Comments By Andy C.

https://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a555/sirdroid1/Mobile%20Uploads/20141006_061058_zps80686867.jpg avatar
  • Andy C.
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

Well, i don't know about wine taster, but it's been a fun two weeks for me ha. A change in management i guess, but the work is flowing nicely.

OTR training periods

Jolie, are you going to Marshfield or Appleton? I went to Fox valley tech for training. Roehl has a contract with them for training. From what i understand, the Marshfield school is much more thorough than Appleton. An extra week or so... As for me, i got home on a Monday night, and Wednesday afternoon i met my trainer. Advice? Leave your fear at home lol! So far everyone has been incredibly helpful. Other drivers, fm's, training manager. But i think there is no replacement for experience. You will learn the basics of what you need to know. The rest is trial by fire. I'm more the type who over thinks at times ha, I'm only on my third run, and no matter the headaches, i absolutely love the job. The things I've seen in such a short time are more than enough to make up for the messy truck stops and the blind back around a corner i had to do today lol please, start a diary of your journey, I'd love to read it! Feel free to ask any questions, happy to help in my limited experience!

OTR training periods

My two cents here... Roehl, after thirteen days with my trainer, i have to agree with red. Most of the time my trainer was spelling things out for me, it wasn't until the last run that i did a lions share of the work, but he still... "Pointed things out" rather than letting me show what i did retain and what i needed help with... Another week would have done me worlds of good, there are things that come up that your trainer may not have opportunity to go over, another surprise. Yes, i asked tons of questions, yes i have a notebook full of wisdom, but i still find myself scratching my head.. He/she is experienced. Knows the ropes and sometimes forgets i think that they were new once to. Any trainer your with, try to think of different scenarios as you move along. Example, my truck pc goes down, what do i do? Trip planning. More than an hour explaining a map, get details. My tandems got stuck while i was trying to adjust them. Wouldn't move either way. What do i do? I found out the hard way lol. And when you call dispatch, if you can get a hold of them ha! Don't take the attitude personally. As a rookie, your expected to ask questions! Ask for help! Ha... Sry. Rambling. Waiting at a shop for a repair before i move on.

Advice for a rookie solo driver?

Just beginning my third trip solo... First two were quite adventurous... To say the least. Unfamiliar with Georgia, i got lost a couple times, picked the wrong 20w exit.. Lol My truck pc's co pilot doesn't work so I'm doing things the old fashioned way, a map and a ruler... When dispatch asks how far i am from my destination and will i make it on time because my hours are low... I measure from where i am, looks like i can do it with half hour to spare, and BAM... Out of hours and still 75 miles to go... I use 45 mph in my figure to be safe. Ugh. Late. Glad it was kool with the consignee, but how to avoid that in the future? Running a heavy load this time, grossing 78,000. through Virginia, lots of hills to slow me down. Leaving at 11 pm (2100) to arrive by 4pm (1600) tomorrow. On paper it looks ok... But I'm not sure of myself. Lol... Rookie blues? I'm not giving up by any means, absolutely love the job...

Roehl Training August 2014

You betcha wt... Look for tractor 7419, scored a condo lol...My trainer taught me well.. Be a "bobble head " lol They bought six mirrors, why not use them! As for backing? Meh. I'm a pro. Lol jk.. I don't care if it really does take me ten minutes. Rather time than filling out paperwork. Six weeks went where?... At least my first run takes me home! Almost to my doorstep, from Atlanta to buffalo. Can't say it's been a picnic so far lol. My truck pc copilot doesn't work, i really don't rely on it, but the "nudge" it's helpful lol. 20 to Ga 138 hmmm.... Well, it said West! Lol. Only about three miles in the wrong direction. But another five before i found a safe place to turn around. Little lessons to be learned. Drove my butt off and just had to stop in north Carolina here. Was kind of hoping i would get to a pilot or j's after the early birds left. 5 to 6 am fuel, grab a spot and sleep. Naw! Rest area it is. Oh well, coffee in an hour when my ten resets. I really hope that my stories help any of you who are thinking of going into the career. I had zero experience, no clue what i was getting into lol. I've made my mistakes, I've felt like i wanted to walk away, like i would never figure it out. Even now, when they send the directions, it gets rather confusing. But, take a little time to relax, to sort. And its all good. I think it's fair to say that what you might go through, many Many others have also....

Failed a pre-trip test today. :(

It really is pressure. My test out yesterday, heh, backing was in front of a class of new students, in a beat up old truck, manual clutch instead of hydraulic, i stalled the truck a couple times letting the clutch out, just relax, shake it off and keep going. One of the criteria i saw on my trainers checklist was "is the student easily angered, frustrated " It's definitely part of the testing. Part of the job. Just keep your head high, laugh at your mistakes and move on learning from them. You will be fine. Promise!

Week One of Truck Driving School

Randy, i can totally understand! Downshifting was my great nemesis too lol. If i can offer advice, i found i was bumping the rpms too high when i was going to downshift. I found a lighter touch was better. Maybe 1100 give or take unless going to a lower gear. And DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF GEAR TO SOON lol. Going for eighth gear, at 35mph. No sooner. 6th gear, 15mph No sooner. Speed had a lot to do with proper downshifting. Try progressive shifting if they will let you. Eighth to sixth, sixth to fourth etc. Of course talk to your instructor before doing anything. I don't know what their policies are. Nowadays a use coast shifting from sixth to third... Clutch in, truck in gear. (6th) as i slow down, just pop it into fifth, fourth, third, brake fully. Things you will pick up on as you go. Believe me, i was so incredibly frustrated about downshifting, but it comes. Truly.

Fueling Your Tractors

I found, very specifically lol. Flying j's and cascadia trucks passenger fuel tank don't quite get along. I use a bungee to keep it in while i walk around the truck to do my Windows while it fills. Otherwise, I'd end up with a huge puddle of fuel on the ground. Bad habit of slipping out. Might just be a good idea to wrap one around the handle just in case...

Roehl Training August 2014

Couldn't agree more buttonup! The accomplishment is huge and tho there may be days we question our wisdom for choosing this life, there really is no better feeling.. Tell you a secret, lol, i yelled my fool head off in the car lol After i passed all my testing. Truck Orientation time, then finally on the way home. Be safe gang!

Roehl Training August 2014

Your not kidding button up, many highs, learning i can move this beast by myself without hitting anything lol, the small victories of downshifting and progressive shifting, laugh if you guys like, lol, the lows were tough too. The few minutes when everything escapes your mind and you can't find a gear to save your life lol. The hills in PA, holy hell, but the thrill of getting it done. Stress left and right. But... So very worth it. Tomorrow when i finally head out on my own, it will be real. A long arduous journey, but to join the ranks is a great feeling. Thanks to all of you on trucking truth. Invaluable insight and support. I'm just... Happy today...

Roehl Training August 2014

Pj, thank you! Yes, the trial by fire is crazy lol Actually wound up in Atlanta for testing, passed woot! They gave me a 2013 cascadia condo, styling lol. Only problem is its truck pc instead of qual comm i learned on. Truck orientation tomorrow and i can lose the "in school" moniker. One more step down. The real pressure now is a first run i think ha. But Damn, i feel on top of the world today!

Roehl Training August 2014

What a freaking trip! Busy, been from New Jersey to Texas.. (Dallas at the moment) Unbelievable how far I've come... First day with the trainer, nervous about pulling the truck up a few feet into a fuel island lol To cruising along at 64 miles per hour with 42,000 pounds of canned goods behind me... I've seen the hills of PA and Virginia, the traffic of Chicago, the unending corn fields in Ohio and Minnesota. Chesapeake bay and the great Mississippi... So much in between. I found truck stops to be both super nice and quite a trip to be in lol Trying to sleep in. A top bunk while Russ is going through "destruction" routes lol my ribs hurt from bouncing up in the air and down... OOF! But i wouldn't trade it for anything. Spent a day in Missouri waiting on a repair, def issues... 9 am to 8pm Of course we had to make our delivery in San Antonio, 22 hours of drive time and 21 hours between us. We'll be a lil late, but it's a learning experience. Logs, paperwork, messages on qual comm, lots to learn. Russ nicknamed me "detour" Lmbo. At first, lemme tell ya, it's overwhelming. All the signs to look for... I missed a few, but old pro now lol Lessons on map reading, etc. I test Saturday to get my own rig. Looking forward to it actually. Confident. Shifting skills are top notch now. Advice on those going to a trainer, Pack 6 _7 smaller bags. So much easier to move to the passenger seat to sleep. It's realistic to expect to shower every other day, until your on your own and earn your own credits.... Except the Ohio turnpike lol free showers. Nice too. Play the rookie card at pilot and flying j's can score you a free shower too ha. "I'm a rookie here, Really no idea what I'm doing (smile) how does the shower system work? 3 out of five gave me a freebie teehee I brought a few cans of foodstuffs, some other non perishable, it's really not expensive to eat tho. Of course i don't eat breakfast, snack for lunch, ohhhh pilot now has chicken fried steak at a few places, delicious! I average 300 to 400 miles a day, one or two 500 mile days. Russ is taking me to the bank ha. But my 90 dollars a day will suffice. I give trainers a lot of credit. Keeping calm during a major rainstorm, i took an exit a lil hot, needed a crow bar to get my a** off the seat lol, he was very Kool about it. Few more hours till San Antonio, then nothing until i test... Loving life right now! dancing-banana.gif

Roehl Training August 2014

You'll be fine Kevin, They only need about 75 strands about an inch long. No worries. We finally made it to our drop, a live unload, then off to Michigan... Things are finally coming together, i know there is still a ton to learn, more about the qual comm, more on route planning and trip times. But after two days, i am beginning to feel like i belong here. I think the two weeks will both go very quickly and at the same time be incredibly painfully slow ha. I'm truly enjoying myself tho. Trainer is awesome at pointing things out, corrections when i need, so far so good! Really hope this all helps to anyone interested in Roehl.

Roehl Training August 2014

Kevin, They did the hair follicle test in week three, a day before i completed... I did notice a guy with a brush cut had a couple bare spots lol Don't think you will have to worry unless your bald, then, well, they have to get the hair from somewhere lol When you get to Appleton, tell big John i said hi and tell schmitty things are great lol Good bunch of guys there! You will enjoy yourself!

Roehl Training August 2014

First day out with Russell, super nice guy, picked me up in Syracuse, he drove about 20 miles to another rest stop and we switched seats. Holy pressure lol j/k went and dropped our empty trailer at a company, picked up a full. Lo and behold, we are heading to Chicago with it, so, almost all the way back to my home, we stop for the night lol It's nice to know that a few days away from a truck hasn't affected things, not that i really thought it would, but being so new... It's only day one, who knows what's happening tomorrow or next week heh. But i am so looking forward to it. Until next time gang! Wtg Michael lol glad i wasn't the only one who watched the show lol

Roehl Training August 2014

Things move pretty fast Around here... Got a call from Sara today, there will be a road trainer in Syracuse tomorrow afternoon. About 2 and a half hours away. (If it's a no no to give a name i apologize and please remove) Russell called not much after i spoke with Sara, in the few minutes i spoke with him trying to figure out the semantics of meeting, he seems to be a very nice guy with a sense of humor. Thank God lol, need someone to laugh at my rookie mistakes lol. We'll meet at a pilot truck stop off of I81... It's a tad nerve wracking, someone i don't know and who doesn't know me, but heck, it's nothing new right? I think sometimes i wonder what the hell i got myself into. But the greatest accomplishments come to those who move and don't drag their feet right? Hope to have a little time here and there to touch base. Whew...sometimes i feel like George. Jetson... "JANE, GET ME OF THIS CRAZY THING!" rofl-2.gif

those of you who know what the heck I'm talking about, give me a thumbs up lol confused.gif

Roehl Training August 2014

Andy Congrats on your journey so far, been enjoying the posts. Wine Tasters still rules, not to diminish yours or PJ's. I'm pretty sure that I read it off of either Roehl's website or the JOC that Fox Valley has a contract with Roehl to spit out 10 of you,rofl-1.gif

Thank you Michael, and No worries lol, WT had definitely covered things better I wanted to give my take as a total noob lol and at the Appleton school, I think the instructor told me it was a contract for 300 students over a period of time. From what i saw, small numbers mixed in. 2 to three students each class, my last week, the first week class was only one driver, he still paired up with another from a different company... We took class with other trucking companies, some four weeks long, some refreshers. At Roehl terminal, the class i saw was 10 students. Seems there is no lack of talent! Going over the Roehl way today, Really enjoy the philosophy.

Roehl Training August 2014

Yes pj, i did get Sarah, i will pass along your kind words, lol, edited of course, looking forward to working with her, and i will follow your advice keeping in touch on a daily basis. Zdog, congrats! Are you sure it's the Marshfield class? When i signed up that's what i was told bit wound up at Fox Valley in Appleton. Tho, at orientation, i did see a class at the Roehl terminal. Curious of their processes, i know Fox Valley is a new contract, only a few classes in so far. Either way, from what I've learned so far, Roehl is a terrific company. Couldn't be happier with my choice!

First week out with my Swift Mentor

Trucktogropher, I would really be interested in hearing more about your journey, should be leaving in a few days to meet my road trainer, nice to see what's coming lol Congrats btw!

Roehl Training August 2014

Thanks PJ, Yes indeed, i have a fleet manager, super Lady, we chatted on the phone a bit, she told me the same thing, keep in contact with her every day lol I'm super impressed with what i have learned today, they really are serious about their safety ha. Everyone answered any questions i had, there was nothing i was lacking as i left a full employee of Roehl. I should be out with my phase two trainer Wednesday. I will keep my fingers crossed for Shawn, lol, But from what i understand, they are very diligent on trainers. Should all be top notch. Seriously, no trucks older than 2012? Holy hell lol, i drove a 1997 freightliner in class lol The test drive today was like a beautiful experience lol Simple, couple of turns to evaluate. No biggie. Still unbelievable, three weeks ago, I've never stepped foot in a truck. Today, ha... Almost on my way to being a pro. Didn't miss a gear! Ha. Funny to be proud of that, but i am. Great journey So far, looking forward to labeling myself as you do "Rookie solo" good-luck-2.gif