Profile For Josh S.

Josh S.'s Info

OH

Preparing For School

5 years, 7 months ago

Josh S.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Propane stove: DOT restriction?

I would suggest that you do a search on youtube for cooking in the truck. I have seen a number of videos that cover it well.

Diving in with PRIME

Well I now through my first week! We managed to get in over 3500 miles. I've already logged about 45 hours behind the wheel. Hope to test next week. Currently sitting in Texas on a 34 hour reset.

Diving in with PRIME

Well haven't had a chance to update for a few days, been very busy. It is now day 2 of my psd phase. I was one of the lucky ones to get a trainer on Thursday. So two days of driving 400+ miles a day. I was rather suprised when my instructer had me driving right from the moment we left prime. Lol. But nothing like diving right in. Well we are currently headed to Maryland for our first drop, and have anouther 400 to go. And good luck to you guys just starting out.

Starting Prime on the 4th

Well I have made it through the first couple of days with no problems. dancing-banana.gif Jopa, I still have not received a handout about pretrip. Well have to go to DMV today to get my permit transfered and have a few classes.

Diving in with PRIME

Wow, when they say hurry up and wait, they are not kidding. After end of first class at 9:30am, I stood in one line after anouther till 3:45pm. Then it was right over to sims till 7:30pm. What a day, but I'm still here and that's more then a number of other people can say.

Diving in with PRIME

Made it to the second, and its now 10pm and I'm sitting waiting for my 11:25 bus. God I hate bus stations...
But here we go. good-luck-2.gif

Firearms

I'm all for Brett using one "sticky" at the top of the general forum for FAQ. Like:
1. Firearms
2. Drug tests
3. At my age...
4. What company should I start with
ect....
I'm sure you moderators could come up with a much longer list of questions that show up all the time, and the response is always the same. In my opinion this would help people get quick answers and save your moderators a lot of time.

Starting Prime on the 4th

After about a month of waiting, the time is almost here. So I know I have everything on my check list that the company sent me but was wondering if you guys know of anything else I will need. I have:
1. Permit, got this back on the 7th.
2. All my paper work is together.
3. Clothes/bathroom stuff gathered and ready.
4. Journal/pens/highlighters.
5. Chargers for both phone and razor.
6. Arrangements made to pay bills.
Is there is anything else that you think I may need? I currently do not have a laptop or tablet, so I will be dependent on my smart phone for now. I will take a couple books with me, but can you recommend another cheap form of entertainment for my down time? Also is anyone else on here that is going to be there from TT?

Diving in with PRIME

I received a call from my recruiter today, they just had a spot open up on the 4th, and guess who got it. smile.gif
So now I just have to get done in 4 days what I thought I had 11 to do. But the one thing I keep hearing is that you must be flexible. Besides when I originally set things in motion, the 4th was my goal start date. So things worked out.
Now where to begin....

Diving in with PRIME

At first they told me that I wouldn't be starting till the 25th! I made sure to let my recruiter know that if an earlier spot opened, I would be happy to fill it. Two days later, and I had a spot on the 11th. So yes classes are booked up, and I would start the process ASAP.

Diving in with PRIME

Did you decide on August 11 or was that the first class they could give you?

August 11 was the soonest they could get me in.

Diving in with PRIME

So my journey began back in April, when I decided that I was ready to be a driver. After working about 8 years in fast food industry as a manager, I was in desperate need of a change. I've always been more the loner type and have always dreamed of getting out and exploring the country and with no wife or kids, I will have nothing but time to invest. OTR sounds like a perfect fit.

I had looked into getting into trucking a couple years ago and had even applied to CR England. However at that time, I was simply not ready. Anyways, when I decided that I was, I started by searching for more info on CR England and that led me here. It turned out to be a very good thing it did. After reviewing the info here, it became clear that they were not the company for me.
I quickly decided on Prime for the following reasons:
1. Solo not team driving.
2. No charge for school if you stay with them for a year. Can't beat free. :)
3. Local activity. I see their trucks everyday.
4. Hands on training approach. I just learn better/quicker this way.
5. Good starting pay. Up to 0.42 cpm verse as low as 0.25 cpm elsewhere.

So after being delayed for a couple of months, lets say 'family issues', I'm now moving forward. So my progress so far is:

07/03/14 - Did my physical, and passed with flying colors
07/09/14 - Took and passed permit test with all endorsements except passenger. Thank you Brett.
07/10/14 - Submitted my application to Prime
07/12/14 - Called up Prime and we went over my app
07/16/14 - Received conformation and got my assigned class.

So now I'm just working to get all my ducks in line and waiting for 08/11/14 to arrive. I will try to keep this updated a I go through the process, however I will not be doing a day by day account, as others have already done so. I will try to fill in where there seems to be gaps in others accounts. Like the process leading up to starting orientation above. ^

CDLTraining materials

Safe Drivers maintain space around their vehicles for the following reasons except:

guyjax I think you missed the "except" part. shocked.png

The answer is D rofl-2.gif

New layout for the forum

Brett, on my phone, an LG-VM701 running Android 2.3.4, it all looks great except the follow and share buttons keep getting in the way of the menu and titles. They also move around a bit when I start to scroll. On my PC running Windows vista and chrome, everything is good.

Actual Factual Pay Per Month and Roehl

Bradley you should look over this post as Daniel B gives clear breakdown of this:

exact-first-year-income-week-by-week

Improving our trucking company information

One thing I would like to see on the list is the company's turn over rate.

A few questions for the Pros

Thank you for the response Old School, it was very informative.

The "old glory days of trucking" are over.

good-luck.gifrofl-3.gif

A few questions for the Pros

I like to start by saying hello. I've been studying info on this site for about a month now, and love the atmosphere here. Thank you Brett! I've learned so much, and thanks to this resource, I'm confident that can and will make it in this industry. Anyways I have a few questions that I haven't found clear answers to and I was hoping to get a little feed back from the pros.

1. What do truckers do when bad weather hits? I thinking more along the line of the tornado outbreak a few weeks back verses say a blizzard. I can't imagine you would get much warning, and stopping in its path or trying to out run it don't seem like good ideas.

2. Detention pay. While I've seen may companies that claim to pay it, I have also heard many drivers say they have set for many hour and did not get it. So I left wondering what factors are involved.

3. Sick time. In all the list for benefits of choosing one company or another I've never seen anything about sick time. Most other industries always mention this. I'm assuming there must be some policies in place.(I'm referring to company drivers being 'forced dispatched', not o/o)

4. Log "cheating". After reading Brett's book, it would seem that cheating log books is/was common place in the industry. My question is, is this still the case with modern GPS and electronic logs? It seems that there may still be ways of "bending" the rules, but is it still common?