Comments By Joshua

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0919485001541184939-15322.jpg avatar
  • Joshua
  • Comments:

Starting with KLLM on June 30th

Well I have known for awhile now that I was approved to attend the KLLM driving academy in a little over a week. I'm pretty nervous (which is normal I hear) and very excited. Although this may not have been my first choice, I believe this company is going to be a great fit for me. I have never been around reefers so that is certainly going to be interesting to learn all about. From what I have read, it seems KLLM is a pretty good company to drive for and has a great training program. I'm just ready to get started! I don't believe there any TT members that drive for KLLM so I may be the first and will try my best to put together a good CDL training diary as well as my other experiences.

Question about physical requirements

I know with a company I went through a physical with you had to pick up a 40 pound box on the ground and put it on a shelf above your head then remove a 50 pound box from that shelf and put it on the floor and lastly pick up a 60 pound box and put it on a shelf about 4 feet high. As for height, I know you have to be able to fully depress the clutch and brake but not sure how tall that is

Question about team driving - Is this possible???

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I had a feeling they were way off on their "estimate" of how long it would take to reach 240,000 miles. They should definitely remove that lie from their website! ha

Question about team driving - Is this possible???

Well I have started researching trucking companies again due to my recent setback. One company that really stands out to me is Celadon. It seems like they have a great training program and a good company to drive for. The only thing I don't care for is that they make you team drive after graduation. They say that you must drive 240,000 miles team before you can go solo and that it should take about 6 months. For some reason this just does not add up to me though. If you do 240,000 miles in 6 months that would have you doing 40,000 miles per month which is 10,000 miles a week. Is this even possible? From what I have heard that most team drivers can barely get 5,000 miles per week which at that rate would take about 12 months to do a combined 240,000 miles.

Yes!!! Finally got approved!

Keep us posted! Celadon is actually one of the companies I am currently considering but the only thing I don't like about them is that they make you team drive for like 6 months after you graduate. Other than that, they seem like a great company to train with and drive for.

Minnesota State Patrol searching for semi that nearly hit girl waiting for school bus

Why though did the bus not pull over onto the shoulder itself instead of stopping in the middle of the highway? Sooner or later something like this is going to happen and someone will get killed.

I wonder the same thing as buses around here going down a major (four line) highway with a 65 MPH speed limit do the same thing and stop in the middle of the road. It seems they should make a law stating school buses must pull over to the side of the road to pick up and drop off children.

That bus should be over on the side IMO..... One thing I noticed if you take it frame by frame it would seem the lights on bus came on at the last second and the traffic coming the other way never slowed down....

You're right. I think the bus driver should be at fault some here not giving very much warning for the driver to know they were stopping. True he may have been going faster than he should but the bus driver also has a responsibility to warn others of when they are stopping. Also everyone is beating up on the driver for passing on the right, however, according to the state manuals THAT is exactly what he was supposed to do to avoid hitting the bus!

Why would Knight Transportation reject someone?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I think you're right that there are a lot of applicants and they are more or less having to pick and choose who to accept. Also I think part of this problem was when applying to get a CDL with knight is that you are dealing with two companies, Knight Transportation and their sister company Squire Transportation which is the company that handles the training part. From my research about this, it appears Knight wanted me but it was Squire that rejected me. Oh well it was just strange to me that I haven't had any tickets or accidents but was declined. Not giving up though! Going to start applying at other companies soon.

So now I have a new question! Who in everyone's opinion is the best company to go with that offers company sponsored CDL training? I have been through the Company-Sponsored Training page on this site and used it to research them but not sure about some of them. I would prefer dry van for various reasons which is making companies like Pam Transport, USA truck and Swift look appealing but since Pam and USA don't have their own truck schools and use driver solutions, it makes me weary. Swift seems like a great company with tons of options but have a lot of upfront money needed for their schooling which isn't a deal breaker but the less needed the better. There is one company though that I cannot find anyone who knows anything about but seems like a company with a great training program and good equipment. That is KLLM. They are the closest to where I live but they are a reefer company so that has its own concerns for me as a new driver for reasons like having to worry with fueling the trailer or "jumping" the trailer off if it is not running or even worse having the trouble of dealing with if it breaks down. I mean I'm not exactly brand new to the trucking industry (my dad has been a driver for 20 years and my father-in-law is an O/O making a killing hauling regional flatbed) but I haven't had any experience being around reefers. Again thank you all for the great advice so far and I look forward to hearing what else everyone has to say!

Why would Knight Transportation reject someone?

So here is my story... After months of researching I finally decided on Knight transportation as the company I wanted to go with. After reviewing their website, I found out I would need my permit so a few weeks ago I got my DOT physical and passed the written tests to earn my CDL permit. So last week, applied with Knight and shortly after my recruiter called me to explain everything to me and to get more info. A few days later she was done with my background check and said everything came out fine so we proceeded. Next I had to fill out tons of pre hire forms and once I finished that I had to go get a company physical and drug test so yesterday I drove to the Gulfport, MS terminal and passed the company physical/fitness test and drug/alcohol test. Everything was looking great and my recruiter said she was just waiting to see when my start date would be for training, however, for some unknown reason she emailed me today and said that she had passed my application and information to safety and safety had decided to pass on me. She said they did not disclose to her the reason so that is all the info she had and that I could try and reapply with them in 6 months. My question is this, if I have passed every test they have thrown at me and had no issues with my background, why would they just pass on me?

Question about Online CDL program

I have to repeat what a lot of others have said on here that the High Road Training Program is all you really need. I just took my CDL permit test last week and passed it on the first try with no problem (even shocked the DMV lady how fast I got through it ha) and all I studied was the high road. True I "skimmed" the Mississippi state manual just for good measure but thats about it. The high road helped me pass my test with no problem. I even passed the doubles/triples test while I was there (another thanks to the high road for that too!).

Pre-physical or not before school?

Hi All,

The recruiter is now telling us that we have to have our physical done ahead of time. I have read/seen videos etc of guys/gals going to school saying they were told to get their physical ahead of time only to have the school ignore it. Which way is right/normal?

Thanks!

I think this varies by company. When I spoke to a recruiter about it, they said I would do a physical for them (the company) but would also need another one to get my medical card (basically a physical for the DMV). I think its best to get one ahead of time anyways due to some companies require you to have your permit before attending school which in most states would require you to get a physical/medical card so that you can get your permit.

Applying for first driving job

Well last week I went and got my physical and the next day went to the DMV and passed the test for my class A permit. I wanted to go ahead and get these things out of the way as the company I have been looking at requires me to have my permit before I start class. Anyway, now that I have all of that out of the way, I feel I am ready to apply with a company but am not sure of the precise time to do so. For personal reasons, I would rather not leave for CDL school until mid June (after the 16th) but I'm itching with excitement and ready to get started. I just want to get the ball rolling but I'm afraid that if I apply too soon, I will end up having to leave sooner than I want. Does anyone know about how long it takes before you leave for school after you apply or do they usually let you select a date best for your situation? By the way, the company I am looking at is Knight Transportation.

Physical and permit

Ya you get your medical card right when you pass the physical. If the DMV says you need the medical card first than its probably your states rule, I'm from Oregon and there may be some differences.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Physical and permit

Also this might be a stupid question but do you get your medical card the day you do your physical? If so, is it reasonable to think you can get a medical card and permit in one day?

Physical and permit

It's good to get your permit first, the physical you do there.

Thanks. That's originally what I planned to do but my DMV said I gotta have my medical card before I can test and receive my class a permit

Physical and permit

I know a lot of companies such as knight require you to have your permit before you start school. Is it best to get your physical and permit before you apply or wait until after you have applied and been accepted? Not sure if companies have a preference or protocol regarding this kind of stuff.

A new TruckingTruth video section?

Have any of you guys seen the recent video of that truck that should have tipped over but the driver saved it... I bet he had to change his shorts

I seen it. Anyone that missed it can see the video/story from a local news station here in Mississippi by clicking here or the YouTube video by clicking here

Any thoughts about this anyone? Also I would like to vote yes to your idea of adding a video section to the site Brett!

Serously considering truck driving as a career...

I'm very interested in hearing responses on this as I'm actually in the same boat. I currently have a pretty good office job as far as pay and benefits go, however, I hate my job with a passion and after doing tons of job searching, there just isn't any other good local jobs where I live as about 75% of the job opening here are trucking jobs which is what is making me look to trucking as a new career.

Would you recommend Dollar Tree dedicated account?

Theron,

Although I am not yet a truck driver, I have experienced this exact dedicated run. My dad has been a driver for 20 years and used to drive for M.S. Carriers (before Swift bought them) hauling to Dollar Tree stores and I would go with him every summer for about 4 or 5 years. This is a very tough dedicated run but does come with great home time as you are home every weekend. You would most likely pull from the Dollar Tree yard in Olive Branch, MS. Usually loads would take us to Miami, FL or San Antonio, TX so the miles are certainly there but unloading in Florida or Texas heat in the summer was horrible. Doing it in the winter months will be better. You of course deliver mostly to malls so you MUST work on backing skills as that is sometimes the hardest part as for some reason, mall builders did not think about trucks delivering to the mall when building it! The trailers are unloaded by hand using rollers you make into a ramp using boxes as you go and usually have to make about 4 to 5 stops to various Dollar Tree stores in the area on the same day. The most a box weighs is about 50 pounds. After that, you are headed back to get another load. I personally have considered Swift for this very same dedicated run as I always enjoyed it. You get to meet a lot of great people at those stores and they do a pretty good job of keeping up with your unloading pace. My advice would be that if you like the idea of delivering to a certain company (not necessarily the same stores) and don't mind a really good workout twice a week then this would be a good place to go, however, as others have mentioned, unless they can guarantee you would get this dedicated account, I would not base my decision to go with Swift solely on it as they usually will make you run OTR for at least a year before you get something like this and then more experienced drivers would have dibs before a rookie.

Information about Knight Transportation

Welcome to the forum Joshua.

I completed Knight's CDL training at Olive Branch las Oct. Your first week will be orientation. The second week will be classroom and training pad, learning all the backing skills for the CDL exam. The third and fourth weeks will be spent with an OTR trainer and a local trainer. Since you are from MS, you will be able to take your CDL exam with a third party tester that they use.

Next, you will spend 2-4 weeks with a trainer to continue working on your driving skills, as well as, learning the paperwork and Qualcomm system. Once your trainer feels you are ready, you will return to the terminal and have a road exam by one of the Knight trainers. Once that is complete, you will get your solo truck and begin the 30,000 mile Squire phase. This is OTR, and you will have a driver manager from the squire program.

Once that 30,000 mile is complete, you will be transferred to a Knight DM at your home terminal. This is when you may be able to get a regional/dedicated run. Each terminal has different accounts and it will depend on what's available at the time. Get to know your DM and prove yourself to him/her. When at the terminals, keep your eyes and ears open. I found out about the current position I'm in (flatbed, dedicated account) because I noticed some new flatbeds being delivered to a terminal and started asking questions to of the drivers that I meet.

As far as the benefits, that will be covered in orientation. If I remember correctly, you can enroll in most of them 90 days after hire or at the annual enrollment periods.

Thanks for all of the great info Sandman! By the way, great job on the Knight CDL training diary. It had tons of great info and first hand insight of their program.