Profile For Brent B.

Brent B.'s Info

Visalia, CA

Company Driver In Training

7 years, 1 month ago

Brent B.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Going To Knight Refrigerated Orientation

Got my orientation confirmation. Heading to Phoenix on Sunday. Again, any advice from those of you who have been through Knight Refrigerated orientation would be helpful and most welcome. Thanks!

Starting training on May 5th

Hey Chris,

I went through Central Refrigerated Trucking School. Overall, it was very good. I have one recommendation. It is very fast paced, so if you are a person who likes to be thorough and take your time in learning new things, I would NOT recommend Central. If you are a fast learner, I wish you the very best and say, GO FOR IT!!!good-luck.gifgood-luck.gif

Going To Knight Refrigerated Orientation

That's awesome Brent!

My advice is to approach it like you would the military. Expect them to throw every challenge imaginable at you. Expect to meet people you don't like. Expect to follow procedures that seem to make no sense. Expect everything and anything. But most of all expect yourself to figure out a way to stay the course and see it through successfully no matter what.

There isn't anything you're going to come across that you can't handle. There won't be any challenges you can't overcome. They won't expect anything of you that hasn't been done by millions of drivers that came before you. As long as you stay fiercely determined to do what it takes to be successful, you will be.

Almost nobody ever fails at their trucking career because they weren't capable of becoming a professional driver. They quit because they can't handle it or they screw it up for themselves by having the wrong attitude or expectations. You've been around here for a while. You've heard our take on how to be successful in this industry. And you've even been out there to test the waters. Now is the time to go out there and make it happen. No excuses, no quitting, no settling for anything less than success.

Take that fierce determination in there with you and you'll come out the other side a professional driver. No question about it.

smile.gif

Thanks, Brett. I appreciate the motivation, advice and encouragement. I am sticking with it through thick or thin, this time. This isn't just about me, it is about my wife and two boys. Time for me to man-up! I am excited, humbled and blessed for another opportunity!

Going To Knight Refrigerated Orientation

It's a go. Plane ticked is purchased and I am heading to Phoenix this Sunday to start orientation at Knight Refrigerated. Excited for another chance and going to make the most of it. It is all about MY attitude. Going in there with that mentality will be very productive for me. Anyone who has been thru Knight Refrigerated orientation and currently works for them, I would love your advice. Actually, advice from any of you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Round 3

Well, round 3 starts on April 21st. Got a plane ticket for $30 more than a bus ticket. You bet I am flying! Heading to Knight Refrigerated orientation, in Phoenix, AZ. I have not had very good luck with my first two companies, but I am planning to stick it out through the good and tough times. I do have a back up plan with another trucking company, just in case Knight sends me home for some reason, during orientation, but I am not going into this with that mentality. Yes, I did think enough to stagger the dates with the other company, just in case. :) . If there is anyone from Knight Refrigerated in this forum, I would love to hear from you, or any one of you. Thanks!

Recruiter Contact

My rule of thumb has always been…"When in doubt, go above and beyond, and document everything".

Agreed, LittleJoe!

Well, round 3 starts on April 21st. Heading to Knight Refrigerated orientation, in Phoenix, AZ. I have not had very good luck with my first two companies, but I am planning to stick it out through the good and tough times. I do have a back up plan with another trucking company, just in case Knight sends me home for some reason, during orientation, but I am not going into this with that mentality. Yes, I did think enough to stagger the dates with the other company, just in case. :) . If there is anyone from Knight Refrigerated in this forum, I would love to hear from you, or any one of you. Thanks!

Recruiter Contact

Ah! Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the heads up.

Recruiter Contact

Here is the question I asked:

Just to confirm, I do not have to go thru the full school, even though I only have 2 weeks OTR training, correct?

Here is her response:

"Correct, you do not have any further schooling, just 4 weeks out with a trainer".

Is that enough, or should I push for specifics?

Since you already have your CDL, there's no need for you to go through school again.

Yes, I understand that. I am just concerned that there website says a minimum of 3 months OTR experience is needed to work for them. She said it would be OK, over the phone, but she won't confirm by email.

Recruiter Contact

Here is the question I asked:

Here is her response:

Is that enough, or should I push for specifics?

Recruiter Contact

Thanks, Brett. It's just a little disconcerting, especially when their website says they require a minimum of 3 months OTR, yet I have only had 2 weeks of OTR training. I just don't want to get out there, only to be told they made a mistake. I have talked to my recruiter, and she said it would be fine. I guess I just have to trust her, I think?

Recruiter Contact

Is it a bad sign if recruiters are very general in their analysis of your background, yet tell you everything looks good to go?

Did I Burn My Bridges In The Trucking Industry?

Thanks, Tracy! Will give Dawn a call.

Did I Burn My Bridges In The Trucking Industry?

Thanks, Brett! I need motivation like that every so often! If given another chance, I am going to give my best, and not give up! I appreciate your words of wisdom. I will keep you updated on my potential employers.

Did I Burn My Bridges In The Trucking Industry?

Thanks, Old School! I guess I let emotion get in the way of reason and common sense. I should have just sucked it up and got through the training. I will pursue companies with aggression, because I want to show that I can do this job. Even if limited, I need to stay positive and call, repeatedly, those companies I am interested in. Thanks so much for your advice and support.

Did I Burn My Bridges In The Trucking Industry?

Hey Everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on this forum, so I would like to update you. When I last posted, in July, I was leaving to train with Swift. Well, it did not last long. After orientation, I went with my trainer who, I might add, was very good. Unfortunately, after 5 days on the road, my trainer told me I would not be paid for sitting in the passenger seat. The problem is that we were told during orientation that we would be paid x amount for driving and x amount for sitting in the passenger seat. My trainer and I had a conference call with my driver coordinator and she stated that I will be paid for sitting in the passenger seat, as stated during orientation. My trainer decided to pull rank, saying he had been doing this since 1974, and he was not going to let me be paid for sitting in the passenger seat. There was no compromise! My DC was ****ed and I was ****ed. This is a guy who also declared that he had threatened senior executives because of his standing in the company. I was at a loss. My DC said I could go home for a week and discuss things with my wife. She also said I would be welcome back at any time. This meant a lot to me because I did not quit under a load and knew I had the approval of my DC to go home and think things over. Fast forward to today. After discussing things with my wife, we decided to hold off on a return to swift for a few months. My DC was totally cool with that and said I would be welcome back when I was ready. Well, a couple of weeks ago I reapplied and was denied. I called my DC, who said I would be welcome back at any time, and she changed her story, slightly. She said that she meant to say I would be welcome back at any time IF my rehire application was approved. I about fell off my chair. Why say one thing and change it after I reapply?

Here is my problem now. I graduated from central refrigerated trucking school in Oct. 2012. I never started training because of a knee issue and having to take care of my Grandmother, who developed cancer and passed away in June of this year. Since then, I went to work for swift, as explained above and, I have had 3 part-time and temp jobs since then. I have applied at several companies and have been rejected. The reasons I am getting is that I graduated from another trucking company's school, I resigned during training at another and I don't have a minimum of 3 months OTR, even for companies who say that they take CDL graduates with no experience. I have one company that has shown some interest in me, and that is Melton, but I am worried that if I am rejected during the application process, I may be out of options!

I really need some advice, y'all. Did I burn my bridges, or is there still hope for me to get on with a company! Your advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! Brent

Swift, Prime or FFE?

My recruiter, at Swift, has gone to bat for me and is getting things worked out. Looks like I will head back to Swift on Monday and finish up my orientation.

Swift, Prime or FFE?

So, I called Swift headquarters in Phoenix and there safety compliance department told me that any medication taken for anxiety is under there 10 hour rule of no driving. That is swift policy! So, if I have to take my meds at a certain time each day, how can I not refuse loads due to taking a 10 hour break after each time I take the medication? The answer they gave me, and I quote, "I don't know"! So, if I take this medication at 7 each morning, that would mean I have to take a 10 hour break every morning. The problem is, trucking does not operate on that kind of schedule. Why didn't they tell me this when I sent in my application and told my recruiter about these meds? I am very disappointed in swift right now! I mean, I quit my job of 6 1/2 years!

Swift, Prime or FFE?

Well, a little set back today! One of my medications is not allowed to be taken earlier than 10 hours befor I drive, so that is a problem. On the train heading home to visit with my Dr and get my medication changed. I will then head back up to Stockton next Monday and finish my orientation. They had this medication on my application. Why they chose to tell me after I got here, God only knows!

Swift, Prime or FFE?

Day 1 of orientation is over. Passed the road test and my physical. We were at the clinic for 5 1/2 hours getting our physicals done. That was draining! Tomorrow and Wednesday are classroom days and then we should be out with our mentors right after that. I could definitely tell, today, that it as been 9 months since I last drove an 18 wheeler. Looking forward to some good training as we crisscross the country!

Swift, Prime or FFE?

Amtrak ticket purchased. Set out on Sunday at 10:25am. Orientation at the Swift terminal in Lathrop, CA.