Comments By Aaron Placencia

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/aaron2.jpg avatar

B1 training!

20,000 miles. Already have close to 1,000 miles in. The Florida run will be about 1300 so it won't take long at all.

B1 training!

Well, since I've been back, everyone here at Jim Palmer has welcomed me and made me feel right back at home. The week of orientation consisted of drug test, physical, and some videos, and power point from the staff. Thursday we finishing up on boarding and I'm going through this even tho I'm not upgrading to my solo truck or being hired with experience. So it's a possible chance I'll have to re due all this after training.

Thursday night I get a call from a JP driver named Monte, he's taking me to Cheyenne, Wyoming, to meet my trainer. So I pack my things and wait till about 7:30 and we roll out. We shut down after about 150 miles and he finished it up Friday night. I was not allowed to drive so it was a little slower than expected.

I'm super nervous to meet my trainer, I'm always thinking the worst, that I won't get along with him or I won't learn anything and just be all around upset, considering I had such a great experience with my first trainer. Well I met him Saturday morning, I'm on about 5 hours of sleep. We talk and I'm loading my stuff up and telling Monte thanks for brining out here.

We head up to Colorado and pick up a meat load. Trainer "red" is what he likes to be called but anyways he drove up. We dropped our empty which he had me Back, I did ok, but being away for 6 months I was a little rusty. Well we get put on the wait list, so we bobtail to this Mexican fast food which was really good. Spent most of the day waiting, by then I'm already getting sleepy and knowing I'll have to drive because it'll be a tight window to Laredo tx.

They finally call so we head out. We get there, i find the trailer, pretrip and we head out. Surprisingly I drove well. Thought I would of struggled with the time off but I felt I shifted better than I ever have before. Plus me and my trainer get along great and I've been learning quite a bit from him.

I made it about 4 hours and I told red, we need to find a rest area, I'm starting to get tired, signs are becoming blurry and I do not feel safe Behind the wheel. So we did, slept 4 hours and then he drove and I slept more. Made it to about noon then we got a shower and some lunch. Around 7pm I took over, had 389 miles to Laredo, easy! This time I had monster rehab and a regular one.

Made it to Laredo on time. Now we are here waiting, we were pre planned a load to the same place but it's missing it's export papers so they refused. All these loads are heading to mexico so I guess the last driver who dropped it off at the prime yard didn't leave everything. So now we are waiting and we were preplanned another load after this local route, it heads to Florida, delivers in two days but now we are just sitting and waiting to hear from dispatch on what to do. My hours are up so I'll be sleeping the day away and driving nights tonight if we keep that Florida Run.

All I can say is so far I'm having a blast. Red has been nothing but a great guy and is showing me things I didn't even know. I already feel more confident even tho its been a few days. He says my backing is good and I think otherwise!!! But I'm here to learn and I'm glad I can soak up more knowledge from a different trainer.

Anyways, I'm about to sleep. Being up for almost 24 hours is tiring! So goodnight or day? Haha! Be safe everyone and have a great week! I'll update when I have a chance.

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Awesome! All I can say is damn, that's a good week. I can't wait to hit the road soon again. If my TNT phase here at Jim Palmer can go like that with 6500 I should be done in a month or a little less.

Heading to CFI 4-19-17

Congrats! Hopefully that bus ride isn't too bad!

Finally here at the hotel

I believe 20,000 miles, I'll find out more after my road test tomorrow I'm sure. A little nervous, haven't been behind the wheel in awhile so, we will see how it goes.

How long are they sending you out with a trainer?

Finally here at the hotel

Thanks everyone, I will keep it updated. Today has been pretty relaxed, drug test, physical, paperwork and some cbts. Almost done with these dang videos. Not sure when I'll get a trainer but hopefully I can make a trip to Walmart before that happens! But everyone has been great, and welcoming me back. Definitely helps, I'm just ready to practice and get my skill back and start learning as much as possible while out on the road again. I know I'll always be learning something but the extra time with a trainer will help. Be safe everyone.

Finally here at the hotel

Well, here is my update. Last week I was preparing to call grace from prime and set my orientation date. When my recruiter from Jim Palmer reached out to me to see how me and the family are doing. I told her things are going good and I'm about ready to go to prime. She asked me a question, "why did you choose prime and not come back with us" now couple months ago I did ask if it would be an option and she said she'd get back to me. Since I didn't hear anything I figured maybe they didn't want to bring me back so I made necessary moves to get me back driving to support my family. When I proceeded to tell her and mentioned I would 100% come back if it was an option. She made some calls and here I am. 62h 40m bus ride I'm in Missoula MT. Drug test and physical tomorrow, not sure what else. I do know I'll be back with a trainer, hopefully my first one. That would be amazing, but I'm happy and ready to get back on the road. Be safe everyone, it's time to catch some sleep.

Prime Question

Yeah, JP and wil-trans base their training off of primes. But from my understanding if you wanted more training they would help you out in any way possible just to make sure you're ready and safe out on the road.

Prime Question

I'm not at prime but I believe that is correct. They will always do a road test and depending how you do, then it'll base the miles you'll do with a trainer. 30k miles actually goes pretty quickly so even if it's 40k, that's experience behind the wheel with someone who can help you when you need it.

Why I took time off

Thanks guys. Yeah the recruiter said they are super flexible. Like you to run weekends which I don't mind. It's slip seating, which is fine since I'll most likely be home daily. But other than that, i think it'll be a good gig. I worked for Walmart before overnights, plus another grocery store out here in Maine. Plus I delivered bread in Las Vegas to grocery stores. I think it'll be something I'm a little familiar with plus something that could help me be home from time to time.

Why I took time off

Hey everyone, I've been away since October. I left Jim palmer early October when my grandmother was sick. She passed away but I was able to see her one last time and talk to her about trucking, and at the time my daughter who joined us on this earth Tuesday, march 7th at 10:13 pm.

The reason I took time off was my wife was put on bed rest, and the pregnancy was turned into a high risk pregnancy. 3 doctor appointments a week. During the time we spend several days in the hospital while she was hooked up to an IV just to try and help keep the fluid levels high for the baby. I live here in Maine and winter was approaching, and with long discussions with my family and my wife I figured it would be best to take a step back and help her through this and not be away.

I have been in contact with a few companies and still talk to my recruiter and Jim Palmer from time to time. Prime has approved my application to join them when im ready. All I'll have to do is two months training then I'll be on the Walmart dedicated account in Lewiston Maine. I'm only 17 miles from Lewiston so my recruiter said it would work out perfectly. Me and my wife have everything set up to where I can stay Otr or do the dedicated account. So I'm thinking of all my opportunities and just spending this month or so with my daughter and the wife.

Other than that, this year has been great, still having to do some checkups with my daughter, they just checking to make sure her jaundice levels don't increase and she gains weight.

Just wanted to stop by and let everyone here know that things at home are going good and I'll be back out on the road soon. Thanks and drive safe everyone and I'll be back with more updates as time goes on.

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

I believe the year mark will be when you got your license. Training you're not hired on with the company but when you pass everything and are licensed, you are hired on with the company and start making a paycheck.

I got a question, when does your year contract start? I'm good either way but just curious. Does it start when you start training or once you go solo?

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

That would be correct. Mine has been a little slower than normal, once I got my license. Me and my trainer took home time, and now I'm on home time again. Some will finish earlier than me. But it roughly takes two months from the time you get your license to knock out the 30,000 miles. It goes pretty quickly.

Aaron, have really enjoyed reading your experience with JPT. From the start of the thread it looks like you've gone from orientation to A seat in roughly 4 months (including your upcoming solo week). Is that correct? It's difficult to know based on the forums thread dating.

And from A seat you would have the 60 day probate period before you would be allowed riders?

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

Just a quick update, I'm home with the wife. Have this week together. I believe they plan on getting me to Missouri, they have a few trucks at the Springfield yard st prime. That's where I'll start the solo week. Once that is complete. I'll officially be done with training, and upgrade to an A seat. Me and my trainer have talked about teaming during the winter months. But depending how much I enjoy the space, and being to myself I may just run the winter myself. I'll keep you guys updated.

Also everyone who has been accepted to Jim Palmer, congrats. They are strict on who they bring in so it's always a good feeling when you make the cut. So just stay positive, show up to learn, you'll pass with flying colors. The ones I seen struggle were the ones always inside watching tv. I always tried to be around the trucks. Pre trip a million times. Watch people back. It helps. I'm sure you'll all do great. I hope to see you guys on the road or at the terminal. Stay safe and take care.

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

Awesome, I believe the best things to do is just share the experience. To just help anyone who is looking to join a company. You should definitely do the video blog on YouTube. I don't believe anyone has for the training aspect of things. I'll def stop by and read your blog. As always stay safe and I hope to see you around sometime. Take care.

Hey Aaron...thank toy so much for your thread...I've not only enjoyed reading it, but have learned enough from it to apply at Palmer! I spoke with my recruiter today and he is trying to get me on 10-24-2016...just under two weeks from now! Looks like I'll be taking that bus ride from hell...from Texas to Montana...in late October!! embarrassed.gif I'm going to create a thread similar to yours to document all this...even thinking about keeping a video log and posting on YouTube...we'll see how all that goes. Anyway, thanks again, be safe, how to see you on the road sometime and share a cup of Joe.. God speed!!

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

Yes sir, after this vacation, I'll be getting my truck. So I'll blog that expereince and I'm sure I'll have questions to ask. 😂 But yeah. It'll be exciting, and scary all at once.

Good for you Aaron. Looking forward to reading about your experiences in the General Side of the forum.

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

Hey, if I could do it.. so can you. I had zero experience being around these trucks and all I did was show up with the right attitude and tried to learn everything I can. I'm still learning, and my next step is doing this by myself in my own truck. So it does have me nervous again. But I just gotta take the tools they've taught me and just do it. You'll love it, and congrats on getting accepted. Take care.

Congrats Aaron, hopefully I can be successful like you! I start on the 24th.

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

Awesome! You'll do fine. Just stay positive and show you want this. The trainers in Missoula are pretty good. Hopefully I'll see you around sometime. Stay safe. Take care.

Congrats on getting to your final week! I'm sure you are excited and ready to get your own truck and go off on your own.

I finally got things lined up and have a tentative start date with Jim Palmer in December - nervous about it as I have never been in a truck in my life but excited to get started. Going to go back through this thread and work on what I can before then. Please continue to post once you are in your truck - still following along with you on this end!

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

That is unfortunate, I'm sorry things went that way. They do go through hundreds of apps a day but I still would feel frustrated as well. Just keep your head up and the right job will land in your lap. Don't be discourage because of this. You'll be trucking in no time. if you do plan on calling and asking for someone else, I'd recommend Alex. She is pretty dang awesome. Good luck in your search and I hope you get things squared away. Take care.

I'm glad to see others are having good luck with the recruiters.

Bad luck here, the recruiter I got apparently didn't care to read over my application too well.

I had checked best method of contact - cell phone. She called my landline (home phone) so naturally I missed the first call.

Happened to catch the second call the next day about 6 p.m. my time, she said there must be some kind of connection problem because she'd been trying to reach me - lol, ya think.

I blew it off and tried to talk to her, but she instantly seemed to want to talk me out of OTR driving.

(been interested in trucking for several years now - lots of folks seem to try and discourage it)

I mentioned I had a wife early in our conversation ... then she asked if I had kids??

After that it seemed she was more concerned with talking me out of a job vs. recruiting me as a driver ??

I dunno, I have apps in other places too, (so I'll keep searching for the best fit for me) but if I do end up reaching out to Jim Palmer again - I'll be requesting someone else.

Just disappointing I guess :( ... JP was on the top of my list.

Been with my wife for 18 years, its a stable relationship .. my career path isn't going to change that, I'll carry on my search :)

Posted:  5 years ago

Jim Palmer cdl training

Well for the final week, we did a total of 6240 miles. As being a B student and making .14 cents a mile, I can say this was my best check to date. Pretty cool feeling knowing the hard work you put in that you can make good money. It wasn't like we were always go go go. We had a day off and relaxed in Nevada. But other than that we did good.

We are heading to Wisconsin, a Walmart DC. About 200 miles away, we just gonna shut down tonight and get some rest. Have a pretty big window on this load so why not get some good rest when ya can, right?

Other than that, my buddy dalton finished his B seat training and is doing his solo week. I believe he starts tomorrow. So I'm pretty excited and proud of him for sticking with it and getting to this point. I knew he could do it.

But yeah, things been going great, can't wait to get back to Missoula, hopefully soon. Couple weeks I'll see the wife. So I'm pretty content with everything.

Take care everyone and I'll see ya guys next time. Goodnight.