant help but chime in on this. I love controversial topics. I would consider myself an atheist as well BUT i have never understood those atheists that seem to be pushing their atheism onto others. I guess what im saying is to patrick. By pushing your atheism on us, in a trucking forum of all places, it seems to me your a bit more religious than u like to believe. A true atheist wouldnt care, and certainly, wouldnt get offended by other religions or their places of worship. U kinda contradict yourself.

If you are trying to convince us of your non-belief we believe you and we are very proud of you. (Insert smiley face). We just want you to be happy patrick. So, please' as you go thru your company training please focus on the road and not so much on concering yourself with what religion the trucker is in front of you. After all, an an atheist your not suppossed to get offended by other peoples religion. Time to find a new obsession young (or old ) man. Not sure since your either 25 or 66. You have a wife but also "dont believe in marriage".

Anyway, on to more important subjects. HOW ABOUT THOSE OAKLAND A's? Cant wait till opening day

Part GPS, part tablet, part dashcam?

I got an email about this little bit of gadgetry and it caught my attention.

Rand McNally TND Tablet

Pretty interesting. Conspicuously absent is any mention of a price. I'll have to keep my eye out and see what they're asking.

They retail for about 500 bucks.

How to find out which companies have terminals around Orlando

Family wants to move to Fla. and so far Knight Transportation has one in lakeland which is exactly where we would be moving but I think Orlando is closest big city

Werner Enterprises has a terminal in Lakeland as well. Swift is out of Ocala. I live in DeLand, in between Daytona and Orlando, and also haven't come up with a ton. FFE has a terminal in Winter Park which is just outside of Orlando so that's probably your closest one. Lakeland is only about 30 minutes from downtown so don't rule that out either. Tampa is only about 45 minutes to an hr so any terminals in those areas really would be perfect anyway.

When common courtesy bites you in the arse

Just wanted to add NJ to the list of assclown drivers. All of it.....not just Parsippany/Caldwell.....the whole state. I grew up in NJ and understand what all the jokes mean now.

Broke down or abandoned??

So for the past week there has been a Trans Am rig parked in the small shopping center right down the street from my house. It's actually the parking lot of a gym but rigs park there often to rest up. Anyway, this rig has been here for about 8 days. At first I though he was getting in his 34 hours to restart his 70 but now Im wondering if it's been abandoned or broke down. Would it normally take this long to get rolling again if broke down. I would think the company would have gotten someone out here by now. Abandoned maybe?? Just curious

Question on HazMat endorsement

Tanker and hazmat is combined so you'll get an X to cover both.

Swift School in Utah??

My fiancé was contacted by a recruiter today and she said that he would have to go to Missouri for a week and then Utah for the school? I can't find any info for this? Is this correct? Anyone been there?

Swift doesnt have a school in utah or in Missouri. Im heading to millington TN end of month. They have one in Idaho. Someone that currently drives for swift may have more info but it's news to me and ive done a ton of research on them

List of things to pack if you are going to Prime

Howdy everyone,

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I think I am finally ready for my new adventure. Have my learners permit in hand with necessary endorsements and my final call from my recruiter at Prime. He said everything looks great for me on my end but I won't be able to meet him during orientation since he will be on Vacation (one day would like to shake his hand). He made everything easy on me, never had one issue come up on his end. So I will have another recruiter helping me once I get there if I have any issues.

I have my Greyhound ticket for Jan 3. I have to say I am not looking forward to the 34 hour bus ride.

I know it's a little late for this but if you're finances can support it, just an FYI, all the company sponsored schools will reimburse you if you choose to drive or fly to the school. A bus ride is grueling so if you are able to on the short notice, rent a car, save your receipts, and they will cover the cost up to the amount of the bus ticket.....about 225 or so.

Good luck at Prime

WOW!! That was fast

Congrats Gunner!!! Question,,,, do I have to have my cdl first before starting the process of getting my hazmat endorsement?

You do actually have to have the cdl before you can get a hazmat........at least in fl. I would recommend you go to your local dmv in marietta and ask them what the steps are. In fl, dmv does everything for you. They take your prints and send out the app for your background check. Cost was about 120.00 total. You can also go to tsa's website and download the app.

WOW!! That was fast

Got my DL with my hazmat endorcement included on it today. I was expecting a wait time of a few months and it came back in 2 weeks. Tallahassee just sent it right to my house. Dont even have to go back to dmv. Should make applying for jobs ALOT easier. The online training on here was key so thank you for that. On the log book section now which has been challenging, to say the least. Alot of strange rules in there

Uploading pic for Avatar

Okay, I need help here... I have been working on this and still can't get my photo from photobucket to go as my avatar... I have Windows 8.1 so maybe that might be the difference... I don't know.. I follow all the instructions on how to do it and am not seeing the things I am supposed to see like the link and how to copy it... I copy and paste it into my avatar web address and it doesn't come up..... Does anyone here know how to do it and explain this to me.... I have worked with computers for 14 years and can't get it.. Kind of frustrating.... ugh!! Please help!!! confused.gif

If u r using an ipad or tablet just tap the photo you want to use so it opens up that photo. On the right side you'll see the "direct link" box. Tap so your cursor is inside that frame and hit select all. The entire line will highlight then tap copy. From there just paste it into your profile box and hit save. I just changed mine so it works.