Comments By T.W.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar
  • T.W.
  • Comments:

NH trucking? Anyone heard of them?

I am considering joining this trucking outfit. Anyone hear of them? It is regional. I'm thinking of living in the truck since my apartment lease is ending.

Any doctors or people in professional fields now in trucking?

Benjamin I am from Chicago and live in Ohio now. How do you like it there?

Freight Brokering - Pros and Cons.

I keep seeing these ads pop up for "Freight Brokering" and learning how to be an agent.

Is business legit? I hear many are making 100k a year. Total Quality Logistics comes to mind.

What are the pros and cons of freight brokering? Is the turnover high? Is it a stable industry?

Transferring out-of-state CDL to Illinois?

TurboDan great point. I am the same page. Create a Federal mandate to approve a CDL license for all 48 states. That way no need to transfer. Power and money corrupts a system. Every politician has to have their hand in the pie.

Transferring out-of-state CDL to Illinois?

I feel like I am screwed on my CDL if I move to Illinois. This stinks.

I got my CDL in Arizona and ended up in Ohio for a job. Illinois is my home and haven't been back in 30 years. I guess I can go anywhere with my CDL --- except home.

Why do they make this so tough? I got my CDL and full endorsements. Can I get a DL license and put my CDL on hold and add it to my license after a later date?

I only got my CDL in case my job goes south. I will have a back up plan. A CDL is expensive and all 48 states should honor it. Its just a truck driving license. My gosh!

Transferring out-of-state CDL to Illinois?

I have heard its tough to transfer a CDL license to Illinois. I may be moving to Illinois in the future for a sales position(not trucking related) and would like to keep my CDL active. Do I have to retest again in Illinois?

I do not want to throw my CDL away because it was expensive getting it and may use it again in the future.

Thanks.

Why such a high demand for trucking?

Good points.

Truck Drivers and College Degrees??

Errol,

No. I have worked alongside military soldiers in other occupations. Some were cool, others were too bossy and "hard-headed." Plus, I have family in the military and they have told me the same stories. Just not my thing.

Truck Drivers and College Degrees??

weird-science-quote.jpg

The military is waiting for you.......

Truck Drivers and College Degrees??

Put the brakes on....

Before you decide on the military ask yourself these things.....

Do you like being around strong-headed types most of the time. Some guys in the military are cool, but some can be downright arrogant(Think: Chet from Weird Science.) However in a battle they will have your back. Do you mind moving around the country when they ask you to? Upside you get to travel. Can you take orders and like being on a team? Some people like their independence. Can you handle shooting bullets and having bullets shot at you? It may sound badass, until you lose your legs from a grenade. Not cool. Upsides are a healthy pension, respect, and being set for your life if you can make it to your full 20.

Why such a high demand for trucking?

My first response was: Because nobody wants to do it. That is partly true. You have a family and the last thing you want is to be away from them 24/7.

But after much thought....I think it boils down to...

1. Trains run a fixed route so a truck is still required to get the product from the train to its final destination unless the company has a train track beside the building.

2. Trains run a set time route. This means that some companies that are LEAN and JIT can not afford to stockpile large amounts of material as inventory on hand does cost money. ( Imagine purchasing $100,000 worth of material each day of the week and the very next day the material is turned into product and shipped as finished sold product, now imagine a train delivery every 10 days and sitting on $1,000,000 of material).

3. A truck can drop off its payload and reload with finished product withins an hour therefore moving material across the dock faster then preparing for a train.

Anyone want to add to this?

Make 50k a year in trucking vs low paying independence?

Daniel are you stalking me? lol

Make 50k a year in trucking vs low paying independence?

Yes, I read Brett's informational book. Good read. The 24/7 grind is more realistic for truckers. Teaching was similar. (Lesson plans, meetings, grading, coaching, etc) Pay is too low though.

I hear from others that trucking is a lifestyle and can be a headache. Sometimes you are better off working two part-time jobs. Trucking is for the right person who likes the lifestyle, adventure and independence. I like that part. But living in a truck 24/7 with no sink, no shower, smelling like diesel all day, and sleeping in the truck...its kind of like camping.(exchange diesel for woodfire smoke) Sharing a cab with a young guy who is twice my age for a month? Its not appropriate.

Make 50k a year in trucking vs low paying independence?

I work two independent part-time jobs( I am in control of my own schedule) after leaving teaching. It's really nice to not answer to anyone, no meetings, and can take any day off. I would love to start an online business---I tried 10 times and failed at every one of them. I do re-sell on eBay from time to time. The online market is saturated with competition.

I was thinking of getting on with US Express this summer. They offer good wages. The only part is I am not looking forward to the daily grind again. I like trucking part-time just not full-time. Staring at the highway and holding a steering wheel for long periods would bore me to death.

Anyone come to a crossroads where they place higher wages above a flexible, independent lifestyle?

I am giving up freedom to chase that carrot OTR.

J.S. Helwig and Son Trucking review?

I recently saw an ad for Helwig. Anyone work for them? Any reviews?

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

I was a teacher.

Having a bad day, 2 strikes.

You have to soldier up, get in the truck --- and dominate it! Make it do what you want it to do.

Act like you are in an airplane and you lost a engine. Your job is to land that plane safely with 200 passengers aboard or you all perish. Your mind will be so focused--not even a fly on your nose will distract you.

FOCUS AND DOMINATE.

Having a bad day, 2 strikes.

When I took the skills test I pretended someone held a gun to my head. I literally had sweat on my temples. My extreme focus and intensity helped me pass the test. I maneuvered around the cones very slowly and calculated the moves in my head.

When it was done my heart was pounding. That is the level of intensity you need to be at.

Sex life of a truck driver

How many guys can deal with less sex being OTR so much? Lets eliminate the ugly lot lizards because they are not attractive.

I'm talking about leaving your wives and girlfriends behind. Also, if your a single guy -- how does he get laid? I worked in hotels for 15 years and was always around beautiful flight attendants and hot women. So--I had my share of fun and awesome experiences.

But how does a truck driver deal with not getting intimate with a hot woman? Driving and rarely getting laid OTR has got to be depressing.

Any thoughts on this?

Who holds the longest wait at Shipper/Receiver?

It wouldn't bother me to wait 48 hours to be unloaded. I would enjoy the downtime and rest from driving across country. Again, trucking is a lifestyle. Enjoy travelling. Take a nap when waiting. Surf the net. Call loved ones. Read a book. Eat and watch TV. Enjoy the freedom. If you think you want to get rich from trucking you are mistaken----there has been a cap on that for a long time.