Comments By John P.

https://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n227/johnputman27/14a26c29-8393-40a1-a83a-86c707cfd032_zps90d00520.jpg avatar
  • John P.
  • Comments:

Starting CDL School with Western Pacific Truck School

Got My CDL Permit today and Doubles Endorsement...! dancing.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing.gif

Way to go, John!!!!

Thanks Bud!

Hey there and a couple of questions.....

I just found this website a few days ago as I'm looking to get into driving. Work in my area has slowed up to a crawl with few prospects and I need to keep the roof over the heads of my wife and dogs. I have been looking in the classified ads in towns around me and truck driving jobs are the most prevalent. My younger brother has been driving OTR for the last three years, says most companies are looking for drivers and has steered me in this direction.

I have been researching with the help of this site and with some advice from my brother, am looking at getting into a training program with Prime if they will have me. Seems like a pretty good company to work for and my brother says they treat their drivers well. He has even spoke to a few company drivers out on the road and they say the same thing.

A bit about me. I suppose I'm a bit older than most of those looking to get into driving at 53. I come from a 25 year career in commercial and residential construction and had my own company from 2006 until 2011. I'm in good shape for my age and my wife says I still act like I'm in my thirties. I have a clean driving and criminal record. I think the last time I got a ticket was back in the late 80's and no accidents.

So I guess my two big questions are, is my age going to be any detriment to being considered for a job as a trainee and is Prime as decent of a company as I have been led to believe?

Any comments or words of advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for this great website.

Craig

Welcome Craig! There are alot of us older guys getting into this industry. I'm sure you will do very well! Good Luck!

Starting CDL School with Western Pacific Truck School

Need Opinions - School or get CDL myself

David, this is my experience: When it comes to first year pay, you just need to concentrate on doing your very best and building a good solid relationship with your dispatcher so that they know you are dependable. That is the key to making money at this stuff. It's not about making sure you get the most cents per mile, it's all about proving yourself to your dispatcher so that they know they can trust you with lots of miles. I made considerably more my first year than most rookie drivers, but it was because I did certain things that would boost my pay. I stayed out on the road for longer periods of time than most rookies are willing to do, I never said word about a load that I didn't like, I just busted my tail on every one that came my way. I delivered early any chance I could. I kept my dispatcher busy just trying to keep up with me. A good dispatcher loves guys that do that, and they will reward you.

Okay, having said all that I will tell you that Prime pays some of the highest pay in the industry for rookie drivers, and if you take one of their lightweight trucks, their pay is over the top.

This is great advice Old School. I'm planning on doing the best I can to follow the same philosophy. Put my head down and grind it out with a smile! smile.gif

Need Opinions - School or get CDL myself

If I went with a company paid training then I wouldnt drive with him. I just thought it would be a good way to get the experience. After reading Randy J's diary, I am thinking about just getting my permit and going with Prime. So far thats the best training company I have read on the forums.

Still reading though. Trying to find what the pay is like while in training and driving with an instructor and also what it is when you get your own truck. I tried looking on primes website but didnt see anything about the pay.

Don't forget to weigh the option of going to a private school if you have the financial means to do so. Like a 0 % credit card offer. Many companies offer tuition reimbursement without the need for a contract. The private school route can open a few more doors. Whatever you do stick with that first company for a year no matter what. Then the world is your oyster!

Starting CDL School with Western Pacific Truck School

Day 2) Review on General Knowledge, Combination and Doubles and Triples plus we highlighted all the Air Brakes stuff we will be reading tomorrow. The instructor gave us homework; which is just reading ONLY THE HIGHLIGHTED AREAS WE HAVE COVERED SO FAR.....plus I have to study for the class C test as well since they will make me take that again. I just went to the DMV site and did the practice tests plus I read the manual. Anyway, we waste alot of time waiting but the training seems to be pretty effective. I guess I'll know if I don't get my permit on Friday! smile.gif

Starting CDL School with Western Pacific Truck School

The training program really works. The repetition helps. Go ahead and do as many as you can. I tested on the basics first when I got my permit including Tanker and Doubles. I went back later for the Hazmat. Good to get it all out of the way. Either way keep drilling it into your head. Good luck and keep us posted. I start Monday with Central in Fontana.

Good Luck with Central! I'll get all my endorsements done by Monday or Tuesday of next week....It's going pretty good so far.

Starting CDL School with Western Pacific Truck School

Day 1) Paper Log Books and Started on the CDL Manual study questions. The instructor just had us highlight only the stuff she wants us to read and nothing more. Apparently it's part of their system for passing the first stage of testing to get your permit, so you don't get overwhelmed. However, I'm glad I started the high road training program ahead of time cause I basically got no sleep last night. I'll try to post something everyday....

Finally got my truck!

Good Luck Chris and congrats on the new rig!

Finally got my truck!

I'll be rolling out tomorrow on my first solo flatbed load for Prime. It's a 2015 with only 14000 miles. The truck is ready I loaded all my flatbed gear in it and am just waiting for my fridge to get installed tomorrow. I already have a load going to Iowa sitting the yard.

Hey Chris,

Congrats on the new truck! I just noticed your photos and it looks like you worked for SYGMA. Did you not like working for them? If so, what made you change to flatbed?

Finally got my truck!

Congrats and be safe out there Chris!good-luck.gif

Bedding options?

During training a sleeping bag is the way to go, but once you get your own truck go for real bedding. Sheets and bedspread and the like. Sleep is super important to me and I am very serious about the mattress I use. This is the mattress I use Sleep Dawg . In my opinion by far one of the best mattresses I have ever used. And you have to remember I am a team truck so our truck never stops. This mattress is great for stopping road vibrations an other movements. I have used one since 2009 in a truck. I will never go back to a normal truck mattress again.

I know the price is a bit steep but totally worth it especially with the 120 night trial offer. Great company to work with.

Guy,

Thanks for this post. I am very picky about my mattress as well and now I have a great resource. Cheers!

Update To CDL Practice Questions

Brett,

I'm only about 10% into the program but as far as I can tell it is working very well. I recommend this learning tool to anyone who will listen. I really like how it encourages memorization. Great Job and Thank you!

thank-you.gifthank-you-2.gifthank-you.gif

Oh and I am using it on my desktop PC for now.

Update To CDL Practice Questions

Brett,

thank-you.gifthank-you-2.gifthank-you.gif

May Trucking?

May pays .32 by the end of your first year and they do have an idle policy effects your fuel consumption and the dock you, I have a friend that drives for May their reefer div likes them, he has a dog so the idle policy does not affect him. I would have gone with May as they pay better than some, but no female trainer for at least a month, so I went with Werner they pay .25cents to start and finish at .29 at the end of 12 months, they allow pets and have a rider policy, they run dry, reefer and flat. Told you get to take the truck home if not in a terminal range. Will know more after next Wednesday headed for orientation. Will let you know. Look at System, Melton or TMC they are flat bedders, no pets though. Have a great time in school

Thanks, Tracy! I will take a look at those other companies as well. Please let me know how it goes and good luck!

May Trucking?

John, even tho its nice to stay in a region you know...unless you want to stay in that region for the rest of your trucking life, you will need to get REAL OTR experience...which is basically driving all lower 48 states. If you can drive CA, and not go postal, you can drive anywhere....after all...its a asphalt !!!

Baaahaahaaa! rofl-2.gif Great point! rofl-3.gif Part of the reason I like the idea of going OTR is BECAUSE of CA! smile.gif

Improving our trucking company information

How much $ for Tarping/ Untarping when flatbedding?

May Trucking?

You would have to talk to recruiters about pay for different companies and divisions. As far as Prime the best pay for a driver starting out is to drive a lightweight truck in the reefer division. They pay you an extra .05 cents per mile to drive a lightweight truck. Flatbed division uses full size trucks. I believe it's .42 cpm for the lightweight truck but I could be off by a cent or two. The lightweight trucks are lighter and smaller so you can haul more weight in the trailer. The sleeper is also smaller than a full size truck.

Ok good to know, Thanks!

Improving our trucking company information

Hey all! I'm getting ready to update our trucking company reviews and information section. I want to make it a million times easier to compare companies and find the company that's right for you. We're going to add a whole bunch of new companies and a lot more information on each one. Here's the basic list I have right now of everything I'm going to find out about these companies. Is there anything you'd like to know about trucking companies when you're doing your research that isn't listed here?

And listen - don't be shy! Speak up! You guys are the ones doing the research. My goal is to make sure you find all of the information you need to make a great decision right here at TruckingTruth. If you have to go anywhere else to find the info you need then I'm missing something. That's not good. So let's prevent that from happening.

What should I add to this list?

Number of tractors

Speed Of Trucks

APU / Idle Policy?

Electronic / Paper Logs?

Hiring Area

Operating Area

Company Training Duration

Forced To Team After Training?

Types Of Freight

Salary

- average weekly solo - average weekly team - pay during training - starting pay - pay after 6 months - pay after 1 year

Benefits

Tuition Reimbursement?

Hometime Policy

Rider And Pet Policy?

Team Opportunities?

Canada Border Crossing Policy

Forced Dispatch To New York City?

Haul Hazardous Materials?

% Drop And Hook?

Forced Dispatch?

Local / Regional / Dedicated Opportunities?

Hey Brett, First of all, Thank you for all your hard work on this awesome site! I was thinking it would be great to see the deductibles on health benefits plans the company offers, I know that's one of the most important questions I ask when it comes to health care benefits. Cheers!

Just some information to check out...

I'm noticing we've got a totally new group of folks that probably aren't aware of some of the threads that I've done for anyone considering pay or is curious about the pay for their first year. So here's some links for you guys to check out.

Exact First Year's Pay: Week by Week!

Inside Prime's Lightweight!

Day to Day Documentation!

By the way, that's TruckingTruth's largest thread ever :)

Thanks for reposting this Daniel!