Comments By Brian

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-driver-safety.jpg avatar
  • Brian
  • Comments:

NEED HELP

I was running 185/115, had to get meds, dropped to 130/75. Only costs $22 for 3 months of pills!

Brett's Book

Hazmat endorsement cost me about $120 and is good for 4 years in Minnesota, company reimbursed me for the cost, my CDL is also only 4 years, and the hazmat was set to renew with my license

Posted:  6 years ago

Sharing a hotel room during orientation

Werner allowed me to pay a fee of $15 for a room by myself, I would think it is probably available for a price

Posted:  6 years ago

Idiot driver-what would u do?

Did check the parking lot for him, and he definitely left the truck stop

Posted:  6 years ago

Idiot driver-what would u do?

So I was fueling at a love's in oakdale Wisconsin....washing my windshield and saw a driver next to me pouring liquor into his Pepsi bottle!

He pulled away and off he went. I had nozzles in my tanks, and didn't pull out for a few minutes, so I don't know if he went north or south on the interstate. Tried calling his company to report him, but no answer. Thought about calling 911, but not knowing which way he went, and whether they could stop him on hear say anyway left me frustrated.

Posted:  6 years ago

How old, is too old. Please read on........

I am 55 and started last November @ 54 and had never driven a big truck prior!

You gotta LOVE trucking

I told him no problem, but he ended up telling me to go home for a 34 hour reset, and if they still need me, I could do it on Friday

Werner orientation

Went through it last November, just urine at that time, but can always change.

You gotta LOVE trucking

So I got my load home for turkey day and was told I could stay home till Monday...........2 hours later, I get a message on my Qualcomm asking if I could do one more round trip after I deliver to St Paul tomorrow............always changing!

Trucker Paralyzed By Accident While Unhitching Trailer

Werner gives you one with your tool kit, it stays with you from truck to truck, when you quit, you turn it back in with the tool kit

Trucker Paralyzed By Accident While Unhitching Trailer

I have a 5th wheel puller, but with an air release 5th wheel have only used it a couple times when it freezes up in snow storm's.......but have used it multiple times for pulling tandem release handles.

Can really save your butt sometimes.

Hopefully driver that was injured can recover

Hazmat question?

In Minnesota you could take the test, then return with your TSA letter to get the endorsement added.

USE the High Road practice test b4 you test out...... I scored a 96 ( 1 wrong) and it was due to the practice testing!

Posted:  6 years ago

So, about that truck driver shortage ...

I agree it comes down to pay, it's why were out here moving product. Most companies have huge turnover rates because of low pay, and driver's are forced too look elsewhere for better opportunities, thus causing companies continually hiring new candidates to replace those leaving.

Most companies I have looked into don't offer the traditional job type yearly raises.......your pay per mile when you start (not training), is the same as all drivers and remains that way until they raise it for all. Some offer better equipped trucks to lure drivers......APU, fridge, etc

Posted:  6 years ago

Foolproof dropping and hooking in the snow and ice

I learned last year to also when dropping a trailer be as quick as possible in very cold weather. ....I sat too long and my warm tires melted the snow under them causing a large ice patch to form. Took me over an hour to free myself!

Posted:  6 years ago

How long to 100,000 miles?

Took me about 9 months. I am dedicated though, 95% drop & hook so no wasting time with live loads. Also no appointment, 24/7 delivery to 3M plants & D.C.'s helps keep you rolling, I also have a new load assigned before I make my delivery, so it keeps me moving. I consistently run over 10,000 miles per month

Posted:  6 years ago

How long to stay at your first company.

I just made my one year this month, I looked into local opportunities prior to going a full year, and they were available, but the pay was weak. I'm currently researching local jobs again, and have found plenty good paying now that I have the year under my belt.

Just taking my time now to make sure I don't sell my self short, and het the right fit for me.

Posted:  6 years ago

Electronic logs: a minor change.

Interesting, I thought it was a company thing. I pulled away from a dock, closed my doors, slid my tandems, checked out at the guard shack......was listed as "off duty", started down the road as was dinged 12 minutes of drive time, only noticed it because I had exactly 60 minutes left in my day, and it jumped to 48 minutes . I saw an update to the Qualcomm a couple days earlier, so now it makes sense

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

13 months driving OTR is over!!!

The way I understand it, it's the carriers insurance company that is requiring the 160 hour certificate, I was told without it, no one would hire you because they couldn't insure the drivers

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Navajo Express or Werner?

I'm with Werner, started my career November 5th last year, I have been happy, lots of miles on my dedicated account, like all companies, they have things that suck, but I can average taking home $700 per week and get home weekly, or stay out longer

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

I just asked my dm how many miles I have

My other concern on that is your pay, my best paid miles week was around 3800 and at .35cpm I grossed over $1300 for the week