Comments By Jay B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/139.jpg avatar
  • Jay B.
  • Comments:

Recruiters are busy!

That's good to hear Jay, I was just throwing that out there. Curious about the response Prime gave you. My recruiter told me all I had to do was give him a few days notice, and I could roll on over to Pittston, PA on any Mon or Wed (I think those were the days). Maybe that's because I wasn't heading to Springfield, and already have my CDL A.

Yeah I'm starting from scratch so I need to go to Springfield :( I will be talking to the local driving school(southwest truck driving) tomorrow and if that will be faster maybe I can go through their school. After working everyday since I was 16 I'm already freaking out after 2 days off lol!

Recruiters are busy!

No. I've gotten replies from every company within hours of applying, but getting back to the recruiters for more answers has been the hard part. I'm hearing prime is a month and a half out now for class openings so maybe they are really busy.

I'm 34, never had more than a speeding ticket in my life and that was 12 years ago, held a class c CDL for almost 5 years, never even smoked pot or even a cigarette in my life. Been working for the state 6+ years but was low man on the totem pole when they hit our department with $100k budget cut so they laid me off last week. Before that I worked 10+ years for the same company in construction until the housing market crashed in 07/08. I'd like to find a place to call home until I can retire and actually my wife likes the idea of driving team as "retirement" to see the country. So I don't think I'm unhireable.

Recruiters are busy!

Nobody is getting back to me really, the one i have really got answers from was CR England so far. I don't think I have applied to swift yet, I'll have to look back through my emails.

Questions about prime leasing

It's just like Ford vs Chevy :) or here I guess it might be Kenworth vs Peterbuilt here hehe.

Recruiters are busy!

I was on hold for 30 minutes and the phone rang again then clicked and hung up. Grrrr

Diving in with PRIME

Still waiting on my recruiter, I really don't like him heh. I've "recruited" myself more than he has.

Recruiters are busy!

Ugh I'm going stir crazy sitting around waiting for recruiters to call back. The prime recruiter hasn't replied to my email or voice mail since last week and I haven't heard from knight since the original reply to my application :(

Any truck drivers from Kansas or at least midwest???

He was talking about homo-sapiens, he hates everyone :)

Live in n.carolina. what ?????? do i need to ask the unempolyment reps ??

I'm curious about knight too. They are close to home. I have heard more negative about them on the web than prime but we all know how that goes.

13'6" v.s. 11'10"

His iPhone told him turn right...

There is no excuse lol, I get nervous at 11' clearance in my lifted suburban lol.

Diving in with PRIME

It's really a month out? I need to talk to a recruiter

Cameras in trucks

I have cameras in my truck. One that faces the road and one on the driver. They are extremely obvious and not hidden at all. Also, they notify you when they are sending video to the company. I know several companies are starting to use systems like this. I haven't heard of any that use hidden cameras though.

Which company?

The dash cams seem like a good idea for liability and other legal stuff. Are drivers running them more these days?

Heart health and disqualification

I have read if you have something lie that in your medical history you need to have extra paperwork from your doctor's stating you are healthy enough for work.

Live in n.carolina. what ?????? do i need to ask the unempolyment reps ??

Honestly I don't see a point to doing a separate school unless you just want to take your time and/or get into a company that doesn't offer their own school. They don't seem to give you as much time behind the wheel and they usually last much longer. I would rather go with a trainer and learn on a truck I will probably be driving for a company I will be working for and learning the way they do business as I train. Then you add companies like prime it knight that actually pay you to train for the most part instead of paying to learn. Plus if you take a several month long CDL school you really only shave a few weeks of the company training, they will still want you to go out with a trainer to prove yourself and learn their ways to do things.

That's one way to look at it, there are plenty of others here that did the third party schools for their own reasons.

LTL Trucking - My linehaul job

I wish the forum listed your location of "home" and what company you worked for. I know most of the regulars seem to know each other and know that but it would be easier for us newbs to follow along :)

Grats on the new job! Definitely sounds too good to pass up!

Dang I'm busy!

You haven't learned how to send those replies in telepathically? Heh, thanks for the reply!

CDL Practice tests

Yes the dot really asks questions that you think are too easy to miss lol. And sometimes they give you the same question twice or just slightly reworded but the same answer none the less.

Paying your dues..... Not even close.

Sounds like every job I've done so far.I'm drawn to jobs with no real thanks or appreciation and if there is any it's short lived and any mistake is remembered forever. The constant what have you done for me lately mentality. And I wouldn't have it any other way :) I don't want to be stuck in a cube farm.

Slight change in plans

Lol I have that same attitude, I actually went 6 years for a supervisor that no one could work for and for 4 years before me they went through 6 or 7 people in my position. I never let his stress rub off on me and whatever he told me I would evaluate and the real important stuff got addressed and the petty stuff I let slide. It really gets under their skin when they can't get under yours.

Spin-off on cell phones

I didn't want to clutter up the other thread too much but I had a question on cell phones. Currently I'm with Verizon, have been for basically 18 years now, well it was Motorola, air touch, and 1 or 2 others before becoming Verizon but I have never changed carriers. I know they are more expensive but I've never had a problem with coverage and seen others with Sprint, t mobile and AT&T having issues with reception in areas I dint have issue. But... living off my phone without having Wi-Fi available at home and work will put a hurting on my data plan probably.

So what is everyone using for cell plans? Is t mobile decent? They definitely seem the cheapest. I'm almost tempted to just pick up a mobile hotspot device from t mobile and use that and even Wi-Fi for my Verizon phone and if service sucks have Verizon data for backup. I'm just brainstorming and rambling while I run through every scenario on what I do next for a career.

Thanks!