Profile For Matt M.

Matt M.'s Info

5 years, 6 months ago

Matt M.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Matt M.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  2 days, 7 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

Sounds about right to me Rob. Linehaulers seem to make around $100k a year. General freight that's going to be a pretty tall order for a solo driver.

And I'm happy running low mileage and having more home time. I'm not interested in trading that for more money.

When we used to turn coast to coast runs running otr we would be turning 6500 and even 7000 mile weeks back to back sometimes for weeks on end. It is exhausting. Start running into "when was the last time I took a shower?" situations too.

Posted:  2 days, 8 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

I was thinking the threshold for $5,000 was going to be around 5,800 miles per week, and I was off a tiny bit. Tall order but that could probably be maintained year round.

We've run 6,000+ mile weeks for sustained periods back when we were OTR, but yes I freely admit that is pretty much out of reach for a year straight outside of a dedicated run.

A determined OTR team here could approach $250k a year though, we run very soft for a team at 4300 miles per week. It's not an outrageous number.

And you are absolutely right, it would require some luck. We had a bunch of downtime this August with AC issues with our truck putting us in Freightliner shops three different times, just as an example.

Posted:  2 days, 21 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

Old School, here is the actual calculation. Looking at it, even running the full year we would come up short (6,000 miles a week 52 weeks in a row is not realistic), but could get pretty dang close to $250k. I get paid $50 a week in extra stop pay, and $50 a week in hazmat most weeks, but running otr those would not be reliable, and I have excluded them from the calculation.

6,000 Mile Week
Base Rate $0.25 x 6000 = $1500
Wellness Bonus $0.005 x 6000 = $30
Service Bonus $0.01 x 2000 = $20
Safety Bonus $0.01 x 2000 = $20
Team Bonus $0.125 x 1000 + $0.15 x 2000 = $425
Fuel Bonus (low estimate) = $125
Travel Allowance $0.05 x 6000 = $300

Total pay per driver $2,420
Total for team $4,840

$4,840 x 52 weeks $251,680

Two people that hate life driving 312,000 miles in one year = priceless

I'm going to sleep, but if you bunch of skeptics don't believe this is how Prime teams get paid I'll be happy to post paychecks.

Posted:  2 days, 23 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

Found that post, here is the pertinent part:

Breakdown of my weekly pay: - Base rate of $0.25 for all miles truck moves - additional stop beyond 01/90 $10 ea - wellness bonus $0.005 all miles (for my sick pay being capped at 48 hours) - service bonus $0.01 for all miles over 4k (on time delivery for preceding 12 weeks I think) - safety bonus $0.01 for all miles over 4k (same as service just not hitting stuff) - team bonus $0.25 to the truck for miles over 3k, $0.30 for miles over 4k. This gets split between drivers. - fuel bonus was $92.00 but this varies (a little, around that every week) - hazmat pays $50.00 per trip, did not have this bonus this week - travel allowance is $0.05 for all miles

I must be tired, I forgot about the graduated team bonus that happened this year. It's 25 cpm to the truck for miles over 3k, and 30 cpm to the truck for miles over 4k. So base rate is really 50 cpm for first 3k, 75 cpm for 3 to 4k, and 80 cpm for over 4k. Split between drivers and that does not include the 5 cpm per diem each driver received.

Posted:  2 days, 23 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

Old School, my wife and I earned 150k last year on our dedicated route, running 4300 miles a week. That includes per diem, and is obviously before taxes and insurance, etc...

We work about 40 hours a week, and are off about twice as many days as the average otr truck driver.

I have absolutely no desire to stay out all year and forego hometime, but with Prime's bonus structure and maintaining high 5k mileage weeks it could absolutely be done. There is more to life than driving though.

Essentially the truck earns 50 cpm for the first 3,000 miles of the week, then 70 cpm for miles over 3,000. There is also considerable bonus pays regarding fuel, safety, on time delivery, etc... I broke down a team paycheck for Errol not too long ago when he was asking how teaming at Prime was for a friend.

Posted:  2 days, 23 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

Based on your personal experience as a lease driver?

Based on my personal experience as a company driver at Prime and what I have seen myself regarding lease. There is, as I stated earlier, a team that runs the exact same route as us on different days of the week that runs lease.

I know for a fact that they make more than we do. I have seen it with my own two eyes.

If no one has shown you a tax return then what you are presenting is conjecture.

I still agree with most of your assessments on leasing, but there is an opportunity to earn more leasing at this company. It requires being efficient, and is more work than being a company driver, but it does exist. It is not enough to get me to switch.

I also think we might out earn them this year, due to a jack-knife accident they had earlier in the year. I will not pretend to know the costs involved between the deductible, increased premiums, downtime, and loaner truck.

My wife jack-knifed our truck last year (same place they did), and Prime had us drop the trailer at a repair shop, and load into Springfield, we lost about two days of revenue swapping trucks, and were right back at it.

Posted:  3 days, 6 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

Comparing top dog company drivers to lousy lease drivers is a bit disingenuous.

Matt...I just have to comment on this remark...

There are a few "experienced" lease drivers who pop in and out of this forum. They basically state the same set of facts; they are making a little bit more than if they were a company driver.

I agree, they make a little bit more than company drivers (given all else equal, and not falling victim to the risk). Have I misrepresented that?

I understand salarying yourself as a driver as an owner-op as well. But if you want to treat a lease at Prime as baby's first lease (glorified company driver) I think it's fair to include the net income of the truck to the gross salary of the company driver. It would get pretty convoluted doing it any other way.

I do not condone leasing. I do not condone leasing. I do not condone leasing.

I agree with most of the points people make in this thread about leasing a truck. I just felt like the earnings at Prime Inc in a lease as opposed to company truck had been misrepresented according to my personal experience.

Posted:  3 days, 7 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

Matt, when someone makes a statement like this...

The husband said they were clearing $5000/week after all expenses.

They are saying they are making over 250,000 dollars per year as a team. So, for clarification, are you and your wife doing that? Do you seriously believe that lease operator is doing that?

You told us about one great week you had...

That's great, and it's fun to talk about those big numbers when we have a really strong week like that. Are you prepared to tell us you and your wife are "netting" 250,000 dollars per year?

I don't think so, but we'd love to hear it if it's the truth.

No we are not netting 250k a year. A company team here will make around 5 grand on a 6,000 mile week though, and that is fairly sustainable while you stay out if you are worth your salt. A lease team can certainly pull those numbers too. Do I think that particular husband/wife couple were making 250k a year? Probably not, but it doesn't take cherry picked weeks for those numbers, either.

We run on a dedicated account, we are home a couple days a week, and we don't run hard due to the way the freight is scheduled. So we are working around 40 hours a week each (4300 miles), and we make around 3400 a week.

Running otr, staying out the whole year, I bet we could hit 250k.

As for the rest of it, I'm not going to try to defend leasing. It's not for me, and I certainly don't think it's for anyone new to trucking. I completely understand y'all's take on it and why it is heavily dissuaded here. I just think sometimes people get a little crazy with the actual numbers. Comparing top dog company drivers to lousy lease drivers is a bit disingenuous.

Is it worth the risk? I don't think so. I know the line rates on our load though and it is a bit more money. And that is an apples to apples comparison.

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

Prime PSD take 2, December 20th. What to bring? What to expect?

Good luck!

Not sure if you have prepped or already taken written tests for the CDL permit, but I was glad to have done that before heading to orientation. I just ran through the high road training on this site and aced the written tests once I got to Springfield.

It's a busy week, and lots of folks were having trouble studying for that while trying to get everything else completed.

Hope your experience on the dirty dog is better than mine was.

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

It’s rather simple business! I drive a company truck, this truck has to make money so prime can pay the payment. This lease driver said e/she would pay payment on the one they drive. Who do u think Prime is gonna give that load to?

I get this line of thinking, and it's probably true at some places, but Prime is not one of them.

I ran on a lease truck during training, and have some friends here that run successful leases.

Lease trucks tend to run the higher rate freight in my experience and run less miles than company trucks. They also tend to stay out longer to not get eaten up by fixed costs.

Prime wants their lease trucks successful just as they want their company trucks successful. They make money off of both.

Please do not take these last two posts as endorsements for leasing a truck. I am a company driver, and plan to stay a company driver. If you are inexperienced, you have no business leasing a truck.

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Being A Company Driver

I team with the wife at Prime as company drivers. Also good friends with a lease team running on the same account as us.

Prime has a great company bonus for teams based on miles run per week. Few weeks back we netted 7k miles in a week and made over 6 grand between us. Hard to maintain that mileage, but even 6k miles a week is gonna be 5 grand.

The guy pulling 5 grand as a team lease/company is believable. The lease team that runs the same route as us makes more money, although taking benefits and less taxes and vacation into account it's probably a wash.

I personally would recommend company till you are ready to make that decision yourself. I've run company for over five years here and I'm happy with it, getting three weeks of paid vacation a year is making it harder to jump ship. Unless something happens to our account, our company, or one of us I'll probably retire here.

My lease buddy is happy too, he's been leasing with Prime for I believe ten years now.

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Mystery Contact Number

That does remind me though that we delivered some strawberries for a Sherry's Berries up in the Northeast on a weekend for Prime.

We get to the place and noone is there.

There were multiple numbers listed, first two were people that no longer worked there. My wife had called asking for Antonio or whoever and the lady that answered was ****ED that a girl was calling for him. Hope he worked that one out.

Finally got ahold of the right guy, he apologized he had completely forgot we were coming and had gotten hammered the night before. He showed up and unloaded us and gave us three dozen chocolate covered strawberries for the trouble.

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Mystery Contact Number

(804) 414-2590. Google is your friend.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Prime Inc sued for sexual harassment (again)

Https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/12/female-trainee-sues-trucking-company-alleging-driver-held-her-hostage-sexually-harassed-and-abused-her.html

Not sure how they can avoid this and continue training otr. For anyone not aware Prime did require female trainees to go with female trainers for awhile, but got sued for that policy as well. There's just not enough female trainers so the wait times are too long. And while I think these kinds of predators are pretty rare, they have and will continue to exist in all occupations. OTR trucking is just an especially bad situation to encounter one in.

For anyone heading into training otr, if you are harassed get off the truck. Call the police if appropriate, and then contact the training company. There is no company in America that is not going to take this seriously. They will arrange for your safety and transportation. The truck has to stop and fuel, and a busy truck stop is going to be safe.

It blows my mind that someone would stay on a truck for a month while facing serious sexual harassment like is alleged in this suit.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Vent & Brag for the week

Brag: Wife and I got in 7,139 miles for the week, made $3,168.81 on my paycheck alone. Not too shabby for a "mega" company driver.

Vent: Paid $547.76 in Federal taxes. At least Texas doesn't have an income tax.

Posted:  1 month ago

Northeast

Those are all still shorts weather for this Iowa boy. I like seeing how the boys down in southern Texas dress when it is below 55 degrees, you would think they were getting ready to go snowmobiling.

Too true. I'm a Southern Texan and it was quite a shock when I first went otr. Now I don't put on a jacket unless it's below 20.

I was picking up french fries in Easton Maine in -30 ambient one time and some Prime yahoo was walking around in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. Y'all yankees are nuts. I think he was from Wisconsin.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

(News Item) - Largest ELD Provider CRASHES - Forcing Drivers Onto Paper Logs - Driver's for Swift and Schneider are just some of the drivers affected.

I need one of the newer qcp's. I'm at Prime and affected, had to use paper logs about a month ago when they pushed an update that put our Qualcomm in a never ending boot-loop.

Hope they get it fixed, this team has no need to cheat, and paper logs are a pain in the butt.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime Inc - changing TNT trainer

I went through TNT with a guy that was pretty terse. He was red-headed and boy did he live up to it. It was just his nature, and I wound up liking the guy alright. One of our moments sticks out to me:

"What the F are you doing?" "I have no F'ing idea.". Lol

Some folks would probably be like no one's gonna talk to me like that. But it's just the way the guy was. He would yell, cuss, rant, and rave. It wasn't anything personal. I had my eye on one goal, getting into my own truck. Nothing was going to keep me from it.

I learned a lot from him, and I've been driving for Prime for over 5 years now.

If you have real issues go to your fleet manager (which is your trainers fleet manager until you upgrade), he should have given you a card or number before you headed out.

But as Brett said, I would focus on learning everything you can from this guy and moving on. TNT is not such a long time, and you are going to run into some very stressful situations once you go solo, might not be bad practice to get a little stressed out.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Is This a HAZMAT Load

I couldn't tell you without shipping papers or inspecting the pallets. If you see a UN listed there it probably is. Almost always shippers will notify you if you are hauling hazmat and provide placards, occasionally they are mistaken however.

We occasionally haul empty totes of a hazmat substance that weigh around 700 lbs apiece when they are empty. The shipper doesn't think it's a placard load when hauling one empty tote due to weight but these totes are bulk packages, so hauling one empty tote is a placard load. You would think they would know that but shipping clerks are human like the rest of us.

I'm sure you figured it out in the last ten hours though.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago